LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local paper went out and did an extensiive piece on the community effort and the money raised by the restaurants , etc. They personally interviewed all the companys they could find and did a really nice article about the community effort. the article indicated that just the ones interviewed put it at 50k and that did not include the concert with the givers. You can find the article in The Advertiser. The family did not participate in the article even though they were asked. When the article came out, Charlene Shunick and Christina Silvetti posted in their FB that the article was all lies. So these people are lying that they contributed funds to the effort? What was that all about? can someone tell me?

Again. Let it go. Mickey is all that matters.

LA

Also, I want to remind people that The Commuity Foundation was there and available to help with the accounting of this effort. They set up right away and withing a couple of days they made announcements that they had an account set up thru the foundation. This is what they are designed to do. I'm not sure how much money they raised, but I did notice that no effort was being made to strictly utilize their foundation. it seemed to be competing campaigns going. So while I understand had overwhelming this is for a family, the tools were in place for them to have it done by professionals with absolutely no worry. Also, A CPA offered as well, free of charge, to manage all of that and make certain that there was an accounting. that was referenced in The Advertiser article. BTW if I am not mistaken the community foundation got involved in the very beginning as the facilities of the reward money, so that was in the first 48 hours, right?

I hate to be unkind, but I think we have been rather sensitive to your concerns, but again..

The only thing that matters is Mickey.

If you did not donate all of the money, please let it go. If you truly did donate 1,000 please keep itemized records, the IRS loves them.

LA

If it was one of your family, I am sure money would be no object. This is a girl from our community who went missing. If you donated, it's tax deductible.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but really now ... is that all you are worried about? A young girl is missing, it could be a perp that could strike again. Our community deserves to find Mickey and hopefully stop this from ever happening again. Not to mention the family might be reading, and you sound very insensitive.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if anyone thinks I am being caustic.

LA

I think we need to respect Miabella's opinions. Just as you feel so strongly that where the money is going doesn't matter, Miabella (and many others) feel so strongly that it does matter where it's going. I don't believe all Miabella is worried about is the money. That individual has stated they have volunteered both time and money to the effort. He/she is here actively participating in the discussions. Like everyone else, he/she seems to be very much concerned with finding Mickey.

When you bring together lots of people, there are going to be some very diverse opinions. Let's not get caught up in arguing about those. We're here for 1 thing, to find Mickey. Let's not forget that.

Abdella was on local news as of last night saying he had some strong leads...still waiting for a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat yet there is nothing.I have been keeping my eyes open for the white Z71 and taking the necessary steps in reporting what I do come across. IMO there's either a person that does not care if they're seen in their truck or the truck is simply not around anymore...could be sold, dumped, dismantled who knows. There has to be some type of distinguishable marking on that DWT or something to go off of to distinguish it from all 5,000 white Z71's floating around the Lafayette area. Being the bike was damaged according to LE, there very well could be damage to the front bumper, fender, bumper skirting, or elsewhere on the DWT.:rant:

Maybe he felt he had to compete with A.C.I being on the show.

The only thing I care about money-wise is the idea that someone may be taking advantage of this situation and the family to make profit off of Mickey's disappearance. If that has happened I don't think websleuths will allow me to say what I think of those individuals, but use your imagination.

Other than that, if it helps find Mickey I am ok with it.

I think we need to respect Miabella's opinions. Just as you feel so strongly that where the money is going doesn't matter, Miabella (and many others) feel so strongly that it does matter where it's going. I don't believe all Miabella is worried about is the money. That individual has stated they have volunteered both time and money to the effort. He/she is here actively participating in the discussions. Like everyone else, he/she seems to be very much concerned with finding Mickey.

When you bring together lots of people, there are going to be some very diverse opinions. Let's not get caught up in arguing about those. We're here for 1 thing, to find Mickey. Let's not forget that.

:tyou:

waiting1979 -

Can you show a zoomed-in image of the bike light on Mickey's bike as she is riding by, then next to it, a zoomed-in image of the light under the truck?

Thanks.

The only thing I care about money-wise is the idea that someone may be taking advantage of this situation and the family to make profit off of Mickey's disappearance. If that has happened I don't think websleuths will allow me to say what I think of those individuals, but use your imagination.

Other than that, if it helps find Mickey I am ok with it.

But does it help? I can't think of many cases where money or lack thereof made a difference as to whether or not a person was found...JMO

Just curious-if LE has video and picture proof that the white truck is the perp and hurt/took Mickey would they be acting with such a lack of urgency? Like, in other cases where a perp or vehicle was caught on camera it was VERY CLEAR that everyone needed to find it. Like, slathered all over media, repeated family appeals, etc. Is there a reason in this case where they would downplay the urgency or importance and request family not remind people to look for it?

But does it help? I can't think of many cases where money or lack thereof made a difference as to whether or not a person was found...JMO

I honestly don't think about financial stuff that much, but I don't guess searchers having food to eat or paying a PI are bad things for a case. Some searchers have found bodies and some PIs have solved cases. I know that is the minimum I would want if one of my loved ones went missing-some fliers, a website, a PI, and funding searches.

Just curious-if LE has video and picture proof that the white truck is the perp and hurt/took Mickey would they be acting with such a lack of urgency? Like, in other cases where a perp or vehicle was caught on camera it was VERY CLEAR that everyone needed to find it. Like, slathered all over media, repeated family appeals, etc. Is there a reason in this case where they would downplay the urgency or importance and request family not remind people to look for it?

Exactly.

They wouldn't have released just the one still of it either.

But it's just the VOI, not yet THE truck.

Hi guys, I remember early on that a poster mentioned that local farmers and landowners should watch for birds circling (around remains, I guess).
Driving today on I-10 east between Lafayette and BR, I noticed 4-6 large dark birds circling over a wooded area (or back behind the wooded area that borders the interstate) on the side of I-10 W (the opposite side of the interstate that I was traveling on) around mile marker 149. Is this something worth calling in? I have no idea if this is a lot of birds or what kind of birds they were other than that they were very large. If it is, I will also message ACI although I am sure he will see it here.

I honestly don't think about financial stuff that much, but I don't guess searchers having food to eat or paying a PI are bad things for a case. Some searchers have found bodies and some PIs have solved cases. I know that is the minimum I would want if one of my loved ones went missing-some fliers, a website, a PI, and funding searches.

Yeah, I just prefer to donate to professional non-profit search groups like Klaas Kids, I guess...am a little leery about all of the bracelet and t-shirt selling in so many of these cases...JMO

I have read lots of negative things concerning the donations and thought it was safe to assume that most of those people who were complaining, had not taken a dime out of their pockets. I guess maybe there are some though, who did donate time or money, not out of the goodness of their hearts but for some other reasons. I think most who donated cash, food and drink items, search supplies, bought t-shirts, bracelets, etc. did so from a place in their heart that would never ask for it back or question where each cent went. Personally, I put what money I could afford to the cause, but I'm not going to sit down and add up every penny and announce the dollar amount to anyone in order to receive some sort of recognition. I chose to donate cash, I have a shirt, every color bracelet, I chose to drive my own vehicle to searches instead of riding in TES vans. I didn't whip out my calculator to add up how much in gas it took to get there and back each time. And I am not going to put a dollar amount on every hour of my time, it's just something I chose to do. I didn't have to, I just wanted to. My only regret was that it was not enough, b/c it did not bring her home!

I think if LE wanted to find that truck, they would've by now.

Case in point: ACI said that he looked up the truck in a database and said there were only 3...and none of them were questioned by LE.

Did he say PI, LE or both?
We need to be careful we don't put words in his mouth.

Hi guys, I remember early on that a poster mentioned that local farmers and landowners should watch for birds circling (around remains, I guess).
Driving today on I-10 east between Lafayette and BR, I noticed 4-6 large dark birds circling over a wooded area (or back behind the wooded area that borders the interstate) on the side of I-10 W (the opposite side of the interstate that I was traveling on) around mile marker 149. Is this something worth calling in? I have no idea if this is a lot of birds or what kind of birds they were other than that they were very large. If it is, I will also message ACI although I am sure he will see it here.

Wouldn't hurt.

Always a first time! We devoted our time and a considerable amount of money hoping the family uses it however it can help, no questions asked, no strings attached.

Yeah, I just prefer to donate to professional non-profit search groups like Klaas Kids, I guess...am a little leery about all of the bracelet and t-shirt selling in so many of these cases...JMO

I definitely agree there.

I have wondered the same thing. Two cute little blonde sisters, imo, might have goofed around, laughed about people who tried to pick them up. Just a hunch. I think it is possible that someone got upset with them that night. And they were drinking because she was still hungover.

I have too, I know how I am when I hang out with my sisters. We are Laffy girls to the core. We definitely have a lot of fun, and sometimes at the expense of others.

Perhaps someone tried to hit on them, and she told him where he could go...

Just a thought.

LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members