LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wana ask why they are still searching whiskey bay and not other areas of the basin or other bodies of water. Like is there a reason or info that they have and we don't that makes them keep going back to there? Especially with the current and it being a whole month later I would think that whatever was there to find would be long gone by now like brought farther down by current. It's been a whole month ya know?

I wonder if BFI (city curbside garbage company) has been asked to search their dump site for that particular week following Mickey's disappearance? Or if volunteers have searched this area. IF the perp is local to that specific area (residences in the St Landry to Coliseum Road) Mickey's belongings could have been discarded via the trash.

I wondered that too because the trash pickup day is Monday for the Saint Streets. Maybe that's how nothing was left behind...plus it rained Monday.

Her fmly and friends who knew her best say she would have never left on her own will and believe she was taken. I am apt to believe they know what they are talking about.
I wish she ran away..... Can anything be ruled out though? Can anyone honestly say that they know any single solitary scenario is NOT what happened?

If she left on her own-why would her bike end up 25 miles away in such a spooky place? Surely she would not do that...

Mods: So will we be allowed to ask ACI questions as we did before? Or will he not be able to really post any info at this point? I'm kind of scared to post anything at all now, for fear of haphazardly breaking one of the rules :/

It's been a month, so I doubt there would be much left of a decomposed body in the waters of the atchafalaya, as there are fish, gators and God knows what other crustaceans inhabiting those murky waters. I would think only clothing may survive that environment. Jmo

I wish she ran away..... Can anything be ruled out though? Can anyone honestly say that they know any single solitary scenario is NOT what happened?

While I agree that no scenario can be completely ruled out (due to the limited information given the public)....I respectfully disagree that it's remotely likely she ran away. True, I can't rule it out - but, the few facts we DO have, clearly suggest, at least to me, that this was not a voluntary walk-away. The fact that I consider most glaring in this respect is the bike - if a walk-away, why on earth was the bike found in the condition it was? Why not just park her bike at a local mall and bus it to her new destination? MOO

I wana ask why they are still searching whiskey bay and not other areas of the basin or other bodies of water. Like is there a reason or info that they have and we don't that makes them keep going back to there? Especially with the current and it being a whole month later I would think that whatever was there to find would be long gone by now like brought farther down by current. It's been a whole month ya know?

It could be in part that may be one of the last places Mickey was at after her abduction. There is that possibility she was with the person when the bike was left in the water at the bridge. Just speculating.

If they found or find her backpack around there. That would give them a better idea she was there and they went on east.

I wonder if Mickey had a life insurance policy she took out herself and if it had a beneficiary other than her family. Sometimes you can get those polcies pretty cheap as a student.

Just trying to look at all sides of the coin.

From what I know, Mickey was very excited about attending her brother's graduation, which was taking place later the same day she disappeared at 2am. Just that alone I think is sufficient reason to believe it is highly unlikely that she voluntarily disappeared.

I lean more and more everyday to the idea that she left on her own and will come back when she is ready.

I don't think so. She was already planning to move, and she had multiple pets- inlcuding a horse. Her family is here, and her bike which she was proud of- was tossed in a river. She had no reason to disappear.

Actually, there isn't that strong of a current near the bank. There is a stronger current in the middle. The pictures that were shown with a really strong current were taken last year when the Mississippi was in danger of overflowing the levees in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. To prevent that, they diverted alot of the Mississippi into the Basin- which includes the Whiskey Bay pilot channel.

If you look at Chicken Fried's pictures, the water is relatively calm. There was a fisherman there with his 12 year old daughter. The 12 year old had waded out pretty far, and the water was up to her waist. She would be swept away by a strong current.

There could possibly still be evidence in the water- maybe the backpack was heavy enough to sink, or perhaps they think the DWT may have somehow been dumped there (Though with the height of that bank I don't think so).

Attachments

• WB_Ledge_800.jpg
    WB_Ledge_800.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 36
  • WB_Lt_Bank_View_800.jpg
    WB_Lt_Bank_View_800.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 37
  • WB_Rt_Side_800.jpg
    WB_Rt_Side_800.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 36
If she left on her own-why would her bike end up 25 miles away in such a spooky place? Surely she would not do that...

Her bike could end up there if someone stole it and then realized that it was a high profile bike, all over national news, and then dumped it there.

Where it was placed has easy access off of the interstate and is a high profile dumpin ground for a lot of intersting things, including one of Derrick Todd Lee's victims (30 to 40 yards from where the bike was found).

People who are familiar with that area would have probably picked less noticeable locations in the massive swamp, off the beaten path, if they were trying to hide something.

Everyday I lean more and more to the idea that she may have left on her own. I wonder if anyone else is working on that theory or contemplating that idea?

I think someone said on the previous thread that the search currently going on at WB isn't related to Mickey at all, but that they're looking for submerged cars.

ETA: Found it. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8072945&postcount=1242"]Link to direct post[/ame]

Her bike could end up there if someone stole it and then realized that it was a high profile bike, all over national news, and then dumped it there.

Where it was placed has easy access off of the interstate and is a high profile dumpin ground for a lot of intersting things, including one of Derrick Todd Lee's victims (30 to 40 yards from where the bike was found).

People who are familiar with that area would have probably picked less noticeable locations in the massive swamp, off the beaten path, if they were trying to hide something.

Everyday I lean more and more to the idea that she may have left on her own. I wonder if anyone else is working on that theory or contemplating that idea?
The damage to the bike (from what we know of it) seems to indicate the bike was possibly bumped, either intentionally or accidently. If someone were to steal the bike and wanted to dispose of it, they could have dumped it on a sidewalk and simply left it, rather than driving it that distance (I'm assuming they didn't ride it to Whiskey Bay, or how would they have left with no means of transportation?). IMO

Mods: So will we be allowed to ask ACI questions as we did before? Or will he not be able to really post any info at this point? I'm kind of scared to post anything at all now, for fear of haphazardly breaking one of the rules :/

We should be hearing back from management soon enough. As long as you stay away from the topic of PI vs PI, you'll be safe. If you aren't sure, you can send a PM to a mod and ask too. But we'll have more definitive guidelines soon. Hopefully by the end of today. :tyou:

I think someone said on the previous thread that the search currently going on at WB isn't related to Mickey at all, but that they're looking for submerged cars.

ETA: Found it. Link to direct post
I got the impression they were looking for a submerged vehicle, but I don't think it was stated whether or not it might be related to Mickey's disappearance.

I wonder if Mickey had a life insurance policy she took out herself and if it had a beneficiary other than her family. Sometimes you can get those polcies pretty cheap as a student.

Just trying to look at all sides of the coin.

Yes, that is possible. If that was the case, and it could very well be, someone has to be declared dead in order to get the policy. In this case, we have no reason to believe MS is dead, and neither does LE. A judge would have to rule, and this process is time consuming at best.

I do not think someone that young would take out a policy. Usually parents do that sort of thing. I know I have one for my kids, and I am the beneficiary. It is a standard small policy payable in the event of death, and only enough to cover expenses.

JMO and all that jazz...
La

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members