MI MI - Jodi Parrack, 11, abducted & murdered, Constantine, 7 Nov 2007

Two things jump out at me from what little we know: the prosecutor's remark that "Children are going to help us solve this case" and the apparent coincidence of Dr. Cohle's speciality of death from sudden cardiac arrest.

I wonder if Jodi was kidnapped and died of fright or something of the sort??

Seriously. I felt like I was having a conversation from the 'Twilight Zone'. I didn't know what to say in response. I think I said ingesting Aqua Dots would be more likely.

Bwahahahaha! You are sharp!

Susan

Anybody know if the ME is a real doctor? Recent cases discussed here on WS have shown that you can't always depend on them knowing what they are doing. It could have been just a funeral director who did the autopsy.

susan

I guess a better question would be:

If it was a real doctor, was he/she intoxicated, senile, the holder of an honorary doctorate, a doctor of medicine, sympathetic to the perpatrator, sleepy, lazy, paid off or blackmailed, boogeying to the "carwash" song, or otherwise incompetent?

(I'm feeling rather punchy lately. Must be all those dead copwives whose COB hubbies walk free.)

Susan

OOPs! I see that this has been ansewred already. wooHooo...looks like this one's good!

If she was fleeing the murderer, she may have been panic and frantic, and either rode towards the cemetery to divert the culprit away from her house so he/she didn't know where she lived, or just out of panic. She could have dropped her bike and then ran, thinking maybe she could hide somewhere in the cemetery. Young children would panic under these circumstances, and not necessarily be able to think clearly in such a state of mind. If the killer was someone local or didn't want to be recognized that would be why she was murdered. A normal sex pervert would leave some kind of sex evidence. So even if it was a pervert, something had to distract him from kidnapping her or doing something disgusting.
I'm sure the LE can't release the COD, they have to have something left secret for when they interview the suspects. Some people are crazy and will confess to crimes they had nothing to do with, so the COD would be important to keep under wraps. I would think some kind of drug was used if there was no visible trauma.
Does anyone know if Jodi had a history of asthma?

Very good question. If it was a pervert he probably did not intend to assault her right there in the cemetary at such an early hour of the evening.
Maybe he intended to drug or otherwise incapacitate her and take her to a more private place to assault her but something happened...asthma attack or allergic reaction to some knockout drug as you speculate, MeoW.

I have to say, this one also sounds like it could be a fake stranger abduction. My first thought was something happened to her when she was at the friend's house or right after she got home and she was dumped with the bike in the cemetary to look like it happened there.

It is suspicious to me that she was already on the way home at 4::30-4:45 if she was not due home until 5:30.
My kids avoid coming home early at all costs...5 min. late is the norm. I'd be calling the friend's house then if I did not find her between there and home, it would take me about 5 min. to call other nearby friends then I'd be calling 911.

How far between friend's house and her home? I let mine that age go alone just down the street or around the block with a friend and a cell phone. Anywhere out of my sight-range without a buddy is not allowed.

Susan

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7352705&nav=0Rce

At the service at Trinity Missionary Church, Stauffer talked of the family's baptism about a year ago, and about a passage Jodi highlighted in her Bible. It was Christ talking to his disciples.

"He said, 'I'm not calling you to just love the lovable, or love those who love you," Pastor Stauffer said. "'But I'm calling you to love the unlovable, your enemies."

Very good question. If it was a pervert he probably did not intend to assault her right there in the cemetary at such an early hour of the evening.
Maybe he intended to drug or otherwise incapacitate her and take her to a more private place to assault her but something happened...asthma attack or allergic reaction to some knockout drug as you speculate, MeoW.

I have to say, this one also sounds like it could be a fake stranger abduction. My first thought was something happened to her when she was at the friend's house or right after she got home and she was dumped with the bike in the cemetary to look like it happened there.

It is suspicious to me that she was already on the way home at 4::30-4:45 if she was not due home until 5:30.
My kids avoid coming home early at all costs...5 min. late is the norm. I'd be calling the friend's house then if I did not find her between there and home, it would take me about 5 min. to call other nearby friends then I'd be calling 911.

How far between friend's house and her home? I let mine that age go alone just down the street or around the block with a friend and a cell phone. Anywhere out of my sight-range without a buddy is not allowed.

Susan

The news reports I am hearing say nobody has been ruled out.

Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett says children do not normally "hang out" in the cemetery, and that passing through it would not have been a likely route of travel for Jodi.

"An extra degree of caution would be a good idea," St. Joseph County Prosecutor Doug Fisher said when asked if parents should be worried about a killer on the loose. "We are of the opinion she was abducted."
He said while there is currently no proof of sexual assault, investigators have not ruled it out.

