Maine/Canada - Hurricane Lee, Sept 2023

I got a kick out of my cousin on Mt Desert Island ME. In her email to friends and family she (in her mid-80’s) posted photos of their heated up leftovers for dinner, topped off with homemade blueberry pie…always a favorite! :)

I got a kick out of my cousin on Mt Desert Island ME. In her email to friends and family she (in her mid-80’s) posted photos of their heated up leftovers for dinner, topped off with homemade blueberry pie…always a favorite! :)
Yum! I'm glad they are okay, and others we've heard about. Hoping to hear from @Lexiintoronto, but she may not have power.

The remnants of Lee will have it heading our way in the uk caught up in the jet stream , with an unsettled or even autumnal outlook next week.

It all goes around!

I believe typhoon remnants often die in Alaska (we just don't here about them because they hit remote areas)
I meant to have posted the forecast, they mostly end up with lots of rain and just strongs winds if they reach here.

LEE has now passed us and we've just had our power restored here. Some coastal flooding. We've made out OK; so much better for us than FIONA last year.

I suspect @Lexiintoronto is without power being they're in Annapolis Royal and LEE came ashore just south of them. I hope that you made it through OK Lexi and with little or no damage!! I know your beautiful area well from doing my military basic training at Cornwallis in 1988 and stayed in Annaplois Royal when my daughter got married at the Windgate Wedding Venue there. Have been trying to find updates from your area, but not seeing much so suspect that's due to the power being out.

I did a couple of facebook lives on the shore at our cottage (Nova Scotia side of border) and home (New Brunswick side of border) yesterday, but don't know if allowed to post a link here. They're both on the coast about 35 minute drive apart. Had some coastal flooding and lost bank at the cottage, but structurally everything is good. So, that is good.

Anxiously awaiting your coming back online Lexi and truely hope that you are all good there.

LEE has now passed us and we've just had our power restored here. Some coastal flooding. We've made out OK; so much better for us than FIONA last year.

I suspect @Lexiintoronto is without power being they're in Annapolis Royal and LEE came ashore just south of them. I hope that you made it through OK Lexi and with little or no damage!! I know your beautiful area well from doing my military basic training at Cornwallis in 1988 and stayed in Annaplois Royal when my daughter got married at the Windgate Wedding Venue there. Have been trying to find updates from your area, but not seeing much so suspect that's due to the power being out.

I did a couple of facebook lives on the shore at our cottage (Nova Scotia side of border) and home (New Brunswick side of border) yesterday, but don't know if allowed to post a link here. They're both on the coast about 35 minute drive apart. Had some coastal flooding and lost bank at the cottage, but structurally everything is good. So, that is good.

Anxiously awaiting your coming back online Lexi and truely hope that you are all good there.
Glad you're OK!

What do you mean "lost bank"? I assume erosion.

Is your cottage on the shore? Is it sandy and flat or hilly?

Decided to take a Google Map tour, because I'm not familiar with the area at all and decided it would be a good way to spend (waste) a few minutes and learn something new.

Parts of the area are marshy and flat and other parts look like the Great Lakes. How beautiful!

I noticed a few homes were directly on the shore, but it looked like most homes were like our lake cottage in Northern Wisconsin, which was at about 50 feet from the shore and at 10 ft or so in elevation.

I'm so glad you're safe! I'm sure right about lost power. Hopefully we hear from @Lexiintoronto soon.

AL132023_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

This is the NHC last advisory. No more tropical storm warnings, but it looks like a storm to me and it looks like it's going to impact people. But what do I know?

I guess weather service in Canada must be picking up local forecasts.

Glad you're OK!

What do you mean "lost bank"? I assume erosion.

Is your cottage on the shore? Is it sandy and flat or hilly?

Decided to take a Google Map tour, because I'm not familiar with the area at all and decided it would be a good way to spend (waste) a few minutes and learn something new.

Parts of the area are marshy and flat and other parts look like the Great Lakes. How beautiful!

