GUILTY MO - James 'Bo' McNeely, 20, abducted & murdered, Laddonia, 17 Dec 2009

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/content.aspx?id=396065

A timeline of events in the torture and murder of James McNeely and several links to related stories. This one is a hard one, including the comments which follow:

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=396024

"Murder victim's mother remembers her son"

Thank you for posting this, Missizzy. What a tortured soul that boy was.

So those wanted him to leave their house? He had overstayed his welcome? That's why they kidnapped, tortured and murdered him??

Un-freaking-believable!

One of the things that surprised me was that the young man must have married his fiance. I guess they separated and she has moved on. Yes, he was troubled but it sounds like he had many fine and loving qualities. In many ways, most 20 year olds are troubled to some degree. They are finding their way and that's not easy in this cruel world. Isn't it desperately sad that some squeak through and do just fine while others run into the wrong people and don't make it out alive?

I read two or three comments about this young man being slightly "slower" than his peers which would not surprise me given his mother's drug use. I find this especially heart-wrenching. These are my boys, my young men. Without a LOT of support and cajoling and pushing, our guys wouldn't make it. Those who have learning differences or mild/moderate challenges due to prenatal exposure have such a tough time--often much tougher than those with more obvious disabilities. They look good, they sound good, people think they "get" it....but they don't. They can be so gullible and do such foolish things to be accepted. This boy/man did not deserve the torture he endured. I pray that he's at peace and can somehow look down on the son he loved.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNtb3RydWNrZXJzc28-

Isn't this a little bit of overkill? My Lord, the young man was slightly built. What in heck was going on? I don't think we've got the whole story yet. Yes, people get killed over drug deals gone bad. But tortured for days by the entire family?

Mo. trucker's sons charged in slaying of Ohio man

"MEXICO, Mo. – Two more teenage sons of a Missouri truck driver have been charged in the death of a man found in the refrigerated compartment of their father's tractor-trailer.

Juvenile officials said Monday that the boys, ages 16 and 14, face charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping, armed criminal action and felonious restraint. The charges were filed last month.

Six other people also have been charged in the death of 20-year-old James William Boyd McNeely, including their father, Chester Harvey Jr., 38, and another son, Chad Harvey, 19."

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/content.aspx?id=396065

A timeline of events in the torture and murder of James McNeely and several links to related stories. This one is a hard one, including the comments which follow:

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=396024

"Murder victim's mother remembers her son"

This is who I referring to in #27. The mother of this young man. I found two Myspaces for her. Either she aged like super quick from one to the other or she put pictures on the one from 20 years ago.

RIP young man. I'm so sorry for your pain in this ugly world.

New article -

Laddonia, MO —

Authorities still have not unveiled a motive in a bizarre Audrain County murder case that investigators say involves at least six adult and two juvenile suspects.

Facing first-degree murder, kidnapping and armed criminal action charges are 38-year-old Chester C. Harvey Jr. and his 34-year-old wife, Angela D. Harvey, both of Laddonia, and his son, 19-year-old Chad M. Harvey of Eolia.

Accused of kidnapping are 52-year-old Robert Nicholas Allen and 44-year-old Jackie Don Moss, both of Vandalia, and 45-year-old Darrill Kirtley Lynn of Farber.

Two unidentified juveniles, ages 16 and 14, also have been charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping, felonious restraint and armed criminal action.

Authorities say Chester Harvey admitted to smothering to death 20-year-old James William Boyd McNeely on Dec. 18 in the basement of his house at 312 Young Street in Laddonia and that Allen, Moss and Lynn were involved in holding the victim against his will.

Investigators acting on a tip found McNeely’s body Dec. 22 in Vandalia inside a refrigerated trailer leased to Chester Harvey.

Harvey, an over-the-road truck driver, may have picked up McNeely during a run to California. McNeely apparently was staying with the Harveys. The victim grew up in Martin County, Ken., and his most recent address appeared to be Columbus, Ohio.

So far, the only insight been provided in statements Angela Harvey made to a Missouri Highway Patrol investigator.

In a probable cause statement, Harvey said that she, her husband and Lynn talked by telephone conference call two days before the murder and discussed “that McNeely needed to be removed from the Harvey residence that night.”

“Angela Harvey stated the three discussed how McNeely needed to be taken care of so he couldn’t come back and harm them,” according to the statement. Harvey did not elaborate, but admitted she told her husband how to suffocate McNeely.

“Angela Harvey stated she kicked McNeely and pointed a loaded gun at him and threatened him stating, ‘Just give me one reason to shoot you,’” the statement reads.

Harvey also said in the statement that she told her husband and others how to wrap McNeely’s body “to minimize evidence.”

McNeely’s mother, Vernia Bowen of Parkersburg, W.V., has said she believes her son left his wife and son in Ohio last fall to sell drugs.

Bowen said her son had been in trouble before and that his father had served time for murder. McNeely also had drug problems, she said.

An arraignment for Angela Harvey is at 10 a,.m. Wednesday in Audrain County. Her husband and stepson will be in court Jan. 13. Allen has a Jan. 8 court appearance and Moss and Lynn will appear before a judge Jan. 27. All but Lynn were being held Monday.

