MD MD - Anne Furst, 83, & Helen Larkin, 56, Aberdeen, 17 Oct 1989

Thank you maxa. I changed up your post to Mr TT so that your answers appear in bold. If I missed anything, let me know.

Are you receiving much help from the cold case detective named in the article?

The cold case detective doesn't respond to me anymore. He's the one who said the case is not a priority.

As far as the layout of the house, the living room was in the front, kitchen in the back where the brick was thrown through the sliding glass door. The bedrooms were on the side between the living room and kitchen. It is believed my mother was in the living room watching tv and my grandmother in the back bedroom. My mother was found dead in the first bedroom which means she moved from the living room to the bedroom. There was no trace of blood between. She was killed in the bedroom and found seated in a chair. She was beaten in the head. My grandmother was laying in the hallway right in front of the bathroom which is on the backside of the house between the bedrooms. I don't recall where my grandmother was beaten. To my knowledge, the weapon was never found.

A neighbor did hear the brick go through the sliding glass door and went out with a flashlight to investigate. He took a quick look and did not see or hear anything and went back inside. He was interviewed on a Unsolved Crimes programmed that aired a few years after the murders that I recently got a copy of. I have also spoken with him and he says he regrets everyday not investigating further. He still lives in the same house.

I did contact the Vidocq Society and ask them to take the case on. They were willing and contacted the Sheriff's department and were told they (Sheriff's department) could not give up a resource to work with the Vidocq Society. If you are not familiar with the Vidocq Society, check out their website. They have been featured on 20/20 and other similar shows.

I have gotten significant run around from the authorities. I was interviewed by 2 detectives (one being Nick who is on the ABC spot) just about a year ago. They seemed to be all over the case and then when I tried following up I was told this case was not a priority. Seems odd to me that they would drive up to NYC on short notice, interview me, get the ABC spot taped the next week, aired in 3 weeks and then nothing.

It's definitely quite the mystery and one I will hopefully have solution to at some point! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your thoughts and comments. Keep them coming!

I wonder if the local media or national media could inspire the department to shake loose a resource for the Vidocq Society? I have an incredible amount of respect for this group, and if they will take it then it has to happen.

Can you get a copy of the case file? ABC might have requested it via FOIA, but you are certainly within your rights. If you dont have it, we can walk you through the process. It is simple, and they will say yes or no. Then you can appeal it.

I think the case needs some more media and it would help tremendously. I wonder if hiring a PI would help as well.

I wonder if the local media or national media could inspire the department to shake loose a resource for the Vidocq Society? I have an incredible amount of respect for this group, and if they will take it then it has to happen.

Can you get a copy of the case file? ABC might have requested it via FOIA, but you are certainly within your rights. If you dont have it, we can walk you through the process. It is simple, and they will say yes or no. Then you can appeal it.

I think the case needs some more media and it would help tremendously. I wonder if hiring a PI would help as well.

I don't have a copy of the case file but would love one! How do I go about that?

I would check in with the ABC reporter first. Usually, media request a copy of the file via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) so they can fact check the story. They should be able to give you a copy since you are an interested party.

If they dont have one, here is what you can do:

1.) Request the case file by sending a letter or email to any of these three clerks for Aberdeen: Donna Burdette, Jennifer Liberto or Will Brooks.
(I would pick Ms Burdette because she is the Supervisor of Records.)

Ms Burdette's email address is available at this link:
Donna Burdette email address

2.) IF they deny your request, you can appeal it or if you have representation via an attorney, you can ask that your attorney issue a record keeping subpoena for the file.

Now, LE can deny your request if they think it will compromise an ongoing investigation. Seeing as how they tabled it as a cold case they dont have the resources for, it would definitely be a denial that is going to be tough to uphold on their part.

Let me know how it goes!!

I do want to say this in defense of LE-resources are very very tight everywhere. I know of several jurisdictions that have their detectives on patrol duty one to two days a week because of Department vacancies.

If we can get additional resources for Aberdeen via media interest etc, it will be a win for both parties.

maxaroad, I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother and grandmother. ((hugs))
You will find a group of very intelligent and compassionate folks here at WS.

believe09- I think we actually have a member (or two) here who is a member of Vidocq. Perhaps we could tap them for assistance for maxaroad?

I think the challenge for Vidocq is that LE has stated they are unable to cooperate. Clearly this is a jurisdiction in need of resources so that they can cut loose a member of the cold case squad to walk Vidocq through this.

Sometimes hitting the story with the media can encourage those with the purse strings to loosen them some so that justice can be served and the public satisfied, right?

Hmm. Vidocq has quite a few members who do private pro bono work. I do understand that the Aberdeen PD may not have resources on hand to devote to walking them through, but it is my understanding that Vidocq just needs an 'ok' from family and current LE to move forward- not necessarily resources from the LEA who is lead. Is that incorrect?