I noticed a few homes were directly on the shore, but it looked like most homes were like our lake cottage in Northern Wisconsin, which was at about 50 feet from the shore and at 10 ft or so in elevation.
Both our home and cottage are on the shore of the ocean. "Lost bank" at the cottage - erosion as the surge occured at high tide so washed a bunch of bank away along our waterfront with one tree going down with it. We still have lots of room between the ocean and the cottage though so nothing drastic.

We are on the North coast of NS/NB border so Lexi would have had it much worse in their neck of the woods that we got. Lots of very strong winds too but I'm not sure we'd have lost ground had LEE hit during low tide. Blue dot is our home and red pin is the cottage. Bridge to PEI is just north of the cottage. For scale purposes, it's about 35 minutes to drive for us between the two places. Lexi would be further to the left bottom of the screen and down off the map - very close to where Lee came ashore.

Attachments

• 378851302_10168734635710131_2519316151503892409_n.jpg
    378851302_10168734635710131_2519316151503892409_n.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 11
Both our home and cottage are on the shore of the ocean. "Lost bank" at the cottage - erosion as the surge occured at high tide so washed a bunch of bank away along our waterfront with one tree going down with it. We still have lots of room between the ocean and the cottage though so nothing drastic.

We are on the North coast of NS/NB border so Lexi would have had it much worse in their neck of the woods that we got. Lots of very strong winds too but I'm not sure we'd have lost ground had LEE hit during low tide. Blue dot is our home and red pin is the cottage. Bridge to PEI is just north of the cottage. For scale purposes, it's about 35 minutes to drive for us between the two places. Lexi would be further to the left bottom of the screen and down off the map - very close to where Lee came ashore.
I was wondering too about what "lost bank" meant, so thanks for the explanation!

All good, thank you! What the sam hill was the storm doing in my neighbourhood at 5:00 - 8:00 am on Saturday?! It was supposed to hit us at night/early Sunday. I understand the outer bands cause cyclone action prior to it making landfall, but it was clocked at over 90 km in our area 8 hours before landfall.

No major damage here that I’ve heard of! This wasn’t as bad as Dorian or Fiona. It was just more nerve-wracking because it took its time getting here and then went off-course at the last minute.

It’s fantastic when it’s over and all quiet and you realize the roof is still on!

I'm so glad you're safe! I'm sure right about lost power. Hopefully we hear from @Lexiintoronto soon.
Checking in to see if anyone has heard from @Lexiintoronto .
Yum! I'm glad they are okay, and others we've heard about. Hoping to hear from @Lexiintoronto, but she may not have power.
I’m fine, and my neighbours are as well, thank you! Happy it’s over!

Peggy’s Cove, NS during the storm:

Last edited:
All good, thank you! What the sam hill was the storm doing in my neighbourhood at 5:00 - 8:00 am on Saturday?! It was supposed to hit us at night/early Sunday. I understand the outer bands cause cyclone action prior to it making landfall, but it was clocked at over 90 km in our area 8 hours before landfall.

No major damage here that I’ve heard of! This wasn’t as bad as Dorian or Fiona. It was just more nerve-wracking because it took its time getting here and then went off-course at the last minute.

It’s fantastic when it’s over and all quiet and you realize the roof is still on!
So glad to hear you and yours are safe.

I'm relieved to hear all is well with you!

That may have been in Maine.
Yes, in Searsport.
SEARSPORT, Maine — A 51-year-old man has died after a falling tree struck his vehicle in Searsport amid windy conditions brought by Hurricane Lee on Saturday.

Just before 9 a.m., Searsport police received a report of a fallen tree branch that hit a local 51-year-old man on Route 1 in the area of Prospect Street, Searsport Public Safety Director Brian Lunt told NEWS CENTER Maine.

The man had reportedly been traveling west in the area of Bayview Manor at the time of the incident.

Upon arrival, police discovered a large portion of a tree had broken off from the wind and had landed partially on the roof of the man's vehicle, Lunt said.

We've had some torrential downpours over the weekend, we do like to big it up, what's left of Lee will be the headlines going forward.

We've had some torrential downpours over the weekend, we do like to big it up, what's left of Lee will be the headlines going forward.

What's left is a bit wild in places.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back