GUILTY MD - Kami Ring, 10, raped & murdered, Port Deposit, 9 June 2013

Maryland State Police News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
6/13/2013

STATE POLICE ARREST SUSPECT IN MURDER OF TEN YEAR OLD CECIL COUNTY GIRL

(Port Deposit, MD) Investigators from the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit arrested the suspect today, responsible for the murder of a ten year old Cecil County girl.

The accused is identified as Richard Madden, 29, of the 100 block of Waibel Road in Port Deposit. Madden was arrested for the murder of Kami Ring in Cecil County.

Madden is charged with first and second degree murder, first degree assault and first degree rape. He is currently being processed at the North East Barrack. He will be transported to the District Court Commissioner for an initial appearance.

After consultation with the Cecil County State’s Attorney, Madden was arrested today at 5:30 p.m. without incident. He was being held at the Cecil County Detention Center for violating his probation stemming from drug charges.

The body of Kami Ring, 10, of Charlestown, Maryland was found in a field across the street from the home she was visiting on Waibel Road. Madden was one of three residents living at the home.

Crime scene analysts, working closely with homicide investigators, gathered evidence from the field, in which Kami was found, and from the Waibel Road residence, where she was believed to be staying.

Biological evidence linked Madden to the murder of Kami. Autopsy results reveal the cause of death as blunt force trauma and asphyxia.

Investigators have determined there is no biological connection between Madden and Ring. The grandparents, who also reside at the Waibel Road residence and are not biologically related to Ring, and are the parents of Madden.

A motive for the murder remains unclear at this time. The investigation continues…

Elena Russo
Office of Media Communications
(410) 653-4236

http://www.mdsp.org/News/PressReleases/tabid/359/ctl/Detail/mid/1088/xmid/21823/xmfid/4/Default.aspx

RIP. if there is any foul play I hope they find exactly who!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP. if there is any foul play I hope they find exactly who!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the "uncle" who raped and killed her. My daughter has known him for years and is in disbelief that he could do something so horrible. It gave me the creeps seeing the nazi sign on his FB, where my daughter had written to him hoping Kami was found safe. Her vigil was attended by hundreds of people...so sad.

During a search of Madden's bedroom in that residence, investigators confiscated a “multicolored glass smoking device” containing suspect burnt marijuana residue, as well as a “handmade, silver aluminum smoking device” containing suspect burnt cocaine residue, court records show.

“Richard Madden, Jr., stated to troopers the two smoking devices were his and that he would take that charge,” according to court records, which also indicate, “Richard Madden, Jr., is currently on parole and stated he would fail a urine test for drugs.”

Madden is charged with possession of cocaine, possessio
n of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia relating to cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia related to marijuana, court records show.

During his bond review hearing on Wednesday in that minor case, Madden told the judge that he had been released from incarceration on Oct. 19, about eight months ago, after serving an unspecified sentence for a theft conviction, prosecutors said.

Madden also told the judge that he either currently worked at Denny's restaurant in Perryville or that the restaurant had been his last employer, prosecutors added.

Court records indicate that Madden has had numerous brushes with the law, dating back as far as 2004, including receiving a 60-day sentence in October 2009 on a Cecil County theft conviction relating to a criminal case in which the most serious charge against him had been robbery.

In addition, court records show that prosecutors dropped two counts of contributing to the condition of a child in October 2004 and then, in June 2005, they dismissed a second-degree assault charge against him.

Kami Ring loved music – listening to it and particularly making it with her sweet voice.

“She loved to sing, especially Taylor Swift songs. She was always singing,” recalled Brittany Dotson, who interacted with the 10-year-old Charlestown girl almost every day since September as a counselor at the Boys & Girls Club.
Kami, who just completed fourth grade at Charlestown Elementary School last week, would remain at that school until about 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and take part in the Boys & Girls Club program there with her half-brother, Joe, a third-grader, and half-sister, Lizzy, a second-grader, according to Dotson.

“She was such a loving, caring little girl. We never had a problem with her — ever,” Dotson said. “The only time she would ever get upset was when she was sticking up for her brother and sister.”

snipped

Elena Russo, MSP spokeswoman, confirmed that the window in the room Ring was believed to be staying in was found open by investigators.
“The window itself was open about 7 inches and the screen was popped out,” she said.
The investigation also involved police interviews with family members, including Kami's biological mother, who, according to relatives, lives in Cecil County and is married to the father of Kami's two younger siblings, Joe and Lizzy. Kami's biological father lives in California, those relatives said.

snipped

“Oh, God, please don't let it be her,” said Kami's aunt, Kellie Thomas, dropping to her knees in the parking lot of the North East barrack, where she and other relatives, including Kami's step-father, had come seeking more information.
Thomas, who lives near Port Deposit, said between tears, “She's such a good girl.”

Kami's mother had been there earlier, Thomas said, but had gone to the Waibel Road scene. The man identified as Kami's stepfather was also present at the barrack for a meeting with officials.

According to family members, the situation in which Kami considered the couple on Waibel Road to be her grandparents hinged on a mistaken belief that their son was her father. That man lives in Oregon, family members said.

