Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I don't know German laws, but would be possible to HCW to proceed with the 2020 appeal without any previous internal scrutiny? Would be possible for him to keep being "unconstitutional" for three years without being really challenged?
Would be possible for him to keep reputation and career three years later?
They have to be really sure they have the right man. Odd if they don't have more than "announced"...
It was discussed on this thread… probably years ago now. IIRC, the prosecutors had to convince a judge that the appeal was the best course of action to help the investigation. I don’t necessarily think the appeal means the prosecution’s case is strong.

Rather, they have a compelling theory with pieces of evidence that suggest the theory is correct. The appeal was aimed at getting more pieces.

HCW is only communicating the theory of the case. Some believe he is doing this because of the strength of the secret evidence he has.This might be correct. Equally though, his job is to successfully prosecute crimes so it’s reasonable to think that his communication is strategic, perhaps to help a weak case.

It was discussed on this thread… probably years ago now. IIRC, the prosecutors had to convince a judge that the appeal was the best course of action to help the investigation. I don’t necessarily think the appeal means the prosecution’s case is strong.

Rather, they have a compelling theory with pieces of evidence that suggest the theory is correct. The appeal was aimed at getting more pieces.

HCW is only communicating the theory of the case. Some believe he is doing this because of the strength of the secret evidence he has.This might be correct. Equally though, his job is to successfully prosecute crimes so it’s reasonable to think that his communication is strategic, perhaps to help a weak case.
Despite the appeal its still not known who called CBs number on the night of 3/05/2007, so it could be argued that some parts of the case the BKA are trying to build is roadblocked,HCW said this phone call is important.
Another thing to come out on the docu is when Bilton told HCW of the alleged apology , HCW looked taken aback in surprise.
MWT had this to say.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_063840_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_063840_Samsung Internet.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 21
Is this an opinion?

Can you please provide a source for when an apology has been made by a police force before someone else has been convicted or before the guilty person has been exonerated?

This would appear unusual to me.
I believe a number of high profile people accused falsely of sex crimes against children received apologies, eg Cliff Richard. The McCanns have been cleared of all suspicion by the way, that’s fact not opinion.

As usual it is quite odd for the prosecutor to be discussing evidence that the prosecutor might have against a suspect who has not been charged with any offence.

What is the point of this exactly, apart from being unconstitutional?
Unconstitutional? According to Bilton in the documentary it can be discussed here in the UK because the suspect will be tried in Germany and by a judge not a jury.
If you abducted and killed a child and the case has widely press coverage, will you return to the very same zone to commit burglaries 3 or 4 months after?

"Returning to the crime scene" is a myth.
Maybe you would if you knew the police were convinced someone else had committed the crime.

Reactions: Mex
During the Panorama broadcast, the landlord of Braunschweig kiosk flat from which CB was evicted for non-payment of rent said that CB brought a gang with him to recover the fridge. CB threatened him with a long knife. What was so important about the fridge? I seem to remember there was also the degrading shell of a fridge-freezer visible at the Arade dam dig in May 2023.
The fridge

Unconstitutional? According to Bilton in the documentary it can be discussed here in the UK because the suspect will be tried in Germany and by a judge not a jury.

Maybe you would if you knew the police were convinced someone else had committed the crime.
Was CB even in Portugal to commit the burglaries?

Despite the appeal its still not known who called CBs number on the night of 3/05/2007, so it could be argued that some parts of the case the BKA are trying to build is roadblocked,HCW said this phone call is important.
Another thing to come out on the docu is when Bilton told HCW of the alleged apology , HCW looked taken aback in surprise.
MWT had this to say.
So it’s either misreported or communication intended to mislead.

Any way you look at it, it is strange for a prosecutor to talk about evidence that he might have in a murder case, without confirming he actually does have it.

Imagine such behaviour in other contexts? eg allegations against a politician or journalist?

I really hope they charge soon because this is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Any way you look at it, it is strange for a prosecutor to talk about evidence that he might have in a murder case, without confirming he actually does have it.

Imagine such behaviour in other contexts? eg allegations against a politician or journalist?

I really hope they charge soon because this is embarrassing.
I feel as though HCW is playing the media communications for the defence. The time the investigation has taken plus the media commentary seems designed to grind them down.

For the obvious reason that if the case is so strong, just charge and go to court. Something is amiss.

How could they be looking for the camcorder in relation to MM when that dates to before she went missing?
Actually confirmed as missing in a van that was disposed of months before MM was abducted.

The Panorama report was full of holes on timing. The reporting is just approximate at best.

I feel as though HCW is playing the media communications for the defence. The time the investigation has taken plus the media commentary seems designed to grind them down.

For the obvious reason that if the case is so strong, just charge and go to court. Something is amiss.

Personally I wonder who he is actually supposed to be addressing with those comments.

if you have great evidence, why do you need to talk about it in the media. I suspect such comments are more for public consumption that investigative.

If you abducted and killed a child and the case has widely press coverage, will you return to the very same zone to commit burglaries 3 or 4 months after?

The SIM allegation seems to me to be a very useful piece of evidence, if it were actually true. How credible do you think the sourcing is on that?

I agree it would seem unlikely he would be back there 3 months later - but it might make sense as a fact that placed him in the frame?

The SIM allegation seems to me to be a very useful piece of evidence, if it were actually true. How credible do you think the sourcing is on that?

I agree it would seem unlikely he would be back there 3 months later - but it might make sense as a fact that placed him in the frame?
Watching the recent drama series about the Yorkshire Ripper I was struck by just how brazenly he returned to areas where he had committed appalling crimes only to commit more such crimes, even at a time when his murders were national news. Perhaps the risk of being caught added to the thrill?

Watching the recent drama series about the Yorkshire Ripper I was struck by just how brazenly he returned to areas where he had committed appalling crimes only to commit more such crimes, even at a time when his murders were national news. Perhaps the risk of being caught added to the thrill?
Sutcliffe was obviously emboldened by the poor quality of the investigation into his crimes.

While the police were certainly looking for him, it wasn’t the same circus that was occurring in PDL.

Yes, I would. Particularly if I knew investigators on the ground were doggedly following the wrong tack leaving me in the clear to get on with my life pretty much as before.
Snip
14 May:
Detectives take Anglo-Portuguese man RM in for questioning and make him an "arguido", or official suspect.
7 September: During further questioning of Mr and Mrs McC, detectives make them both "arguidos" in their daughter's disappearance.

Last edited:

One of the problems with CB is accurately placing him anywhere for any length of time.
If I remember correctly, in the months following MM's disappearance, he was at a festival in Spain ? and also spent some time in Germany, so placing him back in PDL area at the time of a particular burglary might be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500