MI MI - Brittney Beers, 6, Sturgis, 16 Sept 1997

I don't think anyone here would think you are nuts with all your thoughts and concerns. if I were you, and all the neighbors think this couple is strange about all the noise and so on, I would wait until they leave for work, then simply go over to the house and snoop around behind the house and if possible look into a few windows, if something is going on over there then it is your neighbor hood and you don't want something sinister going on, so I would just talk to a few neighbors and let them know that you are at the end of your rope and just have to find out what all this is. it might simply be nothing, but it also might help find out if this little girl is still alive or not. I would just simply be a snoop myself...

While the behavior of the parents could be one of being overly protective since a relative's child went missing, it worries me more they didn't allow the child to play with another girl. To not be allowed to plant flowers at a stranger's house doesn't strike me as particularly odd tho. I am not sure if we had a family member missing that I would be so keen on that idea either. Had it been me, I would have bought her a flat of flowers, a pail, a shovel, and given it to the mother for her since she seemed to enjoy it tho. Their daughter would be in her teens now, right? Surely, you see her come and go from time to time. Perhaps you could strike up a conversation with her by asking if she still enjoys planting flowers!

As far as the air compressor goes...there could be many normal reasons to have one and none of which include keeping someone alive for years...unless it is connected to a device particularly for someone who is ill.

I do think around here we tend to jump to the worst conclusions first because of the things we read here everyday and know can happen. In a way, it isn't a bad thing because it means we are being alert and it could be like the situation with Shawn and the people who thought he did resemble the missing boy...yet failed to act for so long. Your other neighbors' "gut" feelings along with your own probably need to be met with at least an inquiry into what is happening in the home. (Keep in mind...there is such a thing as "mob mentality" when people begin to talk in rumors taking the suspicion level too far.)

Another way to find information about them is to ask your postman if he/she has had any inkling of odd behavior. Remember they are in the neighborhood daily and see any or all changes which take place. (The postman may know exactly why the air compressor is there because he/she could be delivering parts for it or mail concerning the device.)

If it were me tho, I would have a neighborhood block party and invite them personally to give them a chance to interact. They could be very nice people who are woefully misunderstood.

Who is the missing girl? What were the circumstances of her turning up mising? Was it a kidnapping or did she just vanish without a trace? Was her family investigated at all?

Very good questions! It happened ten years ago, but there should be some coverage of it. I would like to know, too.

Stamp, I hope your trip went well. I'm very interested in this thread. Alot of interesting clues and circumstances going on that would make me question my neighbors also. Especially since they had a missing 6 yr old relative that hasn't been found. Are you sure they never had any resolution concerning the little girl in all this time?

There could have been and it just wasn't publicized. The family could have some answers or at least some type of truth as to what may have happened but since no one was prosecuted the public hasn't been kept informed.

What was her name, and her thread here at websleuths? Thanks so much in advance. I do appreciate your being aware and alert and bringing this here. Even if it turns out to be nothing, you still should have re-acted, as you had confirmation and affirmation from other neighbors too, including our husband. So you weren't the only one acting on suspicions and needing some answers. At least, something is not normal about an air compressor running constantly. These motors do run differently as you have pointed out.

I would do as an earlier poster suggested, go check myself when I knew they were gone. I also would try to get to know the wife just a insy bitsy more, I think you will get some peace of mind there, or some answers, or possibly have more questions. If you leave those encounters with more questions, then your probably on the right path of thinking. Local Law enforcement should be able to help you out concerning the latest updates and information concerning the six yr old. You aren't butting in, it's public information, by the way. Chase away the thoughts of your being nosy.

You have a right to inquire of law enforcement, they put this stuff out publically to use the public to get tips to solve cases. I just wouldn't accuse them, or cross the line, you do need more facts than you have right now before assuming there's more to this. Keep it here, for this is a safe haven to discuss it, and the neighbors won't be harmed in anyway. Because they are innocent so far.

Contacting law enforcement, the missing networks, mail man, electric company and your own personal observations are within the correct legal boundaries and shouldn't put them in any bad light.

Keep us updated, and I want to read the background details concerning her disappearance, so we need her name, or something to go on.

Take care, glad to hear your with your mom during her time of need, hope you enjoyed the time together, and can't wait to see you back here.

Sheila

I don't think anyone here would think you are nuts with all your thoughts and concerns. if I were you, and all the neighbors think this couple is strange about all the noise and so on, I would wait until they leave for work, then simply go over to the house and snoop around behind the house and if possible look into a few windows, if something is going on over there then it is your neighbor hood and you don't want something sinister going on, so I would just talk to a few neighbors and let them know that you are at the end of your rope and just have to find out what all this is. it might simply be nothing, but it also might help find out if this little girl is still alive or not. I would just simply be a snoop myself...

I was wondering if anyone else would suggest this!

I would have an excuse ready in case they catch you snooping. Something like looking for a lost kitty who has a habit of sneaking in to basements or attics, haven't seen kitty in two days and you are worried she might have gotten shut inside and can't get out or crawled inside to have kittens etc.

Make sure to have a lookout in case something goes wrong so you don't end up dead or anything. Any possibility they have a survellience system? They are very common nowadays and affordable, even in private homes.

Needless to say, I'm not suggesting this is the safest thing to do, but snooping could be much more productive than just reporting it since official agencies have to walk such a thin line when it comes to probable cause to look around. We all know that tips like yours may or may not be investigated thoroughly, depending upon many factors.

You might also be able to go back and see what info you have from the sale of the house that could be used to search for arrest records or other court documents, personal webpages etc. there are other posters here at WS who can find all sorts of helpful stuff, including finding out if someone is using the internet to exploit a child.

Thanks for caring about those who can't protect themselves!

Susan

Stamp? Do you have any further updates? Have you found any articles about the little girl? Perhaps if you give us a name to work with...we can find some. We are very handy with research around here! It would help to understand the circumstances of her disappearance.

Even if those people have nothing to do with her case, she should be listed here and other places in hopes of bringing in leads or being found someday.

Since Stampit3d mentioned that this child did have a thread here and other posters were asking who the child was, I was wondering if it was OK to post it? Or, would it be better to PM it to anyone who was interested? My curiosity got the best of me and I had to figure it out. Let me know what everyone thinks.

After looking on a couple sites, I think I know who it is too. I think she'd probably rather not post it here in case the family reads the forum. I'd be curious to hear any updates on this!

Since Stampit3d mentioned that this child did have a thread here and other posters were asking who the child was, I was wondering if it was OK to post it? Or, would it be better to PM it to anyone who was interested? My curiosity got the best of me and I had to figure it out. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Could you PM it to me? I'd be interested to read it. Thanks!

I'd like to know, too, someone please PM it to me. Thank you.

I would like to know also. Could someone pm me the thread as well? Thank you in advance. Rhett

Is there anyway someone could message it to me as well........

Thanks!!

Could someone PM me, also? Thanks!

Add me to the PM list, please. Curiosity is getting to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back