Let's try to pick the perfect juror

For the prosecution: the jury would include men/women with children/grandchildren, with a strong belief in family values and morals, including Hispanics, who would also resent the non-existant kidnapping-murdering-nanny as being a Hispanic woman. It would also include educated individuals who are able to grasp the scientific evidence presented.

And then for the defense: men/women in Casey's age group, single, with no moral compass, distrust LE, and no comprehension of scientific evidence .

:D

Perfect juror would be me!! I soooooo want justice served to little miss KC. Only one problem, I don't live in Florida but I'd be willing to move to be on THIS jury!!

No offense, One Hooah......If I were defense, I'd steer clear from other single young mothers. While they might know the struggles involved in parenting a child when barely past childhood themselves, I'm gonna guess not any one of them is accused of killing their toddler.....that could backfire in a bad way.

I think that any single mom who struggled with her priorities and committments to raise her child(ren) will have a very negative reaction to this case and the defendant. While it's true that some may also have had issues with flashes of anger or resentment, the fact that they did not succumb to their impulses and managed to redirect the anger and resentment rather than abuse or kill their child will probably give them a knee jerk reaction to KC for callously murdering her daughter.

I think there may be some young men who will find her attractive enough even now that they would have a hard time voting for a life sentence for her, and I think that Baez probably will try to steer any younger, single men to the jury. I agree that Hispanics are out, after the fiasco with ZG. I really don't think that any minorities will sit well with the defense. KC had waaay too many opportunities laid at her feet that she trampled all over for them to feel much pity. Some young females will relate to the party lifestyle, but any woman of childbearing age is going to have a hard time with this crime.

Older, conservative jurors will be anathema to the defense, and I totally agree that both sides need to pick tech-savvy jurors, or the glazed eyes will go blank when the testimony goes to cyberspace.

I think the defense may score some hits with school teachers, only because teachers see the best and worst of our youth on a daily basis and may possibly sympathize. Any profession where uniforms are worn (cue meter readers) will be harsh on the defense.

Someone recently told me their own grandmother would never be able to convict any mother for murdering their own child. They just couldn't comprehend this type of behavior whatsoever from the child's own mother. With that said, I don't know if an elderly person would make a good juror for the State.

Reading through this thread again, there were a few things that came to mind on several topics.

You have to remember that both sides are allowed a finite number of peremptory challenges during jury selection. I believe that it is 10 for this type of case.

Casey has the right to an impartial jury. Therefore, anyone with a biased and preconceived notion of her guilt will be excused under "Mandatory Disqualification."

Race is never considered a disqualifying factor alone ... the only way to exclude someone solely because of their race is through peremptory challenge. I can't see Baez wasting all of his challenges to exclude all Hispanics ... this is Florida we are talking about! According to the US Census Bureau people of Hispanic origin make up 31% of the states population. In Orange County there is a 24.1% Hispanic population. So, if they go for a change of venue, as many suspect they will, they could end up in an area with an even higher percent population of Hispanics.

There will likely be only 6 jurors selected with 2 alternates. So, I feel that both sides will be very careful and thoroughly voir dire potential jurors - cautiously choosing their peremptory challenges and working hard to uncover any bias. I expect that both sides will employ expert jury consultants during the voir dire process as well as to prepare for the trial after the jury is selected.

I was curious to see if any experts had weighed in on the jury selection for this case ... so I did a quick Google search. I haven't gone through it all yet but one article "popped out."

Local Attorney Looks Ahead To Anthony Trial:
Nejame Believes Anthony Team Will Look For Liberals

If I find anymore articles I will post them.

Are the numbers of jurors different in Florida? I have never heard of a criminal jury with just 6 members.

I wasn't suggesting that minority prospective jurors could be eliminated because of race, I was thinking either side might use their challenges......just asking what others thought.

The "perfect" juror will pay attention during the trial, hear and weigh the evidence, follow the court's instructions and render a verdict according to the law.

As scary as it is, a young, single man COULD want to acquit KC from the beginning because of her looks. That being said 1) I hope she continues to gain weight and lose her looks as the trial approaches and 2) it's likely that if the rest of the jurors find her guilty they will definitely see this young guy's motives and jump all over him for explanations which he most likely will be unable to give besides "well, she's cute so she couldn't have done it."

Are the numbers of jurors different in Florida? I have never heard of a criminal jury with just 6 members.

I wasn't suggesting that minority prospective jurors could be eliminated because of race, I was thinking either side might use their challenges......just asking what others thought.

I wasn't directing my post at you per se. There have been several posts about race ... I was just trying to be helpful and explain some of the legal specifics involved in jury selection.

IMO the defense should probably look for men in the 25-35 age range.

For the prosecution, anyone living and breathing will be fine.

Perfect juror... 12 men and women tried and true, and all drawn from the ranks of WS! KC deserves no less! :)

Perfect juror... 12 men and women tried and true, and all drawn from the ranks of WS! KC deserves no less! :)

6 men or women ... drawn from the ranks of WS would be awesome ... but who will they be? ... what will they think? ... we at WS, represent many the conflicting opinion, and so be it, so shall it be!

I'm thinking what would be the juror who would believe KC was innocent?

* Forget anyone who has ever borne a child.
* I know Jose has tried to play the "they don't like to see a strong Hispanic man trying to challenge the system!" thang, but that's trumped by trying to toss JFG under the bus.

Who is gonna be their perfect juror?

Young people? Thinking that they may emphasize with Casey? I can't see it, but they might.

People with a strong science background or weak background?

People lacking in the common sense department?

My fear is that they'll find some fool who'll say, "Well, there's no DNA! so they haven't proved it," and won't be swayed by, "Um, the babe was out in the weather for six months, including a hurricane. Any DNA would be washed away."

Who will they target?

Blaise

6 men or women ... drawn from the ranks of WS would be awesome ... but who will they be? ... what will they think? ... we at WS, represent many the conflicting opinion, and so be it, so shall it be!

I'm confused- She is charged with a Capital offense! Why would there be only 6 Jurors?

I actually think if the defense tries to select young, single men it could actually backfire on them. They may relate to Jesse and Tony and realize it could have been them drawn into KC's web of lies. I think any young single man would be shaken to the core by the consequences suffered by Jesse and Tony simply because they were attracted to KC. My opinion only, of course!

I was on a jury where (get this!) a judge's wife was arrested for drunk driving. She was quite obviously guilty based on the evidence presented, but alot of money was thrown at hiring defense and having a 10 day trial!! (Over a DUI?? Yup.) She was also attractive. The worst jurors? Two senior citizens - a retired teacher (male) and a retired homemaker (female). They were both adamant that they would not vote guilty (the only two) and the woman juror I refer to absolutely REFUSED to discuss it with the remaining jurors, just stating that NOTHING would make her change her mind. Done, over, out. Hung jury.

Slightly off-topic, but on the same jury we had a young male college student. Twice he was late to court. The second time the judge had the clerk call him at home - his mother had to wake him up! He was dismissed and the alternate took his place. LOL!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back