LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the body were weighted down in the water - maybe out in the middle of the lake/river/bay --- would the dogs still be able to pick up the scent?

There is a way they can take a water sample and test it for decomposition. But no way to know if it is human or otherwise. I have seen this method used when divers have been lost in underwater caves.

Or you could take I10E to Jacksonville, then 95N to Benson NC and pick up 40N. Wasn't someone missing from Jacksonville?

Driving directions to Raleigh, NC

Lafayette, LA

1. Head east on W Vermilion St toward S Buchanan St

16 ft

2. Take the 1st left onto S Buchanan St

0.3 mi

3. Slight right onto W 3rd St

0.3 mi

4. Turn left onto SE Evangeline Thruway

0.1 mi

5. Continue onto US-167 N/​NE Evangeline Throughway

1.7 mi

6. Take the exit onto I-10 E toward Baton Rouge

56.3 mi

7. Slight left onto I-12 E (signs for Hammond)

86.2 mi

8. Merge onto I-10 E
Passing through Mississippi

Entering Alabama

103 mi

9. Slight left onto I-65 N (signs for Montgomery)

* aproximately 1, 000 miles to Raleigh, NC-Interstate all the way...

Ok. But, not really. Lafayette hasn't always had the college town feel, say like Austin, (City pop of 790,000 with 67% under 40 years of age. Austin was voted "America's No.1 College Town" by the Travel Channe) but revitalizing downtown, UL growth, etc it feels that way now, although small. The heart of lafayette is oil and gas. Raleigh has a population of 400,000 and it also has five universities. So of the 400,000 people in Raleigh, according to the 2010 census, 100,000 of them are college students. Then take into account the people that are employed at those universities and their families. That's at least 1/3 population.
NYC on the other hand is closing in on 9million people. Not even a comparable ball park.

I think towns are called college towns simply because they have a college. I mean, if you aren't a student or aren't going to a sporting event, you really don't go on campus much. That's just my opinion from the towns I've lived in with universities - Tuscaloosa, Lafayette, Lake Charles, and Baton Rouge.

It may be different in other cities depending on the lay out of the university and the traffic etc., but for the most part, if I wasn't attending the university, I didn't go onto campus much.

My point is that if these 2 crimes are related, i think it's as simple as him knowing that cute girls ride their bikes in the dark around college campuses. Period. and he has ties to these 2 towns somehow. why Lafayette and why Raleigh? The perp must have a connection to these 2 cities. Maybe he's from (born and raised in) Raleigh and lives in Lafayette or vice versa?? again, i'm speculating as if the crimes are related.

AMW short announcement.
Old yes but wanted to post regardless.

Thank you for fixing my link JBean. I always by habit check the link before and after posting in a new tab just to be sure it is working. I have no reason why it was not.

As for dogs finding dead bodies in water, I swear there was a case where my Dad docks his boat where dogs DID help them find the body. There was a bad accident and one of the children's bodies was underwater and they couldn't locate it. News reported that dogs helped narrow down a specific area and then they found the poor baby 100 feet down. How is that even possible? I am assuming it would be possible for Mickey too, or was it a special case because they KNEW the body was there and just couldn't pinpoint the exact location?

Or you could take I10E to Jacksonville, then 95N to Benson NC and pick up 40N. Wasn't someone missing from Jacksonville?

Beaches memorial service for slain Jacksonville woman draws 100 ...
http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crim...al-service-slain-jacksonville-woman-draws-100

Jun 19, 2012 – Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition ... times and last worked as a waitress at Emperors Gentlemen's Club. She was last seen leaving her Southside job on June 1 and her body was found nine days later outside a nearby motel

As for dogs finding dead bodies in water, I swear there was a case where my Dad docks his boat where dogs DID help them find the body. There was a bad accident and one of the children's bodies was underwater and they couldn't locate it. News reported that dogs helped narrow down a specific area and then they found the poor baby 100 feet down. How is that even possible? I am assuming it would be possible for Mickey too, or was it a special case because they KNEW the body was there and just couldn't pinpoint the exact location?

My DH is in a SAR group and one of the dogs in that team is trained for water recovery and has, in fact, found a (deceased, unfortunately) person in the water.

I know he said this, but, I tell you it blows my mind that in 2012 there any cell phones left like this. What kind can and can't be tracked, pinged, etc?
The kind that has the battery out cannot be pinged. :)
Now my DH and one of my boys have phones that do not have an accessible battery so perhaps they would not have this issue? not sure.

Beaches memorial service for slain Jacksonville woman draws 100 ...
http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crim...al-service-slain-jacksonville-woman-draws-100

Jun 19, 2012 – Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition ... times and last worked as a waitress at Emperors Gentlemen's Club. She was last seen leaving her Southside job on June 1 and her body was found nine days later outside a nearby motel

She rode a bike. Anyone know if it was found?
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...-of-missing-woman/d6Mwwxjjyk--WkpT8gaj2A.cspx

The gases and bacteria of decomposition, travel up and break the surface of the water, so the dogs can pick up on it.