More at the link

http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_6dbd5020-d30c-11e2-93b7-0019bb2963f4.html

WHO believed this guy was Kami's father? Kami or the "grandparents?"
Why didn't somebody prove them wrong if it wasn't true?
That doesn't make any sense. :banghead:

Actually, I was thinking this meant that Kami's mother thought that (at one time). Who knows really:blushing:

As Blue Noser says, "who really knows." However, The Cheese posted an article (BBM above) that leads me to believe that the man once believed to be Kami's father is the son of the "grandmother". That son (who lives in Oregon) turned out not to be her father. The real father lives in California. Since Madden is believed to be the "grandmother's" son, too, at most they are brothers, possibly half-brothers. But none of them are biologically related to Kami.

I can only imagine that a bond was formed between Kami and the "grandparents" before they knew of the real father's identity. And, I hope that they loved her and made her feel safe as best they could.

Rest in peace, sweet angel.

During a search of Madden's bedroom in that residence, investigators confiscated a “multicolored glass smoking device” containing suspect burnt marijuana residue, as well as a “handmade, silver aluminum smoking device” containing suspect burnt cocaine residue, court records show.

“Richard Madden, Jr., stated to troopers the two smoking devices were his and that he would take that charge,” according to court records, which also indicate, “Richard Madden, Jr., is currently on parole and stated he would fail a urine test for drugs.”

Madden is charged with possession of cocaine, possessio
n of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia relating to cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia related to marijuana, court records show.

During his bond review hearing on Wednesday in that minor case, Madden told the judge that he had been released from incarceration on Oct. 19, about eight months ago, after serving an unspecified sentence for a theft conviction, prosecutors said.

Madden also told the judge that he either currently worked at Denny's restaurant in Perryville or that the restaurant had been his last employer, prosecutors added.

Court records indicate that Madden has had numerous brushes with the law, dating back as far as 2004, including receiving a 60-day sentence in October 2009 on a Cecil County theft conviction relating to a criminal case in which the most serious charge against him had been robbery.

In addition, court records show that prosecutors dropped two counts of contributing to the condition of a child in October 2004 and then, in June 2005, they dismissed a second-degree assault charge against him.

What in the world is "Contributing to the Condition of a Child"? Anyone?

What in the world is "Contributing to the Condition of a Child"? Anyone?

I looked it up and found this:

It is a misdemeanor that carries penalties of up to 3y in prison and a $2,500.00 fine. The state must prove that an "adult, willfully contributed to, encouraged, caused, or tended to cause [an act/an omission/a condition] which rendered a child, [in violation of _____/ delinquent or in need of supervision." In other words, if an adult has a child help him or her distribute illegal drugs, then the adult is also guilty of this charge, because the adult caused the child to break the narcotics laws.

I am glad Kami was found quickly and an arrest made as fast as it was. I feel so bad for Kami an what she went though in her last few moments of life .

I am abit upset at the not sure of a motive statement. I just cannot believe someone made those commits. RM is a sexual preditor with a drug problem. Motive and unfortunity the drug use is a migrating factor.

* Warning - graphic *

Investigators found “evidence of a sexual assault” on the partially nude body of 10-year-old Kami Ring, including what they believed to be semen, and forensic testing has linked it to the Port Deposit-area man charged with her murder and rape, according to court records made public Friday.

That and other details of the case were released after the scheduled bond review for 28-year-old Richard Eugene Madden, Jr., whom Maryland State Police investigators charged on Thursday night – three days after Kami was reported missing from Madden's residence in the 100 block of Waibel Road. Kami had been staying with Walter and Cynthia Clark, whom she believed to be her grandparents, court records show.

Madden has been identified as Walter Clark's stepson in court records and, earlier this week, police reported that Kami considered Madden to be her uncle, police reported.

“Ring is a friend of the daughter of the family,” according to court records, which don't provide further details.

Court records indicate that it was Madden who reported Kami missing about 11 a.m on Monday. She reportedly was last seen alive about 10 p.m on Sunday, when she was believed to have gone to sleep in her bedroom inside that residence.

snipped

“She was facedown, wearing a tank top. A shoestring was found between her legs. The victim had a cutting injury to the neck and apparent ligature marks,” according to court records, which also indicate that apparent semen was found on the girl.

snipped

“According to the results, there was a distinct biological physical evidence present on the body of the victim. All of the evidence collected is a direct match to the subject, Richard Eugene Madden,” court records show.

snipped

* Investigators observed scratch marks on Madden's chest, and he could not explain how they got there.

* Inside the Waibel Road residence, Walter Clark noticed Madden doing his laundry about 7 a.m. on Monday – some four hours before Madden reported Kami missing – and he found that to be “completely out of character for (Madden).” Court records also indicate that Clark observed that Madden “was not acting himself and seemed troubled.”

* Investigators confiscated Madden's gray tennis shoes, which lacked shoestrings. “Clark also stated that normally, all of Madden's shoes have shoestrings in them,” court records show.

* Investigators recovered fingernail clippings from a sink drain in the Waibel Road residence and, during police interviews, noticed that the “suspect's nails appeared to have been clipped recently,” according to court records.

