MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I visited a museum fossil exhibit, where I spoke with a scientist who was a volunteer. He was telling me that now, chemists can even test dirt millions of years old and exactly determine from where that dirt was derived; for example if it was plant, animal, human and even the specific organs, through chemical composition. Is it gas chromatography? He said it was quite costly. I wondered if they can do that with ash samples.

I have known for some time that the tooth fragment found in the ashes of the fire pit in the Katy Poirer case (as mentioned in a previous article) showed her DNA.

Also, can scientists get DNA from even the smallest fragments, such as dirt or ash?

there is some new process I read about that they deal with mitochondria. I am too busy to search right now.

I do no think the Reker & Jacob case are related either.

In regards to the Abbey and the sexual abuse of students. Don't get me started about the responsibility and accountability of the Catholic Church . . OT. Today, those in charge would and do handle all of this differently. Unfortunately most clergy would agree that it has been dealt with in the worst possible way, by the Catholic Church, all over the world, from Rome on down. Personally, I think the Pope, Cardinals & Bishops must first get down on their knees and beg forgiveness, first from the victims & their families. Then they need to beg forgiveness from the Church and Community at large. Then they must admit that they WERE WRONG, are at fault accept responsibility for hiding the abuse and in so doing, only allowed that others were abused because of this action. There was not the knowledge and information about abuse 20-40 years ago. But that does not excuse the behavior.

Then they need to hold accountable those who have broken the law, and if that involves justice by going to prison, then so be it.

So much suffering by the victims and their families, and also by the monks and priests who must deal with the amoral and criminal behavior of these offenders. Personally, I think that it is preferable that those who have offended are under close scrutiny and observation by their Superiors, unlike those out on the street. In no way do I make excuses for this, but I do know the intense pain the entire Monastic community suffers, because of the horrors committed by a "few" of those who have abused. They live with this every day. This is where "hating the sin" and not the sinner really comes into practice, and it is not easy!
OK, my rant is over . . .But this is very personal for me, because I have dear & faithful friends there, who have suffered so much.

I do no think the Reker & Jacob case are related either.

In regards to the Abbey and the sexual abuse of students. Don't get me started about the responsibility and accountability of the Catholic Church . . OT. Today, those in charge would and do handle all of this differently. Unfortunately most clergy would agree that it has been dealt with in the worst possible way, by the Catholic Church, all over the world, from Rome on down. Personally, I think the Pope, Cardinals & Bishops must first get down on their knees and beg forgiveness, first from the victims & their families. Then they need to beg forgiveness from the Church and Community at large. Then they must admit that they WERE WRONG, are at fault accept responsibility for hiding the abuse and in so doing, only allowed that others were abused because of this action. There was not the knowledge and information about abuse 20-40 years ago. But that does not excuse the behavior.

Then they need to hold accountable those who have broken the law, and if that involves justice by going to prison, then so be it.

So much suffering by the victims and their families, and also by the monks and priests who must deal with the amoral and criminal behavior of these offenders. Personally, I think that it is preferable that those who have offended are under close scrutiny and observation by their Superiors, unlike those out on the street. In no way do I make excuses for this, but I do know the intense pain the entire Monastic community suffers, because of the horrors committed by a "few" of those who have abused. They live with this every day. This is where "hating the sin" and not the sinner really comes into practice, and it is not easy!
OK, my rant is over . . .But this is very personal for me, because I have dear & faithful friends there, who have suffered so much.

Great ideas, but this will never happen. I cannot see any Pope, Cardinal, or Bishop doing this. I've not even heard the Abby did this.

I read in the paper and they are still covering up and denying.

I think they should be in prison. Why are they any more special?

The tie to the abbey, and the fact that there was a back road to the abbey from Jacob's abduction site, gives me a feeling of inexplicable horror in my gut. Then I read that DR, the suspect, had ties to the abbey himself and was friends with someone who resided there. I am no psychic, but like many of us, I get positively slammed by a hunch here and there, and this info has done that very thing to me. I really hope LE are going deep into the ties to the abbey now, and that they do not blow it off. Something very sinister is raising the hair on my arms with this case. I immediately think of Josh Guimond, who disappeared on campus near the abbey twelve years later. Sources say he had been researching corruption and deception at the abbey online in the weeks before he died.
I pray that there are new developments soon and LE can bring Jacob home at long last. This story is soul crushing. I don't know how the perp or perps can live with themselves this long without giving the Wetterlings closure and peace.

The tie to the abbey, and the fact that there was a back road to the abbey from Jacob's abduction site, gives me a feeling of inexplicable horror in my gut. Then I read that DR, the suspect, had ties to the abbey himself and was friends with someone who resided there. I am no psychic, but like many of us, I get positively slammed by a hunch here and there, and this info has done that very thing to me. I really hope LE are going deep into the ties to the abbey now, and that they do not blow it off. Something very sinister is raising the hair on my arms with this case. I immediately think of Josh Guimond, who disappeared on campus near the abbey twelve years later. Sources say he had been researching corruption and deception at the abbey online in the weeks before he died.

BBM

Just want to clarify....

There is no back road from the abduction site to the abbey. There is a walking trail (Wobegon Trail) that comes close to the abduction site...maybe 1/2 mile or so. But this trail wasn't even there at that time.

BBM

Just want to clarify....

There is no back road from the abduction site to the abbey. There is a walking trail (Wobegon Trail) that comes close to the abduction site...maybe 1/2 mile or so. But this trail wasn't even there at that time.

Well, DR does have his own running trails that go directly to St. John's. I'm not sure how long ago he would have made those, but they could have been there already when Jacob was kidnapped. He would have been in his 30's then and possibly running already. (That doesn't mean I think DR took Jacob and hid him on a running trail - but it could point to others who may have used those trails coming from the other direction.)

Here's the link from earlier on WS:
Found this interesting since DR is a runner. These are all running trails designed by DR. Some lead from his farm to St. John's Abbey, and to a chapel at St. John's which is out in the woods on a lake there. One leads to a park and cemetery area behind St. Ben's college. One leads from his farm to Cold Spring school. Just shows how well he knows that whole area.
http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Saint+Joseph+MN

Great ideas, but this will never happen. I cannot see any Pope, Cardinal, or Bishop doing this. I've not even heard the Abby did this.

No, it is not "newsworthy", what has happened behind the scenes with the victims and their families. Believe me, there has been way more than apologies.
It is just dificult to hear rumor and inuendo when folks obviously know very little about the situation.

This thread is about Jacob, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Abbey.

LE has focused on DR, enough to do a search of the family's property for evidence. I'm curious what everyone thinks now. Of course, I don't know that DR is guilty of anything ... all speculation on my part.

1) Are Jacob's case & the Cold Springs abuse case related?
2) Could DR be the perp in the Cold Spring case?
3) IF the Cold Springs case & Jacob's are related ... then doesn't it look like a serial offender?
4) Where are the other cases IF the perp resides in this area?
5) Do you think the mystery man at Tom Thumb (the sketch) played a role in Jacob's abduction?
6) Is DR a POI simply because he was home the night Jacob disappeared so it's known he was in the area?

My answers would be that the Cold Springs abuse case & Jacob's abduction were committed by the same person. I do believe it is possible DR could have been responsible. LE certainly has questioned him a number of times over the years.

I think the mystery man at Tom Thumb was just some guy who was traveling thru the area & stopped in. A hunter/fisherman perhaps? I think it was just coincidence.

But ... IF DR was involved ... where are the other cases that would be linked to him? He surely wouldn't have stopped with Jacob would he?

MOO
(sorry for the rambling post ... am at work)

Well, DR does have his own running trails that go directly to St. John's. I'm not sure how long ago he would have made those, but they could have been there already when Jacob was kidnapped. He would have been in his 30's then and possibly running already. (That doesn't mean I think DR took Jacob and hid him on a running trail - but it could point to others who may have used those trails coming from the other direction.)

Here's the link from earlier on WS:
Found this interesting since DR is a runner. These are all running trails designed by DR. Some lead from his farm to St. John's Abbey, and to a chapel at St. John's which is out in the woods on a lake there. One leads to a park and cemetery area behind St. Ben's college. One leads from his farm to Cold Spring school. Just shows how well he knows that whole area.
http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Saint+Joseph+MN

Thank you...I must have missed this earlier! I looked through most of the routes he created and they mainly utilize existing city streets and county roads. For example, the route from his house to Cold Spring Elementary goes through the city of St. Joseph, then onto Country Road #2 all the way to Cold Spring. I guess when I think of trails I imagine secluded, private, wooded paths...so I stand corrected.

