MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What LE looks at on your computer wouldn't become public info to MSM though. If your social media is set to private people wouldn't learn that about you either.

I have thrown out a lot of theories as I just try to think through things, many of them contradict each other. We have limited information, that's what happens; sort, process, speculate.

But you are taking what I wrote today out of context, you are implying things I did not say, because of things I've speculated on in the past and in doing so twisted my words and meaning. Today all I said was I believe she knew her killer. You took it to another place.

BBM

And I think you are taking my comments to another place as well.

I am on WS because I like to puzzle out cases, not because I want to twist other commenters. It's as simple as that for me.

But I'm totally bowing out of this since I'm doing a terrible job representing my point of view....which has nothing to do with your point of view.

Thanks, Details. I guess I left that out. Upon returning to my Princeton like small town in MA, I felt completely safe. I walked to see childhood friends, by myself to a pond i found soothing...all without a thought. To me, it was childhood turf. I would never have thought a great student at a tough school involved in two sports, had many friends, etc., would follow me home...Essentially, she was throwing a lot away, but in her mind I assume she thought I'd grow to return her feelings.

While at school, yes, I was aware and tense even though so many students were around. She lived in my dorm and would leave packages at my door in the middle of the night. I never knew what was next. I first thought it was just a crush...wow, was I wrong. I was the dorm president, and tried to handle everything delicately as she was one of my "charges."

One other point is because it was back in the early 90s and we were from a small town, being gay was unheard of or else dismissed/never discussed. At the college, I think they would have acted aggressively had my stalker been male. This shouldn't have gone as long as it did, but at the time a lesbian stalker was seen pretty much as a joke.

Details and think hard...... I think you're both doing a great job. I enjoy all of your posts and the thought they provoke. Many theories are presented here - some are far fetched, some are not. I've presented ideas that I don't necessarily believe in. They all stretch out thinking, so please, keep it up!!! It's quite possible the reality of the case will surprise us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know mass often handles cases this way... Tight lipped. I've read multiple documents published via FBI web pages that discuss ways to handle the public and media. The tight lipped approach is valid, but doesn't appear to be their preferred. I understand the need to keep information and details under wrap and out of the public. But at the same time, LE has an obligation to inform the public. Ensure them they are still on the case, keep public actively thinking about the case and producing tips, and let them know if there is still a threat. It's not fair to keep a community on eggshells if they believe a threat is diminished. If they've narrowed this down to a "crime of passion" or isolated incident, or they know the assailant is no longer a public threat, they can inform the public in a sensative, non disclosing way without giving up suspects or details of the case - and should.

I agree with everything you have stated. If nothing else, at least let the public know if this case is isolated, or if it is the work of a serial killer. Although I don't think this case is connected with the queens case, it would be nice to at least rule that out, and if they do think it is a serial killer, they have an obligation to let the public know.

She was just diagnosed in December. The symptoms leading up to that diagnosis likely prohibited some otherwise expected activities of someone her age. I do think she was active in life (though probably not dating). I just don't see her as secretive and complex as you do.

But, I've said enough. I base this on my experience with someone in my life who was diagnosed with this disease and have seen what impact it has made on her life.

I'll await more info from LE.

jmopinion
Your post is accurate. Since she was diagnosed back in December 2015, her life was affected by the crohns, and did change because of it.

That's the evidence I'm referring to - I'm fairly certain the original article said that searchers found it 1/2 mile south of her body but since the original article no longer contains that info, perhaps I'm misremembering and it shouldn't be considered.

I'm not familiar with how quickly LE normally searches a crime scene - does it seem normal that they would be searching the woods 1/2 mile away 2 hours after the body was found? There was a large police response and they did have dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It makes sense to me they would search 1/2 mile away from the crime scene. especially if there was a walking path that exited out on the road etc. I remember seeing the bag containing evidence, but I am not sure where they got it They were also searching north of the crime scene too, just shy of a half mile. .37 Mi. to be exact.
Time stamp 1.51, you can see the cruisers lined up along brook station road.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/19/state-police-princeton-jogger-murder-fbi-vanessa-marcotte/

The college I attended, Mount Holyoke College, is idyllic. It's campus is gorgeous and serene, the students brilliant and hard working, activities abound, and darn, the food was among the best in my life. I am 45 now. I would do just about anything to move back to that oasis of intellectualism, inspirational peers and faculty, and a lifestyle that, for me, has been unmatched.

By that, I'm sure you could see no one could have pulled me away from that campus, a place where I studied challenging material, enjoyed my new peers, and worked on the side to earn some money. My whole life was there. My parents were about 1.5 hours a way, also divorced. I loved and missed them very much, but I was a "big girl" and was enjoying building a life away from home. I returned home on vacations, summers, and maybe for a weekend every 5-6 weeks. In the midst of that, one or both of my parents would save me the trip and come see me for some family bonding. Thus, I didn't disrupt the million things I had going on, but still saw my parents.

This continued as I graduated from Mount Holyoke (waaaaaahhh) and then went on to grad school at Harvard. Cambridge is great. I was making new friends. As a young adult, especially since I was from the Sterling/Princeton area, the world was suddenly big, open, and full of amazing opportunities. I knew I was lucky, and occasionally craved a visit home. But, I was so busy. School and work obligations don't always end at Friday at 5:30. I had a job at a library that I enjoyed, and taught 2 7th grade classes.

Another similarity to VM - I have a chronic disease that reared itself at birth. I have logged many months in hospitals. During college, I was on a wealth of meds and was continually monitored. And yes, when I became acutely ill, I did miss my parents more, but left for home only if I could manage to miss days at school/work. I had also gotten used to taken care of its ins and outs over the years, for what it's worth. As a working professional, I didn't have time to travel home, and honestly the travel could exhaust me and I'd sometimes return sicker than when I left...

That was status quo for many years.

But then...I got a stalker. It was my senior year of college and she was a freshman. It was a female and she tormented me night and day. At first, it was little gifts and notes, and then things became stranger...She learned my schedule and was standing outside my classes, for example. She started dressing exactly like me. The school put me in the infirmary until I could make other plans, but she somehow sneaked into the infirmary, which set me off. It was at that point I felt I was in very serious trouble. I no longer wanted to be at my idyllic campus...even though graduation was near. I began going home more frequently, and at one point stayed a week and worked on schoolwork from home.

One day, a friend from back at school said my stalker had been gone for two days. My family went on alert. End of story - she had taken a bus, then a cab to my town and was asking around at small stores (again, we lived in a Princeton like town) where my family lived. We were very well known in town bc my dad coached numerous youth teams. Within hours that day a cab came up the driveway. Behind it, a couple of cop cars. From there, she was kicked out of school and sent across the country where she lives and I have never heard from her again.

It is amazing what stalkers will do. One of her notes told me that I just didn't know that I loved her yet, but I would soon.

I could go on and on. In VM's case, we are privy to no such stories, but when that was happening, my health was plummeting. I ended up in the hospital for acute respiratory problems, and even spent a few days in a "rest facility" trying to peel back the terror and paranoia I'd been feeling for so long.

Through all of this, I was a 4.0 student, looked healthy, smiled and laughed at people, and "seemed just great"...The things we don't know about others' lives...

These remembrances keep me tuned into VM, and I am consistently running through options. The addition of social media, I think, would have ramped up my situation, but this was back in the 90s. My stalker would have had more pics, more info, more ideas where I would be, who my friends are, scheduling, etc...Obsessive people will stop at nothing for just another shred of that person's life, one they feel is partially, or even completely, theirs.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
One thing that I got out of it was that others knew that you had a stalker. I would think that if VM had one, someone would have known about that too. She may/ may not have kept that from her parents to keep them from worrying, but I would think a friend of hers would have known. JMO

Thanks, Details. I guess I left that out. Upon returning to my Princeton like small town in MA, I felt completely safe. I walked to see childhood friends, by myself to a pond i found soothing...all without a thought. To me, it was childhood turf. I would never have thought a great student at a tough school involved in two sports, had many friends, etc., would follow me home...Essentially, she was throwing a lot away, but in her mind I assume she thought I'd grow to return her feelings.

While at school, yes, I was aware and tense even though so many students were around. She lived in my dorm and would leave packages at my door in the middle of the night. I never knew what was next. I first thought it was just a crush...wow, was I wrong. I was the dorm president, and tried to handle everything delicately as she was one of my "charges."

One other point is because it was back in the early 90s and we were from a small town, being gay was unheard of or else dismissed/never discussed. At the college, I think they would have acted aggressively had my stalker been male. This shouldn't have gone as long as it did, but at the time a lesbian stalker was seen pretty much as a joke.
Just to add to your last paragraph.
There were also no anti stalking laws in the early 90s. Bill Clinton signed the first in 1994, but they really didn't take hold fully until 2005. Not to say they stop all stalkers, but they do make it harder to stalk.

Mainely16: Thank you for sharing your experience. You are a survivor of such trauma. God Bless

Heather 301...
I read in the previous closed thread where you asked if VM had an ex boyfriend.
Sorry I can't quote your post. (maybe because the thread is now closed?)
To answer your question, the state police have told VMs' father that they have ruled that out. They have also said, just to elaborate... "there is not one negative note with any of this."

Heather 301...
I read in the previous closed thread where you asked if VM had an ex boyfriend.
Sorry I can't quote your post. (maybe because the thread is now closed?)
To answer your question, the state police have told VMs' father that they have ruled that out. They have also said, just to elaborate... "there is not one negative note with any of this."

Rocky, is this from MSM? How is this known?

Your post is accurate. Since she was diagnosed back in December 2015, her life was affected by the crohns, and did change because of it.
Just wondering if you know specifically how VM's life changed because of Crohn's?

Rocky, is this from MSM? How is this known?

Yes, this is from MSM
Click on the link, click "continue," and it is on paragraph 13. That was the first thing they ruled out, being this article was from Aug 9th. VMs dad said he had been at the police station all night, so I assume that clip was from the afternoon of the 8th.
Makes sense. LE starts with the family and works themselves out from there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...n-great-kid/mUTVnnhtLndONFAtwYld2H/story.html

Just wondering if you know specifically how VM's life changed because of Crohn's?
I will post only what I can back by MSM.
This is the link I read in regards to crohn's. No specifics
Paragraph 2
https://www..com/vanessamarcotte
VM ran a race in Falmouth Ma to raise money. If you read her twitter, there was mention of this in years past. There was no mention of that this year

Yes, this is from MSM
Click on the link, click "continue," and it is on paragraph 13. That was the first thing they ruled out, being this article was from Aug 9th. VMs dad said he had been at the police station all night, so I assume that clip was from the afternoon of the 8th.
Makes sense. LE starts with the family and works themselves out from there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...n-great-kid/mUTVnnhtLndONFAtwYld2H/story.html

Great pick rocky. Thanks.

Just because she didn't have a relationship with someone, doesn't mean someone wasn't infatuated with her. Sometimes those wackos can be silent. She may not even be aware, or even if she was, it may have been so insignificant to her she barely gave it a thought - much less tell her father. Not that she would keep it from others, but it mattered so little to her. Meanwhile, some guy is totally consumed.

I don't know, but based on not to much info, I gravitate towards this theory. I think a serial or serial in the making is highly unlikely. As do I a completely random act. (2 random attacks within a week of each other defies probability unless it is serial, again, I don't think this). She was out-reaching and community focused, I assume with exposure to many people. I don't have links to clips, but I have gathered this idea. I believe she dealt with someone in the past who mis interpreted her assistance and became infatuated. Or she went on a date at some point, was uninterested but left the other individual in a state of infatuation.

I'm sure the reality will be far different than this, but right now in my mind, this is the most believable scenerio.

Therefore, i dont think we are looking for some loner mechanic or plumber or guy who works for his brother and hangs out in socks. Rather, it could be an individual who integrates at a higher level... Has a degree, a professional job even perhaps. I don't think it was random, and doubt a threat remains to the community - until this individual develops another unrequited infatuation.

Weather the events of that afternoon we're based on a planned meet or an ambush. I just don't know. Either is possible in my mind.

You're welcome.
She had such a large footprint that I am sure that LE has a lot to sift through. ny, boston, leominster, princeton, etc, and as you say, a lot of different activities. I hope if he did know her and had contact, that the creep stood out in some way, and someone thought of him as an odd duck.

Yes, a lot of work for them to do.

A couple things.

One just because her dad said she had no relationships and the police said they have nothing bad 1-2 days after the murder. Realistically the police would still be limited in their collective information at this point, and while what they stated might have been true at the time it was spoken, i think it's reasonable to assume the wealth of knowledge police had at the 36-48 hr mark is far more substantial now then it was then.

My point is, I don't think we should hang out hats on those comments ruling in or out anything, it was simply too early in the investigation.
<modsnip>

Mainely 16, omg, what a nightmare! So in awe how you handled it, and cuddle that 20lb cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname