GUILTY MI - Stepmom charged in rape/murder of Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger, 2, New Haven

King had just moved back in with Wolfenbarger after the two had separated, Yax said.

---------------------------------------------

King, who was wearing undergarments when emergency crews and police arrived, could not explain when she had time to get dressed, Yax said.

------------------------------------------------

Prosecution plans to call a child abuse expert
and Macomb County Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz to testify this afternoon as the final witnesses in the trial that's spanned two weeks.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ighlight-conflicting-accounts-in-murder-trial

New Haven Police Detective Sgt. Renee Yax testified Wednesday in the felony murder trial of Renee Marie King that the 30-year-old New Haven woman was upset and at times calm during the hour-long interview conducted in a patient room at Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center on Nov. 20, 2010.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ighlight-conflicting-accounts-in-murder-trial

Detective Yax apparently will finish testifying Thursday and maybe the child abuse expert.
Then there is still the state's medical examiner. :please:

I am only guessing...
I think we might have reached the point where Renee's attorney attempts to blame the police, the EMT's, the nurses or the doctors...
For the criminal sexual conduct injuries. (He isn't picking one... just saying any of them could have done it.)

Just a guess based on the very... spunky comments. (I like Lily's Mom, she reminds me of a young Diena Thompson.)

(Personally I could come up with a better defense than that. But, everyone tells me I should have been a lawyer.)

That's why I worry though about the medical examiner testimony being crucial. The timing for that charge might be a major factor.
Both the first officer and first EMT said Lily had no pulse when they arrived.
She was dead when she arrived at the hospital despite 40 minutes of trying to revive her.

They have to prove when those injuries occurred and it needs to be before Lily died and preferably an hour or more before, no gray area.
If one medical examiner says they occurred an hour before death and another says they occurred just before or after death...

Which medical examiner do you believe? :please:

The child abuse expert and the medical examiner :please: haven't finished yet. Once they do, the prosecution rests.

It appears that they have clarified before that the criminal sexual conduct injuries occurred BEFORE death.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2010/12/04/news/doc4cec2effc2e4a490085263.txt

There was also a quote from the police chief where he said it appeared she suffered those injuries "before her horrific death."
(And no, I won't be detailing them here. I can't look at that picture and quote those injuries at the same time.) :cry:

Article from today.

Yax said King never provided “one straight story” about what happened in the approximately three hours between her husband, Jeffrey Wolfenbarger, dropping off Lily at the home about 9:45 a.m. Nov. 20, 2010, from an exchange with Lily’s mother, until King dialed 911.

----------------------------------------------------------------

She told Yax and had told several people that Lily had problems with defecating in her underwear and tried to eat her feces.

Police found Lily’s underwear in the trash with feces in it.

-------------------------------------------------

She couldn’t explain how Lily suffered about 20 strikes, including the three to her head, as well as injuries to her genital area.

----------------------------------------------------

The only blood found at the scene
was on a towel on the living room floor, on the living room floor and on a tissue, she said.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2012/02/23/news/doc4f4699bf8794a683074560.txt?viewmode=3

Now, I have known plenty of kids who paint with poop. How common is it for them to eat it?
And even if she was doing that... have we ever heard of phases children go through? The child was 30 months old!

And do I even have to say... what a coincidence that Lily had a potty accident, vomited AND died all in less than 3 hours. :waitasec:
Plus there was cleaning and painting nails and all the other stuff that they did...

But really... a potty accident and then she's beaten to death? It's not like we don't see that all the time.

Thinking of Lauren too...
As she is likely hearing now about every single injury her baby girl suffered in horrific detail...

lily19.jpg

lily20.jpg

lily4q.jpg

The prosecutor said that in Cassin's one-page report, only three sentences referred to the facts in the case and that
several facts were incorrect.

------------------------------------------

Cassin admitted when questioned by Tobin that he came to court Friday knowing his report was wrong. :what:

-----------------------------------------

Cassin did not conduct an examination of the child's body, nor did he review microscopic evidence.

Testimony from defense witnesses is expected to continue Friday afternoon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-medical-examiner’s-report-on-toddler’s-death

My personal favorite...

-----------------------------------------

Tobin also questioned if Cassin based any of his findings on media reports.
The doctor said he sometimes did for "factual data."
:floorlaugh:

Media reports = factual data? Oh... that's funny. :giggle:

I thought they had a second autopsy done? $4,000 and he wrote a one page report from someone else's report? :waitasec:
Okay, I feel much better about the medical examiner situation now. :seeya:

Lily's family had hoped that the trial would be over today... no idea how close they are to that.

Closing arguments are Monday morning.

So more than 20 blows to her head (from what I understand they were all her head.)
Plus other bruises... and injuries, including internal ones severe enough they appear to be from rape...

Those ALL happened when she accidentally dropped Lily three times?
And that opinion comes from a guy who never actually SAW the injuries?

I'm TRYING to figure out a way to believe that. It's just not working for me.

I wonder what the jury is thinking now? I don't think any verdict or lack of one... would be a surprise in this case. :please:

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2012/02/24/news/doc4f481b5d3274b673398251.txt

Cassin also countered the prosecution by testifying that Lily’s vaginal injuries also could have been suffered accidentally during her two falls, one in the shower and one elsewhere in the home.

Spitz and DeGraw, however, testified that a vaginal tear and multiple interior bruises were caused by an object forced into her.

“I don’t think it’s consistent with that,”
Cassin said.

He said a fall onto an edge could have caused that injury.

“I’m suggesting any edged surface,” he said. “It would have to be configured in a way that her legs could have crossed over (straddled) it.”

---------------------------------------------------

King claims the injuries were accidental, caused by her dropping Lily twice and falling on her once due to King’s bad back.
She denied committing or noticing the alleged sexual assault.

King, who gave police three statements, declined to testify in her defense.

This should be going to a jury Monday - in about 12 hours or so after closing arguments.

Furneaux’s commitment to children is part of her ongoing effort to give Lily’s life more meaning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her efforts and her family help her in tough moments.

Furneaux’s eyes welled with tears Friday afternoon after she saw King laughing at the defense table during the playing of a video of King at a hospital for her bad back.

“It’s not a laughing matter; that’s why I was crying,”
she said.

She was consoled by her parents, Lynette and Frederick, and others. Frederick tried to turn it into a positive: “Go help some kids,” he told his daughter.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2012/02/26/news/doc4f4a9c8b7cab0988882311.txt#blogcomments

An assistant prosecutor contended Monday that a frustrated, drug-influenced Renee King repeatedly slammed her 2-year-old stepdaughter’s head against a floor in retaliation to the girl twice defecating in her underwear and having temper tantrums.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 12-person jury began deliberating shortly after noon Monday. The trial began Feb. 14.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily suffered from at least 20 blows to her head area, five of which were traumatic and could have caused her death, Tobin said.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2012/02/27/news/doc4f4bd9c61a03a461732170.txt

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2012/02/27/news/doc4f4bce89aebe0799433058.txt

That's what set this firestorm off," Macomb County Assistant Prosecutor Therese Tobin told the panel.
"Two-year-olds aren't easy. Lily paid with her life because she was acting like a 2-year-old that day."

------------------------------------------------------------------

In his criticism, Malkiewicz alluded to Spitz's failure to detect a bullet hole in the head of Community Central Bank CEO David Widlak while conducting an autopsy in October 2010.

"Couldn't he be wrong … especially this doctor when he didn't find a gunshot wound in the back of a man's head,"
he said. "I don't think he wanted to be wrong twice, in a month."

Tobin later countered that Spitz did admit he'd been wrong before.

"But with this case, these facts, these injuries…there is not an accidental mechanism that explains this,"
she said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ler-out-of-frustration--prosecutor-tells-jury

I knew the bullet hole was coming... I knew it... they shouldn't have had him to do Lily's autopsy a month later. WHAT were they thinking?!?!?

The verdict is in.... (That is no more than 3 hours of deliberation....)

MsFacetious

I read a lot of this case yesterday thanks to seeing your posts. What a darling little girl and what a strong mother she has.

May Renee King rot for the rest of her life.

Thank goodness!!!! May the monster rot in jail! Justice for LILY!!

MsFacetious

I read a lot of this case yesterday thanks to seeing your posts. What a darling little girl and what a strong mother she has.

May Renee King rot for the rest of her life.

AMEN Coldpizza!

This case is from near where I was born and grew up. That and the fact that Lily looks so much like my 18 mo daughter has me so wraped up in this case.

Lily's family is absolutely amazing, especially her mother. I can't imagine that I would have the composure and grace this poor mom has under these circumstances.

This King "woman" lost it over temper tantrums and poop! Good grief welcome to raising children idiot. That's what they do - as adults our job is to help them - not KILL them. It says alot that HER OWN CHILDREN never met this fate, but her step-daughter did. She is a MONSTER, plain and simple...

:maddening::maddening::maddening::maddening:

Justice for Lily very soon and God Bless her family!:heartbeat:

A New Haven woman was found guilty Monday of fatally beating and sexually assaulting her toddler stepdaughter in November 2010.

A jury convicted Renee Marie King, 30, of first-degree felony murder, child abuse and criminal sexual conduct in the Nov. 20, 2010, death of 2-year-old Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...1014/New-Haven-stepmom-guilty-toddler-s-death

Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you to this jury.
I can't even be excited, I'm so relieved. :please:

And THANK YOU to everyone who has commented/read the thread. I am glad that Lily wasn't forgotten here.
(Or by the 555 comments in less than 30 minutes on facebook.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back