*Investigators also recovered pubic hairs from a bathroom trashcan in that residence.

* When a neighbor suggested that police searchers should try the field, where Kami's body ultimately was discovered, Madden “grabbed her by the arm” and then tried to redirect her attention “in the opposite direction,” court records show. Madden left the area during the search of that field.

Medical examiners who performed an autopsy on the girl concluded that a “combination of asphyxia, cutting wounds and blunt force trauma” caused Kami's death, according to court records.

Madden, who is charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, first-degree rape and first-degree assault, refused to participate in his bail review hearing on Friday morning, prompting Cecil County District Court Administrative Judge to keep him incarcerated without bond.

snipped

Outside the courtroom, Rollins said he would be researching Maryland's death penalty law to determine if it would apply in the murder case against Madden.

http://www.cecildaily.com/news/state_news/article_976e7526-d50e-11e2-ae57-001a4bcf887a.html

"Outside the courtroom, Rollins said he would be researching Maryland's death penalty law to determine if it would apply in the murder case against Madden."
:clap:

At least they caught him quickly, though I can't imagine how horrible the "grandparents" feel. It doesn't sound like they're defending him, so it's possible they didn't know of these past charges that were dropped?

ETA Someone cleaned up his fb page

facebook page has been wiped. glad I had a chance to check it out before the purge.

So sad when such a young life with so much promise is lost, and a terrible way to lose that life.

Great work by LE. The perp might as well have been wearing a sign on his chest saying "Me! Me!" Upon reflection, he was wearing a sign there, the scratches tht Kami put on his chest.

I'm confused about her family, there are too many different last names for me to be able to keep straight. One J.G. mentioned in the obituary as "her father" .. but J. G. lives in Oregon. Her bio father lives in CA (a few posts before this).

Well, in the end, Kami is with her Heavenly Father now, and is safe from all harm. What a precious life has left us. It is true .. we are diminished by the death of another. I pray that all those who loved Kami find strength to help them through the days to come.

Some times (actually, most times) reading at WS, I feel so miserable about the horrors we read about. I wonder why in the world I keep coming back for more.

* Warning - graphic *

Investigators found “evidence of a sexual assault” on the partially nude body of 10-year-old Kami Ring, including what they believed to be semen, and forensic testing has linked it to the Port Deposit-area man charged with her murder and rape, according to court records made public Friday.

That and other details of the case were released after the scheduled bond review for 28-year-old Richard Eugene Madden, Jr., whom Maryland State Police investigators charged on Thursday night – three days after Kami was reported missing from Madden's residence in the 100 block of Waibel Road. Kami had been staying with Walter and Cynthia Clark, whom she believed to be her grandparents, court records show.

Madden has been identified as Walter Clark's stepson in court records and, earlier this week, police reported that Kami considered Madden to be her uncle, police reported.

“Ring is a friend of the daughter of the family,” according to court records, which don't provide further details.

Court records indicate that it was Madden who reported Kami missing about 11 a.m on Monday. She reportedly was last seen alive about 10 p.m on Sunday, when she was believed to have gone to sleep in her bedroom inside that residence.

snipped

“She was facedown, wearing a tank top. A shoestring was found between her legs. The victim had a cutting injury to the neck and apparent ligature marks,” according to court records, which also indicate that apparent semen was found on the girl.

snipped

“According to the results, there was a distinct biological physical evidence present on the body of the victim. All of the evidence collected is a direct match to the subject, Richard Eugene Madden,” court records show.

snipped

* Investigators observed scratch marks on Madden's chest, and he could not explain how they got there.

* Inside the Waibel Road residence, Walter Clark noticed Madden doing his laundry about 7 a.m. on Monday – some four hours before Madden reported Kami missing – and he found that to be “completely out of character for (Madden).” Court records also indicate that Clark observed that Madden “was not acting himself and seemed troubled.”

* Investigators confiscated Madden's gray tennis shoes, which lacked shoestrings. “Clark also stated that normally, all of Madden's shoes have shoestrings in them,” court records show.

* Investigators recovered fingernail clippings from a sink drain in the Waibel Road residence and, during police interviews, noticed that the “suspect's nails appeared to have been clipped recently,” according to court records.

*Investigators also recovered pubic hairs from a bathroom trashcan in that residence.

* When a neighbor suggested that police searchers should try the field, where Kami's body ultimately was discovered, Madden “grabbed her by the arm” and then tried to redirect her attention “in the opposite direction,” court records show. Madden left the area during the search of that field.

Medical examiners who performed an autopsy on the girl concluded that a “combination of asphyxia, cutting wounds and blunt force trauma” caused Kami's death, according to court records.

Madden, who is charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, first-degree rape and first-degree assault, refused to participate in his bail review hearing on Friday morning, prompting Cecil County District Court Administrative Judge to keep him incarcerated without bond.

snipped

Outside the courtroom, Rollins said he would be researching Maryland's death penalty law to determine if it would apply in the murder case against Madden.

http://www.cecildaily.com/news/state_news/article_976e7526-d50e-11e2-ae57-001a4bcf887a.html

Omg-I'm thinking this shaved his pubes and clipped his nails before the assault?!

RIP sweet baby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back