GUILTY MI - Stepmom charged in rape/murder of Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger, 2, New Haven

02/27/2012 held: Placed on record, closing args, jury instructions, juror #429 & 287 excused by random draw, jury began deliberations at 12:10pm
returned w/verdict of guilty of counts 1, 2 & 3, jury polled unanimous

04/10/2012 08:30 am criminal sentencing

http://macombcountymi.gov/pa/

MsFacetious, I learned about this, thanks to your siggy.

Was very curious how this jury would return, I believe they came back with the correct verdict.

RIP, sweet Lily.

Hallelujah!! Ms. Facetious I know that this is a weight lifted from you of worry over would this monster somehow find a way to beat the system.. I can't thank you enough for your dedication to Lily and your taking the time to research and post the details of it finally going to trial and keeping us abreast of what was happening as it was happening..

Tho, Liliy's case was not one that had the masses awaiting with bated breath but nonetheless Lily was near and dear to some of hearts from the get-go in 2010..
She has a beautiful mother, both inside and out and Lauren has shown the utmost of poise and grace at a time when most of us wouldn't have the composure to do so.. IMO the way she chose to handle this entire tragedy is to be admired and praised.. With precious Lily's case there are no viral videos, written rantings of anger, and outrageous behaviors talked about on the front page of every social media known to man.. The way in which Lauren chose to handle this truly makes everything about Lily, the precious 30month old daughter and granddaughter that was brutally violated and beaten by a monster who was given the privilege of being this beautiful child's caretaker, step mother.. Therefor her memory is very clear and not muddied with the nonsense that we see occur so many times in the peripheral of a case.. Not here.. We are left with the beautiful life of a precious little girl who was surrounded by love and nurture for her short little life and that a monster, Renee King stole all of that out of envy and jealousy and in the final moments of Lily's life inflicted vicious rage, pain and terror.. Lily has long since been at peace tho.. Her beautiful life that ended so viciously was ONLY FOR MOMENTS until she found herself wrapped in the warm and loving arms of God.. Lauren one day will be reunited with Lily and I believe that it's likely her belief in knowing that day will happen that is what allows her to focus on Lily and seeing justice served on Lily's behalf..

Again thanks Ms. Faceticious for staying dedicated to keeping all of us updated with Lily's case.. I'm so thankful that this jury saw the light and were not distracted by the iffy bs thrown about during the trial.. God bless Lily's precious family that I'm certain that tho, they likely are relieved and pleased that justice was served on behalf of what Lily suffered, but truly it is no consolation with having to live the remainder of their earthly lives without Lily.. That in the end is just the very brutal reality that sets in when the smoke clears from all of the drama and emotional rollercoaster of the trial finally subside.. For that there truly is no justice and for that is what these precious family members are forced to deal with day in and day out for the many years to come.. They will continue to be in my and my family's prayers..

Renee King this afternoon was convicted of felony murder, sexual assault and child abuse by a Macomb County jury that deliberated only two hours before delivering its verdict.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

King after hearing the verdict covered her face with her hands and appeared visibly shaken.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2012/02/27/news/doc4f4bfce6df177239239529.txt

King, 30, will be sentenced to mandatory life in prison without parole April 10.

For Furneaux, the verdict was bittersweet.

"We're ecstatic," she said. "Still, it doesn't bring Lily back."

------------------------------------------------

Furneaux and her family say they suspected Lily was being abused under King's care and documented the bruises and black eyes in an attempt to gain full custody.

"It was still not enough,"
she said. "I just want to hold her again. You are supposed to protect your daughters from the evil in the world and I couldn't protect her."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...other-‘ecstatic’-at-guilty-verdict-in-killing

lily19.jpg

Furneaux said she wished she could have done more to keep her daughter safe.

"I fought with everything I had, and I failed as a mother. ... I just want to hold her again,"
said Furneaux, who lives in Lapeer.

Recounting earlier testimony, Tobin said during her closing arguments Monday that Lily's injuries -- 20 distinct impacts to her head -- were consistent with having her head slammed into the floor over and over, and that the trauma was similar to what someone would experience in a car crash.
And she said that the injuries to the girl's genitals were comparable to what a woman would experience giving birth.

http://www.freep.com/article/201202...of-sexual-assault-and-killing-2-year-old-girl

Once again... THANK YOU to this jury.... Thank you....
:seeya:

Furneaux said she wished she could have done more to keep her daughter safe.