ETA: is it possible that Aberdeen declined because they believe the case might violate one of the conditions of the Vidocq Society? Or they are already working with Vidocq?

Hmm. Vidocq has quite a few members who do private pro bono work. I do understand that the Aberdeen PD may not have resources on hand to devote to walking them through, but it is my understanding that Vidocq just needs an 'ok' from family and current LE to move forward- not necessarily resources from the LEA who is lead. Is that incorrect?

ETA: is it possible that Aberdeen declined because they believe the case might violate one of the conditions of the Vidocq Society? Or they are already working with Vidocq?

You may well be right. Maxa doesnt have the case file though-I suppose that is why you suggested we have one of our Vidocq members drive by.

I can be so thick, Oriah.

You may well be right. Maxa doesnt have the case file though-I suppose that is why you suggested we have one of our Vidocq members drive by.

I can be so thick, Oriah.

Lol! You are never thick, believe09.

Let's give a wink and a nudge to some members, and see if we can't help maxaroad out. ;)

I am so sorry for your loss, MaxaRoad. It really sounds like there is something amiss in this case. My immediate thought was a crime of passion situation since it sounds so brutal.

This might sound completely off the wall, and I mean absolutely no offense, but is it possible that your grandfather who passed away could have had an affair at some point and an angry current or former lover might have decided they could get revenge after he was gone? Just something to consider that may be completely incorrect.

My uneducated opinion is that the brick was thrown as a distraction either before or after the murders. If it was thrown before and they returned home to find it as someone else suggested, would your mother have called your father just to let him know it happened? It is hard to tell what someone would do during such a grief stricken time, but that is definitely notable and would draw a red flag that I think I personally would want to share with someone else. That makes me think it was maybe thrown after the fact?

Maxaroad, I'm so sorry this horrible crime happened to your family and I hope you and your family find some justice!

I have a couple of questions on the brick and home. Was it determined where the brick came from? Was it found on the property? Were there other bricks in the yard? Also, did your grandparents have a security light in the back of their home? If not, it must have been dark, so one would wonder how the perp or perps found the brick, unless they brought it with them. Was there a curtain or blinds in front of the broken door? Was it possible your mom and grandmother didn't notice the broken glass door? Did the neighbor who heard the brick crashing through the glass remember the time of that noise? Thanks!

As far as the layout of the house, the living room was in the front, kitchen in the back where the brick was thrown through the sliding glass door. The bedrooms were on the side between the living room and kitchen. It is believed my mother was in the living room watching tv and my grandmother in the back bedroom. My mother was found dead in the first bedroom which means she moved from the living room to the bedroom. There was no trace of blood between. She was killed in the bedroom and found seated in a chair. She was beaten in the head. My grandmother was laying in the hallway right in front of the bathroom which is on the backside of the house between the bedrooms. I don't recall where my grandmother was beaten. To my knowledge, the weapon was never found.

A neighbor did hear the brick go through the sliding glass door and went out with a flashlight to investigate. He took a quick look and did not see or hear anything and went back inside. He was interviewed on a Unsolved Crimes programmed that aired a few years after the murders that I recently got a copy of. I have also spoken with him and he says he regrets everyday not investigating further. He still lives in the same house.

I did contact the Vidocq Society and ask them to take the case on. They were willing and contacted the Sheriff's department and were told they (Sheriff's department) could not give up a resource to work with the Vidocq Society. If you are not familiar with the Vidocq Society, check out their website. They have been featured on 20/20 and other similar shows.

I have gotten significant run around from the authorities. I was interviewed by 2 detectives (one being Nick who is on the ABC spot) just about a year ago. They seemed to be all over the case and then when I tried following up I was told this case was not a priority. Seems odd to me that they would drive up to NYC on short notice, interview me, get the ABC spot taped the next week, aired in 3 weeks and then nothing.

It's definitely quite the mystery and one I will hopefully have solution to at some point! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your thoughts and comments. Keep them coming!

For answering the questions put forward by myself and others.
I would like to do a question followup now, after reading your responses and additional information you supplied here in this post.
I have 3 questions for you .

. The glass that was broken in the back kitchen.
Was it big enough of a hole that someone could unlock the sliding glass door
if it was locked?
...Wondering if that's how they gained entered. Any idea on how entry was made?

The neighbor whom investigated the sound with the flashlight.
Do you remember if he said it was before they got home, after he notice they were home, or he doesn't remember if they were home yet or not?

3.quote from ...
He was interviewed on a Unsolved Crimes programmed that aired a few years after the murders that I recently got a copy of.
Would like to see that sometime in the future if possible.

3. If i was standing outside on the street or sidewalk and looked at the front of your house would i be able to see things inside your house after dark?
Is there a big center window on the front of the house?

The above fits into my theory about what may have happened.
After I receive answers to the three questions here. To see if they may fit into the theory. I will go back and respond to your answers in post 32 and give you a theory.

