LA - Six teens for brutal assault on 17yo boy, Jena, 2006

WOW Thanks Rox Ann that is a neat little comentary. I hope it helps. You would think there would be more news 85,000 views Why isn't some high profile attorney helping?

For me, this case underscores the power that is held by local district attorneys. They have complete discretion over the cases that are prosecuted and those that are not. Presently, the only remedy is an angry electorate. It would take an amendment to the state constitution to change this. Unfortunately, this part of the problem will most likely be overlooked because of the racism issues.

Does anyone know what law was broken by hanging the nooses from the tree?

That's the kind of racism that doesn't make it big in the media broadcasts because it is so ugly! Something like Michael Vick gets tons of press. I haven't even heard of this case until it was brought up on a Vick thread. I'm surprised Cal hasn't posted on this one. And some people wonder why some blacks have the attitudes they do about whites....not only is their treatment historical, it still happens today. I find that embarrassing and shameful. Those that argue/blame blacks always play the race card should be on this thread too. Funny that no one has posted here that are making so much noise about blacks defending Vick haven't said a word here. Amazing this thread only has 7 posts and was started weeks ago...seems everyone would rather argue *IF* Vick is being judged before his trial because he's black. Yet no one wants to talk about this.

Nobody wants to talk about it because it's so damned frustrating to do something about! I'm a southern boy from B'ham and have had it over the top with this racist crap. I keep it out of my life and try to reeducate those who don't keep it out of theirs. How do we send a message to Jena that this isn't tolerated here without making them further entrenched? My suggestion would be to wait until the higher courts blow this out of the water and invite Jena to come into the 21st century on the coattails of the ruling, but I'll take any other reasonable alternatives to try to right this more quickly. The "boys will be boys" attitude of the school officials to a terroristic threat is appalling.
You're right, talking about it is the first step to elevating the public awareness

BTW Cyber, racism is everywhere, even sacred Canada. Get the log out of your eye and that sort of thing.....

Crypto6

For me, this case underscores the power that is held by local district attorneys. They have complete discretion over the cases that are prosecuted and those that are not. Presently, the only remedy is an angry electorate. It would take an amendment to the state constitution to change this. Unfortunately, this part of the problem will most likely be overlooked because of the racism issues.

Does anyone know what law was broken by hanging the nooses from the tree?

I don't know LA law (no pun intended) but here in TN it would be issuing terroristic threats. It's identical to threating to hang someone, and it isn't taken as a prank.

You're right about the DAs; only an aggressive state AG could fix this.

Crypto6

Crypto6

Wow I cant believe I live in Louisiana and havent heard of this, but I am well aware of racism in Louisiana. There are a few places where its like that. So sad that after all these years people cant get over it and accept everyone.

I don't know LA law (no pun intended) but here in TN it would be issuing terroristic threats. It's identical to threating to hang someone, and it isn't taken as a prank.

You're right about the DAs; only an aggressive state AG could fix this.

Crypto6

Crypto6
What could an aggressive state AG do?

Last time I checked, nothing! Not even the governor can overrule a district attorney! It would take a constitutional amendment to rectify the problem of these all powerful district attorneys. It's astonishing, but every time a case has gone to court, the district attorneys have ended up with more power! It's scary. :eek:

What could an aggressive state AG do?
Last time I checked, nothing! Not even the governor can overrule a district attorney! It would take a constitutional amendment to rectify the problem of these all powerful district attorneys. It's astonishing, but every time a case has gone to court, the district attorneys have ended up with more power! It's scary. :eek:

Bully pulpit; make it so hot that DA either gives or is removed. This would have to be one aggressive AG, but it could be done here. The publicity would be a lightening rod. Also, there could be Fed charges; I'll have to look to see if any Fed laws were broken with the nooses.

Yes, you are right that there is too much power concentrated in the hands of the DA. Makes me wonder whether a tribunal system would be better. The additional Fed jurisdiction is in place for that reason; if the good-ole-boy network won't administer justice, the Feds can.

Thanks for the reply; if you've got any good links on this problem, pls send them on.

Crypto6

Bully pulpit; make it so hot that DA either gives or is removed. This would have to be one aggressive AG, but it could be done here. The publicity would be a lightening rod. Also, there could be Fed charges; I'll have to look to see if any Fed laws were broken with the nooses.

Yes, you are right that there is too much power concentrated in the hands of the DA. Makes me wonder whether a tribunal system would be better. The additional Fed jurisdiction is in place for that reason; if the good-ole-boy network won't administer justice, the Feds can.

Thanks for the reply; if you've got any good links on this problem, pls send them on.

Crypto6
One article said Jena is 85% white, 12% black. Doubtful the DA is worried about his job. He is well within the law concerning who he prosecutes, and who he doesn't. I don't have any links for you. I did some research about 10 years ago in the law library at LSU. The courts can't fix this one. A constitutional amendment could but who's going to support it? Don't look for changes any time soon, if ever.

Wow I cant believe I live in Louisiana and havent heard of this, but I am well aware of racism in Louisiana. There are a few places where its like that. So sad that after all these years people cant get over it and accept everyone.
Dearest AmandaBrown,:blowkiss:
Great post from you Amanda.
Louisiana was one of the states that lynched and lynced mobbed many Italian Americans in the 1890's.
Rootsweb

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Thanks very much darkshadows that article was very insightful. I hate that those things happened and wish that we could all get along.

Thanks very much darkshadows that article was very insightful. I hate that those things happened and wish that we could all get along.
To my dearest AmandaBrown,:blowkiss:
I will not forget a case that I learned of a few years ago.
My friend moved here from Chicago and has since moved out of state, He told me of the case of a young teen, named Emmett Till, my friend knows relatives of Emmett.
What a horrific case.
I looked Emmett's case at the prompting of my friend and I was in shock as to what I read.
Emmett's mother decided to have an open casket at his wake, Al Sharpton and the Funeral Director tried to talk her out of it. She xarried on with her wishes of an open casket. I will never forget Emmett and I am glad that I was made aware of him. I never would have known...
My heart weeps..I wish that all mankind could live in peace. I have said this before and I will say it again, we all bleed red.
We can move forward in technology but we cannot move forward with Respect for all human life. Sad but true.

I wish like you do that we could all get along.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

I've heard about this but couldn't find it anywhere. I can't get over 22 years for a fight. I mean the kid went to a party the same night as his "attempted murder", come on. I bet if it were the other way around there would have been no charges.

I signed the online petition several months ago and now get regular updates - I'll start posting them here as I receive them. Thanks for starting this thread - it helps to get the word out and enlighten more people about this blatant racism.

Can we post a link to another forum that has a lot of interesting opinions and accounts by some local folks close to this case? There are several threads regarding the Jena 6. Some posters are trouble-makers but several would fit right in here at Websleuths. I have enjoyed reading their accounts of the events. I just don't want to break any Websleuth's laws by posting the link. :chicken:

One article said Jena is 85% white, 12% black. Doubtful the DA is worried about his job. He is well within the law concerning who he prosecutes, and who he doesn't. I don't have any links for you. I did some research about 10 years ago in the law library at LSU. The courts can't fix this one. A constitutional amendment could but who's going to support it? Don't look for changes any time soon, if ever.

Thanks. I just remember being in B'ham and Memphis during riots and MLK's murder and I know what the weight of a nation looking closely at people can do to help straighten up their act.

Crypto6

Found this interesting tidbit:

The attorney general for Louisiana is the chief legal officer in the state, and his duties are numerous. According to the Louisiana Constitution, the attorney general is to protect the interest of the state by representing it in civil matters and by advising and assisting a district attorney, upon request, in a criminal case.

Also, as a check and balance to corrupt or incompetent district attorneys he may obtain permission from a district court to institute, prosecute or intervene in a criminal prosecution. These duties, as further defined by the Legislature, are extensive and are essential to the welfare of the state and its citizens.

How is it then, that with such vast responsibilities and extensive duties, current Attorney General Charles Foti continues to find the time and the resources to take actions outside the scope of the duties of his office and yet fails to perform those tasked to him? Whether it is incompetence or arrogance, I do not know. But it is obvious that he has a problem focusing on the duties trusted to him by the voters of this state.

Under the previous Constitution the attorney general had the unrestrained power to prosecute any criminal matter that he desired. The Constitution was revised in 1974 and, due to perceived abuses, this power was specifically taken away from the attorney general. Under the current constitutional scheme, the district attorney offices are tasked with the responsibility for criminal prosecutions in their district. It is not the job of the attorney general to seek out individuals for prosecution.

Link

Sounds like the AG can do something here, but probably does't have the political muscle to pull it off.

I see the reason for your prognostication of a poor outcome: The legislature took unchecked power from one official and gave it to many, the DAs. And the Founders knew about unchecked power.

Crypto6

Found this interesting tidbit:

The attorney general for Louisiana is the chief legal officer in the state, and his duties are numerous. According to the Louisiana Constitution, the attorney general is to protect the interest of the state by representing it in civil matters and by advising and assisting a district attorney, upon request, in a criminal case.

Also, as a check and balance to corrupt or incompetent district attorneys he may obtain permission from a district court to institute, prosecute or intervene in a criminal prosecution. These duties, as further defined by the Legislature, are extensive and are essential to the welfare of the state and its citizens.

How is it then, that with such vast responsibilities and extensive duties, current Attorney General Charles Foti continues to find the time and the resources to take actions outside the scope of the duties of his office and yet fails to perform those tasked to him? Whether it is incompetence or arrogance, I do not know. But it is obvious that he has a problem focusing on the duties trusted to him by the voters of this state.

Under the previous Constitution the attorney general had the unrestrained power to prosecute any criminal matter that he desired. The Constitution was revised in 1974 and, due to perceived abuses, this power was specifically taken away from the attorney general. Under the current constitutional scheme, the district attorney offices are tasked with the responsibility for criminal prosecutions in their district. It is not the job of the attorney general to seek out individuals for prosecution.

Link

Sounds like the AG can do something here, but probably does't have the political muscle to pull it off.

I see the reason for your prognostication of a poor outcome: The legislature took unchecked power from one official and gave it to many, the DAs. And the Founders knew about unchecked power.

Crypto6
That is very interesting! Now I see there is a sliver of hope when one finds themselves confronting a rogue DA. However, I see the AG "...may obtain permission from a district court..." That is a bit disheartening as there is nothing that compels them to do it. :doh:

Did anyone else watch Cooper's report on Jena last night? I thought that he went easy on the town and that really surprised me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back