LA - Six teens for brutal assault on 17yo boy, Jena, 2006

I didn't like how he played up how bad the boy was beaten up. Didn't he go to a party the same night as the fight? If it were really that bad he wouldn't/shouldn't have went to a party the same night.

I have totally missed this story because I couldn't get the original link to work. I cannot believe that this prosecutor is actually going through with this. He seems to have a bad case of Mike Nifong disease.

You know that line between good and evil? He needs to look behind him.

So what kind of time is Mychal looking at now that the conspiracy charge has been moved. What does battery carry? I think he has been punished enough. Really even if he were to be let out tomorrow, what could he do? His whole family would have to move in order for him to go to school. I'm sure he could never return to Jena HS and be treated fairly. The last report I saw said the punishment for fighting is a 3 day suspension light in my opinion, but that's the regulation. I do think the punishment should have been slightly more harsh given the fact the boy was knocked unconscious, but this is an overkill.

I have totally missed this story because I couldn't get the original link to work. I cannot believe that this prosecutor is actually going through with this. He seems to have a bad case of Mike Nifong disease.

You know that line between good and evil? He needs to look behind him.
How can you compare the LaSalle Parish district attorney, who was well within his legal rights and powers afforded him by the Louisiana state constitution, to Mike Nifong, who knowingly and willfully withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense attorneys?

How can you compare the LaSalle Parish district attorney, who was well within his legal rights and powers afforded him by the Louisiana state constitution, to Mike Nifong, who knowingly and willfully withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense attorneys?

I did not mean to imply that this DA was doing anything illegal. My comparison was for his tunnel vision, regardless of many voices around him urging him to reassess the situation. It seems that he, like Nifong, rushed into charges without knowing all of the facts, and now is finding that he may have committed himself to a path he didn't really want to go down.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296888,00.html
NEW ORLEANS — A state appeals court Friday tossed out the aggravated battery conviction that could have sent a black teenager to prison for 15 years in last year's beating of a white classmate in the racially tense north Louisiana town of Jena.
Mychal Bell, who was 16 at the time of the December beating, should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, the state Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ruled late Friday.
Bell is one of six black Jena High School students charged in an attack on fellow student Justin Barker, and one of five originally charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder.
The charges brought widespread criticism that blacks were being treated more harshly than whites after racial altercations at their school.
He was to be sentenced this coming Thursday in a case that has brought international attention to Jena. Civil rights leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have been planning a rally in support of the teens that same day.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296888,00.html
NEW ORLEANS — A state appeals court Friday tossed out the aggravated battery conviction that could have sent a black teenager to prison for 15 years in last year's beating of a white classmate in the racially tense north Louisiana town of Jena.
Mychal Bell, who was 16 at the time of the December beating, should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, the state Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ruled late Friday.
Bell is one of six black Jena High School students charged in an attack on fellow student Justin Barker, and one of five originally charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder.
The charges brought widespread criticism that blacks were being treated more harshly than whites after racial altercations at their school.
He was to be sentenced this coming Thursday in a case that has brought international attention to Jena. Civil rights leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have been planning a rally in support of the teens that same day.

Well, Thank God. It's about time. Now let's see if they actually let the boy out of jail or refile charges so quickly that he doesn't even get a breath of outdoor air. The link provided doesn't explain, but he is under a $90K bond, and even though the conviction was reversed, the charges still stand----as of now. It is up to the DA to decide whether he will retry Mychal (as a juvinile) on those same charges or do something else. Meanwhile Mychal sits in jail even though his conviction has been nullified.

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur36764.cfm

The state third circuit court of appeal says Bell should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, reports the Associated Press.
Bell's attorney, Louis Scott, said he did not know when his client would get out of jail.
"We don't know what approach the prosecution is going to take — whether they will re-charge him, where he would have to be subjected to bail all over again or not," Scott said.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Jena area, I can just about guarantee you that these boys would have been convicted on the harshest charges, jailed and the key thrown away, except for the national news attention.

I am thankful that this has been resolved all kids involved from day one should have been handled appropriately. Now the young man in Ga serving a very long sentence (?20yr) for sex with a minor. And it wasn't rape or forced Should be adjusted. IMO Too many perverts out there not getting anytime at all, and they are adults these guys are kids.

It is horribly sad what Mychal has endured.

1. He never should have had to "ask" if he could sit under a tree. Are you kidding me?! Someone should have started working on that problem a LONG time ago.

2. Finding the nooses in the tree. I can honestly promise you that I can not IMAGINE how that would feel. How horrible to be a KID heading to school and look up under a tree and see that. Just makes me shiver!

3. The charges, well we all know how much BS that is. And having to sit in jail, go through trails, FIGHT for rights that as an American he should have been treated with.

This young man has been through so much. He will never be a carefree child (if he was ever carefree to begin with, it must be very hard to live in a racially charged town.), He may even RIGHTFULLY have a chip on his shoulder the rest of his life! Just thinking that his family and himself are HAPPY, there is nothing to be happy about because it shouldn't have happened this way in the first place, It just breaks my heart...

It is horribly sad what Mychal has endured.

1. He never should have had to "ask" if he could sit under a tree. Are you kidding me?! Someone should have started working on that problem a LONG time ago.

2. Finding the nooses in the tree. I can honestly promise you that I can not IMAGINE how that would feel. How horrible to be a KID heading to school and look up under a tree and see that. Just makes me shiver!

3. The charges, well we all know how much BS that is. And having to sit in jail, go through trails, FIGHT for rights that as an American he should have been treated with.

This young man has been through so much. He will never be a carefree child (if he was ever carefree to begin with, it must be very hard to live in a racially charged town.), He may even RIGHTFULLY have a chip on his shoulder the rest of his life! Just thinking that his family and himself are HAPPY, there is nothing to be happy about because it shouldn't have happened this way in the first place, It just breaks my heart...

It's a life changer to be the lightning rod for a just cause. I was at the University of Alabama when Cleo Thomas became the first African-American SGA president. He lived in my dorm and we would talk late at night and he'd say "You just can't believe how people will treat you"; death threats, telling you to your face you are not human, and other deeply disturbing events.

accordn2me: Any word on AG action here?? I haven't seen any in the news. I hope he doesn’t let this racially-slanted DA do this damage to six young lives.

Crypto6

Thanks so much for posting links to the rally. I can't wait to watch them when I get home tonight!

Thanks. So far, it seems like it is a pretty good rally! I hope that remains the case.

The judge who overturned Mychal Bell's conviction is now ordering an investigation into why he is still sitting in jail.

Our country, hell our world has one hell of a penchant for violence. God knows I'm no peaceful demonstrator, but I think this event got out of hand on both sides of the racial line.

First of all, this is my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree to it. I may get blasted for it, but I think it must be said.

The noose incident should have been handled properly. The school should have suspended all that were involved and did. Was it a hate crime? I can't quite agree on that. But I can say everyone knows a hanging noose has the same symbolic value of a burning cross in your yard.

There were a few incidents that led to the fight that the Jena6 had. There was a black kid that went to a party and had a beer bottle smashed on his head. That happened shortly before the Jena 6 fight happened. But in my opinion, two wrongs don't make a right. This one white kid was probably (I'm guessing here) acting up and said a few words that set off these six black kids. Six that were probably on a breaking point due to the incidents that led to the fight. But this wasn't a fight. 6 on 1 is a beating. Kicking the person when they are down is even worse.

In my opinion, no matter what the events were that led to the fight, it is never justified to beat and kick someone when they are down. Someone throws a punch at me, I'm gonna punch back. But it's not in my personality to beat someone when they are down. I think the 6 deserved charges of aggravated assault. Charges of attempted murder were by far too much. I think they should serve thier time too.

Ok, getting off the soapbox.

Our country, hell our world has one hell of a penchant for violence. God knows I'm no peaceful demonstrator, but I think this event got out of hand on both sides of the racial line.

First of all, this is my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree to it. I may get blasted for it, but I think it must be said.

The noose incident should have been handled properly. The school should have suspended all that were involved and did. Was it a hate crime? I can't quite agree on that. But I can say everyone knows a hanging noose has the same symbolic value of a burning cross in your yard.

There were a few incidents that led to the fight that the Jena6 had. There was a black kid that went to a party and had a beer bottle smashed on his head. That happened shortly before the Jena 6 fight happened. But in my opinion, two wrongs don't make a right. This one white kid was probably (I'm guessing here) acting up and said a few words that set off these six black kids. Six that were probably on a breaking point due to the incidents that led to the fight. But this wasn't a fight. 6 on 1 is a beating. Kicking the person when they are down is even worse.

In my opinion, no matter what the events were that led to the fight, it is never justified to beat and kick someone when they are down. Someone throws a punch at me, I'm gonna punch back. But it's not in my personality to beat someone when they are down. I think the 6 deserved charges of aggravated assault. Charges of attempted murder were by far too much. I think they should serve thier time too.

Ok, getting off the soapbox.

Then I just want to know what you WOULD call nooses hanging from tree's? I mean why is that not considered a hate crime!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back