MI MI - Luce Co, McMillan, WhtMale 23-30, UP6754, facial fracture, Survival knife, poss limped, Oct'87

Genealogical researchers have discovered that he has roots in Germany and the Torun region of Poland He likely had great- grandparents who immigrated to the US or may have lived in the Refrew, Ontario or Sault Ste. Marie area. We need the public’s help to spread the word and upload DNA profiles to GEDmatch. Someone is missing this man!

When he was found, this John Doe was dressed in camouflage military-style clothing. Years before his death, he had a badly broken leg requiring a surgical rod. Family names of interest from his family tree are Sattleberg, Radke, Papke and Zabel.

I saw this man suggested as a match on the DNA Doe Project Facebook page. I personally see a lot of resemblance to the recreations of the Doe. There is no mention of any injuries in his past, but he matches up well otherwise and his profile is pretty sparse. He was also a member of the military, which could have been how he was injured. And though this Doe's clothes weren't military issue, this missing man may have been drawn to them because of his military experience.

I don’t think Luce County John Doe and James Rawlings is the same person. It sounds as the John Doe’s father was of German ancestry. Also I think if Rawling had a badly broken leg (John Doe probably still suffered from it) it would be mentioned in Rawling’s description, but it only says “Rawling has a scar or small birthmark on his forehead, he shows dimples when he smiles”

As a pop culture side note....

The 1980s saw an explosion of "Rambo survival knives" after the popularity of the movies where Sylvester Stallone hunts a dazzling variety of bad guys with out mercy.

Most of these Rambo knives were horribly made and featured hollow hilts crammed full of useful things purported to aid in surviving in the deep jungle- waaay behind enemy lines- well, in the imagination of 12 year old boys.

That aside, the deceased was found with a knife made by the Ontario company. Ontario made military issue knives such as Kabar fighting knives, pilot survival knives, and less sexy utility knives.

Though this person 's knife was not military issue, Ontario knives are good quality, last forever, very durable and viewed as being "the real thing" by hunters, guides, outfitters etc.

The use of a quality Ontario knife verse a low quality "Rambo knife" by the deceased could indicate that he was experienced living in the woods and perhaps had hunted, fished etc.

Last edited:
Huge update on Luce County John Doe! Hes ancestors or maybe he himself were from Germany and Poland. Surnames of Surnames of interest: Sattleberg, Radke, Papke, and Zabel.

I hope the DNA researchers factor in that the population / DNA of the German Polish border regions has been shuffled alot in the last century with border changes and population transfers.

Following WWII, almost the entire German population was transferred (ok- really expelled) to Germany proper in response to Nazi crimes in Poland to avoid a justification of another invasion by Germany.

Meanwhile, the historical Polish population in the area was supplemented by large numbers of Poles from eastern Poland fleeing the Soviet Union's occupation of eastern Poland. And.... it was supplemented again by "transferred" Ukrainians or Lemkos from further east pursuant to a bitter Polish Ukrainian dispute regarding borders and who truly belonged where.

In short, the historical DNA profile probably does not resemble the modern DNA profile much at all....

Last edited:
I hope the DNA researchers factor in that the population / DNA of the German Polish border regions has been shuffled alot in the last century with border changes and population transfers.

Following WWII, almost the entire German population was transferred (ok- really expelled) to Germany proper in response to Nazi crimes in Poland to avoid a justification of another invasion by Germany.

Meanwhile, the historical Polish population in the area was supplemented by large numbers of Poles from eastern Poland fleeing the Soviet Union's occupation of eastern Poland. And.... it was supplemented again by "transferred" Ukrainians or Lemkos from further east pursuant to a bitter Polish Ukrainians dispute regarding borders and who truly belonged where

In short, the historical DNA profile probably does not resemble the modern DNA profile much at all....
Yeah, my family is from that region and the town my mom's family are from has been (variously) Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, and the Russian Empire. But it does sound like they've been able to trace him to a specific family lineage, just several generations back.

Yeah, my family is from that region and the town my mom's family are from has been (variously) Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, and the Russian Empire. But it does sound like they've been able to trace him to a specific family lineage, just several generations back.

The Lithuania, Belarus and Russian empire references probably reflect ethnic Poles from those regions who arrived after WWII.

Belarus, Ukraine and Lithuania all had large Polish populations that the USSR saw as being uhmmm.... "problematic". Some Poles left those places on their own, and others were "encouraged" to leave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back