MI MI - Luce Co, McMillan, WhtMale 23-30, UP6754, facial fracture, Survival knife, poss limped, Oct'87

Anyone want to run with it? I'm not sure I know the best avenues for making these matches.

And totally unrelated to the thread, I have a few other matches that I'd like feedback on but am unable to start a thread and there do not appear to be any started yet.

If you can do US telephone calls, the most effective route is often to call the medical examiner for the unidentified person, who is usually listed on the first or last page of the Namus post (https://identifyus.org/cases/6754)

Another good strategy is to email or call the Namus administrators for either or both UID and missing person. In this case that would be Amy Dobbs for Harfield and Lori Bruski for the decedent. Again, those will be listed on the "contacts" page of the Namus listings.

You can also submit through Doenet, but I've never done that.

In any case, you want to just outline the reasons why you think it might be a match; in this case, especially the timeline, the broken leg, and probably the clothing.

I've never had anybody be anything but polite to me. Ignored, yes, frequently, but with this much similarity, you aren't likely to be ignored.

If they tell you he's been compared and it wasn't a match, ask them to update the decedent's information to include the ruleout.

My only reservation is that both men have DNA in the system and it ought to have been picked up automatically. But it could be mtDNA versus nucDNA.

p.s. It's a site rule that you have to have 50 posts before you can start a new thread. There are a bunch of game threads in the members-only area where you can beef up your count quickly, or I can start the threads for you if you send me the pointers.

Looks similar....wow

Thanks Carbuff

I plan to make the contacts today. I'll keep everything updated here.

I may send you a couple potentials for matches in the next few days until I meet my 50 posts.

I have sent an email to each of the Namus administrators. I have sent 2 potentials to Doe in the past. One has been in the matching process since April but it was from the 70's so I expected a significant wait on that one. The other was rejected because of nothing to match (even though his last name was found on the pocket of the UID's work shirt (so frustrating).
Here is the email. Short, simple, to the point. I will post any responses/updates.

I believe the following may be a match:

https://identifyus.org/cases/6754
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21815/2/

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/94ummi.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4792dmtn.html

The unidentified and Hatfield both have similar scarring, broken bones and rods in the leg. Their clothing matches and the missing's timeframe is within the time of death of the unidentified.

If Hatfield has been ruled out for this unidentified, can this please be updated in Namus?

Thank you for you time,
Brandi

Received the following response. Looks like until there is further to match on everything sits.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email….We are already aware of these two cases and have been working with the Investigators for months to locate additional bio-metric data in order to compare and advance the investigation. Until additional bio-metrics are located no identification/exclusion will be completed.

Thank you,
Amy Dobbs
Regional Systems Administrator (TN, KY, WV, OH, IN, IL, PA)
National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Phone:817-304-8873
E mail : Amy.Dobbs@unthsc.edu
Web: www.untfsu.com
Web: www.NamUs.gov

Any update?
I matched Hatfield with this UID this morning and was super excited, only to come here and discover I’m certainly not the first [emoji23]. But since Hatfield and the UID both have DNA on file, doesn’t that mean they are automatically not a match?

While I definitely support Hatfield for this based on the femur and cheek scar, there is one other person I think could be considered:
Robert Plewes. He is not in NAMUS.
Went missing right outside Algonquin Park in Ontario, which is fairly close to the location of the remains and means he could have migrated over time into the states toward the area where the UID was discovered or possibly been here already and was trying to return to Ontario.
The reason I was looking at him in addition to proximity was because they say he liked to wear army fatigues and this UID was found wearing them.
81bc2e49eb552bd87f88a4841bad2248.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/plewes_robert.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any update?
I matched Hatfield with this UID this morning and was super excited, only to come here and discover I’m certainly not the first [emoji23]. But since Hatfield and the UID both have DNA on file, doesn’t that mean they are automatically not a match?