"There was nothing to indicate she was beaten or struck in anyway. There was just no clear sign of trauma," said Constantine Police Chief Mark Honeysett.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7335158&nav=menu44_2

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Constantine,+MI,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Hopefully this link works, if not let me know. It is for the Constantine area (you may have to zoom in again) it shows where the cemetery is and opposite end of W 3rd st towards Centreville rd is where i would assume she was near. If she did stop at a store, was it a convience store? Maybe she had wanted to get candy on the way home. If the store has security cameras, i hope they got it on tape. Then we would know if anyone else was in the store around that time. That may be why she left her friends' early; if she was getting hungry before dinner time and wanted to make a quick pit stop to get a snack.

ljwf22, being such a small tight knit community, is there one main church were mainly most all attend? You had mentioned the church groups.. i was wondering if the children also following by these suspicious white/beige vans or pickup trucks; if the police checked those reports to see if they all went to the same church. If a pervert was going to church to blend in, they would also be able to get a look at all the children there while others just assumed they were enjoying God's graces. It sounds horrible, with the world we live in nowadays.. i hope they look into that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Constantine,+MI,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Hopefully this link works, if not let me know. It is for the Constantine area (you may have to zoom in again) it shows where the cemetery is and opposite end of W 3rd st towards Centreville rd is where i would assume she was near. If she did stop at a store, was it a convience store? Maybe she had wanted to get candy on the way home. If the store has security cameras, i hope they got it on tape. Then we would know if anyone else was in the store around that time. That may be why she left her friends' early; if she was getting hungry before dinner time and wanted to make a quick pit stop to get a snack.

ljwf22, being such a small tight knit community, is there one main church were mainly most all attend? You had mentioned the church groups.. i was wondering if the children also following by these suspicious white/beige vans or pickup trucks; if the police checked those reports to see if they all went to the same church. If a pervert was going to church to blend in, they would also be able to get a look at all the children there while others just assumed they were enjoying God's graces. It sounds horrible, with the world we live in nowadays.. i hope they look into that.
The church where the funeral was held was not the church she attended. There are at least 10 churches in Constantine - the one where her funeral was is probably the largest. The one she attended is quite small but growing. It is located near Nottawa, about 15 miles northeast of Constantine. It is a very close but welcoming congregation.

There was a scare at Constantine's middle school yesterday. Some parents picking up kids thought they saw a child being forced into a vehicle. It was checked out and proven to be not the case. People around here are being super vigilant.

I found this that states that Jodi had no medical problems, which would rule out asthma.

wwmt.com - November 11, 2007

Excerpt: A little girl with no medical problems, no drug problems and a clean bill of health, found dead in the cemetery with no physical evidence on her body.

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?p=9051489

According to Holly Curtis, St. Joseph County Prosecutor, the light colored van and dark Ford Ranger have been ruled out. She talked to the Nancy Grace show last night:

CURTIS: Where we were is we had announced in the initial press release that we were looking for a light-colored older van, as well as we were looking for a dark colored pick-up truck, a Ranger-type style. I think from what I`ve heard recently, we have ruled those vehicles out. We have followed up on those, and they have innocent explanations of why they`d be in the area.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/12/ng.01.html

According to Holly Curtis, St. Joseph County Prosecutor, the light colored van and dark Ford Ranger have been ruled out. She talked to the Nancy Grace show last night:

CURTIS: Where we were is we had announced in the initial press release that we were looking for a light-colored older van, as well as we were looking for a dark colored pick-up truck, a Ranger-type style. I think from what I`ve heard recently, we have ruled those vehicles out. We have followed up on those, and they have innocent explanations of why they`d be in the area.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/12/ng.01.html

Thanks for the link. The reporter they talked to from the Sturgis Journal lives in Constantine. He said the bike was borrowed from a friend. It also should be noted that US-131 goes right through the middle of Constantine and has very heavy north-south traffic.

I thought this was interesting:
BROOKS: I want to go back out to Holly Curtis joining us by phone from Constantine, Michigan. She is the St. Joseph County prosecutor. Now, on the route from her friend`s house where she was last seen and going home, along this route, the cemetery`s somewhere in between. But is there a business district that she would have to go through where there could be any cameras at some of the businesses or ATM machines?

CURTIS: Actually, in the area that she was leaving from, which would have been on Third Street, which ultimately turns into Centerville Road, where she lives, there wouldn`t have really been any businesses. The cemetery is actually located about a half mile from the home, and there is actually businesses in that area. And we have been doing what we can to try to see if there`s any video footage or security footage that we would be able to use or have access to.
"
I'm still not sure where Jodi's house is, other than Centreville Road.

I found this that states that Jodi had no medical problems, which would rule out ashma.

wwmt.com - November 11, 2007

Excerpt: A little girl with no medical problems, no drug problems and a clean bill of health, found dead in the cemetery with no physical evidence on her body.

http://boards.crimelibrary.com/showthread.php?p=9051489

If toxicology test don't reveal something else, what is left? Some kind of substance they don't usually test for?
Could she have been very gently smothered by someone she knew? How do you smother an 11 year old without any trauma from holding her down?

It's looking less like a stranger abduction to me.

Susan

:waitasec: Aren't there date rape type drugs that breakdown into compounds normally found in the body? Could it have been something like that? :confused: If so, it could still be a relative stranger, or an acquaintance.

I'm thinking if it was a stranger she would have fought ferociously and have some signs of that on her body.

Susan

I'm thinking if it was a stranger she would have fought ferociously and have some signs of that on her body.

Susan

A complete stranger, yes. But what if it was an adult she thought wasn't a "stranger". A classmate's parent, or bus driver, or the like? :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back