"I fought with everything I had, and I failed as a mother. ... I just want to hold her again,"
said Furneaux, who lives in Lapeer.

Recounting earlier testimony, Tobin said during her closing arguments Monday that Lily's injuries -- 20 distinct impacts to her head -- were consistent with having her head slammed into the floor over and over, and that the trauma was similar to what someone would experience in a car crash.
And she said that the injuries to the girl's genitals were comparable to what a woman would experience giving birth.

http://www.freep.com/article/201202...of-sexual-assault-and-killing-2-year-old-girl

Once again... THANK YOU to this jury.... Thank you....
:seeya:

Oh, this young woman never failed as a mother. The child custody system may have failed, but not her. Poor thing. Throughout this horrible ordeal, she has come across as a wonderful, protective, fierce mother.

Did they ever explain the sexual trauma (still makes no sense to me)? I'm glad she was found guilty.

OH my I couldnt have asked for a better verdict! GUILTY!!! I had a huge smile on my face knowing that this little angel has justice....

Oh, this young woman never failed as a mother. The child custody system may have failed, but not her. Poor thing. Throughout this horrible ordeal, she has come across as a wonderful, protective, fierce mother.

Did they ever explain the sexual trauma (still makes no sense to me)? I'm glad she was found guilty.
My sentiments exactly!

I agree with you. Lauren reminds me of a friend of mine... they could be sisters. I think that why this hit me so hard, instantly.

I am not sure who "they" is referring to... so I shall give you both sides. (And if you ask me for a link, I'm gonna scream. It's here, I swear!) :seeya:

Defense: The medical examiner who never examined Lily or actual evidence said...

At some point in the process of being dropped twice and getting 20 separate blows... (by hitting the bench, the faucet, etc...)
Lily also could have landed on something... perfectly to straddle it, which caused the sexual trauma. :what:
They also suggested that the officers, EMT's, nurses or doctors might have inflicted the sexual trauma.

I know, totally reasonable right? I can't imagine why this jury didn't buy it....

Prosecution: The medical examiner who DID examine Lily (and did miss a bullet hole in a guys head the month before) said...

Lily was raped with an object(s) within two hours before her death.
They didn't know what object(s) was used.
There was a small fiber found inside her.
The trauma was equal to giving birth, tearing at her.
It was deep enough it punctured the wall between... well you know.
She was bleeding from there when she got to the ER.

This link has some of the above and below:

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/11/29/news/doc4cf335a25066a646658565.txt

There was never any motive introduced for the sexual trauma, at least not that I saw.
I think it was supposed to be implied that the sexual trauma was punishment for the potty accidents. Or something along those lines.

MY personal theories...

September 24th, Renee claimed Jeff was violent with her when she refused to have sex with him.
I wondered about that as a motive. Doing that to his daughter to get revenge on him for doing that to her.

HOWEVER, I have also ALWAYS wondered... if Lily wasn't supposed to be the next Jessica, Samantha, Somer...
Maybe the sexual aspect was to make it look like a sexual crime, committed by somebody else.

Did she initially plan to take Lily and leave her somewhere that she'd be found, then report her missing or abducted?
Thinking it would be looked at as a stranger/pedophile abduction when Lily was found and she'd be the one comforting Jeff?

Maybe she never intended to call 911... but then was overwhelmed when she actually had a dead child in front of her?
That possibility has always haunted me... but maybe I just want to believe there is a "logical" reason for it that is "less evil."

I just hope it was after Lily was unconscious. I hope Lily was knocked out with the first blow. I hope she wasn't scared.
:please:

I was also wondering what this "surprise" was that was mentioned, which would prove RK to be innocent.

I had a thought that maybe RK had an "visitor" during the time this little angel was there. Maybe both were "high" and the male decided to take advantage of this baby. I am not saying RK is innocent just that she had a partner in crime?

JMO

I will also NEVER, NEVER in a million years understand why Lily's daddy stood by this woman. {disgust}

I was also wondering what this "surprise" was that was mentioned, which would prove RK to be innocent.

I had a thought that maybe RK had an "visitor" during the time this little angel was there. Maybe both were "high" and the male decided to take advantage of this baby. I am not saying RK is innocent just that she had a partner in crime?

JMO

It's certainly possible, I am not set on Renee doing all of this. But if it happened she didn't use it as a defense.
Since they blamed everyone else who had contact with Lily, you'd think she might have thrown in anyone who was at the house.
At that point hiding an affair likely wouldn't be an issue compared to trying to get away from life in prison.
But if the guy witnessed her murdering Lily, then she would have reason to cover for him, if he covered for her.

I will also NEVER, NEVER in a million years understand why Lily's daddy stood by this woman. {disgust}

Well... he and his girlfriend were just really supportive of his wife you know. :giggle:
Come on... if you were dating a guy who's wife was charged with murdering his child...
You wouldn't go to court to support his wife?? :what:

You wouldn't go out to lunch with his wife's mother during the trial?? :waitasec:
Well that isn't a very supportive girlfriend, now is it. :innocent:

(In all seriousness it is possible he won't admit this was intentional on Renee's part because then he will blame himself.
Though I am not sure how an accident changes that. He knew her medical condition and left her with Lily. Still his fault.)
Or he just might not want to admit he is wrong. He really hates Lily's family. Admitting they were right might just kill him or something.
:waitasec:

GUILTY MI- Stepmother charged in rape/murder of 2yo Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger (New Haven)

THANK YOU to whoever changed the thread title to GUILTY!!!
I wanted to ask but I thought I'd give it a while and see if someone did it first.
Thank you!
That made me smile... :seeya:

I was SO afraid that we wouldn't get this verdict... Caylee... Lauren... Haleigh... Hailey... Trenton... so many have gone without any justice.

I am so relieved Lily didn't join that list of statistics as well. :seeya:

It's certainly possible, I am not set on Renee doing all of this. But if it happened she didn't use it as a defense.
Since they blamed everyone else who had contact with Lily, you'd think she might have thrown in anyone who was at the house.
At that point hiding an affair likely wouldn't be an issue compared to trying to get away from life in prison.
But if the guy witnessed her murdering Lily, then she would have reason to cover for him, if he covered for her.

Well... he and his girlfriend were just really supportive of his wife you know. :giggle:
Come on... if you were dating a guy who's wife was charged with murdering his child...
You wouldn't go to court to support his wife?? :what:

You wouldn't go out to lunch with his wife's mother during the trial?? :waitasec:
Well that isn't a very supportive girlfriend, now is it. :innocent:

(In all seriousness it is possible he won't admit this was intentional on Renee's part because then he will blame himself.
Though I am not sure how an accident changes that. He knew her medical condition and left her with Lily. Still his fault.)
Or he just might not want to admit he is wrong. He really hates Lily's family. Admitting they were right might just kill him or something.
:waitasec:

I think that he does hate Lily's family more than he cares about the truth. Also, I agree, it would mean that he shares in the guilt a bit because I think he knew full well that Renee was mean to Lily; and he knew full well that she shouldn't be left alone to watch beautiful Lily. He just didn't care because it ticked Lily's family off for him to have those visitations. IMHO

I think that he does hate Lily's family more than he cares about the truth. Also, I agree, it would mean that he shares in the guilt a bit because I think he knew full well that Renee was mean to Lily; and he knew full well that she shouldn't be left alone to watch beautiful Lily. He just didn't care because it ticked Lily's family off for him to have those visitations. IMHO

I hope that one of the things that changes because of Lily... is that visitations are not scheduled on days that the parent is known to be unavailable.
My sister in law would lose it if her ex husband drop their daughter off at the babysitter during his visitation. That just isn't right. :waitasec:

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton says, "Why is it happening?

There's too many young people having children before they're ready to assume the responsibility, the awesome responsibility of caring for a child."

