"Little People, Big World" Dad Busted For DUI

oh man! I love that show and love Matt. The show has been one of the only decent family shows on television. Guess this only proves that good families have problems.

I really like the show, too. How on earth could Matt even take a "field sobriety" test?? He uses crutches to get around. His fingers are bent. He can't touch his nose or walk a straight line. I hope that they give him a break! He seems like a kind father.

Matt knew that his dwarfism/size could have an effect on how many/much drinks would put him over the limit. His dwarfism is no exscuse. He is a very intelligent man, he should have known better. Field sobriety test also covers the abc's and things like that which he could have easily done in his motorized chair.
I agree that dwarfism is no excuse to drink and drive. I also hope that they took his size and disabilities into account when doing the field sobriety test. Maybe he had to do most of the things correct, oncluding ABC's and walking in a line, but was unable to do the physical tests correctly.
Oh my-look at me making excuses for a drunk driver just for the sake of argument.:blushing:

At least he's smiling and not mean and nasty when drinking. I think there could be more to the situation though such as his size, the controls on the vehicle, or pain with the medical problems and unable to walk normally. Maybe stardom even went to his head a little bit and he was out with someone in a meeting and overindulged.

I really like the show, too. How on earth could Matt even take a "field sobriety" test?? He uses crutches to get around. His fingers are bent. He can't touch his nose or walk a straight line. I hope that they give him a break! He seems like a kind father.

Nan,
You are so right. I didn't even think about how short his arms are. I hope he was given a fair test. Please know that I am not saying he wasn't guilty but I'd sure like to know what test he was given.

Well maybe Im the odd man out but I dont feel sorry for him. I hate drunk drivers, My best friend was killed by one many years ago. I hope he doesnt receive special treatment just because he is on a show and hopefully he will learn his lesson from this. I would assume they gave a breath blowing test before booking him. I have menieres and If I had an episode during a walking test I might fail it too. Being small is no excuse, If he is that easily affected he should know enough to not be driving. Horrible example for his kids.

Well maybe Im the odd man out but I dont feel sorry for him. I hate drunk drivers, My best friend was killed by one many years ago. I hope he doesnt receive special treatment just because he is on a show and hopefully he will learn his lesson from this. I would assume they gave a breath blowing test before booking him. I have menieres and If I had an episode during a walking test I might fail it too. Being small is no excuse, If he is that easily affected he should know enough to not be driving. Horrible example for his kids.

I don't feel sorry for him either.

here are some alternatives to the walk the line test...

Alternative Testing Methods Sometimes, an officer will encounter a disabled driver who cannot perform the SFST. In such cases, some other battery of tests such as counting aloud, reciting the alphabet, or finger dexterity tests may be administered. Several appellate court decisions have indicated that, if you administer a test that requires the subject to respond orally in other than a routine information-giving fashion, such as requiring them to indicate the date of their sixth birthday, and if they are in custody at the time, you should administer the Miranda warning first, because you are seeking information from them that is testimonial or communicative in nature. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/deskbk.html#SFST

This makes me really upset with Matt. I love this show and think they are such an awesome example, but then again........we're all human and we all mess up sometimes, not that I in ANY way condone what he did because LORD knows what could have happened! He was fortunate noone was hurt or killed!
I hope he learned from this mistake and that it never happens again and that he realizes that he was lucky nobody was injured.
We came across this show by flipping around one bored Saturday when they were having a marathon and got hooked.

I hope they don't cancel the show because of this and, instead, use it as a learning tool. Have a few shows about it. Discuss it and show how it affects the family, how they cope with it, etc. It's gotta be embarrasing for the kids for sure!

I highly doubt they will cancel the show because of this incident. Heck,if they were going to start cancelling shows because the actors have "incidents",we wouldn't have any programs on tv at all!

alot of people do not take the breathylyzer test because it can help them if it goes to court....there is no proof other then not being able to pass the feild test now to prove he was drinking. most lawyers will tell you the same thing if pulled over and if there is any doubt you maybe over the limit then do not take the test.

alot of people do not take the breathylyzer test because it can help them if it goes to court....there is no proof other then not being able to pass the feild test now to prove he was drinking. most lawyers will tell you the same thing if pulled over and if there is any doubt you maybe over the limit then do not take the test.

Some off duty cops will tell you this too.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us//intranet/News/Archives/991228/folo1.htm

This is Florida's Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle web page, and link to an article stating the reasons people refuse breathalizers. Staggaring. Leaving the scene of a fatal accident is less of a crime than being drunk and causing the fatality to begin with.

What is the incentive to stay? (Besides human compassion, of course.)

Christians have the same problems as anyone else. I know, I am a Christian and boy have I messed up before! We all have some kind of problem to overcome. Being a Christian doesn't make a person less human or less a sinner, but it does mean that we are supposed to let God show us how to accept His forgiveness, learn from our shortcomings and go on to help someone else.

Don't worry, I'm not taking offense, just say'in!

Susan

Shoot...I'm Catholic... It's a sin not to drink. :D

Here in Oregon your license is in jeopardy if you refuse a breathalizer. I believe it's an automatic suspension of 6 months to one year. FYI, the local report I hard was that Matt also received a DUI in 2003. They erased it from his record because he attended alcohol and safety classes. Doesn't sound like this is an isolated incident and he did refuse to obey the law by refusing the breathalizer. Maybe stardom has gone to his head??!

Here in Oregon your license is in jeopardy if you refuse a breathalizer. I believe it's an automatic suspension of 6 months to one year. FYI, the local report I hard was that Matt also received a DUI in 2003. They erased it from his record because he attended alcohol and safety classes. Doesn't sound like this is an isolated incident and he did refuse to obey the law by refusing the breathalizer. Maybe stardom has gone to his head??!

If he had one before, and has another one now - maybe it's not stardom that has gone to his head so much as feeling out of place by dwarfism. Yes, he's on tv - but that's not much different than "step right up folks, come see the freak" to him, on days he feels depressed.

If he had one before, and has another one now - maybe it's not stardom that has gone to his head so much as feeling out of place by dwarfism. Yes, he's on tv - but that's not much different than "step right up folks, come see the freak" to him, on days he feels depressed.

One of the things I like best about the show big world little people is that it shows week after week how alike we really all are. No body is immune from the pitfalls of life and this is an opportunity for the show to highlight another issue that faces so many families today and that is alcohol abuse and drunk driving. I am confident that the Roloff family will handle this obsticle and come out stronger for it. I just hope they continue to alow us the prvlidge of learning from their remarkable family and true passion for the gift of life.

mjak

That would be a convenient excuse. I don't think Matt thinks of it as a big deal because he's dealt with it all his life. In fact, I think Matt likes the attention from his actions on the show. He has reaped the monetary advantages of the show and probably feels like it's the best advertising he could get for his farm without having to pay anything out of his pocket. Even if he gets depressed, that's no excuse for drinking and then driving under the influence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back