"Little People, Big World" Dad Busted For DUI

One of the things I like best about the show big world little people is that it shows week after week how alike we really all are. No body is immune from the pitfalls of life and this is an opportunity for the show to highlight another issue that faces so many families today and that is alcohol abuse and drunk driving. I am confident that the Roloff family will handle this obsticle and come out stronger for it. I just hope they continue to alow us the prvlidge of learning from their remarkable family and true passion for the gift of life.

mjak

Great post, I agree.

Our local paper publishes DUI arrests in the Police Report section. Night after night there is a lot of them, and the offenders are from all different walks of life. It seems to me the problem with DUI is worse not better in our towns. What's the answer? :waitasec:

One of the things I like best about the show big world little people is that it shows week after week how alike we really all are. No body is immune from the pitfalls of life and this is an opportunity for the show to highlight another issue that faces so many families today and that is alcohol abuse and drunk driving. I am confident that the Roloff family will handle this obsticle and come out stronger for it. I just hope they continue to alow us the prvlidge of learning from their remarkable family and true passion for the gift of life.

mjak

Excellent post, mjak!

Susan

mjak

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great post!

That would be a convenient excuse. I don't think Matt thinks of it as a big deal because he's dealt with it all his life. In fact, I think Matt likes the attention from his actions on the show. He has reaped the monetary advantages of the show and probably feels like it's the best advertising he could get for his farm without having to pay anything out of his pocket. Even if he gets depressed, that's no excuse for drinking and then driving under the influence.

I've never seen the show (I don't watch television - not any kind of knock on it - I just get too sucked in to the tube, so I don't turn it on!) Anyway, there IS no excuse for driving drunk. I was trying to say it was a problem BEFORE stardom, that's all. May be a huge number of things - or nothing at all - but I don't think it was being on tv.

alot of people do not take the breathylyzer test because it can help them if it goes to court....there is no proof other then not being able to pass the feild test now to prove he was drinking. most lawyers will tell you the same thing if pulled over and if there is any doubt you maybe over the limit then do not take the test.
That is exactly why - anyone who had ever had any dealings with the "law" in this arena will tell you NEVER take any tests or SAY anything unless you are stone cold sober.

Matt Roloff is just like US - he is on TV but he isn't perfect. Just because he is small does not mean he thinks any different than anyone else either. He never said he was a role model - he is just a man (husband, son, father) with dwarfism - and his wife is a woman (wife, mother, daughter) with dwarfism - and they are raising 4 kids - only one who also has dwarfism. Their family deals with the very same issues we do PLUS a few we don't. They are profiting from the show and putting a real human, family face on a part of society most of us do not understand....that's the value of the show. I think it could be a very good issue to deal with on the show - and knowing Amy, the family WILL deal with it together. She is the strength and glue of that family and with her help, Matt will face his problems and try to make the best of it. It could have been any of us that drink, even a little, and drive - we just don't have TV cameras following us around 24/7. One of their kids and a friend got hurt pretty bad right on camera with that Pumpkin Pitch catapult contraption and they showed that - they show the good and the stupid and the bad it seems. Life happens, even when you are on TV.

I think it shows just how "normal" the Roloff family is and that they are just living their lives...on TV. I don't think it had anything to do with any "issues" - Matt had some drinks and drove - that simple. The whole family seems pretty well adjusted, actually, I couldn't live in the spotlight they do but they seem to handle it well. And it's one of the few "reality shows" I can stomach watching.

I LOVE their farm too, I want a place like THAT!

My Opinion, Really

Im glad others agree with me. Being small and on television does not give him an excuse for drinking and driving. If he wants to drink fine, just call a cab. I have never drank and drove and Im sure there are many others who haven't. Why? I had lots of examples in my family of what not to do all of them seemed to go back their old vices when things got tough and not one of them is doing well in life. I know there are people who succeed but I think there are more who don't. There is no reason why he couldnt have called a cab or someone to pick him up. People have far worse illnesses and problems then him and they dont act as irresponsible as this, he is lucky he didnt kill someone.

In regards to television he made the choice to be on it, if your pressured from it cancel the show or find an alternative for relieving yourself that doesnt put innocent families at risk due to your behavior. By not taking the breathalyzer all he is showing his family is how to take the crappy way out and not admit that you made a mistake, again horrible example for those growing boys and I bet its real embarassing to them now for the whole world to know what their dad did. Personally I only watched the show once, it was boring to me but I dont like reality shows.

I like the show too. I almost feel like I really do know these people! I am against drinking and driving, and I do hope that if Matt has a problem, he will get help.

Little People, Big World - Forum - Talk about the show and post questions to the Roloff family - http://community.discovery.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/2131921028 -- Matt made the following statement in the forum re his DUI: "I have entered a plea of innocent. I respect the judicial process and in fairness to the court I will not comment further on this case until it is resolved. "

Main site for Little People, Big World: http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/lpbw/lpbw.html

Just for the record, I don't feel sorry for him either. I was just curious about what type of tests they gave him. Now that I know he refused a breathalyzer-well, that says it all IMO. I don't think he's setting a good example for his kids, and that makes me sad.

This is just a joke...but maybe Matt drank to relieve some stress...does anyone else (other than me) think sometimes Amy is a bit hard on him?
But I want to make clear I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR MATT!!!!! He is obviously intelligent and should have known better...

Damn right he should! According to TMZ, this is his second drunk driving offense.

Damn right he should! According to TMZ, this is his second drunk driving offense.

Well, obviously the man has a problem if it's his second conviction.......

I hate to even ask this but maybe Matt thought his dwarfism would get him off? I can't believe this is his 2nd offense...
I would think that Amy would read him the riot act so fierce once he'd never repeat it again...
I don't have sympathy for Matt for driving drunk but I do have sympathy for him if he has an alcohol problem....if you have issues in life that any substance, i.e. alcohol or drugs can diminish (I have exp. with that!) you don't care much about anything else, except getting rid of the pain by any means necessary.
In that case, Amy coming down on him or etc...cannot make him stop drinking, only counseling help, AA, NA, etc...can help.

Well, obviously the man has a problem if it's his second conviction.......

He has not been CONVICTED twice - only once. This arrest just happened and he has entered a plea of innocent. Lets not rush to judgment about his guilt - all we know is that he was arrested and charged with a DUI.

Im glad others agree with me. Being small and on television does not give him an excuse for drinking and driving. If he wants to drink fine, just call a cab. I have never drank and drove and Im sure there are many others who haven't. Why? I had lots of examples in my family of what not to do all of them seemed to go back their old vices when things got tough and not one of them is doing well in life. I know there are people who succeed but I think there are more who don't. There is no reason why he couldnt have called a cab or someone to pick him up. People have far worse illnesses and problems then him and they dont act as irresponsible as this, he is lucky he didnt kill someone.

In regards to television he made the choice to be on it, if your pressured from it cancel the show or find an alternative for relieving yourself that doesnt put innocent families at risk due to your behavior. By not taking the breathalyzer all he is showing his family is how to take the crappy way out and not admit that you made a mistake, again horrible example for those growing boys and I bet its real embarassing to them now for the whole world to know what their dad did. Personally I only watched the show once, it was boring to me but I dont like reality shows.
I must disagree...

By not taking a breathalyzer he followed the legal advice he was given. It has nothing to do with his parenting skills or his morals. We do not know he is guilty of ANYTHING so he has nothing to be embarrassed about.

What he is teaching his children is what wise parents teach their children - if you are investigated, accused or arrested by any branch of LE (Local, State Federal) - to ALWAYS say nothing and do nothing until your lawyer arrives. it is hardly the "crappy way out" more like the SMART response... especially if you do not feel you are guilty. We all want to be good, law abiding citizens but we also have rights and smart people take advantage of those rights by cooperating only on the advice of a lawyer.

I would not have done anything different and I do (and have) advised everyone in my family (and friends too) to do exactly what Matt Roloff did ON THE ADVICE OF A LAWYER. So called "Moral Outrage" has no place in legal proceedings before the guilt of the accused has been determined.

My Opinion

I must disagree...

By not taking a breathalyzer he followed the legal advice he was given. It has nothing to do with his parenting skills or his morals. We do not know he is guilty of ANYTHING so he has nothing to be embarrassed about.

What he is teaching his children is what wise parents teach their children - if you are investigated, accused or arrested by any branch of LE (Local, State Federal) - to ALWAYS say nothing and do nothing until your lawyer arrives. it is hardly the "crappy way out" more like the SMART response... especially if you do not feel you are guilty. We all want to be good, law abiding citizens but we also have rights and smart people take advantage of those rights by cooperating only on the advice of a lawyer.

I would not have done anything different and I do (and have) advised everyone in my family (and friends too) to do exactly what Matt Roloff did ON THE ADVICE OF A LAWYER. So called "Moral Outrage" has no place in legal proceedings before the guilt of the accused has been determined.

My Opinion

Why would you avoid a breathalyzer unless you werent drunk? It seems like a no brainer to me.

Why would you avoid a breathalyzer unless you werent drunk? It seems like a no brainer to me.
Because it is easier to mount a defense without the test on the record. It's much better to have only a suspended license for refusing the test than to have a DUI conviction. I will say it again - if you HAVE been drinking the BEST thing to do is refuse the breathalyzer test and go to court with a good lawyer - who MAY be able to get you off without a BAC on file. And remember - it isn't like they could do a complete field sobriety test on Matt Roloff either - he does not have normal legs and doesn't "walk" unaided. In addition, we do not know how or why BAC by breathalyzer MIGHT be different for someone of Matt's size and physical condition either. We have to consider it MIGHT be different or inaccurate - Breathalyzers are seldom done on people who are 3-1/2 feet tall.

The info I read said he got a DUI in 2003 which was cleared from his record when he took driving courses and did alcohol counseling/classes. It's not like it was last week or it's every 6 months. He has only been convicted ONCE - 4 years ago.

I guess everyone here is just positive that they have never driven "over the limit" ever. It's plain luck not to get a DUI if you have ever been even a HAIR over the limit - and without a testing device, do you really know WHAT your BAC is when you drive after a couple of drinks?

And BTW - I do not drink except for ceremonial toasts, I don't like the way alcohol makes me feel so I have NEVER driven after drinking in my life. My Ex Hubby was an alcoholic tho and often drove drunk - and still has never gotten a DUI to this day. You haven't LIVED unless you have had to physically fight a drunken man who was 15 inches taller and 125 lbs heavier than you for the car keys. I just want to be clear that I despise drunk drivers (and often report people driving drunk to 911) - be it Lindsey Lohan or "Linda Littleperson". BUT... the justice system is what it is and everyone who gets nailed for a DUI gets their day in court - which they are FULLY entitled to. Not every LE Officer is honest, fair or even fully on the "right" side of the law..they have badges and guns, not halos. Charging someone does not make them guilty - maybe the COP doesn't like Little People...or Matt Roloff being on TV and being famous. We don't know.

My Opinion, Really

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back