Live cams across Washington DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if I could post a pic of my least favorite sign from yesterday? It has a swear though, is that against TOS?

It's way more than that.

Gaslighting people who are protesting and speaking out against oppression, bigotry, and hate will only fuel the fire that's been started, and that's the opposition I've experienced and witnessed. "Get over it", "it's not that big of a deal", "you're overreacting" are all gaslighting techniques. Well, the women who are rebelling are done being gaslit by abusers and oppressors.

Time for the "opposition" to pay attention :)

Bullying someone won't make them agree with your point of view. We have differing views that's clear.

I went to the March in Austin today. I almost didn't because I didn't have anyone to go with and I'm not the type to go to things alone but my 30-year-old son texted me "Mama, you need to go. It's important." How could I not?

I was struck by the diversity of the crowd especially the number of men, elderly couples, and whole families. I was especially touched by the young man with his newborn daughter holding a sign stating he marched for his daughter's future.

They were charged with felony rioting.
Federal prosecutors say most of the approximately 230 protesters arrested on Inauguration Day will be charged with felony rioting.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says the offense is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000....http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34312779/the-latest-some-trump-protesters-to-face-rioting-charges

popsicle. :happydance: Thank you for the links. Very helpful.

{ETA: Wanted to clarify that the post addresses the violent actions yesterday in Wash, DC by a small number, not the thousands & thousands of peaceful marchers & protestors, with or without signs}

(^sbm) Are convictions likely? Stiff sentences? IDK.
The statute* defines riot as an assemblage of 5 or +, detailed below.
Prosecutor has to establish there was such an ^ assemblage engaging in tumultuous & violent conduct or creating threat of grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.
Will arrestees/defendants claim, despite dozens, scores, or hundreds of people, it was not an 'assemblage' just many ppl forced into one block because of inauguration street closures. Or claim if the group constituted an assembly and if group rioted, he/they was/were not part of it. He/they was/were on the way to work, grocery shop, take grandma to Bible study, volunteer at soup kitchen, etc.
And
The statute requires prosecutor to establish defendant was"willfully engaging in riot" or "willfully inciting others" to do so. Establishing "willful" state of mind beyond a reasonable doubt is a huuuuge challenge, even w vid/audio recordings showing defendants' actions. How to show what was in their head(s)? IDK, maybe some arrestees gleefully posted about their deliberate destruction & attacks on soc med. Maybe some blabbed about their wonderful time punching, beating, etc. while livestreaming & on FB. IDK.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of these arrests. On the bright side, aside from burning limo & other prop dmg, I have not read (much) about serious personal injuries. No deaths.
All JM2cts.

(a) A riot ... is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of 5 or more persons which by tumultuous and violent conduct or the threat thereof creates grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.

(b) Whoever willfully engages in a riot in the District of Columbia shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(c) Whoever willfully incitesor urges other persons to engage in a riot ... imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than ...or both.

(d) If in the course and as a result of a riot a person suffers serious bodily harm or there is property damage in excess of $5,000, every person who willfully incited or urged others to engage in the riot ... imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than... or both."

Glad you enjoyed your march. Were there any signs that critized Trump supporters & belittled them?

You do know that's not what the marches today were about, right?

Bullying someone won't make them agree with your point of view. We have differing views that's clear.

Protesting is bullying?

Demanding to be treated like a human instead of a piece of meat, and taking to the streets to stand as one united front on that matter is not "bullying". What IS bullying is saying you can do whatever you want to a woman because she will "let" you because you're a rich celebrity. Bullying is taking to a social media platform to denigrate someone or something that hurt your feelings, to the point that people are afraid to speak out against you for fear of the backlash. Bullying is calling people who are upset "cry-baby losers".

Protesting is not bullying. Protesting is using your protect First Amendment RIGHT as an American citizen to voice your very real concerns.

Protesting is bullying?

Demanding to be treated like a human instead of a piece of meat, and taking to the streets to stand as one united front on that matter is not "bullying". What IS bullying is saying you can do whatever you want to a woman because she will "let" you because you're a rich celebrity. Bullying is taking to a social media platform to denigrate someone or something that hurt your feelings, to the point that people are afraid to speak out against you for fear of the backlash. Bullying is calling people who are upset "cry-baby losers".

Protesting is not bullying. Protesting is using your protect First Amendment RIGHT as an American citizen to voice your very real concerns.

Who said protesting is bullying? I didn't.

Sometimes you have to take the high road. Reminder to self.

You do know that's not what the marches today were about, right?

Here's what the organizer in our city had to say about the marches:

"Johnson stressed, though, that the event wasn't about Trump, and wasn't held in support of a specific set of policy goals."

"Our goal today was really to take a stand in support of human rights—not take a stand against someone. It's more than one man, one policy, one party. It goes beyond that," she said. "Most of us, I believe, at this meeting, are tired of not listening to one another, of shouting insults."

I am not a "disgrace to women" because I don't support the women's march. I do not feel I am a "second class citizen" because I am a woman. I do not feel my voice is "not heard" because I am a woman. I do not feel I am not provided opportunities in this life or in America because I am a woman. I do not feel that I "don't have control of my body or choices" because I am a woman. I do not feel like I am " not respected or undermined" because I am a woman. I am not a "victim" because you say I am.
I AM a woman.
I can make my own choices.
I can speak and be heard.
I can VOTE.
I can work if I want.
I control my body.
I can defend myself.
I can defend my family.
There is nothing stopping me to do anything in this world but MYSELF.
I do not blame my circumstances or problems on anything other than my own choices or even that sometimes in life, we don't always get what we want. I take responsibility for myself.
I am a mother, a daughter, a wife, a sister, a friend. I am not held back in life but only by the walls I choose to not go over which is a personal choice.
Quit blaming.
Take responsibility.
If you want to speak, do so. But do not expect for me, a woman, to take you seriously wearing a pink va-jay-jay hat on your head and screaming profanities and bashing men.
If you have beliefs, and speak to me in a kind matter, I will listen. But do not expect for me to change my beliefs to suit yours. Respect goes both ways.
If you want to impress me, especially in regards to women, then speak on the real injustices and tragedies that affect women in foreign countries that do not that the opportunity or means to have their voices heard.
Saudi Arabia, women can't drive, no rights and must always be covered.
China and India, infantcide of baby girls.
Afghanistan, unequal education rights.
Democratic Republic of Congo, where rapes are brutal and women are left to die, or HIV infected and left to care for children alone.
Mali, where women can not escape the torture of genital mutilation.
Pakistan, in tribal areas where women are gang raped to pay for men's crime.
Guatemala, the impoverished female underclass of Guatemala faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages. Or the 7 year old girls being sold or married off to 60 year old men, Or the millions of women sold and bought into sex trafficking.
And that's just a few examples.
So when women get together in AMERICA and whine they don't have equal rights and march in their clean clothes, after eating a hearty breakfast, and it's like a vacation away that they have paid for to get there...
This WOMAN does not support it.

I am not a "disgrace to women" because I don't support the women's march. I do not feel I am a "second class citizen" because I am a woman. I do not feel my voice is "not heard" because I am a woman. I do not feel I am not provided opportunities in this life or in America because I am a woman. I do not feel that I "don't have control of my body or choices" because I am a woman. I do not feel like I am " not respected or undermined" because I am a woman. I am not a "victim" because you say I am.
I AM a woman.
I can VOTE.
I can work if I want.
I control my body.
I can defend myself.
I can defend my family.
I do not blame my circumstances or problems on anything other than my own choices or even that sometimes in life, we don't always get what we want. I take responsibility for myself.
I am a mother, a daughter, a wife, a sister, a friend. I am not held back in life but only by the walls I choose to not go over which is a personal choice.
Quit blaming.
Take responsibility.
If you want to speak, do so. But do not expect for me, a woman, to take you seriously wearing a pink va-jay-jay hat on your head and screaming profanities and bashing men.
If you have beliefs, and speak to me in a kind matter, I will listen. But do not expect for me to change my beliefs to suit yours. Respect goes both ways.
If you want to impress me, especially in regards to women, then speak on the real injustices and tragedies that affect women in foreign countries that do not that the opportunity or means to have their voices heard.
Democratic Republic of Congo, where rapes are brutal and women are left to die, or HIV infected and left to care for children alone.
Guatemala, the impoverished female underclass of Guatemala faces domestic violence, rape and the second-highest rate of HIV/AIDS after sub-Saharan Africa. An epidemic of gruesome unsolved murders has left hundreds of women dead, some of their bodies left with hate messages. Or the 7 year old girls being sold or married off to 60 year old men, Or the millions of women sold and bought into sex trafficking.
So when women get together in AMERICA and whine they don't have equal rights and march in their clean clothes, after eating a hearty breakfast, and it's like a vacation away that they have paid for to get there...

:goodpost:

:tyou:

Doesn't Madonna live in England--I thought I've heard her British accent but I could be wrong? Is she now a spokesperson? Just curious....

Doesn't Madonna live in England--I thought I've heard her British accent but I could be wrong? Is she now a spokesperson? Just curious....

She has a townhouse in the upper east side ny. I remember reading how she took it upon herself to paint no parking on the curb so no one would park in front of her place. Not sure what country she claims as hers of if she has duel residence.

Sometimes you have to take the high road. Reminder to self.

I guess asking for clarification is somehow the low road. I apologize if my posts got under your skin, I was genuinely curious who it was you feel was bullying people.

I AM a woman.
I can VOTE.
I can work if I want.
I control my body.
I can defend myself.
I can defend my family.
Quit blaming.
Take responsibility.

The beauty of the feminist movement was providing women the freedom to choose what they want or don't want to do. No one expected every single woman to march, and the bolded isn't at all what it was about. There were thousands of men marching as well :) I'm sorry you missed the message of the protests and I'm glad you're focusing on the rights of women overseas. What organizations are you actively participating in to help them? I'm interested in helping as well. This march was for us here in the states, and as humans, we're capable of caring about and working for more than one issue.

2.9 million women weren't whining, though. Sorry you feel that way about it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member