Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me, I cannot think of a single plausible scenario where hijackers could successfully subdue 239 passengers without a single cell phone switching on. This would lead me to believe that if a hijacking had taken place, the passengers were never aware that they had been hijacked.

Which makes me realize that we have not heard from any families that have said they were talking to or had talked to their loved one on that flight. I realize it was night time there, but out of 239 people, was not one of them on a phone or in communication with a person on land? Or is Malaysia keeping that quiet.

This is a really crazy story. I started following it when it broke and thought maybe it had a mechanical problem and they would find within a few hours. Why isn't the responder working. You would think that at least one person would have gotten a message out on a cell phone. The pilots not saying anything is strange. Now I think back to last week when I heard something about a pilot being a terrorist. Could this be a new terrorist cell? The poor families. Not knowing where there loved ones are. They really need to get the drones on this and find this plane and the passengers.

IDK if this is a dumb question or not, but in terms of claiming responsibility for any hijacking, if it was the group located in China, could China prevent either them from hearing enough about the flight to realize it was their work (doubtful imo) or prevent any claims of responsibility from reaching the media, domestic or international?

Also, if it were a hijack, would they maybe not claim responsibility if it failed to reach its intended destination? Again, IDK if this is a dumb question, but culturally speaking, would they be less inclined to claim responsibility if they they viewed it as a failure (even if it is freaking out the rest of the world)?

I was just thinking that exact same thing. Maybe the plan was not to keep or even land the plane but rather to use it as a weapon immediately. Instead the plane crashed into the ocean - perhaps a passenger uprising? - and therefore the faction responsible has nothing to brag about.

EDIT: I see I'm a bit late with this post

I would not be surprised if MH370 is never found. Hopefully, it will be found soon. It is probably unlikely it went south of the equator.

BBM ~ Can you elaborate HMSHood? :seeya:

I have another question for those knowing planes technical devices etc.

In the CNN news edition, they have said that the emergency beacon that goes off when it hits water did not go off either.

I gather they know this because no data to say it went off was sent to Rolls Royce....

Does anyone know what this beacon is?? what it does?? and could it be switched off??

It has to be thrown out manually by the flight attendant. IMO bc i saw ut on cnn

Which makes me realize that we have not heard from any families that have said they were talking to or had talked to their loved one on that flight. I realize it was night time there, but out of 239 people, was not one of them on a phone or in communication with a person on land? Or is Malaysia keeping that quiet.

I'm confused as to why people keep asking this - is it commonplace for people to have phone conversations on planes now? I know a few flights are testing it, but I've never been allowed to have access to the "outside world" on a plane and I flew several times this year. One flight had very expensive internet access, but that was it. To me, the fact that no one called or texted is not odd at all given the location. Do you mean prior to take off?

They were the pay per-use phones on domestic flights.

No one ever used them. :floorlaugh:

yea, I do remember them. they weren't on every seat were they. but back then I flew Southwest.

Originally I had thought that this was similar to the Payne Stewart Learjet crash, and that MH370 had crashed somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Now I think that this was similar to SilkAir185, mainly because of the time difference between the data reporting system and the transponder each being separately shut down. The shut downs appear to have been manually done, given the information currently known to the public. However, even with this theory, I still believe that the plane crashed somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Take a look at the circumstances of SilkAir185, and notice the eerie similarities to the timeframe for that flight's separate data reporting systems being shut down. Also consider that the captain maintained a perfectly normal demeanor throughout that flight as well.

SilkAir185 Wikipedia stub: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185"]SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
2012 Canadian TV special on SilkAir185: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9LE0Vp1YM"]SilkAir Flight 185 - Pilot Suicide - YouTube[/ame]

So far nothing released to the public has suggested any kind of motive for the MH370 pilot to behave in this manner, but if anything comes out that seems suspicious, I am going to feel even more strongly about this theory.

This case is absolutely baffling and I hope we get conclusive answers some day. I am losing sleep over this stuff!

Is Hishammudin saying the White House lied today? "Plane did not fly for several hours after....contact"

You know, the fallout for this is going to hit hard somewhere. If wreckage is found in the area where it went off the radar, the US will look like know-it-alls. If the plane or wreckage is found 5 hrs away, Malaysia is going to look untrustworthy. :no:

Remember the 9/11 flights? Many passengers called loved ones, flight attendants called their home offices, ect when the planes were hijacked.

Why have we not heard of any calls coming from this flight if there was a problem?

the malaysians didn't buy the module that allowed cell phone use either

This is OT, but here's one of the airstrips to which I fly often for work -- Pangnirtung, in Nunavut (in the arctic). The airstrip cuts between mountains on one side, and houses on the other (and a fjord parallel to the landing strip, and a glacier at about 4:00 to it). The winds are wicked at this airstrip, and passengers regularly applaud the pilots on a safe landing. Short video -- in the summer, the landscape looks a bit like Geneva in Switzerland.

Tricky Landings 4 - YouTube

Not much room for error!

Let me try and clear up the cell phone stuff for people. Regular Cell service does not work above around 5,000 ft or lower over land. Out over the ocean it wouldn't work at all because there are no cell towers in that area. This aircraft was not outfitted with an inflight service to make cell phone calls and even if it would have been it could have been disabled by the crew. This aircraft also did not have wifi capabilities and even if it did the companies that offer that service have voice over IP disabled so people cannot use their phones to make calls with apps that allow you to make phone calls. Texting through iMessage is available but like I said this plane didn't have wifi.

The reason for the phones ringing has been cleared up by several news sources.

Now if the plane did land in some strange place I would be almost certain that the passengers and crew would have been incapacitated before they landed or even descended to a lower altitude. Terrorists are not in the business of letting innocent people live!

Bumping this recent post, which is a good explanation.

About once or twice a day on these threads the subject of cell phone calls from passengers comes up. Basically-- no satellite wifi on international flights (yet-- coming soon), and no ability to reach land based cell towers with hand held ordinary cell phones, once at altitude, AND over water.

Once aloft and over water on international flights, it's the "old days" of flying-- communications are dark till you land.

Lol-- don't buy the 24 hour discounted wifi pass when you "check in" on line for your international flight! You will likely lose your money. I only fell for that once 3 years ago, in the heady days when inflight wifi was new!

True - but that island... hot, arid, no source of food after running out of plane food (other than turtles/birds/fish), no fresh water (after running out of the plane's supply). At least in the Andes they had water (melted snow, if nothing else), and vegetation.

There's just nada on that island to keep anyone alive.

And, I think the airstrip is dirt.

There was NO vegetation in the Andes where the plane crashed in 1972. They had a tiny bit of snack food that ran out within the first few days (even though it was sparingly given). They survived on the bodies of the deceased.

(I have read the book many times. One of my favorite books. Not for the goriness of the story but because of the spirit and faith the boys showed and how they rescued themselves. Rescuers gave up on them so they rescued themselves, about 70 days later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221