----------

Perhaps this reference posted previously, got you, like me thinking about bike paths:

I brought up the "Bike Path Rapist"- (NY) case. I followed this closely on another crime website, when the news broke that the FBI had finally been able to get this guy's DNA from the glass and flatware where he had been dining with his wife. He had gone undetected for decades and another man was wrongly imprisoned for some of the crimes.

Altemio Sanchez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My friend was his last victim.

IIRC this is the same McDonalds that MS and BW went to the night she went missing.
Just coincidence I am sure, but strange, being they all were from New Iberia in both incidences.
JMO

Do you mean the taco bell that Mickey & BW went to the night she went missing? If so, yes it's the same taco bell.
Lafayette Police are investigating a shooting that happened around Sunday morn 2:30am in the Taco Bell parking lot on Congress St. Lafayette, LA
http://www.klfy.com/story/18925869/late-night-shooting

There was a case just the other day, 2 young boys were with their father on a boat and someone in a 2nd boat came by and crashed into them. The dogs picked up the scent from 113ft under the surface.

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/teens-body-recovered-lake-lanier/nPfSW/

OT - FYI-

http://www.nwherald.com/weather/

Algonquin co, IL, child sex abuse 
suspect is Gacy’s nephew
By SARAH SUTSCHEK - ssutschek@shawmedia.com
Created: Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:30 a.m. CDT
Comments (14 comments)
Text Size: AaAaAaAaAa
WOODSTOCK – A jury will not hear that an Algonquin man accused of sexually assaulting a child is the nephew of serial killer and rapist John Wayne Gacy, a judge ruled Friday.

Raymond M. Kasper, 49, is charged with multiple sex offenses, including predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child. ...

OT - FYI-

http://www.nwherald.com/weather/

Algonquin co, IL, child sex abuse 
suspect is Gacy’s nephew
By SARAH SUTSCHEK - ssutschek@shawmedia.com
Created: Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:30 a.m. CDT
Comments (14 comments)
Text Size: AaAaAaAaAa
WOODSTOCK – A jury will not hear that an Algonquin man accused of sexually assaulting a child is the nephew of serial killer and rapist John Wayne Gacy, a judge ruled Friday.

Raymond M. Kasper, 49, is charged with multiple sex offenses, including predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child. ...

I wish there was a OMG option next to thanks.

Many years ago, long before cell phones, I lived in Lafayette for awhile and would travel back and forth to New Orleans pretty frequently. I always had a fear of breaking down on the AB bridge. Sure enough, I left Lafayette one afternoon and broke down a few miles from the on ramp. What to do???? Got out and opened the hood praying that a state trooper would come along. Nope. Just a truck driver who offered to drive me to a service station at the exit. My only other option was to wait for a trooper and risk being knocked off the bridge by an oncoming car. Walking was pretty much out of the question. Fortunately for me the truck driver was a decent person. He brought me to the station, but then I had to travel with the wrecker all the way to the west side and back east to pick up my car. A friend picked me up, and I returned to Lafayette until my car was fixed the next day. I was an attractive 22 year old woman at the time, and very lucky.
So glad that you were safely returned Home.
I'd like to think that there are some decent people in this world that do what is right but as I age they seem to be getting scarce.

I still have hope and faith that Mickey will return home. Daily prayers for Mickey and her family to have hope, faith and strength. :angel: May God Bless Them....

May 5th someone I know was assaulted downtown after 2 AM by several guys.
May 18/19 Mickey & Brettly went to Taco Bell on Congress.
May 19th Mickey disappeared around 2AM
May 20th after 2 AM a guy and a lady were both assaulted and robbed downtown.http://www.katc.com/mobile/news/simple-robbery-arrest-police-still-searching-for-3-suspects/ One guy -- from New Iberia was arrested, the other 3 (from New Iberia?) got away.
7/1/12 Two males from New Iberia are shot, one killed, in the parking lot of the same Taco Bell that Mickey & Brettly went to.

I personally spoke to a detective about the possible
connection between the assault on 5/5 and Mickeys disappearance on 5/19 at Ryan St and was told the PD knew about these happenings downtown and didn't think there was any correlation.At the time I was not aware of the assaults that happened on the 20th.

It could be there is no correlation- maybe someone angry about a drug deal
or something, but coming right after someone shooting at a local funeral home is rather creepy.

oh my my!!!!! that's a LOT of violence. what is going on down there in lil' ol new iberia and lafayette?!!

drug related? - the taco bell stuff not mickey

I wish there was a OMG option next to thanks.

This issue has raised its hand with me before. Here is the situation: A man with an odd last name was arrested for raping several boys over a 4-year period of time at a church I once attended. On doing his background, I noted that in 1900 a man with the exact same odd last name was hung for rape. Now, at present the man arrested for raping the boys has brothers who are serving in churches across the country. The moral dilema is: Who do you tell? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven