LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I see some folks trying to work out Mickey's route (or intended route). I just wanted to point out a somewhat well-known shortcut through Blackham Coliseum. I used to drive through it all the time when I lived in that neighborhood. It connects to a brand new, well-lit and very pleasant bike path that runs along Cajundome Blvd.

When I was driving on Google Maps today I went down to explore that exact path - but the entrance on the right hand side had a closed gate and it was fenced all around.

I wonder if it is open and shut at regular times every day so that she could accessed that short cut that night.

http://i.imgur.com/5oEF7.jpg

What I "kind of see" is on OUR right, at the end of the car that's "nearest" us (I'm not sure if it's front or back of car, from pic), to the right of the pole. Looks like a person, maybe dressed in dark clothes, slightly bent over and with one arm bracing on the car. To the suspicious mind might look like someone hiding slightly from notice, but observing and ready to make a move.

The scenario that came to mind -- and then I'm going to bed, before I get laughed out of here, LOL -- is that IF that is a vehicle coming at Mickey from the other street, maybe it is a team -- someone on the ground to jostle or distract or grab, someone in a vehicle to harry and take and run -- and this was one attempt to close in on her.

It appears to me that someone is standing there- but it could just be distortion. If the bank has an ATM there than that could explain why someone is there at that time. I think this is the photo used to decide she went up Versailles to St. John so this pic would have the speed limit sign there a d the bank on the right and school on the left. There is no parking in front of the school but surely they must allow parking for the ATM?

When I was driving on Google Maps today I went down to explore that exact path - but the entrance on the right hand side had a closed gate and it was fenced all around.

I wonder if it is open and shut at regular times every day so that she could accessed that short cut that night.

http://i.imgur.com/5oEF7.jpg

I believe they did start locking that gate at some point, but the entrance to the left (from Mickey's perspective) has always been open.

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

Once I saw that Mickey was on St. Landry, I immediately knew this was her route. I utilized this shortcut all the time. I must say that traveling on a bike past the desolate old Our Lady of Lourdes hospital would take courage. This is likely where it went down IMO.
Did you utilize this shortcut by yourself and at night all the time? People have suggested she did this regularly. I also agree with you that something happened around st landry - either the old Lourdes or the delivery area of the imaging center; both scary places to be in daylight.

This happened at greenroom several months ago. Group of guys, one smooth talker buys shots for some girls. Within 10 minutes the two girls were completed trashed. (heard this 2nd hand)

Mickey went to the Greenroom alot. I know her through some friends of mine who went to school with her from kindergarten to college. They say they couldn't think of anyone on the planet less deserving of this heinus crime. I'm terrified that it's happened so close to home... It's not the same riding down the streets, eerie and convoluded.

It appears to me that someone is standing there- but it could just be distortion. If the bank has an ATM there than that could explain why someone is there at that time. I think this is the photo used to decide she went up Versailles to St. John so this pic would have the speed limit sign there a d the bank on the right and school on the left. There is no parking in front of the school but surely they must allow parking for the ATM?

Not local, so don't have a good understanding of where the ATM is, etc. What makes me wonder, though, is the posture I "see", that sort of half-crouch, appearing to be looking in Mickey's direction... and dark clothing (appears to be, not that that means much in these photos). Also, near the ATM would be a "good" spot to park, someone glancing would just think, 'oh, someone at the ATM'

<sigh>

If someone was at the ATM, though, wish they'd track that person down and see if they saw/heard anything significant. (I know if I was at an ATM at that time of night, I'd be sort of hypervigilant, to say the least.)

Did you utilize this shortcut by yourself and at night all the time? People have suggested she did this regularly. I also agree with you that something happened around st landry - either the old Lourdes or the delivery area of the imaging center; both scary places to be in daylight.

I haven't ridden my bike since it was stolen from outside my apatment two blocks away from where Mickey was last seen. But no i didn't use this at nighttime, not the most avid cyclist. However this is in fact the most possible route IMO.

Is the ATM on the street? A closer look shows the car to be just before the pole with the NO Parking sign and in front/ blocking a driveway in to the bank? Or is this a Find Mickey sign in the color pic?

What I "kind of see" is on OUR right, at the end of the car that's "nearest" us (I'm not sure if it's front or back of car, from pic), to the right of the pole. Looks like a person, maybe dressed in dark clothes, slightly bent over and with one arm bracing on the car. To the suspicious mind might look like someone hiding slightly from notice, but observing and ready to make a move.

The scenario that came to mind -- and then I'm going to bed, before I get laughed out of here, LOL -- is that IF that is a vehicle coming at Mickey from the other street, maybe it is a team -- someone on the ground to jostle or distract or grab, someone in a vehicle to harry and take and run -- and this was one attempt to close in on her.
This attempt would have been unsuccessful at this place because MS made it to St Landry seemingly unscathed; not frantic looking. The two cars, if they were a team, could have had cell phone communication and met up later? I also am thinking more than one PERP here.

This happened at greenroom several months ago. Group of guys, one smooth talker buys shots for some girls. Within 10 minutes the two girls were completed trashed. (heard this 2nd hand)
Is greenroom that place on St Mary before you get to pinhook? What time is it open till at night? Would mickey have tried to go in there?

I can't figure out the streetlights. I went down St Landry from St Mary last night and many lights were not working. I went down St Mary and the side streets ( which do have some very nice houses) and came back to St Landry and the lights were on. I went for gas and a number of street lights were out on the Thruway. Are we conserving energy at night by only lighting some lights at a time or are they programmed for amount of traffic? Anyone know?

Is the ATM on the street? A closer look shows the car to be just before the pole with the NO Parking sign and in front/ blocking a driveway in to the bank? Or is this a Find Mickey sign in the color pic?

don't know about the ATM. There's the pole by the speed limit sign, then behind that another pole (I'm not sure what kind of sign is on there in the color pic), and right behind that pole is where the car is -- I don't think it's blocking the driveway, but not sure

This versailles pic makes me think for sure there was a vehicle in the 'dusk between the trees ' on the corner of parkside and versailles; turning rt and following MS.

Is greenroom that place on St Mary before you get to pinhook? What time is it open till at night? Would mickey have tried to go in there?

Total different direction. It's near the Jefferson underpass/ new AOC studios/ Rosa parks bus station.All bars in Lafayette close at 2 AM.

Looking at the map reminded me that to the right on the northside of Congress St not far from Ryan St they are building several large apartment buildings for women. I saw a white pickup there last night and there are probably more involved. Someone had mentioned outsiders being in the city temporarily.

Mickey went to the Greenroom alot. I know her through some friends of mine who went to school with her from kindergarten to college. They say they couldn't think of anyone on the planet less deserving of this heinus crime. I'm terrified that it's happened so close to home... It's not the same riding down the streets, eerie and convoluded.
I am also terrified. MY parents met and married at Wisdom in the 1960's. I moved after my maternal grandparents died (grandfather worked for butcher air conditioning when they were just putting a/c's in cars in the 1970's. I only recently moved back here 3 years ago; but it is "home' because of my early childhood memories and the fact my elderly parents live here now. I am also terrified. Terrified for anyone, male or female, that goes out alone in old run down hospitals and buildings in this area. I lived in Africa and hitchhiked there more safely than I walk around here. crazy....

I am just trying to figure out if I must upgrade my phone ( it is an LG like MS - but maybe a later model). It has GPS and verizon navigator on it, but I do not have FAMILY LOCATOR (which is supposedly the PING signal ver puts out - 10usd mth). I have an LG env2; does anyone know if this happened to me; would my phone be untraceable like MS?

I need a phone that is traceable. so do my elderly parents.

Total different direction. It's near the Jefferson underpass/ new AOC studios/ Rosa parks bus station.All bars in Lafayette close at 2 AM.
Oh yeah I know now. Greenroom is on Jefferson. What is that bar on st mary before you get to pinhook; they have music, great peanut butter cookies, teas. tables...would she go there?

The ATM is on the edge of the bank; any person next to that dark car would have to get out and walk to the ATM. what would a flier be doing in a pic with that blue car?

BRING MICKEY HOME

EVEN if it means you have to stay up all night to do it!!! going to get some tea...trying not to fall asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels