GUILTY MA - Two women & two kids stabbed to death, Winchester, 14 June 2010

I grew up in Winchester & went to Winchester HS..The grandmother, Ellen (Ragner) Stone graduated way ahead of me & her daughter about 10 years after me so I don't know either one but hubby's cousin may know Ellen Stone cos he graduated the year before her..We plan on asking him sometime today.

Winchester is NOT a town you'd expect any kind of violence, especially not something as horrific as this is :(

eta..I just found out from the article link above that the other daughter, Debra, lives on the SAME street as my in-laws & where my hubby grew up..They didn't know Debra but all know the Murphy couple (lives across from Debra) that went to the home with her to check on her family..They went inside with responders & must be traumatized over what they saw (blood all over) inside.

Another senseless slaughter of an entire family. I just don't understand how someone could look into the eyes of a child and then kill them. Major shivers.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/06/search_for_man.html

WINCHESTER -- Thomas Mortimer IV, who has been charged with murdering his wife, his two children, and his mother-in-law inside their Winchester home, was arrested today in the western Massachusetts town of Bernardston, according to Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr.'s office.

The circumstances of his capture have not been released, but he is alive and under arrest at the Bernardston police station. Leone has scheduled a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today in Woburn to discuss the arrest.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/06/search_for_man.html

WINCHESTER -- Thomas Mortimer IV, who has been charged with murdering his wife, his two children, and his mother-in-law inside their Winchester home, was arrested today in the western Massachusetts town of Bernardston, according to Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr.'s office.

The circumstances of his capture have not been released, but he is alive and under arrest at the Bernardston police station. Leone has scheduled a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today in Woburn to discuss the arrest.

bbm

LE said there were signs the SOB tried to commit suicide inside the home but he obviously failed for whatever reason..I thought for sure they'd find him some place else dead..I'm torn over this cos it is what he deserves but I also would like to know why he did this EVIL act..Maybe we will someday.

The local police chief caught him after a short chase. He had been out looking for Mortimer when he spotted him!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/

Bernardston police didn't immediately return a message seeking comment. But Police Chief David Guilbault of nearby Greenfield said he heard the chase on his radio at about 1:15 p.m.

Guilbault said Bernardston Police Chief James Palmeri was driving the back roads of his town looking for Mortimer when he reported that he was chasing a car on Merrifield Road that matched the description of Mortimer's. A short time later Palmeri reported making the arrest.

"He took the suspect into custody with no incident," Guilbault said. "He did an outstanding job. I'm delighted he got him so fast. I'm delighted [Mortimer] is in custody."

bbm

LE said there were signs the SOB tried to commit suicide inside the home but he obviously failed for whatever reason..I thought for sure they'd find him some place else dead..I'm torn over this cos it is what he deserves but I also would like to know why he did this EVIL act..Maybe we will someday.

I live about 50 mile away and pegged this guy for a suicide. Guess he didn't have the guts/nuts (and by nuts I mean nutty... sorta) to follow through. It's much easier to kill a few women and children. Reminds me of the Neil Entwistle case which was even closer by. Both cases seem to stem around money problems. Although NE was on the prowl for women/sex. I wonder if we'll find out the same about this guy -- that money, freedom and sex were the motive.

Still no PC at 4:25p..Local news said at 3p it would be in 1/2 hr..LE did the same thing yesterday when they kept moving up the time..Who knows when it will happen now.

Wow. I didn't know Laura Stone Mortimer, but apparently she worked in the same highrise office building as me. Probably rode the elevator with her a few times. What a senseless tragedy. Thankfully the guy is behind bars now. Condolences to her family... what a devastating loss, 3 generations.

I live about 50 mile away and pegged this guy for a suicide. Guess he didn't have the guts/nuts (and by nuts I mean nutty... sorta) to follow through. It's much easier to kill a few women and children. Reminds me of the Neil Entwistle case which was even closer by. Both cases seem to stem around money problems. Although NE was on the prowl for women/sex. I wonder if we'll find out the same about this guy -- that money, freedom and sex were the motive.

This reminds me of the Sueppel family murders in Iowa two years ago.
The husband did manage to commit suicide shortly after murdering his wife and four children. He was slated for trial on charges of embezzling a large amount of money from the bank where he was vice-president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_City_Sueppel_Murders

I'm haunted by the pictures of his beautiful children. :( I cannot begin to quantify how badly stories like this affect me. I just don't know how someone could "snap" and do something like this.
Why couldn't he have just taken his own life and leave it at that????? Why.

His employer said he was doing "great" at his new job & had just given him a major pep talk..He told him the day before he was sure he'd become very successful..Maybe the $$$ wasn't enough but it wasn't like he had to support the entire household himself with his wife working from home & his MIL reportedly a wealthy woman..She once owned a gift shop in downtown Winchester where all the shops cater to only the rich..Her (estranged) husband is a manager at a Lexus dealership a few towns over..I think it's safe to assume he gave her a substantial sum of $$$ which is why she never bothered to divorce him..IOW! Maybe freedom & sex are the motive or could be he's done a good job hiding the EVIL inside him!

Wow. I didn't know Laura Stone Mortimer, but apparently she worked in the same highrise office building as me. Probably rode the elevator with her a few times. What a senseless tragedy. Thankfully the guy is behind bars now. Condolences to her family... what a devastating loss, 3 generations.

It's truly a 'small world'..You'll know why I say this from one of my posts above.

Couple had an argument over the phone prior to him getting home where it continued..There had been marital problems for ??

The SOB wrote & left a confession letter--"I did these horrible things, what I've done is extremely selfish & cowardly..I murdered my family".

eta..Babysitter said he & his MIL had a huge fight last Saturday witnessed by neighbors.

Couple had an argument over the phone prior to him getting home where it continued..There had been marital problems for ??

The SOB wrote & left a confession letter--"I did these horrible things, what I've done is extremely selfish & cowardly..I murdered my family".

eta..Babysitter said he & his MIL had a huge fight last Saturday witnessed by neighbors.

I believe the grandmother owned the house and the family was living there for some time. There must have been some serious tension brewing in that house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back