Legalities of Unauthorized Family Visits Via Laptop

I think it's a possibility, but I have to wonder, what on earth would they have to say to each other?

Sad thing is, we'll probably never know. Unless there's a warrant for laptops again. But even then, they couldn't get JB's -- 'cause that would probably violate the attorney-client privilege.
That's exactly what I worry about. BUT... If this has actually happened and if someone can figure out how to prove it and/or obtain the content from the family's computer, I believe they have to be a treasure trove of information which could help to solidify the case. See where I'm going? Just how my mind has been working over the past few days...
And thanks, passionflower for the welcome!

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

I considered this BUT JB and/or LA could have a network air card (cell phone card) that connects to the Internet. The jail *may* block cell signals but that impacts them as well.

For some reason I don't at all believe that they were linked via webcam at the memorial. Maybe Lee was recording what he was speaking... or whatever, but I highly doubt Casey would even care what was going on that day...

I don't think LA was using his laptop, unless it was in sleep mode or the screen was just turned off. He had the laptop open to the audience but at 45 degrees, as shown when he closed it. The screen was blank. It didn't seem to be powered. I didn't see an air card.

I don't know whether he just had his speech taped on the screen back or what? It seems bizarre that he used it to prop up his speech. Maybe it is as simple as that, a prop?

I do think KC watched with JB but as stated they could/would connect to any reliable news media service rather than try to connect to LA. There are always issues with technology so why try to get connected and stay connected together when they can feed from any stream.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

If he is using a mobile broadband adapter then he is not going through the jails network, secured or not.

The only way he is not getting out then is if the jail is running cell phone jammers, which alot do these days.

JMHO - I don't think there's a question if JB has internet access. LE has stated in the media that attorneys are allowed to view media websites via internet with their clients during visits. I guess one of my questions is does anyone know if they have supervision during visits because I just feel like this is a very real possibility.

Florida prisons have had a lot of trouble lately with inmates having cell phones and doing all kinds of illegal activities throught them. They have been bring in dogs trained to sniff out cell phones, and have been finding a lot of them. They are just now starting to talk about putting in jammers in the state prisions in Florida.

Couldn't they supena LA or JB's cell phone records and find out if he/they were using their air cards at that time???

This explains a lot... Like why CA hasn't been to visit... She doesn't need to, she and GA can see KC by lap top every time JB visits. As I remember he asked permission to bring his lap top with him when he visited KC, and that permission was granted. Bet the Florida Bar and the FDC would be very unhappy about this if they get wind of it.

I do not know about jails/detention centers in Florida, but I do know that here in Louisiana there is not to be any internet access in the locked down area. There would be internet access in the administrative area.

When an inmate or arrestee is booked into the jail, it is not done on internet. There is various software programs used only in prisons and jails for the booking process, inmate accounts, and inmate data. The one I am most familiar with is the Golden Eagle System. It has an area for everything concerning booking, booking shots, acounting, and commissary and inmate accounts. It has an area for entering money orders into accounts. It has medical as well. Inmates and arrestees are booked in on AFIS, then on Golden Eagle here. Fingerprints are scanned into Afis so no more old fashioned rolling prints in black unless the system is down. That rarely happens, tho. Rap Sheets are done via very secured state system from the administrative area.

Anyway, cell phones and internet access are not allowed in the locked down areas here for security reasons. I am sure Florida is more advanced in their systems than here, so maybe Baez is allowed to use his air card and have internet access while with Casey. I just kind of doubt it, tho. Baez could scan data and pictures into his computer as documents and show them to Casey. Maybe Baez would be allowed to use a CD with the memorial service on it.

I am just against it personally because these inmates are in jail and should not have that sort of privilage, IMO. I know that everyone is considered innocent until proven guilty. Jail doesn't have to be comfortable and should not be. JMO

Florida prisons have had a lot of trouble lately with inmates having cell phones and doing all kinds of illegal activities throught them. They have been bring in dogs trained to sniff out cell phones, and have been finding a lot of them. They are just now starting to talk about putting in jammers in the state prisions in Florida.

Couldn't they supena LA or JB's cell phone records and find out if he/they were using their air cards at that time???

