GUILTY MA - Lisa Ziegert, 24, Agawam, 15 April 1992 *arrest*

so basically those composites are useless? I don't see any resemblance
does anyone else?

Not between the pic of a younger suspect, but there is a resemblance to this more recent pic of the suspect.
Generally the Parabon system works best to eliminate potential suspects, ie. through eye/hair/skin colouring, as opposed to recreating an actual composite. imo.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/we-got-...-lisa-ziegert/
schara.jpg

Very lengthy and interesting article. An example from a different case, of how it may work in terms of eliminating potential suspects.
rbbm

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/07/forensic-science-justice-crime-evidence/
Then, in June 2015, Monica Quaal, a lead DNA analyst at the lab that works with the sheriff’s office, learned about an intriguing new way of exploiting the information contained in a DNA sample—one that would not require a suspect’s DNA or a match in a database. Called DNA phenotyping, the technique conjures up a physical likeness of the person who left the sample behind, including traits such as geographic ancestry, eye and natural hair color, and even a possible shape for facial features. Quaal immediately thought of the Bouzigard case, in which the DNA left at the scene was virtually the only lead. She contacted Mancuso and Lt. Les Blanchard, a detective on the case, and they sent their sample to Ellen Greytak, director of bioinformatics at Parabon NanoLabs, a company specializing in DNA phenotyping.

Here the investigation took an unexpected turn. Based on the available evidence, the detectives still believed her killer was likely Hispanic—perhaps a member of the Mexican crew who had fled the area soon after committing the crime. But the person in the DNA-generated portrait Parabon produced had pale skin and freckles. His hair was brown, and his eyes were probably green or blue. His ancestry, the analysis said, was northern European.

“We kind of had to take a step back and say all this time, we’re not even in the right direction

“In the future,” says Armentrout, “we would be doing this at the beginning of the investigation—who should and shouldn’t be on your suspect list.” As the field of inquiry narrows, the DNA of a suspect not excluded by the Parabon Snapshot could be tested against the actual sample left at the crime scene. And Parabon’s phenotyping is not intended to identify specific individuals.

does anyone else?

No these Phenotypes aren't useless. The DA said in the press conference today that the Parabon composite helped LE narrow the field of original persons of interest from 1992-93. This is pure speculation on my part but looking at Schara's 1987 Yearbook photo, he may have broken his nose at some time. There's no way a DNA phenotype can predict lifestyle, weight, injuries etc.
JMO

Reference link: http://www.masslive.com/news/index....spect_arrested.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, after 25 years, they finally got him! I am so glad they never gave up. And I'm glad this monster's suicide attempt failed. The family and her friends need to get Lisa justice.

Attached is the DNA Phenotype Composite from Parabon Labs released to the public in October 2016 (source MassLive).
b6872f0194fc9e1c2f43f669defe33a8.png
0168d07f758bfcce4f6a1272867930d1.png

I meant to include the Parabon Composite at the younger age as well. IMG_3497.jpg

I wish we knew what would possess someone to commit such a heinous crime. I'm surprised that none of the news outlets have mentioned any previous arrests or criminal record yet. I'm curious if former classmates and associates from the early 1990's will start commenting on their experiences with Schara.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Police say they have an idea of motive or rather why. I thought maybe someone on here would have an idea.
So senseless, you're right, It's something that can never truly be understood.

Not really any but it did state in an article posted earlier that the main point of this testing is to get atleast nationality......you cant know someone's weight or scars or tatoos etc but I say HEY atleast they know basically a white male, so I dont know if that narrowed it down or not, still want to know how they got the lineup they did to test and compare to the DNA they had from teh scene.....
does anyone else?

Dont you know they will.........hindsight......People never really think anyone is capable of something until it happens it seems. This is an interesting case....i follow several GA unsolved cases and a fellow WS'er that also from the area told me of this one....

I read recently somewhere the Shara's exwife kidnapped their kid whom he got custody of in the divorce years ago..adn she ended up dead....falling from a roof?? I can't recall but seems they had him on their radar?? Does anyone know?

