Me to Sharpton: You're FIRED!

I have no problem with Mitt Romney's faith, or his ability to lead the country. I only wish he had not reversed his views on abortion rights for women. I really would like to have a moderate Republican in office that doesn't bow down to the religious zealots on the far right.

BarnGoddess, I just want to say me too! Sadly, I don't think it would ever happen. I guess me and the Mr. will just have to keep canceling each others votes until then.

Anngelique, I know y'all are good people.:blowkiss:

Mr. Sharpton, :slap: :furious: :slap: .

Can anyone tell me with a straight face, that the good Rev. Sharpton is not a racist?:confused:

Unless the Mormons have recently been turned into a separate race, I don't know why you conclude that.

Sharpton said a very stupid thing and is rightly getting heat for it. (But if we're honest, most Christians don't consider Christians of other sects "true believers." That doesn't make it okay for Sharpton to say so publicly (especially with regards to Mormons because there is a relatively recent context of persecution against that sect), but let's don't pretend his belief is unique.)

The fact that he has made a career of protesting discrimination against African-Americans doesn't make him racist. What is this special standard to which so many people here want to hold Sharpton and other African-American activists?

Is Michael J. Fox a "hypocrite" because he spends most of his time working for a Parkinson's cure, but doesn't spend the same time agitating for a cure for heart disease?

Al Sharpton really isn't needed to cry out against black people who commit violence or use crude language or stupidly make a comment that seems critical of Mormons. There's plenty of folks already doing that.

Al Sharpton really isn't needed to cry out against black people who commit violence or use crude language or stupidly make a comment that seems critical of Mormons. There's plenty of folks already doing that.

He really isn't needed at all, in my estimation.

He really isn't needed at all, in my estimation.

I can certainly understand and appreciate the feeling, Paladin.

But judging from the countless posts of late (not yours) claiming that racial discrimination is a thing of the past, Sharpton and his like are very much needed, indeed.

In fact, I'll propose this litmus test. When Sharpton is no longer needed, his complaints will be met merely with the scratching of heads and a chorus of "Huh?"

In the meantime, I'll agree Sharpton lacks charm (and judgment, at times, as in his comment on Romney). But then, charm really isn't in the activist's job description.

I can certainly understand and appreciate the feeling, Paladin.

But judging from the countless posts of late (not yours) claiming that racial discrimination is a thing of the past, Sharpton and his like are very much needed, indeed.

In fact, I'll propose this litmus test. When Sharpton is no longer needed, his complaints will be met merely with the scratching of heads and a chorus of "Huh?"

In the meantime, I'll agree Sharpton lacks charm (and judgment, at times, as in his comment on Romney). But then, charm really isn't in the activist's job description.

Well, I agree that people touting racial equality are very much needed, but not people who take it to an extreme like Al Sharpton.

I guess I'd like to make an amendment to my previous statement...that he isn't needed at all. I think he's doing a disservice to his fellow African-Americans by all the mud he is slinging these days, especially when he is seemingly hypocritical in his dealings.

Look at someone like MLK. I don't recall him ever putting his foot in his mouth. I'm of the opinion that MLK didn't see race or color...but I get the feeling that Al Sharpton, even though he claims he is fighting for civil rights and equality for blacks, definitely sees things in terms of black and white. I almost think the man likes to complain, so him being part of the problem instead of being part of the solution only benefits him.

Unless the Mormons have recently been turned into a separate race, I don't know why you conclude that.

Sharpton said a very stupid thing and is rightly getting heat for it. (But if we're honest, most Christians don't consider Christians of other sects "true believers." That doesn't make it okay for Sharpton to say so publicly (especially with regards to Mormons because there is a relatively recent context of persecution against that sect), but let's don't pretend his belief is unique.)

The fact that he has made a career of protesting discrimination against African-Americans doesn't make him racist. What is this special standard to which so many people here want to hold Sharpton and other African-American activists?

Is Michael J. Fox a "hypocrite" because he spends most of his time working for a Parkinson's cure, but doesn't spend the same time agitating for a cure for heart disease?

I didn't mean that Mormons are of a separate race. However, I dislike Al Sharpton because of his actions. Not everything that happens to blacks is the fault of white people. I didn't make blacks slaves, and I am sorry it happened. But, I am tired of being blamed because I am white for what my forefathers may or may not have done.

If I were to get up and act like Al Sharpton because of the reverse racism that goes on, I'd be hung in the town square. But, where I live racism is alive in well. And it isn't the whites being racist to the blacks, it's just the opposite. Blacks can call white people whatever they want without fear, but if a white person voices their opinion, it is racism. And frankly, I'm tired of it. We all have to live in this world, why can't we all get along? We are all of the human race.

And I certainly have never seen Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson apologize for the actions regarding the Duke Rape case, have you? And we won't either. They are above apologizing.

As for Sharpton getting heat for what he said, I don't think so. At least nothing compare to what Imus got. At least Imus apologized and admitted he was wrong.....Unlike the good "Rev."

The Rev. needs to brush up on the Ten Commandments.
He' ll be going to Utah (or did that happen already?), so I hope something good comes out of his visit.

If I were to get up and act like Al Sharpton because of the reverse racism that goes on, I'd be hung in the town square. But, where I live racism is alive in well. And it isn't the whites being racist to the blacks, it's just the opposite. Blacks can call white people whatever they want without fear, but if a white person voices their opinion, it is racism. And frankly, I'm tired of it. We all have to live in this world, why can't we all get along? We are all of the human race.

So you're saying the only racism remaining in Arkansas is that of blacks toward whites? This may be why Rev. Sharpton believes there is still work to be done.

Well, I agree that people touting racial equality are very much needed, but not people who take it to an extreme like Al Sharpton.

I guess I'd like to make an amendment to my previous statement...that he isn't needed at all. I think he's doing a disservice to his fellow African-Americans by all the mud he is slinging these days, especially when he is seemingly hypocritical in his dealings.

Look at someone like MLK. I don't recall him ever putting his foot in his mouth. I'm of the opinion that MLK didn't see race or color...but I get the feeling that Al Sharpton, even though he claims he is fighting for civil rights and equality for blacks, definitely sees things in terms of black and white. I almost think the man likes to complain, so him being part of the problem instead of being part of the solution only benefits him.

Alas, the Rev. King's life was cut short, so we'll never know what he might have said over time. But I agree that the memory most of us have of him is as very much a class act.

And I do appreciate that Sharpton can be annoying. But there's the old "squeaky wheel" theory of activism, holding that "annoying" is the only way to get results. While I think the firing of Imus was an overreaction by his bosses, there's no question but that Sharpton & Co. got results there.

While I think the firing of Imus was an overreaction by his bosses, there's no question but that Sharpton & Co. got results there.

Yes, but the results are fruitless in my opinion. His firing didn't accomplish anything in terms of racial understanding and equality. It was a tiny band-aid on a large gaping wound.

Yes, but the results are fruitless in my opinion. His firing didn't accomplish anything in terms of racial understanding and equality. It was a tiny band-aid on a large gaping wound.

You got me, Paladin. I have to agree with you there. :)

Wow, that doesn't happen often. I shall cherish this moment!!! j/k

Probably more often than you might think. We just stumbled upon a subject where we differ on some of the nuances. :truce:

So you're saying the only racism remaining in Arkansas is that of blacks toward whites? This may be why Rev. Sharpton believes there is still work to be done.

Not at all. I am saying where I live in AR, it is like that. I live in a town that is about 80% black, 15% white, and 5% other. If the good "Rev" believes work needs to be done, he needs to clean up his own yard first, if you know what I mean. :doh:

Paladin, you are so right!!!!!!!

Not at all. I am saying where I live in AR, it is like that. I live in a town that is about 80% black, 15% white, and 5% other. If the good "Rev" believes work needs to be done, he needs to clean up his own yard first, if you know what I mean. :doh:

I see. So until all black people are perfect, no black person may complain about discrimination. I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic.

But some would say your assertion that your town in Arkansas is the "yard" of a New York City minister--simply because he and the majority of your neighbors share a certain skin color--is an unfortunate example of thinking of people only in terms of the "group" to which you assign them.

NEW YORK - In a debate televised Friday night, Don Imus’ former producer called the Rev. Al Sharpton a race-baiter who was looking for attention when he led a campaign to fire the radio host. Sharpton said Imus and his producer got what they deserved for making a racist, sexist remark on the air.
Bernard McGuirk and Sharpton appeared together for a combative debate on Fox News Channel’s “Hannity & Colmes” show. McGuirk was fired last month for his part in an exchange on the “Imus in the Morning” program in which Imus called the members of the Rutgers University women’s basketball team “nappy-headed hos.”
McGuirk, a 20-year producer and on-air jester for the show that originated on WFAN-AM in New York, called the team “hardcore hos” in the April 4 exchange with Imus. Sharpton held protests and lobbied both networks to fire Imus.
MSNBC took Imus’ show off the air April 11 and CBS fired him from his syndicated radio program a day later.
McGuirk called Sharpton a “crude ... opportunist, a race-baiter” who campaigned against Imus to help his own career and raise his profile.
While McGuirk acknowledged that “these words did hurt these girls,” he added, “until you, Reverend Al, got involved, they probably never would have heard of it. They would have probably never, quote unquote, got scarred for life until you got involved for your own self-serving interests.”
(more at link)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18644760/

I didn't mean that Mormons are of a separate race. However, I dislike Al Sharpton because of his actions. Not everything that happens to blacks is the fault of white people. I didn't make blacks slaves, and I am sorry it happened. But, I am tired of being blamed because I am white for what my forefathers may or may not have done.

And I certainly have never seen Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson apologize for the actions regarding the Duke Rape case, have you? And we won't either. They are above apologizing.

As for Sharpton getting heat for what he said, I don't think so. At least nothing compare to what Imus got. At least Imus apologized and admitted he was wrong.....Unlike the good "Rev."

Alot of people don't agree with you, but I do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back