It is only a theory based on my speculations and assumptions of what may have happened/motive after reading your answers to questions put forward. My goal here would be to open a new avenue for you to travel on and see if anything there may develop.

But if this theory has/had already been discussed and researched back then and it was decided/determined the theory/motive should be eliminated or rejected then we will start again.

Your description of the layout of the home was fantastic.
And the additional information and questions you were able to answer are simply priceless.
You have done an excellent job of posting for your first time about your love ones.

Thank-you again for your help.

quote from post 38...My mother was found dead in the first bedroom which means she moved from the living room to the bedroom. There was no trace of blood between. She was killed in the bedroom and found seated in a chair...end of quote.

Your mother was not just found setting in a chair.
She was found bound to that chair.
Is that correct?
Do you know the answer?
The only way you would know for sure.
Would have been to see it with your own eyes.

And I believe it may be possible that your gm was murdered first.
After she heard something going on in the other bedroom
and was going to investigate it.

Bessie - the tv spot was wrong about how long my grandparents lived there. I never knew them living anywhere else. My grandfather had cancer and had been ill for some time. The death was not unexpected.
respectfully snipped

First I want to thank you and express my respects for you and your lost loved ones. I am so sorry.

Did your mother ever live in this house? If not this very house, did your mother ever live in Aberdeen with her parents before she moved out to live independently? Could there have been a past acquaintance who came to see her that evening after the visitation? Perhaps someone she would have let in? Because this was not a burglary and because the murders were so gruesome and violent, I too wonder about a crime of passion.

Also, did your mother have any siblings? Were they in town? Did they live in town or were they visiting also, if so, where were they staying?

Thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss, MaxaRoad. It really sounds like there is something amiss in this case. My immediate thought was a crime of passion situation since it sounds so brutal.

This might sound completely off the wall, and I mean absolutely no offense, but is it possible that your grandfather who passed away could have had an affair at some point and an angry current or former lover might have decided they could get revenge after he was gone? Just something to consider that may be completely incorrect.

My uneducated opinion is that the brick was thrown as a distraction either before or after the murders. If it was thrown before and they returned home to find it as someone else suggested, would your mother have called your father just to let him know it happened? It is hard to tell what someone would do during such a grief stricken time, but that is definitely notable and would draw a red flag that I think I personally would want to share with someone else. That makes me think it was maybe thrown after the fact?

There is definitely a belief the brick was thrown after the fact. That is what I believe as well. I think they knew who killed them. I feel my mother let this person or persons in and if they were trying to make it look like a robbery, they did a bad job. I'm not sure if my grandfather would have been having an affair. He was sick with cancer at the end. However I am open to all theories!

First, my sympathies to maxaroad & family for their tragic losses.

And then some first impressions I have about this case: The throwing of the brick, especially since robbery doesn't seem to be the motive and it would be obvious people were home (car in front, maybe lights on?), sounds to me like something done out of extreme, uncontrollable anger. It seems like it was done more to show how angry the perpetrator was, and not so much as a way to get in the house.

The article said that Ann and her husband hadn't lived in town long. Is there something connected to the place where they used to live? I'm just considering whether someone connected to their life in their old town saw the obituary and found where they now lived that way. That's another reason why robbery doesn't make sense; if a person saw the obit with the time of the wake and wanted to rob the house, they'd have done it while the wake was going on and not afterwards. But I can't imagine what kind of situation where they used to live might prompt such a violent killing.

The media was wrong on that. They lived there for as long as I could remember.

First, my sympathies to maxaroad & family for their tragic losses.

And then some first impressions I have about this case: The throwing of the brick, especially since robbery doesn't seem to be the motive and it would be obvious people were home (car in front, maybe lights on?), sounds to me like something done out of extreme, uncontrollable anger. It seems like it was done more to show how angry the perpetrator was, and not so much as a way to get in the house.

The article said that Ann and her husband hadn't lived in town long. Is there something connected to the place where they used to live? I'm just considering whether someone connected to their life in their old town saw the obituary and found where they now lived that way. That's another reason why robbery doesn't make sense; if a person saw the obit with the time of the wake and wanted to rob the house, they'd have done it while the wake was going on and not afterwards. But I can't imagine what kind of situation where they used to live might prompt such a violent killing.

respectfully snipped

First I want to thank you and express my respects for you and your lost loved ones. I am so sorry.

Did your mother ever live in this house? If not this very house, did your mother ever live in Aberdeen with her parents before she moved out to live independently? Could there have been a past acquaintance who came to see her that evening after the visitation? Perhaps someone she would have let in? Because this was not a burglary and because the murders were so gruesome and violent, I too wonder about a crime of passion.

Also, did your mother have any siblings? Were they in town? Did they live in town or were they visiting also, if so, where were they staying?

Thank you.

My mother never lived in the house. She was living in CT at at the time my grandfather died. My aunt, uncle and cousin lived in Aberdeen during the times of the murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back