Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that enlightening statement to which I can only add comment thanking the powers that be for the attributes which allowed German law enforcement to have kept a man (and no doubt many others just like him) off the streets and thus safeguarding women and children from his crimes.

Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner is denied parole and branded a 'danger to society'

CB is currently serving seven years in jail for raping a pensioner in Praia da Luz and had become eligible for parole after serving half of his sentence, taking into account time spent on remand.

But the Mirror reports that the panel are thought to have found a high risk of reoffending, concluding that his 'social prognosis' meant he had to stay locked up in Kiel, north Germany.
He is rightfully in prison for a crime he has been proven to have committed. The investigators and prosecutors did their job, achieved the correct result and were paid the market rate.

Achieving this outcome does not make them immune to mistakes or criticism. They get paid, which is their reward for their work, no different from the plumber who prevents effluence from inundating our homes or the teacher who has to endure impulsive children and their snowflake parents.

I appreciate people who do good work and am critical when they don't. It's the way I have been treated at work and IMO very fair. Criticism isn't necessarily bad, it builds character, teaches important lessons and pushes people to perform better.

The alibi is an irrelevance. It does not exist.

Reading back on your posts you have failed to grasp the elementary and fatal error made by the first Portuguese investigators who tried to fit the evidence to their theory. Since their theory was insupportable - they were doomed to failure. It is possible missing MM paid the price for that investigative failure.

The current German led initiative has been evidence led right from the beginning.
That is self explanatory and requires no further embellishment except for the fact the evidence points to no-one other than CB which has made him the only suspect.
My opinion
BIB, I have a song stuck in my head... It's by the Propeller Heads... I think it features Shirley Bassey... it goes something about ... "little bits of history repeating"

That's part of their job.

Another part of it is to prove BARD that they have the correct offender, not proclaim guilt in the media before trial - that is not due process, it's a publicity campaign.

If your point is that you want to see the correct criminal/s convicted for MM's disappearance, then I agree with you entirely.
Indeed it is a publicity campaign designed to raise public awareness of serious crime and a serious criminal about which members of the public may have information to impart.

There has been an entire cult built around the personality of the messenger which deflects from the message. Whether intentional or not it is beyond my ken but as far as raising public awareness goes it is indisputable that getting the message out there needs publicity.

But there are two sides to every coin.

One can only surmise that the reason DM rape was solved so expertly and timeously was because it had slipped under the radar and was not associated with MM.

That did not happen for HB who became aware of the similarity of her rape and that of DM because of the publicity surrounding CB.
Unfortunately justice for HB immediately was tagged alongside MM and has been put on the back burner as a result and she awaits in the jurisdiction queue along with everyone else. Sad but true and absolutely typical of the obstacles endemic from start to finish for MM.
My opinion

I'm not too sure that the Ch5 documentary is an appropriate forum to weigh against the years of work put into the case by the police. And reveals the paucity the of contention made in support of CB one of which was promoting his non-existent alibi.
Snip
But investigative journalist, MWT said there was a "massive problem" with this theory and appeared to disagree with claims against CB.
He said: "As a result of my investigation I can tell you very clearly that neither can they place him using that phone outside the apartment on the evening...they can't even place him using that phone in the days and weeks prior to that."

The documentary will also look into an alibi for the suspect.

We watched this documentary at the time of broadcast and for me it didn't pass the grade even as a murder/mystery entertainment. The MWT presumption to know better than police investigators is quite risible.
Still doesn't negate the fact that HCW is on tape on the record saying CB cannot be placed in Luz no matter your criticism of the MWT docu or otherwise.

He is rightfully in prison for a crime he has been proven to have committed. The investigators and prosecutors did their job, achieved the correct result and were paid the market rate.

Achieving this outcome does not make them immune to mistakes or criticism. They get paid, which is their reward for their work, no different from the plumber who prevents effluence from inundating our homes or the teacher who has to endure impulsive children and their snowflake parents.

I appreciate people who do good work and am critical when they don't. It's the way I have been treated at work and IMO very fair. Criticism isn't necessarily bad, it builds character, teaches important lessons and pushes people to perform better.
Probably a bit of an oxymoron for you there regarding pre and post investigative work.

You concede that CB is rightfully imprisoned because of police work which incidentally was completed under the MM radar.

The objection you have to the MM case is because of the police work which unlike the successful prosecution you noted, cannot be under the radar when press leaks designed to interfere with the German investigation were released.
Seems those leaks had the desired effect.
My opinion

Personally I'm not so sure about MWT
But there again he's not got his backside stuck on a seat typing away he went out and investigated in his own .indomitable style.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, obvious.
But yes, I highlight The level of support there is for CB's innocence...it's here for the records...
It could be turned around to why is there a level of support for CBs guilt when clearly anything of the sort as not been established in regards to MM.

Last edited:
Probably a bit of an oxymoron for you there regarding pre and post investigative work.

You concede that CB is rightfully imprisoned because of police work which incidentally was completed under the MM radar.

The objection you have to the MM case is because of the police work which unlike the successful prosecution you noted, cannot be under the radar when press leaks designed to interfere with the German investigation were released.
Seems those leaks had the desired effect.
My opinion
I disagree with that assertion. The investigation was at an impasse so the appeal was necessary to obtain evidence.

Certainly, HCW telling every tabloid in the UK that CB had murdered MM is unnecessary. This is not gaining publicity, it’s more like political spin - skewing the facts to tell the tale you want people to hear.

Indeed it is a publicity campaign designed to raise public awareness of serious crime and a serious criminal about which members of the public may have information to impart.

There has been an entire cult built around the personality of the messenger which deflects from the message. Whether intentional or not it is beyond my ken but as far as raising public awareness goes it is indisputable that getting the message out there needs publicity.

But there are two sides to every coin.

One can only surmise that the reason DM rape was solved so expertly and timeously was because it had slipped under the radar and was not associated with MM.

That did not happen for HB who became aware of the similarity of her rape and that of DM because of the publicity surrounding CB.
Unfortunately justice for HB immediately was tagged alongside MM and has been put on the back burner as a result and she awaits in the jurisdiction queue along with everyone else. Sad but true and absolutely typical of the obstacles endemic from start to finish for MM.
My opinion
It’s the high profile nature of the case that led to CB’s conviction of the MM rape not, this: “was solved so expertly and timeously” which sounds like promotional copy for the BKA’s services.

HeB tipped off OG. He gave his statement including specifics on the rape footage he had viewed. BKA investigator contacts PJ and asks if they have any unsolved rapes fitting the description in question. They identify DM as a possible victim. There is hair matching CB’s DNA profile at the crime scene. BINGO!

Where in the world is guilt assumed and innocence required to be proven? Why can he be ruled in?
There’s obviously evidence that rules him in, I mean he wouldn’t have been made an arguido if there wasn’t but that wasn’t what I asked. I’m interested to know from those who think he’s likely innocent of Madeleine’s disappearance/death what rules him out. Is it simply a case of “because they haven’t pressed charges yet”?

Reactions: Mex
I'm not sure about that. It's not FF's first rodeo.

Consider what he said in the media when suggesting his client was innocent. IMO, there was a clever subtext to his comments, which he is using to caution the prosecution.

He mentioned comparing the timeline generated by the witness statements with CB's phone records. He says he can prove CB was too far from the OC during the available abduction window to be responsible for abducting MM.

So, the prosecutors have the problem of trying to undo the contentious timeline created by nine people or accepting that CB has a firm alibi for the only time MM can be abducted.

IMO, it's an elegant tactical move and indicates how FF would approach a purely circumstantial case, which he is confident he is up against.
Do you have a link to FF‘s clever subtext please?

There’s obviously evidence that rules him in, I mean he wouldn’t have been made an arguido if there wasn’t but that wasn’t what I asked. I’m interested to know from those who think he’s likely innocent of Madeleine’s disappearance/death what rules him out. Is it simply a case of “because they haven’t pressed charges yet”?
So far we've seen no difference between this suspect and all the previous suspects. Nothing happens apart from media organisations generate profit. We've seen nothing to indicate the MM-CB investigation isn't going to end the same way all the previous ones did.

Media hype told us star witness HeB was being protected by police and needed protecting because his life was in danger. 'Star journalist' JC said that too. Bild's Kai Feldhaus tells us both myths are nonsense.