Earlier this month the prosecutor accused Daniel Hall of sexually assaulting a six month old baby girl while his wife Alisha allegedly took pictures of it.

http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=724794#.T07IR3nFmSo

The case with the 6 month old is here, of course. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162296&highlight=daniel+hall

I'm sorry, but not even ONE of the cases in that article have anything to do with being too young to care for a child.
That is absurd. (Coming from a teen Mom.)

They all have to do with... I don't even know, being evil. Being sick. But NOT being overwhelmed.

You don't rape and repeatedly bash a 2 year old's head into the floor just because they are frustrating you.
You don't sexually assault a 6 month old and take pictures just because you are overwhelmed with caring for them.

You shake a 6 month old in frustration because you are overwhelmed and they won't stop crying.

THAT could be blamed on being too young, being overwhelmed and not being able to handle the responsibility if he wants.
But *advertiser censored* of a 6 month old if because they were too young? Beating up a 6 month old is because they were too young? Seriously? :what:

Not to mention... that 6 month old has parents who are 25 and 26. Lily's killer is 29 years old. These are NOT "young" parents.

Okay... I'm done with that rant, for now. I'm easily annoyed right now I guess. :innocent:

Jeffrey Wolfenbarger, 29, was charged with misdemeanor counts of disturbing the peace and aggravated assault in Clinton Township's 41-B District Court.

----------------------------------------------------

Wolfenbarger was formally charged one day after a jury convicted King in the 2-year-old girl's death.

Wolfenbarger is charged in an altercation that broke out in the lobby during a break in the trial.

-----------------------------------------------------

After the altercation, Wolfenbarger was barred from the courtroom of Circuit Judge Diane Druzinski for the remainder of King's trial. :what:

The assault charge is a one-year offense and disturbing the peace is up to 90 days in jail.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...d-of-convicted-murderer-arraigned-for-assault

Lauren Furneaux's last memory of her 2-year-old daughter is filled with screams and tears as the child was carried away in a gas station parking lot for a court-ordered visit with her father.

Hours later, prosecutors say, the girl's stepmother fatally beat and sexually assaulted the toddler over temper tantrums and toilet training accidents.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/St...x-Assault-Murder-of-2-Year-Old-140784603.html

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/02/28/news/local_news/doc4f4c017c4d2d7496573041.txt

Video: Lily's Mom and her family react to the verdict:

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2012/02/28/news/doc4f4ccaf8daf8a562570149.txt

The jury foreman’s first “guilty” produced a collective gasp in the courtroom
among about two dozen supporters of Lily and her family, and was followed by tears and hugs.

“We’re thankful, very thankful,” Oslund said. “This was a long time coming but worth it. If it hadn’t gone this way, I don’t know if the family would’ve been able to handle it.”

Lauren Furneaux said she feared the worst, but was naturally pleased.

“I’m ecstatic,” she said. “It still doesn’t bring Lily back, but the fact that she won’t be able to hurt any more children and she will think about what she did to my daughter the rest of her life, that’s all I could ask for.

“It’s overwhelming. I was so scared with what happened with Casey Anthony’s case going to happen to us. Once they said that first charge I knew it was okay.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“I hope it sends a message that we’re going to see through people’s BS when it comes to harming children,” Smith said.

Jurors who talked to Malkiewicz didn’t explain their quick decision, but shed light on some of their reasoning, he said.

“A lot of them had problems with the fact that she was falling all the time and took her into the shower,” he said. “A lot of them said that’s not something a mother would do.”

Jurors relied heavily on county Medical Examiner Dr. Daniel Spitz, who ruled the death a homicide, and was backed by child abuse expert Dr. Marcus DeGraw.

I am so happy to read this! Finally, a conviction!

I am also thrilled to see that Lauren has now turned her passion to getting Justice for Juliette. Juliette needs as many on her side as she can get.
I am so grateful that Lily had good law enforcement and prosecutors working for her... rather than labeling her "just another dead baby case."

If I had to pick two murdered little girls who I have spent the most time and energy on... it's definitely Lily and Juliette. :seeya:

Justice for Lily

http://www.facebook.com/JusticeForLily?sk=wall

Justice for Juliette

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Juliette/163622797027340

Juliette's Thread:

NE - NE- Juliette - July 2008 - soldier's 2 year old murdered - no arrests - HELP! - Page 10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

jl7l.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn