Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I would. Particularly if I knew investigators on the ground were doggedly following the wrong tack leaving me in the clear to get on with my life pretty much as before.
Snip
14 May:
Detectives take Anglo-Portuguese man Robert Murat in for questioning and make him an "arguido", or official suspect.
7 September: During further questioning of Mr and Mrs McCann, detectives make them both "arguidos" in their daughter's disappearance.
HeB, CB’s literal partner in crime, wouldn’t go back to Portugal more than a year later due to the unfavourable environment brought by MM’s disappearance.

However, having committed the actual crime, you think CB would be back committing burglaries in the same resort within a few months.

considering the scale of the story, you genuinely believe this?

One of the problems with CB is accurately placing him anywhere for any length of time.
If I remember correctly, in the months following MM's disappearance, he was at a festival in Spain ? and also spent some time in Germany, so placing him back in PDL area at the time of a particular burglary might be difficult.
I think your recollections are correct. He was certainly back in Portugal later in the year - late October to commit the €100k burglary.

One of the problems with CB is accurately placing him anywhere for any length of time.
If I remember correctly, in the months following MM's disappearance, he was at a festival in Spain ? and also spent some time in Germany, so placing him back in PDL area at the time of a particular burglary might be difficult.
Seems as if he was such an itinerant he could have been anywhere, HCW talks of knowing he was around the area at the time yet places importance on the call CB's number received imo because he can't say 100% he was there near 5a, also in the docu HCW never makes reference to taking MM out of 5a.

Perhaps watch the Panorama link and you will hear FF posturing that due to the prosecutors publicity campaign, it is not possible for his client to get a fair trial.
Worth a try I suppose considering his last procedural move on behalf of CB did delay the inevitable for at least up to a year by my reckoning.
And let's face it, I don't think if charges in MM's case proceed to trial the defence has much else going for it in the way of evidence. CB's itinerant lifestyle makes it difficult for the prosecution to build a case but may equally be a bit of a double edged sword for the defenders.
Snip
In the German legal system, a court must decide after it receives an indictment from prosecutors whether to take a case to trial.
The Braunschweig state court said in April its supposed responsibility for the case had been based on the suspect’s last residence before he went abroad and then to prison. But it said that wasn’t valid, because the suspect produced evidence of a later residence in the neighboring state of Saxony-Anhalt, where he was registered as the owner of a property that he kept after going abroad.
However, on Tuesday the higher regional court said that the last domestic residence of the accused can be determined to be in Braunschweig on the basis of several different indications and proofs — in particular earlier statements of the accused,

Sutcliffe was obviously emboldened by the poor quality of the investigation into his crimes.

While the police were certainly looking for him, it wasn’t the same circus that was occurring in PDL.
I think whoever took Madeleine was emboldened by the poor quality of the investigation into HIS crimes, and especially the focus on the parents by August, when these robberies allegedly took place.

I think your recollections are correct. He was certainly back in Portugal later in the year - late October to commit the €100k burglary.
So you're happy that he was there in October, but not in August despite the fact that there was still a live investigation into Madeleine's disappearance over the course of those months?

Is even that certain, or is it just one of those claims that one sees in the media ?

Perhaps watch the Panorama link and you will hear FF posturing that due to the prosecutors publicity campaign, it is not possible for his client to get a fair trial.
IMO it's merely his campaign. No more than that. He can't say much more.

It was discussed on this thread… probably years ago now. IIRC, the prosecutors had to convince a judge that the appeal was the best course of action to help the investigation. I don’t necessarily think the appeal means the prosecution’s case is strong.

Rather, they have a compelling theory with pieces of evidence that suggest the theory is correct. The appeal was aimed at getting more pieces.

HCW is only communicating the theory of the case. Some believe he is doing this because of the strength of the secret evidence he has.This might be correct. Equally though, his job is to successfully prosecute crimes so it’s reasonable to think that his communication is strategic, perhaps to help a weak case.
IMO, the first.

If you abducted and killed a child and the case has widely press coverage, will you return to the very same zone to commit burglaries 3 or 4 months after?

"Returning to the crime scene" is a myth.
LOL in that Algarve?! In 2007?! Why not?! With that PJ team?! e.g. Cipriano....Knowing him so well the area and surroundings and all police laziness?! He literally may have joked and did what he wanted during years there. One more burglary, one more point in his confidence. And what we may not know...IMO, in this specific case, I'm not seeing it so unlikely.

Despite the appeal its still not known who called CBs number on the night of 3/05/2007, so it could be argued that some parts of the case the BKA are trying to build is roadblocked,HCW said this phone call is important.
Another thing to come out on the docu is when Bilton told HCW of the alleged apology , HCW looked taken aback in surprise.
MWT had this to say.
Don't know if they even further explored Diogo Silva...

I feel as though HCW is playing the media communications for the defence. The time the investigation has taken plus the media commentary seems designed to grind them down.

For the obvious reason that if the case is so strong, just charge and go to court. Something is amiss.
He explained that they may need more time to complete investigation. IMO they have more than announced but they still need more to charge beyond any reasonable doubt. They will not risk a trial without that. And let's see what they can get from the next trial (other cases)...

HeB, CB’s literal partner in crime, wouldn’t go back to Portugal more than a year later due to the unfavourable environment brought by MM’s disappearance.

However, having committed the actual crime, you think CB would be back committing burglaries in the same resort within a few months.

considering the scale of the story, you genuinely believe this?
It seems you concur with me that CB was perfectly at ease with continuing his lucrative burglary career.

CB 'is linked to 25 burglaries' in Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz where youngster vanished, court papers reveal

The burglaries occurred while the tourists were out for the night, with the intruder forcing entry at two of the properties before stealing valuables including cash, cameras, a watch and computer equipment.
There were no witnesses to the spate of crimes and no DNA profiles are believed to have been obtained by police at the time.

CB was arrested for diesel theft in the Algarve town of Portimao in April 2006 and spent the following eight months behind bars, but was a free man when the 2005 burglaries analysed by police occurred and was living near the scenes of the 25 crimes.
He admitted to a judge he was a convicted sex offender when he was held for the diesel theft, but the key information was never passed on to police investigating MM's disappearance.

The German drifter was linked last month by Portuguese TV to a 2007 burglary in Gale, a 45-minute drive east of Praia da Luz, that led to a family's £90,000 life savings being taken.

RTP investigative reporter Sandra Felgueiras claimed he had been working with a female accomplice who tipped him off so he could break into properties in the Algarve in copycat raids to the one investigators believe resulted in Madeleine's abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500