A juvenile officer earlier said he would ask that the two juveniles be charged as adults in the case. A mandatory juvenile court certification hearing could be held Feb. 4.

Source: http://www.hannibal.net/news_court/x1767501390/Motive-still-sought-in-Laddonia-murder-case

At least they are all talking. I would think with them blabbing their mouths that there may not even be a trial, just guilty pleas. JMO

lizzybeth--I did some cursory checking and didn't find anything. You never know the veracity of comments. I just thought it was curious. Given that Chad Michael is quite young (19?), I would imagine that any previous conviction would be in the juvenile courts. Most "comment-ers" aren't as cautious with their choice of words as we are here. I noticed that the comment said that he'd done time "in prison". If that were so, I'd think he'd be a RSO but I haven't found anything.

I keep wondering if something sexual didn't happen to James. What could cause this entire family to fear him? Or did they simply fear what he might reveal?

Thank you for checking into that. I realize people could write anything they want on topix without any proof. The rest of the comment didn't sound as if they were trying to make stuff up though.

With all the blabbering that the suspects are doing I haven't heard one reason as to why. What could this young man have done to warrant what they did to him?

I've been watching carefully for more info on this case as it really bothers me. Here's a new article:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/01/09/relatives-drifter-slain-mo-had-drug-scheme/

"LADDONIA, Mo. -- The last time Hubert McNeely saw his nephew James alive, the young man was visiting him in Columbus, Ohio, and going on about a scheme to sell drugs with his new friends from Missouri."

Oh this poor kid. He was doing too much talking I think. I'm not buying the murderesses quote to cops that they had to get rid of him so he couldn't come back and hurt them. Pleeeeeeeease. More like dime them out.

It's heart wrenching that Bo had a father who stomped a toddler to death. A mama who lost interest in him, and went in and out of foster care. Seriously, that's a bad roster. Then you're tortured and murdered?

Thank you for the update, Iz. I hope this kid has some da*n peace now.

What a mess!! How can we expect, as a society, that a child like this can actually grow up and make decent choices. I fully understand and support the belief that once one reaches the age of majority, you better straighten up and fly right. However, raised in the midst of chaos and violence and dysfunction and in and out of foster care, just how is a young man to know which way is "right"?

This is the type of crime which causes me to just lay back and sigh. You can't unburn the toast.

So from the articles that have been linked, I guess that when James decided he didn't want to go through with the drug deal, they decided to kill him. They were afraid he was going to rat on them.

From comments I've read from people who knew James and from the article posted above, which outlines James' habit of talking too much, I really do believe now that James was somewhat cognitively impaired. That would explain why he was excitedly telling everyone and their brother about the plans. He wouldn't have been capable of seeing the danger in that. That's what got him into trouble, IMO. The Harveys and their buddies knew that if he got picked up, he would spill the beans on them. That's what they are referring to, IMO, when they say he could "come back and harm them". Possibly, they didn't even see killing him as the awful crime that it was due to his impairments. They did NOT value him as a human being one whit. They stupidly allowed him to get involved and then regretted their choice. Once they were done having him "help", they killed him. JMO

James was the type of young man who desperately needed a family support system and lots of guidance. He could have made it in life, if consistently guided away from negative influences. Sadly, that didn't happen for him.

Young adults who are born with cognitive impairments due to their parents drug/alcohol abuse suffer far more than anyone knows. They often don't qualify for services as their IQs are above 69 but are totally lost without firm direction from those who love them. People who have IQ levels in the 70's and 80's can achieve much but only with assistance and gentle guidance. The world assumes that they're totally fine. They look good, sound good, can read and write, and set up Myspace pages, but they often have lapses in reason and have challenges in daily life. They struggle with decision making, sequencing, understanding natural consequences. They sort of bounce from one thing to another unless their is someone standing nearby to steady them. Our drug using culture has produced a generation of these people and we expect them to "grow out of it". They can't. JMO

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/co...IR7F1#comments

Scroll down to comment #19 by DMWV, an interesting comment by James' former foster family. I'm very impressed that James worked hard and got his GED. That's not a walk in the park. It sounds as if he got intensive training at the program he attended.

This type of comment reminds us that even those struggling on the "margins" of society are loved by someone. These kind words give me comfort as it proves that James did find love and compassion in his short life. I have to also give credit to his former wife as she's added some sweet photos to her MS page. James wrote glowingly about her. I imagine that this murder has been brutal for her. She's raising James' child.

Mo. Truckdriver Says Murder Victim Hurt Family

POSTED: 11:20 am CST February 5, 2010

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- An eastern Missouri truck driver accused of helping to kill an Ohio drifter is speaking out.

In interviews with The Associated Press, murder suspect Chester "C.J." Harvey Jr. said it was an attack on his family -- not drugs, as some have alleged -- that led to the death of James McNeely.
Without providing details, Harvey says there was an assault on his wife and three of his sons in mid-December. He refuses to give details, saying only that his youngest son was badly bruised and his wife was so distraught that she became suicidal.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/22475569/detail.html

At this point, I'm calling BS on this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back