This explains a lot... Like why CA hasn't been to visit... She doesn't need to, she and GA can see KC by lap top every time JB visits. As I remember he asked permission to bring his lap top with him when he visited KC, and that permission was granted. Bet the Florida Bar and the FDC would be very unhappy about this if they get wind of it.

I agree with you on the cell phone issue. Also, 3 way calls are a big issue as well. This is the new contraband!

If he is using a mobile broadband adapter then he is not going through the jails network, secured or not.

The only way he is not getting out then is if the jail is running cell phone jammers, which alot do these days.

Yes and that rtoo.. I thought of that after I finished my post. I am also thinking they probably remove cell phones and broadband cards and hold them until after the visit.

La, Yes, I'm sure unauthorized access is not permitted in that circumstance, but wouldn't put it past any of them, the A's, JB, none of them. So even though it is illegal, could it be done... the answer seems to be yes, and it would explain a lot, a lot about the memorial, and a lot about the lack of visits from C,G & LA.

Ibyounger, Will you come back and explain if JB could get around the secure network if he had a cellular air card? Thanks for explaining about secure networks earlier BTW!

I would say that the prison probably first does not allow the air card and second they would jam the cell phones.

Once JB is in gate he plays by the states law and not by his or Casey's..

JMHO - I don't think there's a question if JB has internet access. LE has stated in the media that attorneys are allowed to view media websites via internet with their clients during visits. I guess one of my questions is does anyone know if they have supervision during visits because I just feel like this is a very real possibility.

S'funny. If JB does have wireless and/or air card and is not encrypted or not encrypted strongly he wants to beware! He may think he is being so clever and the jail is watching his every transmission.

Be careful what you wish for, technology can bite you in the butt and .... does attorney / client privilege extend to wireless network transmissions?

Also, even if JB did NOT have an air card, he could have accessed any unsecured network in range ..and not used the jail's (if they even have wireless).

Due to range issues I doubt there would be an unsecured network that he could reach. This is not like our neighborhood or like we are at the beach.

S'funny. If JB does have wireless and/or air card and is not encrypted or not encrypted strongly he wants to beware! He may think he is being so clever and the jail is watching his every transmission.

Be careful what you wish for, technology can bite you in the butt and .... does attorney / client privilege extend to wireless network transmissions?

ITA!!! :clap::clap::clap:

JB can download media video's, he can save images.... can use Outlook email "if" he has is own Exchange server., those emails would be available offline if saved to a pst file.

The best way for him to get email in and out would probably be a Blackberry if his cell phone is NOT jammed.

The average enduser that gets a laptop and a blackberry may be cool.. but it doesn't mean their transactions are SECURE.

Do I think it is happening? Absolutely! You just have to look at CA reactions to believe it. When she was visiting, she made many complaints about the release of the video visits. When she quit visiting she made more complaints, because she couldn't visit without the visit being taped. Yet those complaints have stopped. IMO they stopped after the judge gave permission for JB's laptop to be taken into the jail.

JB also was very unhappy about the visits being taped and released to the media. He understood how the visits were being perceived by the public and the affect they were having on his case. He has mentioned that in the media many times. So he had to make a choice, to ban the family from visiting at all..... or to arrange some type of communication between his client and her family that circumvented the jail rules. To ban the family without some type of communication between KC and the family could be detrimental to his client and would get him some bad publicity because you know that CA wouldn't have kept quiet about the ban.

Technology in the jail is not a simple issue, ban or not to ban. An increasing number of crimes now days involve the computer/internet. More and more communication is wireless. And it could be crucial for an attorney to access the internet with his client at times. So I feel pretty certain that if there is a way for the jail to block internet, there is most likely a way for the jail to permit the attorneys to access. And when JB got the judges permission, he would get the access. The jail cannot monitor what JB does with his client because that is covered by attorney/client privelege. They can't stay in the room to monitor either. So yes, I feel pretty certain it happened. Whether they can prove it, or whether they can do anything about it I don't know.

La, Yes, I'm sure unauthorized access is not permitted in that circumstance, but wouldn't put it past any of them, the A's, JB, none of them. So even though it is illegal, could it be done... the answer seems to be yes, and it would explain a lot, a lot about the memorial, and a lot about the lack of visits from C,G & LA.

