MO - Jasmine Miller, 6, found strangled in Branson motel, 21 Feb 2015 *Arrest*

Paul Dubois, 36, of Branson, whose daughter was a friend of Jasmine’s, is working to organize a candlelight vigil. Dubois, who suffers from health problems, said the first time he saw Jasmine was during his daughter’s birthday party. He said the girl approached him when he was unable to push children on park swings.

“She hugged me and said it doesn’t matter the fact that I can’t do what other parents can do,” Dubois said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...lured-death-snacks-branson-missouri/23898751/

4d856e31-5204-4583-82ef-d1f609ceb94a_zpspjtzbhkt.jpg

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/polic...o-lure-victim-to-motel-room/21048998_31425104

Reading the comments under that article by BWT leads me to believe he was not a family member but someone the family befriended.
Also interesting comment from CV.

JMO

He needs to be put down like a rabid F ing dog MOO

Terrible tragedy R.I.P Jasmine Miller. I wish there was a way to protect all kids. That monster should never have been bailed.

"A man allegedly lured a six-year-old girl into his motel room with snacks, throttled her, then stuffed her body under his bed.

John P Roberts, 55, was charged with the murder of schoolgirl Jasmine Miller this weekend, after she went missing in Branson, Missouri.

Police say they found her lifeless body under the bed in Roberts's room, in the same long-stay motel where Jasmine's family were living."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hotel-room-arrested-murder.html#ixzz3Scs26fNh

Yes, MO is a death penalty state. The whole process takes forever, unfortunately. This poor little girl was moved around from motel to motel, school to school, city to city in the months leading up to her death. I am not parent blaming here, but her family situation does need to be looked into. Her horrible death was the result of many, many sad circumstances. The whole picture here includes drugs (at a minimum, her murderer was a meth user), homelessness, poverty, lack of social services intervention, lack of proper court proceedings and procedure (he would have never been bonded out for $171 in the first place, for many reasons), and society as a whole turning their heads, for the most part, to the homeless and to the poor. The one and only homeless shelter for families in the 417 area, The Missouri Hotel, closed down for good this month, focussing on 'community based housing'. There is no longer an option for these families, who are often fleeing domestic violence issues, drug related issues, and so much more. So, where do they go? To these extended stay motels. I sincerely hate even typing this, but we should expect to see a lot more of things like this, especially in this area. Meth runs ramped, job market is not so great, affordable housing is few and far between, and now, there is no homeless shelter. Prayer can only go so far. There needs to be a community intervention, and it needs to happen soon. This is so sad, as this area used to be so beautiful, so safe, so happy, and so full of life. In the last 9 days, there have been 13 murders in the 417 area, including this 6 year old child, a mother and son, and a pregnant woman, all non-related. A police officer was shot not too long ago as well, who had to be airlifted to Atlanta for recovery. The people of the Ozarks need to open their eyes, and their minds, if they want to make a change.

Not surprised I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark night either. Glad he is in jail now that's the only positive but too little too late. What is he facing sentence wise? I know they have the death penalty.

Some of the elderly people who lived at one time in the same apartment complex with the man accused of strangling a 6-year-old in Branson remember being terrified of him.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...n-around-little-girl-oh-little-girl/23969887/

Thank you button seemed too little. Just wow. :sigh: That link gives you an idea how intimidating he could be when he wanted to be. A six year old child. One who he was able to fool, luring with snack, maybe a prior passing relationship to which went harmlessly. It breaks your heart.

My understanding is that he floated in and out of jail, and in and out of various motels. He was kicked out of a couple for having meth in his room, not paying rent, threatening other tenants, robbing them, repeatedly begging for money, etc. He would apparently pick up and go to another motel, and repeat.

Thanks. I looked at the locations on Google maps to see the distance but didn't take a look at his residence. Just assumed it was a house. That is the address on file for Roberts by the MO State Courts. Still, why would he go to a motel down the road?

Wonder if he checked out of the one motel and was checked into the Windsor Inn? Would there be a point in moving from motel to motel along the strip, other than maybe looking for victims?

This comment is curious:

<snip>
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/22/us-usa-crime-girl-idUSKBN0LQ0RA20150222

My understanding is that Jasmine was taking trash to the dumpster at the motel, alone, when she was lured by her murderer with snacks, into his hotel room.

Thank you button seemed too little. Just wow. :sigh: That link gives you an idea how intimidating he could be when he wanted to be. A six year old child. One who he was able to fool, luring with snack, maybe a prior passing relationship to which went harmlessly. It breaks your heart.

Yes, MO is a death penalty state. The whole process takes forever, unfortunately. This poor little girl was moved around from motel to motel, school to school, city to city in the months leading up to her death. I am not parent blaming here, but her family situation does need to be looked into. Her horrible death was the result of many, many sad circumstances. The whole picture here includes drugs (at a minimum, her murderer was a meth user), homelessness, poverty, lack of social services intervention, lack of proper court proceedings and procedure (he would have never been bonded out for $171 in the first place, for many reasons), and society as a whole turning their heads, for the most part, to the homeless and to the poor. The one and only homeless shelter for families in the 417 area, The Missouri Hotel, closed down for good this month, focussing on 'community based housing'. There is no longer an option for these families, who are often fleeing domestic violence issues, drug related issues, and so much more. So, where do they go? To these extended stay motels. I sincerely hate even typing this, but we should expect to see a lot more of things like this, especially in this area. Meth runs ramped, job market is not so great, affordable housing is few and far between, and now, there is no homeless shelter. Prayer can only go so far. There needs to be a community intervention, and it needs to happen soon. This is so sad, as this area used to be so beautiful, so safe, so happy, and so full of life. In the last 9 days, there have been 13 murders in the 417 area, including this 6 year old child, a mother and son, and a pregnant woman, all non-related. A police officer was shot not too long ago as well, who had to be airlifted to Atlanta for recovery. The people of the Ozarks need to open their eyes, and their minds, if they want to make a change.

Sorry to quote your entire post, but it was so good I had to! You are so right, unfortunately. We are in the process of trying to get a homeless shelter started in my small, rural town (yes, homelessness is an issue in our area too). Right now, the women and vulnerable children are living in the same seedy, pay by the week motels as the drug dealers/addicts, predators, and criminals. Not at all a safe circumstance. On my way to work in the mornings, I often see children getting on the bus from these places and it makes me scared and sad.

Also, in Richmond (one of the closest big cities to my area of VA), there was just a news story on TV last night that a man had used a prostitute several times, and on the last visit, he asked her if she could arrange for sex with a small child (UGHHHH! Speaking of hating to type something!). She was on the ball...she pretended to know a 5yo girl, set up the encounter, and when he knocked on the motel room door, the police were waiting for him. But how many times a day does this play out with not-so-happy endings???

My understanding is that Jasmine was taking trash to the dumpster at the motel, alone, when she was lured by her murderer with snacks, into his hotel room.

that is just heartbreaking....RIP Jasmine

I understand that people live differently than me but I can't imagine thinking it's okay for a child to do that without supervision. Not going to beat on the mother, I just don't understand.
Does anyone know how many other children lived with the mom and this child?

MSJCgrad: I think I remember seeing in the news that the police officer was shot by one of the Southwest Honky gang. Seems they're coming out more and more and meth seems to go hand in hand with them. My opinion is Springfield is not a safe place to live. If I recall I think there was something in the news recently where the chief said eleven people dead in eight days was a tragic set of coincidences or something like that. The people recently shot, including a woman, a man and his pregnant girlfriend in the mobile home was over drugs and I'm thinking recent drug bust.

Regardless this area, especially since two of my grandchildren are being raised here, is cause for concern for this grandma.

JMO

You are right, the Springfield police officer who was recently shot was shot by a 'Southwest honky' gang member, who was also a meth addict. These two go hand in hand (the SWH & meth). Your opinion that Springfield is not a safe to live would be correct. It used to be such a great place. Not too fast paced, not too country... but safe. It is no longer safe. About 10 years back, crime started to rise, and people were inclined to blame minorities who had moved into Springfield from KC MO, STL, etc. Yes, they have done their fair share of crime as well, but in the last decade, meth has completely taken over the Ozark's. Completely. Then you add in these gang-member wanna-be's fresh out of jail, addicted to meth, and looking for a way to validate their 'white pride' mentalities, and the Southwest Honky's were born. There were 11 people dead in 8 days, and that was reported before one of the victims was found to have been pregnant, and before the murder of Jasmine. The quadriple-homicide involving the pregnant woman was committed by a man who was arrested at the same residence December 24 for an active meth lab. Yet he was walking the streets, free to murder a handful of people a month later. It keeps getting worse. Just over a year ago, there was a little girl kidnapped off of the street in broad daylight, raped, and killed. There seems to be little value for the lives of others anymore, even children. It is a concern for anyone with children, grandchildren, nieces, etc. The only common denominator between the Haley Owens case last year and Jasmine's case from a few days ago, was that both were young girls, and both were walking alone when they were snatched by their abductors. Haley had been targeted, and we may learn that Jasmine was as well. The bottom line is, you cannot let your children out of your sight. Not for a second. Especially not at a seedy, extended stay motel that you have lived at for less than a month. Value your children, people. Value their lives. The task of protecting our kids has never been greater than it is today.

I understand that people live differently than me but I can't imagine thinking it's okay for a child to do that without supervision. Not going to beat on the mother, I just don't understand.
Does anyone know how many other children lived with the mom and this child?

MSJCgrad: I think I remember seeing in the news that the police officer was shot by one of the Southwest Honky gang. Seems they're coming out more and more and meth seems to go hand in hand with them. My opinion is Springfield is not a safe place to live. If I recall I think there was something in the news recently where the chief said eleven people dead in eight days was a tragic set of coincidences or something like that. The people recently shot, including a woman, a man and his pregnant girlfriend in the mobile home was over drugs and I'm thinking recent drug bust.

Regardless this area, especially since two of my grandchildren are being raised here, is cause for concern for this grandma.

JMO

Words cannot describe the grief of Jasmine Miller's parents, said Bryan Stallings, director of Jesus Was Homeless, Inc., the group overseeing Saturday's candlelight vigil in Branson."It's definitely a heart-wrenching tragedy," said Stallings, who has been in contact with Jasmine's mother and stepfather. "They are trying to cope, trying to function. There are no words to describe how awful they feel."

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2015/02/26/words-describe-awful-feel/24085373/

My heart breaks for the parents. If they were living in this hotel they already had challenges aplenty. :(

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -
Kenith Land, Junior spent a week behind bars with John Paul Roberts, and says he confessed everything: the how, the why, and what Roberts thinks will happen next.

"He just let it go and I could not believe what I was hearing&#8230; I just couldn't believe it," said Kenith Land. Land was locked up for owing money. The non-violent offender never dreamed he'd sit side by side with an accused child killer.

After days of silence, Land says Roberts opened up.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/jail-...anson-says-suspect-opens-up/21048998_31721172

"He said I killed a little girl, I said you what? and I kind of leaned back, and I said you what? and he said I killed a little girl," Land said.

The details of how are too disturbing for public broadcast, but Land says Roberts also told him the "why."

"He said for the last 5-6 days the family had been coming in eating cupcakes and stuff from him, and he said he went and got him some drugs and he come back, said he'd been drinking and he said that little girl was in my room, she took some cupcakes." Land went on to tell us how Roberts said he did it, but we will stop there.

"That was the only reason. That was the only reason, because she was taking cupcakes."

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/jail-...anson-says-suspect-opens-up/21048998_31721172

SO senseless it has the absolute ring of truth to it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back