Legalities of Unauthorized Family Visits Via Laptop

How often did JB bring his laptop to the jail? Don't items brought onto the premises need to be logged?

If he had an air card, he would still need to presumably go through layers of concrete/steel unless they were meeting in a room on the perimeter of the facility by a window or something like that. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how good your cell connectivity is, you aren't getting through.

Does anyone know if cell phones are allowed to be carried inside the premises of the jail by counsel? I'm guessing that it could be one of those items that are kept locked in a locker until they finish their conversation for the very purpose of not allowing inmates to circumvent the system, but I don't know for sure.

Seems like this would be a pretty easy thing for the prosecution to subpeona if they believed they had grounds. And, buh bye JB bar licensure if it's true, this time for real.

So, let's say that the A's and KC have been having "virtual" meetings via webcams - is this legal? This looks like a clear circumvention of the jail's visitation policy to me.

Any legal eagles know the answer?

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

I agree everyone needs secured wireless but I know many who do not even have their own wireless & get in using a neighbors. Me, I have secured. I would not even begin to know how to access someones private info from an unsecure wireless but I promise you my son in law could. I would think the jail would have secure wireless but I would bet the church does not. If the jail is saying & KC herself said she has watched news via his laptop, even watched NG on his lap top than JB is getting internet at the jail.

i dont think there were any webcams on for LA. this family is pretty transparent, and i'm sure CA would have been elbowing Lee out of the way for some "face time". JMO

ETA : this family is so transparent it's pathetic. i think they truly believe they are smarter than everyone else, and no one will question what they do as long as they deny everything. but that's okay, the world is not as dumb as they end up looking :]

I didnt even see Lee put his lap top up on the podium, when did he do that? Is it possible it was there during Cindy's & George's speech?

Do you remember when George said he had a "locket" placed on him recently & it uplifted him or something to that effect & how Lee kissed the bracelet on his wrist after saying CMA. How fat the teddy bear was? I think all of those items contained some on Casey's ashes. I think George & Lee had jewerly made with her ashes in them, I have a friend who had her husbands ashes in a locket. Cindy may well have one as well. I think the teddy, he was fat, had her urn in it. I just found it odd how George mentioned the locket, Lee kissed his bracelet after the statement Casey made thru JB the day before about Caylee being creamated.

For some reason I don't at all believe that they were linked via webcam at the memorial. Maybe Lee was recording what he was speaking... or whatever, but I highly doubt Casey would even care what was going on that day...

Ibyounger, Will you come back and explain if JB could get around the secure network if he had a cellular air card? Thanks for explaining about secure networks earlier BTW!

I believe the family knew KC was watching on JBs laptop and the 'talking' to her from the memorial was just planned for that reason. He would have to have internet access on his laptop for them to be able to 'research' during his visits. I don't think they would pass emails, because that would be discoverable. I think they might use a message board type of system to communicate. You know, family does 'research' and leaves remarks, and KC can leave remarks during her visits.

They said the things they said during the memorial for dear KCs benefit - not to comfort her but to turn the wheels of the defense.

Ibyounger, Will you come back and explain if JB could get around the secure network if he had a cellular air card? Thanks for explaining about secure networks earlier BTW!

Basically its just using the same service your cell phone uses, it's connecting to a cell tower rather then an access point that is connected to the network, if one exsits, of the jail.

I would think normally the signal would be low or non existent through those thick jail walls. But i would assume with so many detectives and important people moving through that area that cell usage would be important. They could have cellular provider amplifying points in the building. I have installed these at some large hospital buildings. You would have several antennas on the roof of the building that take the cell signal from all the major providers and then access points that boost the signal on each floor for instance.

For all we know KC.. via JB's laptop is IM'ing her parents and LA the entire time JB is there. I don't personally think laptops should be allowed but that is just me..there is too much trickery that can be done. I would put nothing past any of these peeps!

Sleuths - First, I am so sincerely impressed by your skills and abilities. I am in amazement most of the time by your analytical and research skills. There has been a small amount of discussion on this from what I can tell from searching other posts - even a theory that LA's laptop was connected with JB's while he was meeting her in jail during Caylee's memorial service.

For those who know - are meetings via JB's laptop webcam allowed between CA and the family? I must assume that if LE has not approved the family a private face-to-face meeting with CA, they would not approve of her meeting privately via any other means either. Is LE aware of this possibility? Do they monitor CA's and JB's meetings even if no others are physically present? What are the legal ramifications if these unauthorized meetings are proven to have occurred? How could that be proven?

Humbly submitted for your opinions and discussion. Thanks!

WELCOME!
Wonder if JB was warned again by the Fla. bar???
This could be another reason that sent him to the hospital and staying away from kc.
JB has been in trouble hugging, sneaking bracelet in etc.......

I didnt even see Lee put his lap top up on the podium, when did he do that? Is it possible it was there during Cindy's & George's speech?

Do you remember when George said he had a "locket" placed on him recently & it uplifted him or something to that effect & how Lee kissed the bracelet on his wrist after saying CMA. How fat the teddy bear was? I think all of those items contained some on Casey's ashes. I think George & Lee had jewerly made with her ashes in them, I have a friend who had her husbands ashes in a locket. Cindy may well have one as well. I think the teddy, he was fat, had her urn in it. I just found it odd how George mentioned the locket, Lee kissed his bracelet after the statement Casey made thru JB the day before about Caylee being creamated.

ABSOLUTELY! That is my opinion of what 'picking out jewelry for Caylee' meant that through GA over the edge.........probably the day of cremation???

Sleuths - First, I am so sincerely impressed by your skills and abilities. I am in amazement most of the time by your analytical and research skills. There has been a small amount of discussion on this from what I can tell from searching other posts - even a theory that LA's laptop was connected with JB's while he was meeting her in jail during Caylee's memorial service.

For those who know - are meetings via JB's laptop webcam allowed between CA and the family? I must assume that if LE has not approved the family a private face-to-face meeting with CA, they would not approve of her meeting privately via any other means either. Is LE aware of this possibility? Do they monitor CA's and JB's meetings even if no others are physically present? What are the legal ramifications if these unauthorized meetings are proven to have occurred? How could that be proven?

Humbly submitted for your opinions and discussion. Thanks!

I don't believe there would be any wireless in the jail. However, I suppose an email could be displayed if they sent it to JB or in turn a email could be typed up and saved to send to the family from JB.. probably not kosher but they do allow the laptop to be at the jail.

Gypsy, I'm an IT person too. He could easily have had his own air card and would not need to access the jail's network.

Also, even if JB did NOT have an air card, he could have accessed any unsecured network in range ..and not used the jail's (if they even have wireless).

air card bypasses the need to use a network altogether, it connects to internet through cell service.

allows for cool stuff like internet at the beach. or boring stuff and probably illegal stuff like inmates getting internet in jail via their lawyers. :crazy:

Sad thing is, we'll probably never know. Unless there's a warrant for laptops again. But even then, they couldn't get JB's -- 'cause that would probably violate the attorney-client privilege.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

I use a laptop all the time for work. I do not have the key to many companies system in their buildings, but I have a Verizon card and can get internet anytime anywhere. I do not need their wireless to use mine.

I believe that is what Baez would have used. He would not have wanted the communications going through the sheriff's department system where it could be retrieved later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back