GUILTY MA - Two women & two kids stabbed to death, Winchester, 14 June 2010

District Attorney saying the couple had marital and financial problems but no specifics at this time.

Completely awful. I can't pray hard enough for these poor souls.

His employer said he was doing "great" at his new job & had just given him a major pep talk..He told him the day before he was sure he'd become very successful..Maybe the $$$ wasn't enough but it wasn't like he had to support the entire household himself with his wife working from home & his MIL reportedly a wealthy woman..She once owned a gift shop in downtown Winchester where all the shops cater to only the rich..Her (estranged) husband is a manager at a Lexus dealership a few towns over..I think it's safe to assume he gave her a substantial sum of $$$ which is why she never bothered to divorce him..IOW! Maybe freedom & sex are the motive or could be he's done a good job hiding the EVIL inside him!

Sounds like from what I'm reading that he didn't feel like he could live up to the financial expectations, demands of private schools etc, living with the MIL and was angry. I know men that have lived with their MIL's that controlled the purse strings and let me tell you... it's not easy. He must have had a few screws loose and/or a honey on the side. Divorce is an option for sane people and that's what most of them do under the circumstances.

OMG. Why, why, why? Those beautiful little babies. I will never understand why so many men do this.

Why? Because the man had serious mental issues... probably a narcisistic psychopath... the real problem is why? why? why? didn't it get recognized earlier... I'm certain that red flags were waving all over that family... but he kept them walking on eggshells and his wife didn't know up from down after dealing with him day in and day out... I'll be very interested in hearing what close friends and relatives of the two women have to say... putting all the pieces together after the tragedy just isn't enough...

Why? Because the man had serious mental issues... probably a narcisistic psychopath... the real problem is why? why? why? didn't it get recognized earlier... I'm certain that red flags were waving all over that family... but he kept them walking on eggshells and his wife didn't know up from down after dealing with him day in and day out... I'll be very interested in hearing what close friends and relatives of the two women have to say... putting all the pieces together after the tragedy just isn't enough...

We shall see if he has mental issues - I don't think so. He was just a weak malcontent who couldn't deal with real life. Boo hoo. Lots of people are struggling right now. The majority of them don't brutally murder their sweet babies.

Too bad he was too weak to end his own miserable life. I will pray that someone else will do that for him...

Unbelievable sick. What a waste of 4 beautiful lives. The death penality is not good enough for this depraved man.

The news is claiming financial problems and I have no doubt it's true. However, I was thinking 18 months unemployed -- that's a lot of time to get into trouble on the internet in addition to whatever financial problems they may have had.

good luck with that...doubt he's able to successfully use an insanity defense....also looks like no one was able to fight back--no defensive wounds visible on his at today's hearing....

I think the fact that he left notes saying that he did it and indicating that he knew it was wrong is going to totally torpedo an insanity defense.

In this last article it says the man and son who helped jump start Mortimer's truck in Montague "were suspicious," so they called the police. I wonder what they were suspicious of? He didn't have blood or anything on him when he was arrested a short while later...so what made them call LE? Whatever it was, I'm so glad they did! What a nutcase.

http://senzala-senzala.blogspot.com/2009/09/family-annihilator-fathers-who-kill.html

In a 2006 report called "American Roulette: Murder-Suicide in the United States" the Violence Policy Center described the family annihilator as a subcategory of "intimate-partner murder-suicide" and states that this type of murderer kills not only his wife/girlfriend and their children, but often other family members as well, such as a mother or mother-in-law who resides with them, before killing themselves. Renowned psychiatrist and frequent expert witness Park Dietz says these killers are in complete control of themselves when they kill, so do not fit the requirements of legal insanity. They are not psychotic, they realize that what they are doing is wrong, and they could stop themselves, but choose not to.

http://senzala-senzala.blogspot.com/2009/09/family-annihilator-fathers-who-kill.html

Men who kill their families, these annihilators, usually have no criminal record. They are the perfect citizen, with jobs as doctors, lawyers, businessmen, military personnel, or even law enforcement officers. They are not drug or alcohol abusers, nor are they usually under the influence of drugs or alcohol when they kill. Their sudden attack on their family may appear to come out of the blue. (Dr. Jack) Levin states, though, that if they had been seen by psychologists prior to committing their murders, those psychologists would have noticed warning signs of rage, and of blaming others for their problems. They would also notice that these men think of their families as their possessions. Some experts believe, however, that there may be prior patterns of domestic abuse in these families, even though it is not always reported.

As stated above, these crimes are not committed while the man is insane, either by the legal or clinical definition of insanity. Dr. Levin says, "These are executions. They are never spontaneous... they are not carried out in the heat of the moment... they are very methodical and it is often planned out for a long time." Men who don't commit suicide after killing their families, or who attempt suicide and fail, may try to plead insanity when brought to trial. Such a plea has yet to be accepted in any court in the U.S. or in Great Britain, because of the planning and execution of the crimes, and the lack of any discoverable mental illness. It should be noted that in the cases of women who kill for reasons other than psychosis or post-partum depression, such as Susan Smith, who killed her two sons because she believed they stood in the way of a new relationship in her life, pleas of insanity are just as unlikely to be accepted as they are for men.

Thanks Joe. Those last couple of posts were very interesting and quite helpful. I definitely feel more informed about this kind of thing now. It was interesting to see the clear delineation between psychosis and control.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12001460041180/

BOSTON -- Thomas Mortimer IV may not have said a word while in court on Friday, but according to a body language expert, his movements spoke volumes.

“This guy doesn't care. There’s a certain callousness about him,” said Joe Tecce, a Boston College psychology professor.

Tecce, a body language expert, studied Mortimer’s movements after he appeared in court on Friday, charged with killing his entire family.

Hmm. The "body language" expert seems to contradict himself there. The most obvious way is that he says Mortimer is very calm, not worried, and "a deer in headlights." Um, does he know what that last phrase means? A deer looks like that in headlights because he is overwhelmingly stressed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back