Basically I'd like to know how they went from phenotype to shara as a suspect......motive? probably none other than he's a freak.....

and the more i look at the pheno composite, the more i think it's not that far off really!!

good job is all i can say!

Prayers to her family
I wish we knew what would possess someone to commit such a heinous crime. I'm surprised that none of the news outlets have mentioned any previous arrests or criminal record yet. I'm curious if former classmates and associates from the early 1990's will start commenting on their experiences with Schara.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Argh, my computer crashed as this page was loading last month and I forgot to come back see what was new. Great news.

Wow, I was just wondering the other day if there were new developments since the release of the new image. This is great news, I hope it brings some peace to Lisa's family and friends.

Snipped: "Basically I'd like to know how they went from phenotype to shara as a suspect......motive? probably none other than he's a freak....."

I was reading about this case last night, and from what I can gather, LE had a list of men who REFUSED to give their dna when the crime was committed. Schara was one on the list. They got his dna sample after the phenotype came out (don't recall how), and BINGO! I think he looks like the phenotype when he was 25 years younger. JMO, of course. I hope he gets the death penalty. I also hope they compare his dna with other unsolved crimes. I have a feeling this is not his first rodeo!

He was already on their radar, I believe, because his exwife had commented she thought he had something to do with it many years ago. He had written a letter and confessed, describing the events before he left and headed for Connecticut (where he was apprehended). Now, he is pleading, "Not guilty!"

Here is a recent report about how this infamous New England cold case was solved:

How Investigators Solved the Stabbing Murder of a Young Mass. Educator 25 Years Later:

Investigators looking into the 1992 rape and murder of 24-year-old Lisa Ziegert knew they would need DNA evidence to solve the case. But the written confession from the killer fell into their laps unexpectedly.

Their big break came decades later, in 2017, when Gary Schara’s girlfriend provided investigators with the incriminating evidence.

Dateline, which will air Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 CT. “One of them was essentially a confession letter. Another letter was a last will and testament. He also left a apology letter for the Ziegert family.”" data-reactid="33">“There were three separate letters,” Massachusetts State Police Trooper Noah Packer said in the interview with NBC’s Dateline, which will air Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 CT. “One of them was essentially a confession letter. Another letter was a last will and testament. He also left a apology letter for the Ziegert family.”

In September of 2017, authorities sealed their case against Schara after searching his home and finding DNA samples matching the crime scene.

Says Pack, “We knew that we were gonna solve this case with a DNA match. We didn’t expect to solve this case by somebody writing confession letters.”

Here is a recent report about how this infamous New England cold case was solved:

How Investigators Solved the Stabbing Murder of a Young Mass. Educator 25 Years Later:

Investigators looking into the 1992 rape and murder of 24-year-old Lisa Ziegert knew they would need DNA evidence to solve the case. But the written confession from the killer fell into their laps unexpectedly.

Their big break came decades later, in 2017, when Gary Schara’s girlfriend provided investigators with the incriminating evidence.

Dateline, which will air Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 CT. “One of them was essentially a confession letter. Another letter was a last will and testament. He also left a apology letter for the Ziegert family.”" data-reactid="33">“There were three separate letters,” Massachusetts State Police Trooper Noah Packer said in the interview with NBC’s Dateline, which will air Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 CT. “One of them was essentially a confession letter. Another letter was a last will and testament. He also left a apology letter for the Ziegert family.”

In September of 2017, authorities sealed their case against Schara after searching his home and finding DNA samples matching the crime scene.

Says Pack, “We knew that we were gonna solve this case with a DNA match. We didn’t expect to solve this case by somebody writing confession letters.”
This Dateline is very good. It is also a cautionary reminder of why people shouldn’t point the finger without actual facts or spread rumors in cases such as this one. Even the four pages here have posts alluding to the son of a police chief having killed her and that there was a big cover up. This turned out to be completely false. The man’s father was never a chief of police to begin with which should have been people’s first clue that it was all rumor and hearsay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back