I think it has been shown that Casey definitely had problems and hatred toward her parents. Evidence shows that Cindy's co-workers stated that Cindy says Casey yelled at George worse than she did, jailhouse vids show Casey only wanted to talk to her dad, the one she has been the farthest from for the longest time. AD stated to police instances that Casey hated her mother. She refused visits. War in the media regarding the memorial. Even in Caylee's death, she still was fighting over Caylee.

I personally think she wanted to kill them and get the house and insurance money.

The lack of visits are explained by Casey hating her parents and she probably thinks even in jail she is better off not being around them. I have not seen much that showed she really loved her mom or dad. Why would she really want to talk to them? She doesn't need them anymore for money, housing or anything. They have worn out their usefulness to her. She has permenantly lost their approval. The fact they say they still love and forgive her irks her even more.

I think it has been shown that Casey definitely had problems and hatred toward her parents. Evidence shows that Cindy's co-workers stated that Cindy says Casey yelled at George worse than she did, jailhouse vids show Casey only wanted to talk to her dad, the one she has been the farthest from for the longest time. AD stated to police instances that Casey hated her mother. She refused visits. War in the media regarding the memorial. Even in Caylee's death, she still was fighting over Caylee.

I personally think she wanted to kill them and get the house and insurance money.

The lack of visits are explained by Casey hating her parents and she probably thinks even in jail she is better off not being around them. I have not seen much that showed she really loved her mom or dad. Why would she really want to talk to them? She doesn't need them anymore for money, housing or anything. They have worn out their usefulness to her. She has permenantly lost their approval. The fact they say they still love and forgive her irks her even more.

Good post! I tend to agree.

CA wants to smother KC, per the memorial to feel better in herself -- not for KC. KC doesn't want to face them over the demise of Caylee and have to deal with the questions, any questions. As such, I surmise that while they may have exchanged some basic letters or e-mails, there is no interactive communications.

A big reason KC didn't want to attend the motion hearings was, apart from laziness, not to see her parents or let her parents see her. KC knows they know and no matter how much they profess they still love her and support her, KC knows things are forever changed.

I agree everyone needs secured wireless but I know many who do not even have their own wireless & get in using a neighbors. Me, I have secured. I would not even begin to know how to access someones private info from an unsecure wireless but I promise you my son in law could. I would think the jail would have secure wireless but I would bet the church does not. If the jail is saying & KC herself said she has watched news via his laptop, even watched NG on his lap top than JB is getting internet at the jail.

The jail with even secured wireless internet and giving JB an encryption key would still give them the ability to use a proxy server for the internet. This means the internet goes the jailhouse server first. At this point, the IT folks can block EVERY STINKING WEBSITE.. except for Media websites. This form of control would probably be the controllable and secure for both parties involved. I actually used to manage the an application called "Surf Control." That was a blast seeing the blocks the servers would throw up when a "boss" tried access *advertiser censored*. We blocked all sports, gambling, etc. The application could block anything with specific words.

Watching NG is not a big deal.. there are ways to suck a Youtube video to your hard drive.

Good post! I tend to agree.

CA wants to smother KC, per the memorial to feel better in herself -- not for KC. KC doesn't want to face them over the demise of Caylee and have to deal with the questions, any questions. As such, I surmise that while they may have exchanged some basic letters or e-mails, there is no interactive communications.

A big reason KC didn't want to attend the motion hearings was, apart from laziness, not to see her parents or let her parents see her. KC knows they know and no matter how much they profess they still love her and support her, KC knows things are forever changed.

Futher evidence shows that LP stated that Casey did not speak to her parents much and walked a wide circle around them. The only reason she slept in their room was to get away from Caylee's pictures on the bedroom wall and to not hear the posters out in the yard. I think GA bought a gun right after she came home (which was promptly taken away) because he needed to sleep with one eye open. GA and CA know exactly what she has done. They are just trying to sound nicey nice.. until she is put away for good. Just in case she gets out before they die they do not want to take any chances. ( How long will the check charges keep her in??)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back