While I definitely support Hatfield for this based on the femur and cheek scar, there is one other person I think could be considered:
Robert Plewes. He is not in NAMUS.
Went missing right outside Algonquin Park in Ontario, which is fairly close to the location of the remains and means he could have migrated over time into the states toward the area where the UID was discovered or possibly been here already and was trying to return to Ontario.
The reason I was looking at him in addition to proximity was because they say he liked to wear army fatigues and this UID was found wearing them.
81bc2e49eb552bd87f88a4841bad2248.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/plewes_robert.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless Google gave me the wrong McMillan township, it's not that close: 550 miles خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

2 Ruleouts for Luce County John Doe:
MP3221 - Ronald Vonderheide
MP21815 - Tommy Hatfield

And some potential matches from a search of NamUs and the Canadian missing person database:
James Rauol Lehtomaki (NamUs #MP21905) - Departed on foot from a treatment facility in Marquette County, Michigan, where he was being treated for alcohol addiction.
George Andrew Christie (Case #
2018009360) - Last seen at the intersection of Broadview Avenue and Queen Street East in Toronto, Ontario.
Theodore John Piekarz (Case #
2006020499) - Initially reported missing in 1978, but seen at a train station in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, in October of 1986.

2 Ruleouts for Luce County John Doe:
MP3221 - Ronald Vonderheide
MP21815 - Tommy Hatfield

And some potential matches from a search of NamUs and the Canadian missing person database:
James Rauol Lehtomaki (NamUs #MP21905) - Departed on foot from a treatment facility in Marquette County, Michigan, where he was being treated for alcohol addiction.
George Andrew Christie (Case #
2018009360) - Last seen at the intersection of Broadview Avenue and Queen Street East in Toronto, Ontario.
Theodore John Piekarz (Case #
2006020499) - Initially reported missing in 1978, but seen at a train station in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, in October of 1986.

No new exclusions.

1673708134969.png

Just saw a new post on this thread for David Anderson Dillon in the missing forum - MI - MI - David Anderson Dillon, 31, Ann Arbor, 17 January 1984

Some of the details possibly match up? Hair colour, height, age and same state. This John Doe had a fractured left face and a metal rod implant in his leg. On the thread for David there is a picture of him with a broken jaw and a crutch. Not sure if he has been ruled out or not?

The man’s identity was unknown to the authorities, and he was dubbed ‘Luce County John Doe’. Authorities believed that the man may have been from Canada, as his knife had the words ‘U.S Ontario’ on it. The knife was not military issue, and they believed that the man had likely bought it from a catalog at some point before he’d died.

Hanna Friedlander, a human remains analyst, works for the Intelligence Operations Division of Michigan State police. Her job as a forensic anthropologist, is to find and recover unidentified human remains — which can vary from homicide, suicide, or accidental deaths. Friedlander attempts to identify the Jane or John Does through a variety of methods — including fingerprints, dental or medical records, DNA, or investigative genetic genealogy to try and create a full profile of the unknown person.

Friedlander said the following about the decades-old John Doe case: ‘We have a saying that you can’t solve your homicide without first knowing who your victim is. The clothing is military-style clothing, but it doesn’t mean that it’s from the military. Most likely we are looking at someone who is out hunting, or in the woods doing some sort of survival skill lesson for themselves. It’s really hard to say.’

Huge update on Luce County John Doe! Hes ancestors or maybe he himself were from Germany and Poland. Surnames of interest: Sattleberg, Radke, Papke, and Zabel.

…Knapp said she's been unable to find any close relatives in DNA databases and has looked as far back as the early 1800s in Poland and Germany.

This John Doe also has very distant Colonial America relationships − ties to families in Virginia in the early 1700s. But the Doe Project said he had no close relations that could tie him to more recent ancestors.

According to the Doe Project, one branch of his family may have settled in Gage County, Nebraska.

One of the project's theories is that Doe was Canadian − his Colonial relations were British sympathizers who settled in Canada after the Revolutionary War. Or, he could have been adopted or raised by someone other than his biological father. It's also possible either he or his family came to the United States from Germany, recently or decades ago.

But how he wound up in Luce County, the home of Tahquamenon Falls and miles of streams and rivers, including Heminghway's Big Two Hearted River, is a mystery

The DNA Doe project is now urging people of Polish and German ancestry who immigrated to Michigan and Nebraska to upload their DNA to two genealogy websites: GEDmatch and Family Tree DNA. Also encouraged to do the same are people whose ancestry includes the surnames Sattleberg, Radke, Papke, and Zabel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back