HeB says he's sure CB abducted MM but he doesn't know what happened after that. Meanwhile the investigators are convinced CB killed her but HCW appears to be clueless when asked about what happened on the night of May 3rd.

No wonder some folks are cynical, Dudley.

Last edited:
So far we've seen no difference between this suspect and all the previous suspects. Nothing happens apart from media organisations generate profit. We've seen nothing to indicate the MM-CB investigation isn't going to end the same way all the previous ones did.
Well that doesn’t really answer the question but ok, what would you expect to be seeing at this stage to reassure you that the investigation was heading in the right direction? Isn’t it the case that sometimes it takes many years from initial suspicion to securing a conviction, so what makes you so sure that isn’t the case here?

I don't know if I think he is innocent of Madeleine's disappearance, but it's a strong possibility.

There is a lack of evidence: no evidence an abduction occurred; no evidence CB was ever in 5A; no conclusive evidence CB was in PDL 3 May 2007; no conclusive evidence MM is dead (although almost certain); no forensic evidence to prove any connection between MM and CB. It genuinely is hard to rule him based on this which IMO makes me wonder why he should be.

His record, rumours from his gang of undesirables and retrospective investigations including DNA indicate that MM would be an uncharacteristic crime for CB. There is nothing in his record, media reports or open investigations that suggests he has ever, before or since, attempted or carried out an abduction of anyone; the same goes for murder. I don't think MM fits the profile of a CB victim, some say he is an indiscriminate offender but the pattern seems to be girls older than MM but pre-pubescent and older women.

I am dubious of the investigation. It feels like they are hiding something and trying to sell people on something.

Well that doesn’t really answer the question but ok, what would you expect to be seeing at this stage to reassure you that the investigation was heading in the right direction? Isn’t it the case that sometimes it takes many years from initial suspicion to securing a conviction, so what makes you so sure that isn’t the case here?
I've said what I think many times. The usual media hype that accompanied the June 2020 appeal told me the speculation about this suspect would end the same way as all previous speculation about suspects. The only difference between this wave and the earlier ones is this one had the novelty of German investigators being involved. That drove the massive hype we saw.

It’s the high profile nature of the case that led to CB’s conviction of the MM rape not, this: “was solved so expertly and timeously” which sounds like promotional copy for the BKA’s services.

HeB tipped off OG. He gave his statement including specifics on the rape footage he had viewed. BKA investigator contacts PJ and asks if they have any unsolved rapes fitting the description in question. They identify DM as a possible victim. There is hair matching CB’s DNA profile at the crime scene. BINGO!
Sadly there was no such BINGO moment for HB who was raped in 2004 nor did such a BINGO moment work out for DM who was raped in 2005.

It was only when a suspect was named that the forensics worked to the advantage of police investigators who could not have matched the one without the other.

Would that it was all as simple as you make it seem but had the information given not been followed through because of derision of its source - what then? No BINGO!
My opinion

I think it would be worthwhile having a care about the ramifications of equating individuals as alleged sexual abusers.

I don't know if I think he is innocent of Madeleine's disappearance, but it's a strong possibility.

There is a lack of evidence: no evidence an abduction occurred; no evidence CB was ever in 5A; no conclusive evidence CB was in PDL 3 May 2007; no conclusive evidence MM is dead (although almost certain); no forensic evidence to prove any connection between MM and CB. It genuinely is hard to rule him based on this which IMO makes me wonder why he should be.

His record, rumours from his gang of undesirables and retrospective investigations including DNA indicate that MM would be an uncharacteristic crime for CB. There is nothing in his record, media reports or open investigations that suggests he has ever, before or since, attempted or carried out an abduction of anyone; the same goes for murder. I don't think MM fits the profile of a CB victim, some say he is an indiscriminate offender but the pattern seems to be girls older than MM but pre-pubescent and older women.

I am dubious of the investigation. It feels like they are hiding something and trying to sell people on something.
The investigation is taking place in a manner commensurate with secrecy of justice.
What is wrong with that necessary common practice? MM case is no different from any other investigation except for the intolerable expectations demanded of the investigators by the general public. As illustrated by your suspicions.
My opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member