BTW, my children's class schedules for this school year lists DR as their music teacher.

wow! I can't believe that they are actually having him as a teacher.

Thank you...I must have missed this earlier! I looked through most of the routes he created and they mainly utilize existing city streets and county roads. For example, the route from his house to Cold Spring Elementary goes through the city of St. Joseph, then onto Country Road #2 all the way to Cold Spring. I guess when I think of trails I imagine secluded, private, wooded paths...so I stand corrected.

BTW, my children's class schedules for this school year lists DR as their music teacher.

I'm not sure how appropriate a question this is -- but how do you feel knowing that a person of interested in regards to an abduction case has been assigned to teach your children?!

I was wondering the same thing myself. Quite frankly, I would ask that my children opt out.

Sorry if I was misinformed? I was sure that I read that there is a direct trail from DR's property to the abbey/campus of St. John's. I could swear that I actually read it here on one of Jacob's threads, in a media link. I do know that he is associated with people at the abbey. I've read about him at length online.

I'm not sure how appropriate a question this is -- but how do you feel knowing that a person of interested in regards to an abduction case has been assigned to teach your children?!

It's weird...instinctively, I don't want them in his class. Should I call the principal, should I sit in the back of the room during music class, do I do anything?

I can't talk to my kids about him, or that he is a person of interest in this case. They know about Jacob, but they don't know about DR. Although, once school starts (sept 7th) all the kids will be talking and rumors will fly.

How awful for DR if he is innocent. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. But mostly, if he is involved, I hope he is arrested before school starts so us parents can relax...I know I'm not the only one who is freaked out about it.

I've never met him in person. I plan to do so as soon as possible.

Sorry if I was misinformed? I was sure that I read that there is a direct trail from DR's property to the abbey/campus of St. John's. I could swear that I actually read it here on one of Jacob's threads, in a media link. I do know that he is associated with people at the abbey. I've read about him at length online.

You weren't misinformed, but it's just not quite accurate. I work in St. Joseph and have lived in this area for 30 years. There is a walking/biking/running path called Lake Wobegon Trail that utilizes abandoned railroad property and runs west from St. Joe for some 30 or 40 miles IIRC. It would go straight past St. John's campus/abbey. But this didn't exist in 1989.

The link shergal provided shows many running routes DR created. I never saw that before but my understanding is the routes use mostly streets and county roads. DR does work at St. Johns and its likely he runs to work. He could have several routes to get there, but he would still have to run through town and across a few highways.

It's weird...instinctively, I don't want them in his class. Should I call the principal, should I sit in the back of the room during music class, do I do anything?

I can't talk to my kids about him, or that he is a person of interest in this case. They know about Jacob, but they don't know about DR. Although, once school starts (sept 7th) all the kids will be talking and rumors will fly.

How awful for DR if he is innocent. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. But mostly, if he is involved, I hope he is arrested before school starts so us parents can relax...I know I'm not the only one who is freaked out about it.

I've never met him in person. I plan to do so as soon as possible.

DR, to my knowledge, has been a teacher without any complaints, for at least 20 yrs. I can't see why this would be a problem. Maybe he is the culprit, but remember this is only a hunch by two new investigators, who may very well be wrong. Also, I don't believe there is another music teacher available. DR travels to different schools.

Here's hoping they get results back on their search from DR's family property before school starts. It's bound to be uncomfortable for DR and for parents otherwise. I can see how it would be difficult for you, Shay.

If it was I, I would retire or ask for a no student contact job. He is putting himself at risk, I feel.

He certainly must have enough money so that he doesn't have to worry about that and he could pursue other passions, such as his music.

There are so many laid-off music teachers out there they could get one in a snap and at a much lower salary than he gets.

Many music teachers travel to different schools, so that's nothing new.

I am intrigued with the trails. I wonder if he has a private one that he had in 1989. He looks to be quite strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab