Me to Sharpton: You're FIRED!

I think "barbarian" is a bit strong of a word when civility is absent. That would make half of the world's population barbarians. ;)

I don't mind....Conan was a barbarian! :D ;)

I don't get too twisted like some mods do about arguing with each other, much of it (at least on my part) is very much tongue in cheek.

Cal

I don't get too twisted like some mods do about arguing with each other, much of it (at least on my part) is very much tongue in cheek.

Or foot in mouth. Hehe j/k, sorry, couldn't resist. :crazy:

What I took issue with was the manner in which Nova called me a racist because I debated the fact that sharpton and jackson are the appropriate people to debate racism in this country. Likewise, I took offense at being called a racist because I pointed out that the hatred jackson/sharpton spew is the exact same filth the KKK spews about blacks.

Cal

What post are you talking about, Cal? (It is customary to quote when referring to a previous post.)

I don't fling the word "racist" casually. Because in the broadest sense of the word, everyone (including I) has a racist thought now and then. And the narrower sense of the word should be saved for the few, or else it loses its meaning.

I guess so. I thought Nova was gay, and then saw a post saying "I got just a taste of the reality for blacks while dating an African American woman."

So I thought Nova, as a result of that post, was a she. I didn't take into account at all that "he" could have been dating women previously.

Anyway, you're right. Sorry for the temporary derail.

Sorry, Paladin and Eve. I never meant to be cryptic. I am male and gay, but like most gay men, I dated women when I was young.

My partner was married before I met him and had two kids, so I have two step-children and three grands.

And as for closing your thread, Paladin, I hope that doesn't happen. Obviously, it's a subject on which many, many people have thoughts and feelings. If the worst that happens are Cal's insults to me, I can bear it. :D

What post are you talking about, Cal? (It is customary to quote when referring to a previous post.)

I don't fling the word "racist" casually. Because in the broadest sense of the word, everyone (including I) has a racist thought now and then. And the narrower sense of the word should be saved for the few, or else it loses its meaning.

Nova is right....where's that choking on my own vomit emoticon?!? :D My apologies for the mistake, I cleaned up my posts to be less barbarianistic.

He (it is confirmed) never said I was racist. It was IMPLIED as I undestood the post when you said it "put the entire post in perspective". Or at least that's how I took it.

Cal

Nova is right....where's that choking on my own vomit emoticon?!? :D My apologies for the mistake, I cleaned up my posts to be less barbarianistic.

He (it is confirmed) never said I was racist. It was IMPLIED as I undestood the post when you said it "put the entire post in perspective". Or at least that's how I took it.

Cal

Cal, IIRC, I meant the over-dramatic comparison between black activists and the KKK cast a shadow over your post. I was referring to what was - in my view, of course - your overwrought style of argument.

The tactics of any activist may be questioned; doing so doesn't define one as the enemy of their cause.

Cal, IIRC, I meant the over-dramatic comparison between black activists and the KKK cast a shadow over your post. I was referring to what was - in my view, of course - your overwrought style of argument.

The tactics of any activist may be questioned; doing so doesn't define one as the enemy of their cause.

Fair enough, bad interpretation on my part! ;)

Cal

Fair enough, bad interpretation on my part! ;)

Cal

No problem. For what it's worth, I'm hardly a "knee-jerk" anything nor an automatic apologist for Sharpton or Jackson.

But as the old saying goes: you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. That doesn't mean we can't point out the "broken eggs" of Sharpton and Jackson (and even question whether they do more harm than good); but I also think we should remember the importance of their cause.

No problem. For what it's worth, I'm hardly a "knee-jerk" anything nor an automatic apologist for Sharpton or Jackson.

But as the old saying goes: you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. That doesn't mean we can't point out the "broken eggs" of Sharpton and Jackson (and even question whether they do more harm than good); but I also think we should remember the importance of their cause.

Well, for what it is worth, I am not a heartless *advertiser censored*.....ahhh, who am I kidding? :D

Actually, their cause is not one that I agree with. Ending racism, yes. Reparations for slaves, sure show me one slave and we should compensate them. Equality, sure.

There are unfortunately few black leaders out there that haven't bought into the typcial sharpton/jackson mold....get the rev in front of your name and show up anytime something racial happens, declare yourself a leader, and then start raping your own people.

Jackson declared the Duke players guilty before the benefit of a trial, yet *advertiser censored* about prejudice towards blacks in the CJ system. He shakes down Nascar because of a lack of drivers until they pay him off....suddenly the issue is gone yet there are no black drivers in NASCAR still.

Sharpon is sharpton. He's a .

I am telling you right now that if you had an EASY button that would end racism forever across the board and across all avenues and handed it to jackson/sharpton, THEY WOULDN'T PUSH IT.

Ah well, alls well that ends well.

Cal

There are unfortunately few black leaders out there that haven't bought into the typcial sharpton/jackson mold....get the rev in front of your name and show up anytime something racial happens, declare yourself a leader, and then start raping your own people.

There you go again. There are all sorts of black leaders. And none of them can "show up" every time something "racial" happens. It simply isn't possible.

I agree the NASCAR protest seems silly.

But I also know it's a lot easier to blame the messenger than to end racial discrimination. We should be careful not to fall into that trap.

As for the Duke case, Sharpton and most of the media fell into the trap of taking Nifong's media releases at face value. But the fact of that case is that the three, falsely accused young men were able to hire lawyers and get the phony charges dropped, at least eventually. Compared to the many innocent minority defendants who cannot afford competent representation and who are hustled off to jail or worse, the Duke case is yet another story of white privilege (at least relatively speaking). And no, this is not to say it is "OK" that they were falsely accused or that their parents (presumably) had to shell out money for defense.

I didn't follow the OJ case closely...does anyone know of any comments Sharpton/Jackson made while this huge mess was going on?

I didn't follow the OJ case closely...does anyone know of any comments Sharpton/Jackson made while this huge mess was going on?

I couldn't find much by googling, as it's been a long time, but after the OJ trial Jesse Jackson said this:

"OJ can be a big force, in my judjment, in taking the lead against domestic violence" :eek:

http://www.fumento.com/racism.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back