LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I remember early on that a poster mentioned that local farmers and landowners should watch for birds circling (around remains, I guess).
Driving today on I-10 east between Lafayette and BR, I noticed 4-6 large dark birds circling over a wooded area (or back behind the wooded area that borders the interstate) on the side of I-10 W (the opposite side of the interstate that I was traveling on) around mile marker 149. Is this something worth calling in? I have no idea if this is a lot of birds or what kind of birds they were other than that they were very large. If it is, I will also message ACI although I am sure he will see it here.
--------------
Someone posted the videos of the Meredith Emerson case. The perp. murdered 4 people. And, yes, one victim's body was found because of buzzards circling above an area of forest.

My opinion....I believe since the photo was released of the DWTIQ, LE has located additional photos or videos of Mickey farther into her route. It's been hinted by several (including ACI) that footage of Mickey exists past the Circle K. That's why I think LE is not making a big deal of the DWTIQ anymore, they know it's not involved.

At this point I believe we need to forgoe sleuthing the DWTIQ and move on.

I have read lots of negative things concerning the donations and thought it was safe to assume that most of those people who were complaining, had not taken a dime out of their pockets. I guess maybe there are some though, who did donate time or money, not out of the goodness of their hearts but for some other reasons. I think most who donated cash, food and drink items, search supplies, bought t-shirts, bracelets, etc. did so from a place in their heart that would never ask for it back or question where each cent went. Personally, I put what money I could afford to the cause, but I'm not going to sit down and add up every penny and announce the dollar amount to anyone in order to receive some sort of recognition. I chose to donate cash, I have a shirt, every color bracelet, I chose to drive my own vehicle to searches instead of riding in TES vans. I didn't whip out my calculator to add up how much in gas it took to get there and back each time. And I am not going to put a dollar amount on every hour of my time, it's just something I chose to do. I didn't have to, I just wanted to. My only regret was that it was not enough, b/c it did not bring her home!

BRAVO! Well said!

--------------
Just saw a crime program yesterday, where a body was found because searchers followed where there were circling buzzards.

Okay, I have no idea if they were buzzards or hawks or whatever or how many would normally be circling around remains of an animal or human (I am a city girl). I will pass it on to ACI and Abdella, though. Thanks, ya'll!

I think we need to respect Miabella's opinions. Just as you feel so strongly that where the money is going doesn't matter, Miabella (and many others) feel so strongly that it does matter where it's going. I don't believe all Miabella is worried about is the money. That individual has stated they have volunteered both time and money to the effort. He/she is here actively participating in the discussions. Like everyone else, he/she seems to be very much concerned with finding Mickey.

When you bring together lots of people, there are going to be some very diverse opinions. Let's not get caught up in arguing about those. We're here for 1 thing, to find Mickey. Let's not forget that.

We're here to find a missing person, not to stir the pot about money.

I can respect her (and anyone's, really) opinion away from this site, but when the sole purpose of this site is to solve crimes, and when mods have repeatedly interjected with "stay on task" reminders, this business of openly questioning the family's handling of finances becomes a sideshow and diverts attention away from where it needs to be.

ETA: JMO and all the usual politically correct disclaimers.

And in case anyone has forgotten? www.findmickeynow.com

main.jpg

A valid point about donations, IMO, is that sometimes these cases do make some people wary about giving in the future and we don't want that to happen...so there is always TES, Klaas Kids or groups like that, who do have to account for their funds, and are always deserving of any donations that people can afford to give. Just as an option for those who feel a like skeptical about these mass drives for sales and money that some of these cases develop. JMO

Just curious-if LE has video and picture proof that the white truck is the perp and hurt/took Mickey would they be acting with such a lack of urgency? Like, in other cases where a perp or vehicle was caught on camera it was VERY CLEAR that everyone needed to find it. Like, slathered all over media, repeated family appeals, etc. Is there a reason in this case where they would downplay the urgency or importance and request family not remind people to look for it?

This is a question I've been asking myself lately. The only good reason I could see for this is that they have a serious suspect and have been waiting for him to slip up and reveal something. If this is the case, the white truck may have just been a distraction or the POI's vehicle and they want him to think they quit looking. I'm hoping this is the case and it isn't that they are just in over their heads... it doesn't make sense to me that ACI found three trucks matching the VOI and none had been contacted, or that there were business owners along her possible route that hadn't been contacted to view surveillance footage. Surely something deeper is going on, right?!

Does anyone know if the City of Lafayette uses street sweepers in
the area that Mickey was seen?

It seems almost impossible for her to have been in an accident...
and for all of her friends to do an immediate search....
and nothing found.

Biking friends...what would you do if you had a flat in that area
at that time of night? Could she stop and repair? Call a friend?

Wish we knew more. Wish the LPD would release more information.

I would not stop and repair, most women do not carry a repair kit even though we should. If this occured, I would make a call and then attempt to walk to the safest well lit place possible.

If the last camera is correct, then she was within walking distance to Circle K and close enough to BW to come to her aid quickly.

LA

Listen, it's not "about the money", it's about Finding Mickey.

IMOO, there seems to be something going on.
I responded to a poster asking for a link and I found it.

I do find it interesting, especially the comments.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/commen...0352/Shunick-search-We-just-wanted-give-back-

Some seem to really be triggered by any money discussion.
It's not personal.

Anyone who donated did so because they wanted to. It's not about that. IMOO.

These are comments from TheAdvisor article. Many comments are about the connection to the $ and political makeup of the town. It's worth considering.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/commen...0352/Shunick-search-We-just-wanted-give-back-

Again, it's not about who donated and who didn't. It's not about that, so please................

It's another aspect of the case---be objective, please.

I think the there is a real possibility she left on her own. It is much more realistic then some of the other scenarios like being kidnapped by Mexicans and sold for human trafficking as a sex slave. Which one is more likely in Lafayette, Louisiana? Really?

As to the money. All of the food for volunteers was donated by local restaurants, etc. And, the PI I am told was paid for by someone else. That may have changed after the first couple of weeks. Most of the flyers were donated, the t-shirts were donated, all the social media team needed to do was put out that they had a need for something, water, tacos, paper, etc. and within minutes someone in the community was having it droppped off.

I really think someone needs to ask if it is possible that she simply ran away or left with someone she knew. That avenue has never been seriously considered.

But does it help? I can't think of many cases where money or lack thereof made a difference as to whether or not a person was found...JMO

So what if it hasn't been many. I'm sure the few whose loved ones have been found think it was worth every cent.

A valid point about donations, IMO, is that sometimes these cases do make some people wary about giving in the future and we don't want that to happen...so there is always TES, Klaas Kids or groups like that, who do have to account for their funds, and are always deserving of any donations that people can afford to give. Just as an option for those who feel a like skeptical about these mass drives for sales and money that some of these cases develop. JMO

My take is these people know their money is going to help find Mickey. If you donate to a large organization, there are staffs and office expenses to pay so not as much money goes to individual cases. If it were like I wish the IRS was and we could say, "Fine, take my money but I want it to go here,
here, and here." great but it doesn't work that way to my knowledge.

Businesses in Lafayette gave TES rooms for 1/2 price when they came to search for Mickey. I can't say for sure but I know it's a tradition in south Louisiana for a community to prepare food and drink for those who come in from other areas to help and I'd be willing to bet it was done in this case as well.

If it was one of your family, I am sure money would be no object. This is a girl from our community who went missing. If you donated, it's tax deductible.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but really now ... is that all you are worried about? A young girl is missing, it could be a perp that could strike again. Our community deserves to find Mickey and hopefully stop this from ever happening again. Not to mention the family might be reading, and you sound very insensitive.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if anyone thinks I am being caustic.

LA

Hey, keep my name out of it! (Kidding. 'Caustic' joke.)

Waiting1979, that photo you have in question is just another example of photo matrixing. It's when images either blend in with each other or are taken from a far distance causing things to blend in making the shapes you are seeing. Also if you follow the timeline of events it appears Mickey was hauling butt on her bike. For the truck to possibly hit her bike at that point she would have had to halt to a dead stop. Thing's IMO do not add up. I am still perplexed by the light source under the truck. Unless there is a crystal clear photo of the truck we will not know. I am sure if she was hit at this point LE would have let people know.

LOL, I agree about the pics. As for hauling butt, she's going at a steady clip, not a casual "family on the trail " ride, but not sprinting.

She probably could have made it home in about 12-17 minutes with stop signs, red-lights and other things we encounter on rides.

LA

Just a thought...

When Mickey first went missing, I was speaking to my 16 yr. old son about the case. We were in the drive-thru at McDonald's and I showed him her posted in the window.

His words: That's a ploy for money!!!! She is not really missing,

I went on to explain that if he were missing I would hope no one thought the way he was thinking.

Money means nothing when someone you love goes missing. As for t-shirts and braclets from other sources...who knows???

Let's find Mickey!!!

I don't believe that Le has a suspect and is waiting for him to "slip up"...not in the case of a missing person who could possibly be alive. If they had a suspect, we would probably see a swat team at the home, as they did in Michelle Parker's case...JMO

Mickeys' family are free to hire any PI they choose. If they are satisfied with their choice, then I can understand them being miffed at being portrayed as clueless and incompetent to make the decision on who to hire. As for "donors" hiring their own PI.....donors to what? The reward? Do we now have tips going to LE, the PI hired by the family and the PI hired by "donors"? :twocents:

I wouldn't say the family is clueless or incompetent, but I would say that at this time in their lives with the trauma they have experienced they may be very vulnerable. This from my own life experience.

I would not stop and repair, most women do not carry a repair kit even though we should. If this occured, I would make a call and then attempt to walk to the safest well lit place possible.

If the last camera is correct, then she was within walking distance to Circle K and close enough to BW to come to her aid quickly.

LA

There was a post on here a while back by someone whose child (I believe it was son, not nephew) is a good friend of Mickey's. The poster said that Mickey had called her son at 3 am one night to get a ride home after she had a flat.

BTW. I think I am ready for a full accounting from the family of the money they raised and how they spent it on the effort to find Mickey. My best guess puts it well over 100,000. I am under the impression that the concer with the givers was over 40,0000. Did they oay for the use of our community park? So did they pay Johnny? Did they pay equusearch? Are they paying Christina Silvetti a salary? are any of the social media team aka Mickey's friends on payroll? everything at Blackum was free. the community donated EVERYTHING! A CPA had offered to help get them organized about the money, for free. So. Let's see the accounting. I am curious. When you solicit the public for help you are obligated to give them an accounting. So I am ready. I want my accounting.

Simply mind boggling.....speechless.

Hi guys, I remember early on that a poster mentioned that local farmers and landowners should watch for birds circling (around remains, I guess).
Driving today on I-10 east between Lafayette and BR, I noticed 4-6 large dark birds circling over a wooded area (or back behind the wooded area that borders the interstate) on the side of I-10 W (the opposite side of the interstate that I was traveling on) around mile marker 149. Is this something worth calling in? I have no idea if this is a lot of birds or what kind of birds they were other than that they were very large. If it is, I will also message ACI although I am sure he will see it here.

Looked on google maps at what I think would be around 149 ( it shows 151). There is a large construction site back there and then looks like quite a bit of power line roads. This says a 2012 image. There is also a white truck in the pic at construction site. Funny how they just keep popping up. Damn stack of needles! I may be way off though on the location being as I'm in the NW USA

Woops!!! Sorry about that! I guess I got excited when I saw "white" and "Chevy" I just jumped to conclusions...well yeah...this jerk could be anywhere. Ask for ID if you get pulled over! :ashamed:

No worries! I did the exact same thing last night! I saw it on the local BR news and they weren't specific, so I jumped the gun too! We are all a little on edge. And, who knows what that creep was up to. Certainly no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels