LKL/Ramseys: Caller Salt Lake City

What a positive, upbeat couple. Considering the hell they've been through over the past 12 years (Beth, cancer, JonBenét, more cancer, false accusations, more cancer, parental deaths, more cancer), their positive attitude is remarkable, uplifting, and worthy of respect and admiration. Many would slink off into the sunset with a bottle of anti-depressants, a blankie, and their thumb.

ALLLRIIIGGGHHHTTT Tricia!!! Way to go!

I thought Patsy looked very good, better than the last few years.

What I want to know, since I bought the paperback book that claims proceeds will go to the JonBenet Ramsey Foundation, did the money go to the Foundation, or the Ramsey's pockets or a lawyer's pockets?

It was on the best seller's list, so I doubt I'm the only person in the world who bought the paperback edition.

can Someone Post The Transcripts????? Tricia, Can You Share With Us The Transcripts Posted By Justin?

MIBRO said:
What a positive, upbeat couple. Considering the hell they've been through over the past 12 years (Beth, cancer, JonBenét, more cancer, false accusations, more cancer, parental deaths, more cancer), their positive attitude is remarkable, uplifting, and worthy of respect and admiration. Many would slink off into the sunset with a bottle of anti-depressants, a blankie, and their thumb.

I think I'll rephrase all this:

What a couple. Considering the hell they have put THEMSELVES through along with others who are innocent but still under scrutiny, their positive attitude is nothing more than a cause for resentment for those who would like to see this couple take more of an interest in the murder of their daughter. What is remarkable is that they think they are above it all and that their faux Christianity will be cause for respect and admiration.

Yes, many would slink off into the sunset, but #1- not their style to be out of the limelight and #2 - They have purchased their way into not having to worry about being in the limelight. AND....who knows about the anti depressants, alcohol, etc. They may still partake in secret like the other things they have done.

KING: We welcome to LARRY KING LIVE, good to see them again, Antrim City, Michigan, John and Patsy Ramsey, the parents of JonBonet Ramsey who was found strangled in the basement of their home in Boulder, Colorado,

Seems hard to believe, December 26, 1996. The Ramsey's are joining us tonight from Stone Waters Inn in Bell Aire, Michigan, where John has kicked of his campaign for a Michigan House seat.

Why, John, why politics?

JOHN RAMSEY, PARENTS OF LATE JONBENET RAMSEY: When we lost JonBonet, our life changed. Certainly that changed a lot of what was important to us. We realized a lot of things we thought important weren't important. But any parent who's lost a child knows what I'm talking about. More, in addition to that, through the next four or five years, hundreds and hundreds of people reached out to us with compassion, caring, sympathy. People took time out of their lives to reach out to us. And what we realized, were these people fellow strugglers, they were dealing with difficult issues in life. It opened our eyes to a different world than we had really been sensitive to. I think those two events really gave me a compassion to try to help my fellow man. All of a sudden I realized selling computers wasn't that important. And -- as we tried to work through that issue, how do we do that?

This door opened, let's go through it and see if that's what we're supposed to be doing. As we look at it, it's a way we can serve our fellow citizens, make a difference here in northern Michigan and so far so good.

KING: Why Michigan, is that where you grew up?

J. RAMSEY: Well, I did. Most people think of me, don't know me otherwise as the guy from Colorado, but we actually only lived there four years. I moved to Michigan when I was 12, went to junior high school, high school, college here, went off to the navy, came back for a master's degree and than left to find my fortune. And that's frankly a problem we have in Michigan, we export a lot of our youth. That's one of our objectives is to see if we can help with the issues of jobs and job retention. That's not a unique problem toward Michigan but the rest of the country as well.

KING: Patsy, John mentioned the loss of a child, one can only mention how tragic that is. But you had a double thing going, not only did you lose a child, but you're accused by many as being the cause of the child's death.

Is this going to help coming through that?

PATSY RAMSEY, MOTHER OF JONBENET RAMSEY: I think we've already coming through that. Naturally, we're still hopeful and have every hope that the killer will be caught. But we have to get on with our lives. Like John said yesterday, we will not let evil prevail. This family has a lot to live for. We have a lot to contribute. We have coming through some difficult times. And the people of northern Michigan have stood the test of time with us. They have been walking side by side with us for years. And we just love Charlevoix, and the whole northern Michigan area so much, so John is really committed to these people, to return some of the good that they've sent into our lives over the past seven years.

KING: In that matter what do you make of the story today, Patsy, the tabloids may be changing. They used to attack you all the time. Now, there's a big story in one, the killer was actually -- they found the killer and he committed suicide.

How do you react to that?

P. RAMSEY: I tell you, I really don't read the tabloids. I really, don't put a whole lot of faith in that. I really think they just sometimes write things to sell newspapers. But we have more important things to deal with than reading the tabloids everyday.

KING: You're not hopeful in that regard maybe the killer was found and maybe he has passed away, maybe this is a conclusion.

P. RAMSEY: You can say maybe, maybe, maybe this, maybe that. We know the DNA evidence is very strong. We have been told they've the killer's DNA and that the killer can be found and will be found. So, there's no reason to speculate until the time that the people in authority and the district attorney's office say that they have apprehended the murderer.

KING: Do you keep in touch with them John, on a regular basis?

J. RAMSEY: They update us periodically, which we're very grateful for. And we certainly tell them anything they need from us, we will comply with instantly. But not on a daily basis. You know, once very month or so.

KING: Patsy, how you doing?

Reports you had a serious illness. You have cancer. Get us up to date.

P. RAMSEY: I had a doctor's appointment today. A really great report. No change of the last CT scan. I do have a recurrence ovarian cancer. My CA-125, for those of you who know about the silent symptoms of ovarian cancer, the CA-125 was an 8, which is very, very good. And I feel so good I've been working everyday in my new business. I started a new business in Charlevoix, webbookusa.com. And I'm in there everyday working. It's a Web site directory online and in print that brings local focus to small to medium companies much like the ones that are here in northwest Michigan, specifically like the Stone Water Inn we're here in Belliare tonight. We discovered on webbookusa.com. So...

KING: Isn't ovarian cancer most of the times a killer?

P. RAMSEY: Well, cancer is not a death sentence any longer. Fortunately we have wonderful medications. Chemotherapy is a tough road to hoe, I have to tell you that. But it is -- I'm grateful we have it. I respond very well to chemotherapy. I have a genetic form of ovarian cancer and do respond very well. So, that and the power of prayer. I believe God is still in the healing business, and he has a lot left for me to do on this earth. I will leave it in his hands. KING: What's -- what's the prognosis as of today?

P. RAMSEY: Larry, I say to everybody that asks me what is my prognosis, I say, it's the same as yours. Everybody's going to live until they die. Nobody knows that until God decides when that is.

KING: We're all terminal.

P. RAMSEY: You're absolutely right.

KING: We're going to take a break. I'm going to ask John Ramsey about running in a race, how he thinks the race might play out, what people might say about him or opposed to that. We'll also see a sample of his commercial. We'll also include some of your phone calls with the Ramsey's.

Don't go away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

J. RAMSEY: I've very excited to tell you, we have filed the paperwork today and we're off and running for the opportunity to serve the citizens in northern Michigan as your next representative in state legislature.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: By the way, just to get things up to date, the status of the murder investigation, a federal judge and new Boulder D.A. have said that the weight of the evidence now is more consistent with the intruder theory than any other theory.

John is running for public office. He's running for the statehouse in the state of Michigan. Here's a sample of that campaign. Let's look at a TV commercial. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

J. RAMSEY: My name is John Ramsey. I'm running for state representative from Northern Michigan. My family has been in Michigan for nearly 50 years. But sadly, most of you know my name only from the tragic death of my daughter JonBenet. Were it not for our faith, the grief of that event and the veil of suspicion cast upon us would have destroyed our family.

The federal judge, the district attorney and new DNA evidence have confirmed that these accusations were groundless. But we were left to pick up the pieces.

This episode gave me a great sensitivity to the plight of so many other families, here in our community and across the country. People victimized by crime, people who lost their jobs, had their dignity stripped away, young already people disillusioned by government.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: And of course, the supportramsey.com is that bullet point at the bottom of the commercial.

John, how do you think that will play? The death of your daughter, how's it going to play in this race?

J. RAMSEY: You know, we think that -- we hope that most people understand the facts of this case now, a lot of significant changes took place about a year or so ago. Certainly, there was an avalanche of accusation for a number of years.

What we found, we found this really for the last eight years, people treat us wonderfully, with compassion, with sympathy. People asked us long ago, what's it like to be out in public. It's wonderful to be in public, people are so kind.

So, we have never, with rare exception, felt anything but compassion from our fellow man. How that plays out in an election, I don't know. My task, I think, is to let people know what I would like to do, and how I think I can help. If they choose that for me, they can do that, great. So -- go ahead.

KING: Couldn't one have easily said, John, why not just go away? You go into the night, start a new life, your wife is ill, fighting through that, live a life out, why go back into the public eye.

J. RAMSEY: Well Larry, we have to keep swinging until they haul us away in box. That's one of my fundamental philosophies in life. We're not going to give up. We're not going to make the highlight of our day going to the post office. I think we've got more to contribute than that.

And I think the real question for us is how do we contribute and how do we make as significant contribution as we can make.

You know, I've really changed in from being focused on really personal success to how do I make a difference in the community that I live? It's not matter of what used to be important to me. I'm not interested in building a company again, or rebuilding assets or getting a bigger home. Life's gotten a lot more sober for me, but a lot more real. That's a gift that my daughter's gave me.

KING: Let's take a call for the Ramseys. Salt Lake City, Utah hello.

CALLER (Trish The Dish!): Hi, Larry. Thanks for having me on.

KING: Sure.

CALLER: Mr. Ramsey, you talk about giving back to the community, in your book "Death Of Innocence," you talk extensively about the JonBenet Ramsey Foundation. That foundation was closed, virtually did nothing. Yet in the book, it still says the proceeds from the book sales are going to the JonBenet Ramsey foundation. I wonder if you can explain that. And also, could you please tell everybody that in the civil case, the judge was only presented what Lynn Wood, your civil attorney showed him -- showed her -- and without benefit of the actual police files. I will hang up and listen. Thank you so much.

J. RAMSEY: I'm sorry. I didn't hear the second part of that question. But regarding the foundation we set up for JonBenet in her honor, we did the same for our daughter, Beth, when she died in 1992. It's a compassion that just, I think, flowed out of us. We weren't sure what we were going to do with it, but we wanted to do something to honor her name.

With Beth, our plan was to get the family together once a year and make a decision of what we could do with what we had available to give and make that a family decision. Certainly we set that up with JonBenet. That was our plan as well.

We have done some of that, not to the extent that we hoped. Frankly, we had hoped we could recover substantial damages from a lot of the very slanderous and wrong stories put out there about us. We did recover some things, but most of those were on behalf of our son, Burke. And so we've not yet, I think, done justice to what we had intended in our hearts for that to be.

P. RAMSEY: This week, however, we did present $1,000 worth of scholarships to Mount McSauba Day Camp here in Charlevoix, Michigan, where JonBenet and Burke both attended day camp. JonBenet was the camper of the year one summer. And we were very happy that the foundation was able to provide some scholarship money for campers this year.

KING: How is Burke doing?

J. RAMSEY: Burke's doing great. He's a junior in high school here in our hometown in Charlevoix. He just got his driver's license a couple of weeks ago and has hit the road.

KING: Venice, California. Hello.

CALLER: Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey, I just was wondering, do you worry that the voters might think you're exploiting the infamy you got from your daughter's death by running for office?

J. RAMSEY: Listen, we're not doing this for money, we're not doing it to be on television. We've had enough of that. Yes, we've been given a platform of sorts. People would not known us otherwise, had we not lost JonBenet.

The real challenge for us, how do we make that horrible evil work for good? What should we do with this unusual platform we didn't ask for it? We would rather not had it. We certainly would give anything to have our life back before this all happened in 1996.

But given that, how do we make something good come out of this? I think JonBenet would be proud of us. I know she's proud of us. I know she's watching us right now. And we're trying to make good come out of that horrible tragedy. And we'll do the best we can until we can't do it anymore.

KING: Patsy, you have the faith to know that -- therefore you believe you'll be reunited with your daughters?

P. RAMSEY: Oh, absolutely. We have a promise through Jesus Christ there will be life eternal. He said this life will not be easy. There will be tribulation and people will revile you and slander you, but he has overcome and that we live for that.

We have hope, like those who have no hope, that is the real tragedy. I know JonBenet believed in Jesus, and she is there with him and with other family members who have gone on before. And I know that we will join her one of these days, and that gives us hope.

But until that time, we've got a beautiful life to live, and a lot to live for and a lot to do on her behalf. She would have been a great contributor to this country. We don't want to let her down.

KING: Darien, Connecticut, hello.

CALLER: John Ramsey, Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey. John, I like what you said about contribute to society, very motivational, uplifting. Patsy, will you then go around speaking about ovarian cancer, as a platform, which would be fabulous?

P. RAMSEY: Well, I have, thank you. I have actually, through the National Speaker's Bureau, been give an lot of opportunities to speak with the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition and talked, quite a great deal, about the silent symptoms of ovarian cancer.

It's a very elusive type of cancer, very deadly. It's deadly only because it's difficult to diagnose in the early stages. In my case, I was stage 4 when it was diagnosed in 1993.

KING: We'll take a break and be back with more moments with John and Patsy Ramsey. We'll ask John, by the way, why he chose the state legislature as his first shot at office, why not city council. We'll be right back.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: John Ramsey, why the state legislature? Why not local office?

J. RAMSEY: Well, first of all, I believe in watching for doors that are open and walk through them and see if that's where I'm supposed to be going. Certainly, there was a door open here. We knew of the seat that was open. A friend of ours was going to run for it and chose not to and encouraged me to do so. More importantly, I think that the part I've gotten passionate about is really based on my background, which was business. That's an issue here in northern Michigan. How do we get more jobs into the area? How do we prevent jobs from leaving the area? Those kinds of things, I believe, are best impacted at the state level. We are a society of states. I think that's where -- what I can bring to the table the best would be most effectively used. KING: Is the presidential election going to be close in Michigan?

J. RAMSEY: Well, we hope not. I think -- I'm a big fan of George Bush. I think he's the right man for the time. I know that the Michigan Republican party is working very hard to see that he stays where he's at and runs the show.

KING: LaGrange, Kentucky, hello.

CALLER: Hi, Patsy, this is Marlene Irley (ph).

P. RAMSEY: Marlene! Oh, my gosh, how are you?

CALLER: I'm fine. I just wanted to know if you were still taking treatment at NIH?

P. RAMSEY: I am. Marlene. I met Marlene and her husband, her dear sweet husband was taking treatment at NIH when I was. And unfortunately, she lost her husband to cancer. He was a wonderful man. I appreciate you calling. I had a great check-up at the doctor. I've had three recent treatments and I'm great. Thank you for your prayers. It's great to hear from you.

KING: Santa Barbara, California, hello.

CALLER: Mr. Ramsey, besides the creation of jobs, what will your other priorities be if you are elected to office?

J. RAMSEY: There's a lot of local issues I've learned about. The bigger issues are there as well, healthcare, it's an issue for all of us. How do we keep the cost of healthcare down? How do we lower it? I think there's some things we can do at the state level that can get us started in that direction. It's not an easy problem to solve, but something our country is way behind on fixing. That's an issue. School funding. There's nothing more important in this country than our children. Our schools here are great schools, by and large, but they're struggling with funding. And that can't be a second priority item for us.

KING: How much money are you going to have to raise, John?

J. RAMSEY: Well, what I've learned is campaigning is expensive. We're hoping to raise about $200,000 to complete this campaign through November. It shouldn't be that way. It shouldn't be that expensive. Unfortunately, it is.

KING: Patsy, are you going to be very active in this campaign?

P. RAMSEY: I hope to be. I hope to be. I'm his biggest cheerleader. I really do. Between that and the new business, it will keep me busy and getting Bert (ph) through high school.

KING: It's no easy task, asking people to vote for you, is it? Not an easy journey. J. RAMSEY: It's -- no, it isn't. It's hard to do that. It's easier when you can tell them what you believe in and then ask for their support. It's very hard to ask people for monetary support. That's something I've never had to do. It's tough.

KING: Thank you both very much.

J. RAMSEY: Part of the process.

KING: We'll be keeping tabs and watching out in November.

J. RAMSEY: Thank you.

KING: John and Patsy Ramsey, the parents of the late JonBenet Ramsey, coming to us from the Stonewater's Inn in Bell Aire, Michigan, where he enters the race for the state legislature. I'll be back to tell you about tomorrow night another interesting show coming up then. Right after these words.

:woohoo:

was different. Didjn't include Tricia's question. It started with John Ramsey saying that they had hoped to recover money from lawsuits which was in response to Tricia's question but it didn't sound like an answer to a question - rather like a statement.

So, tell me someone - how does this work. Is JR running as a republican or a democrate or does that apply to this sort of political race??? And who's he running against?

I need a crash course on American politics as I look - long and hard - at the transcripts! Yeah, transcripts!!- how exciting. Course, Jayelles comments suggests strongly that they are very scripted. But would CNN run scripted political perspectives? Gosh, I don't know. Like...is this an interview, or hey, maybe it's an ad. Sorry I missed this one.

trixie said:
Did anyone else think Patsy looked pretty bad? It looked like she had circles under her eyes and she's lost weight. I guess the chemo has been pretty rough on her. No matter what, I don't like to see anyone suffer.

I think John heard the question too. That's an old trick. If you don't want to answer, pretend you didn't hear the question and maybe something will happen in the meantime so you never have to answer. In this case, "Patsy" is what happened in the meantime. She sure jumped right in there didn't she? And she looked kinda pissed off when she first started talking about the foundation and the donation. I wonder if her nerves are going to be able to handle a political campaign. I also wonder if they're still both taking antidepressants.

I think Patsy looked thin--- I liked her hair.. John seemed honest in his anwers.

To bad John didn't hear the last question but, Looks like King should have had it repeated ...

I didn't think Patsy looked Pissed off-- just eager to answer for the money donated from the fondation for the day camp. 1000 should have been alot more.....

Pat has been diagnosed with Tramatic Stress Syndrom.Thats a problem you have to be medicated for ...

Well its been said at our forum that she is a "great actress"

That should answer any political campaign.

I hate suffering too :(

I don't know if our LKL format is the same as yours. It's part of CNN and the format goes:-

Larry King + guest
News headlines
LKL +guest
News headlines
LKL + Guest
News headlines
etc

For an hour.

The Ramseys were on the last segment of LK and the news anchorman announced "Now we'll rejoin Larry King" and it went straight into the last bit of John's answer to Tricia - missing out her question and the first part of his answer.

Jayelles said:
I don't know if our LKL format is the same as yours. It's part of CNN and the format goes:-

Larry King + guest
News headlines
LKL +guest
News headlines
LKL + Guest
News headlines
etc

For an hour.

The Ramseys were on the last segment of LK and the news anchorman announced "Now we'll rejoin Larry King" and it went straight into the last bit of John's answer to Tricia - missing out her question and the first part of his answer.

Are we sure that Trica called ?

Yes I really did. I got through. I couldn't believe it.

Interesting to say the least.

I don't know what the format was as I missed this program - assuming it was even on here. I think we get the same LKL as they do in the States.

I guess next it will be OJ for president. hmmmm...

twilight said:
So, tell me someone - how does this work. Is JR running as a republican or a democrate or does that apply to this sort of political race??? And who's he running against?

I need a crash course on American politics as I look - long and hard - at the transcripts! Yeah, transcripts!!- how exciting. Course, Jayelles comments suggests strongly that they are very scripted. But would CNN run scripted political perspectives? Gosh, I don't know. Like...is this an interview, or hey, maybe it's an ad. Sorry I missed this one.

Twilight, JR is running in the primary election as a Republican. Many Republicans, including the person now in the office JR's seeks (who has to retire because of term limits) are against him running on the Republican ticket.

First, JR will run against other Republican candidates (I think at last count, there were five or so), and the winner of that primary election will face the winner of the Democrat side of the primary in the general fall election in November (that includes our presidential race). The winner of the general election will take office in the Michigan state legislature, not the US federal legislature in Washington, DC.

I hope I haven't confused you more. :)

Here is Tricia's moment in the sun. Jayelles, now you will see it as we did.

http://s92053900.onlinehome.us/CNN_2004-05-12_LKL_Tricia_and_Ramseys.wmv

Edited to add:

There is a small glitch towards the end when Patsy's audio and video go slightly out of sync. That is in the file, not in your player. And I just noted that small headshake "no" Patsy gives when John says he could not hear the second part of the question. Why would she have any sort of reaction to what John says he could or could not hear?

King is being very presumptuous when he talks about November. Ramsey has to get through the Republican primary first, in August, where five QUALIFIED candidates are running against him.

My prediction...Ramsey will fizzle out, and keep the money raised in his primary campaign war chest.

Petronella said:
King is being very presumptuous when he talks about November. Ramsey has to get through the Republican primary first, in August, where five QUALIFIED candidates are running against him.

My prediction...Ramsey will fizzle out, and keep the money raised in his primary campaign war chest.

It is a shame John is such a sideshow, because his opponents, each in their own way, have some very good ideas for how to improve the quality of life of the voters in their area. For example, Jim McKimmy.

http://www.gaylordheraldtimes.com/articles/2004/05/12/news/top_stories/top_stories05.txt

With a strong understanding of Michigan public schools, McKimmy has ideas about how to make quality education a top priority while saving money in the public school system.

Because of early retirement offers throughout the state, many school administrators found themselves out of work before they were ready to end their careers. McKimmy formed a company that hired the former administrators, then contracted his employees to schools needing administrators.

"There was a void of experienced administrators because of the push for early retirement," McKimmy said. "It (his business) was a form of privatization of school administration,"

Now that is thinking which benefits everyone. Where does John even demonstrate he is capable of thinking up such ideas? His business experience consists of starting up a company, having it almost fail, then having someone come along and rescue him (Don Paugh, Lockheed-Martin).

How interesting that they chose not to answer the second part of Tricia's question. They didn't react in any way as though they weren't hearing properly. If the sound cut out, then surely they would have started answering the first part of the question? Seems odd and I wonder if this was a pre-arranged tactic should anyone slip in a question they didn't want to address? In politics, John Ramsey cannot pretend he didn't hear a question he doesn't want to answer. He'd be crucified.

Tricia asked the question loud and clear and he dodged it. That is precisely the kind of things which makes people think he is hiding something. In the video link which also covers Aurora from FFJ's "protest", he said he couldn't understand why anyone would still question their innocence. Does he really not see that it is this kind of evasive behaviour that causes it?

The European version started with the bit where he said "We had hoped to recover substantial damages for the very slanderous things that were said about us".

Seems to me the Ramseys moved back to Michigan so John could get into the political arena. Much easier winning a seat there than in Atlanta, GA.

The $1000 donation appears to be a political move as well - donating at this time in Charlevoix (especially since the Foundation is no longer active).

However, I would think the pay isn't that great. Doesn't the State Legislature only meet once or twice a month (which is all they're paid for)?

Don'tcha just love John stating they're readily available to answer questions (re: the case?).

What kind of business did Patsy open?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back