MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
That's not really accurate. "On Friday, July 2, Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner described 54-year-old music teacher Dan Rassier as a “person of interest” in the abduction of Jacob Wetterling at the end of the Rassier driveway on the evening of Oct. 22, 1989." It was the sheriff himself who told the Times that DR was a POI. It was published in the local paper and on the local and twin cities news. I think that is a "general announcement."
http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/

From the article you referenced:

"Officially, “person of interest” means..well, nothing. No one has ever formally defined it — not police, not prosecutors, not journalists. The terms “accused,” “allege,” “arrest” and “indict” all are dealt with in the Associated Press Stylebook, but there is no listing for “person of interest.” Similarly, the U.S. Attorneys’ Manual — the official guide to federal criminal prosecution — uses the terms “suspect,” “subject,” “target” and “material witness,” but “person of interest” gets no mention."

POI does not mean DR is a suspect, which it seems many people are claiming him to be. The two new investigators may very well be on a witch hunt and may be harming DR's reputation.

I'm not any sort of friend of DR, just a person who doesn't want to pre-judge w/o solid evidence and an arrest. Until then, I think he should be free to continue his employment.

Not many parents have the luxury of home schooling either. It takes a parent who is home all day with their child. In many cases parents work outside the home.

DR has had a completely clean teaching record for many years, has given DNA, has taken (with presumeably no problem) a LDT, and has been interviewed several times w/o being charged. What happens if someone else is hired to take his job, and he's assigned to menial tasks, then no evidence is found? Will a court of opinion still prevent him from doing his job for the rest of the year?

DR has taught the same children for years, and not one child has accused him of anything inappropriate. I see this as a lawsuit just waiting to happen, a lawsuit that could cost the district heavily. Are parents willing to underwrite a panic cost in the form of higher taxes?

Text in quote bolded, italicized and colored with great respect by me, for the sake of clarity.

Its that word "presumably" in the above quote that has me riled up. I'd like to point out that here in Ontario, our Employment Standards Act states clearly that, " No person shall disclose to an employer that an employee has taken a lie detector test or disclose to an employer the results of a lie detector test taken by an employee. 2000, c. 41, s. 70 (2)".

Here is the link in case you're interested: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_00e41_e.htm#BK112.

So with that in mind, its possible (if the laws out there are the same as those here), that he actually showed deception on his LDT, and that his employer (the School Board) is unaware of official test results. Its possible that they only have DR's word for it, and if so, then how can anyone be sure he was upfront and honest about his results? DR could well have been told he passed, when infact, his responses may have given rise to LE concerns of stress and deception over certain questions and responses. Unless LE provided results directly to the employer, how would they know it?

For that matter, did police ever state officially that the LDT was clear and showed no signs of deception? I don't recall hearing an official statement (or reading one) on this issue from LE, or anyone else besides DR and possibly his family. His own admission that he took an LDT and passed is simply not good enough for me! I'll believe that when LE or someone in the legal system (eg: a lawyer) states it. Out here, police cannot even provide the child welfare agencies with a criminal record check on someone involved with child welfare services, unless they have written consent from the person to do so! As a result, even when a child welfare worker demands a criminal record check on someone involved in an open file, the person must apply for it themselves, and forward it themselves to the child welfare agency. Police cannot do so without a major breech of confidentiality! I suspect that there are similar issues of confidentiality involved in this case as well, which likely preclude police from making the official LDT results public.

And while I'm at it, I will also point out that LDT results are NOT admissible in court as evidence here in Ontario. However, police use these because they can use any statements you make during the test as evidence against you! The use of and results from LDTS are rather unreliable, which is why the results of which are not admissible in court!

I'm sorry, but for me, even if the LDT indicated he was innocent, its not quite enough for me to be satisfied of his innocence, considering that they are unreliable, and given that they cannot be used in our courts to convict someone!

I'm not saying he is guilty either for that matter!! He very well could be completely innocent, and if so, without something to confirm his innocence, he is really euchred! I don't see exactly how LE will ever formally clear him in the absence of a reliable alibi, unless DNA evidence confirms someone else is responsible, or unless someone else confesses to this crime, and his/her guilt can be somehow prooven!! Its a hard situation for him to be in, undoubtedly!! I sincerely hope that somehow LE finds a way to clear him if he is indeed innocent of any involvement and all knowledge of the crime!! But in the meantime, I'm sorry, but I'm not satisfied by an LDT that he presumably passed.

Re: DR said he passed a DT.

Did LE say he didn't? To my knowledge they have not.

Re: DR said he passed a DT.

Did LE say he didn't? To my knowledge they have not.

Thanks -- thats my point! There seems to be no official confirmation that he passed the LDT from LE. The only indication of a passed test seems to have come from DR and/or his family.

I for one am not saying that DR should not have employment. I AM saying that he should not be in a classroom with children.

I am astounded that the school district is allowing him to be in a classroom and I am even more astounded that he chooses to do so.

Quite frankly, if I was a parent there, I would be making waves. My children come first. It's not that I would be asking him to start purchasing dog food for lunch because he would be impoverished.

I wonder if St. John's is keeping him as a teacher as well?

"Officially, “person of interest” means..well, nothing. ........

I'm not any sort of friend of DR, just a person who doesn't want to pre-judge w/o solid evidence and an arrest. Until then, I think he should be free to continue his employment.

(Respectfully snipped by me for space)

Well, from that same source:
"Is “a person of interest” a suspect in a crime?
Jim Kouri, a spokesman for the National Association of Chiefs of Police, says “person of interest” often is a euphemism for “suspect.”

“If it’s a suspect and you say ‘person of interest,’ you’re using the euphemism to avoid problems down the line,” says Kouri, a former New York housing police officer. What problems? Police sometimes “try to maintain that the person really isn’t a suspect” in order to get him to agree to questioning without Miranda warnings, Kouri says. “You don’t want the guy to lawyer up.”

Kouri says across the country, “it’s the legal counsel telling police chiefs that they should instruct their officers and train them to use that term.”

The difference between being named a person of interest and being named a suspect?

USLegal.com: In criminal law, a suspect is someone who is under suspicion, often formally announced as being under investigation by law enforcement officials.

Based on news reports, it’s fairly safe to speculate Dan Rassier has been under suspicion in the Jacob Wetterling abduction case for the past 20 years. An investigation which didn’t formally announce Rassier was under suspicion or a person of interest until this past week. An ongoing 20-year nightmare for the Rassier family and Dan Rassier which local residents were unaware of."

Also in the comments section here one poster says they've read DR did not pass the lie detector test. http://deathby1000papercuts.com/201...entary-band-teacher-named-person-of-interest/
I've never heard anyone say whether he passed or not, just that he took one.

And Trino, just as you are not a friend of DR's, I'm not an enemy of his, either. I'm just being realistic. They've been looking at him for 20 years because he was there alone in the spot where Jacob went missing and didn't want to help look - he wanted to sleep. Maybe he had something else he was hiding from investigators, but his whole attitude has made him questionable.

(Respectfully snipped by me for space)

Snipped...
And Trino, just as you are not a friend of DR's, I'm not an enemy of his, either. I'm just being realistic. They've been looking at him for 20 years because he was there alone in the spot where Jacob went missing and didn't want to help look - he wanted to sleep. Maybe he had something else he was hiding from investigators, but his whole attitude has made him questionable.

We convict on attitude?

We convict on attitude?

I'm not saying we convict on attitude, however, I am saying that his attitude towards the entire situation at the time is at the very least questionable! Given his behavior at the time of the crime, and his blatant REFUSAL to assist police in any meaningful way, his determination to go to sleep when a young boy's life was so very clearly at stake certainly makes me suspicious of him!!

And based on that suspicious behavior, I think its more than reasonable for LE to have spent so much time investigating him, his actions and his property!! Clearly, I'm not alone in that thought either -- because at least a few times now, police have been successful in obtaining a warrant from a judge!! If police were not suspicious of DR as a witness, a suspect, or someone with knowledge, why would they continue to hound him after all these years? Police clearly think something MORE than an abduction occurred on DR's property at the very least, or they wouldn't continue to investigate the property and owners!!

So no, we don't convict on attitude, but we certainly make assessments, and consider attitude in relation to investigation!! I hope they either clear him, or charge him very soon so that both families can lay this matter of DR's possible involvement to rest!!

I'm not saying we convict on attitude, however, I am saying that his attitude towards the entire situation at the time is at the very least questionable! Given his behavior at the time of the crime, and his blatant REFUSAL to assist police in any meaningful way, his determination to go to sleep when a young boy's life was so very clearly at stake certainly makes me suspicious of him!!

And based on that suspicious behavior, I think its more than reasonable for LE to have spent so much time investigating him, his actions and his property!! Clearly, I'm not alone in that thought either -- because at least a few times now, police have been successful in obtaining a warrant from a judge!! If police were not suspicious of DR as a witness, a suspect, or someone with knowledge, why would they continue to hound him after all these years? Police clearly think something MORE than an abduction occurred on DR's property at the very least, or they wouldn't continue to investigate the property and owners!!

So no, we don't convict on attitude, but we certainly make assessments, and consider attitude in relation to investigation!! I hope they either clear him, or charge him very soon so that both families can lay this matter of DR's possible involvement to rest!!

Thanks, margaret_diane, you stated that much better than I did.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/parents-meet-about-wetterling-person-of-interest-aug-25-2010

As per above link, it appears that DR has been moved to a new school (St. Boniface), as a result of area lay offs (apparently). Further, concerned parents held a meeting to discuss the matter (though I'm unclear what the results of that meeting were).

The Superintendant's attitude over the development that DR has been named a POI is absolutely abhorent in my view!

I was unaware of this meeting or I certainly would have attended! I also got that email last week saying DR would be my kids' music teacher. I'm somewhat relieved to see that other parents have concerns and are speaking up.

"Officially, “person of interest” means..well, nothing. No one has ever formally defined it — not police, not prosecutors, not journalists. The terms “accused,” “allege,” “arrest” and “indict” all are dealt with in the Associated Press Stylebook, but there is no listing for “person of interest.” Similarly, the U.S. Attorneys’ Manual — the official guide to federal criminal prosecution — uses the terms “suspect,” “subject,” “target” and “material witness,” but “person of interest” gets no mention."

POI does not mean DR is a suspect, which it seems many people are claiming him to be. The two new investigators may very well be on a witch hunt and may be harming DR's reputation.

Oh I think he should too. Of course, it's easy for me to say because he is not my child's teacher. If he was, I'm pretty sure I would feel differently.

"POI" can mean any number of things. Basically, it means that they are "looking" at that person but have no "evidence" that would warrant naming that person as a suspect. In some case, LE will name multiple POI's when only one person could have committed the crime. In this case, It seems LE is just digging a little deeper to investigate/rule out someone who became a POI solely due to their residence being right next to the crime scene.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/parents-meet-about-wetterling-person-of-interest-aug-25-2010

As per above link, it appears that DR has been moved to a new school (St. Boniface), as a result of area lay offs (apparently). Further, concerned parents held a meeting to discuss the matter (though I'm unclear what the results of that meeting were).

The Superintendant's attitude over the development that DR has been named a POI is absolutely abhorent in my view!

Sounds like the public school dumped him on the Catholic school using "layoffs" as an excuse. I'm glad the parents are aware and discussing this. He has taught many years with no problems that we know of, still as a parent, I'd be concerned if my child was in his class.

"POI" can mean any number of things. Basically, it means that they are "looking" at that person but have no "evidence" that would warrant naming that person as a suspect. In some case, LE will name multiple POI's when only one person could have committed the crime. In this case, It seems LE is just digging a little deeper to investigate/rule out someone who became a POI solely due to their residence being right next to the crime scene.

It might seem that way, on the surface. However, they may have already dug a little deeper prior to this point. And we don't know yet if this has branched out to more than one POI. Or maybe there was someone else they were looking at, and it led back to him. Just saying, there are a number of possibilities.

DR has taught for 32 years w/o a problem. Why are parents suddenly in a frenzy now?

DR has taught for 32 years w/o a problem. Why are parents suddenly in a frenzy now?

I don't have the link, but an article that is posted on here says that the community was unaware that LE was interested in him over the years.

But now that he is at the new school,, the priests can keep on eye on him.

Umm, because he's a POI in a missing child case now? Have to be a pretty uncaring parent who wouldn't worry about that.

http://www.startribune.com/local/10...UoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

"...his new role as a music teacher puts him in contact with more students."

St. Boniface has a contract with Cold Springs to provide music education.

Can you seriously believe DR is going to molest a child while teaching a school music class?

YES! I seriously CAN believe it!! I worked as a front line child welfare worker for several years, and complaints of molestation, and outright rape are NOT as uncommon as you might think when it comes to teachers!! It might not happen DURING the class, in a room full of kids -- but think about those brief moments BEFORE class, AFTER class, during a recess break, between classes -- it only takes a moment for someone to be groped, caressed, kissed, squeezed.... or for an inappropriate comment of a sexual nature to be made -- ALL of which constitute sexual abuse or harassment at the very least!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blushybomb