Mom sells teen's car after finding alcohol

oh no. just the story!

Am i to take it you believe the mother was wrong? and if so, why do you think it wrong? she warned her son if he was to have the car he must agree to no alcohol in it, didn't she?

It's called consequences! The kid didn't even make it a month without breaking the rules. :boohoo:

Well i guess i didnt read the article so i didnt know details. I just read the headline.

But still, i think its a little silly.
I wouldnt do that.

I would rather do like a 2 weeks "time out' from the car
THEN if he did it again consider it.

oh no. just the story!

Why beacuase Mom did what was right.The kid was warned and Mom did what I call tough Love. She had every right to.

I myself encounter something like this with my son when he was smoking his dope.Helping him making car payments and told him I can look in anytime I wanted to.
Guess what found a pipe in the glove box. Sat it on the table got him out of his room and told him to bring the keys.Broke the pipe took the keys for 2 weeks. Got real tired of bumming rides.
The only reason we did not sell the car was His Mom liked it:angel:

wow thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

If this is the stupidest thing you've ever heard, you obviously haven't read any of these stories:

The accident occurred when the driver of the car, a 20-year old named Michael Dimitras, lost control of his car and slammed into a utility pole. Two passengers, Kendall Lui (18-years old) and Brian Haight (19-years old), were killed, while two other passengers, Colin White and Ryan Neal, suffered from serious injuries.
Michael was charged with two counts of vehicular manslaughter and drunken driving causing great bodily injury. He was sentenced to six years and 4 months in prison.
http://www.sacramentocaraccidentlawyerblog.com/2007/08/drunk_driving_car_accident_kil.html

The 23-year-old driver in a one-car accident that left four teenagers dead and four others injured has been charged Monday with reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence.
http://www.nbc5.com/news/10982918/detail.html

Moorestown High School students today are mourning a classmate killed in a beer-fueled weekend car crash while police investigate who supplied the alcohol.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/new...s_mourn_death_of_Moorestown_H_S__athlete.html

A 19-year-old Des Moines woman who was killed in a crash on Interstate 35 was drunk, police said. A young woman from the Quad-City area also died of injuries from the crash.
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/12/21/news/local/doc476b11a966dbd635360565.txt

Charges are pending against a 17-year-old boy who Boulder police say was drunk when he slammed his Lexus into a tree earlier this week, killing a passenger.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4617462/detail.html

Police have charged 19-year-old Clinton resident Dennis Knapp with the death of a young Madison woman who was killed in a violent car crash early Saturday morning. Knapp, 19, of North High St., is charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence of alcohol.
http://hartford.injuryboard.com/mot...n-drunk-driver-charged-in-fatal-car-crash.php

And on and on and on.

Well i guess i didnt read the article so i didnt know details. I just read the headline.

I wouldnt do that.

No I disagreeHe was warned.With my son I never warned him about anything till afterwards.
Now if the kid was making the car payments that would be onething. But she was footing the bill.

I wouldnt do that.

Do read the story to see why the mother did this. she had set parameters for the gift and her son chose not to follow the parameters. i don't feel the word 'silly' applies. i do feel if more parents set parameters which were followed there would be a whole lot more self-discipline which would make for a nicer world to interact in. :)

I wouldnt do that.

Are you talking from the parent standpoint or the kids? Not trying to be rude but you seem to be treading the line a little.

I wouldnt do that.

I take it your not a parent, right?
With all the teen fatal car accidents from underage drinking, that Mom should get an award.....JMO

I would do that.

A two week time out? You've got to be kidding me! The "kid" is 19 years old and doesn't seem to have the sense God gave a chicken. Obviously he isn't mature enough to handle the PRIVLEGE of driving. His parents were nice enough to buy him his car....and did he even appreciate that? Noooooo Couldn't be trusted for even a month!

If he were my son he wouldn't be driving again until he could afford to buy his own stinking car and insurance, tags, and gas...and was living on his own. He blew it.

I have a 15 year-old and am NOT looking forward to him driving, kids that age can flip from being sensible one minute and a moron the next. I don't think I'd sell it like this mom did though because I don't believe in shameing my kids,(certainly not in public). I'd most likley get a life-size poster cut-out made of him and leave it in the drivers seat where he can see it everyday and ban him from the car for 3-6 months.;)

Jubie

I guess I meant if he was still 16-17.... I guess being 19 he did deserve a little tougher stance from mom...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Either that or he doesn't agree with Mom and is afraid to voice his opinion for fear she'll put an ad in the paper for him too! :D :p

What a mom!! Yes, one day he will realize that was she did was not "the meanest" thing she could have done.

BTW, I LOVE her ad!

On the one hand, at 19, he's an adult. On the other, if he was on his parents' insurance plan, Open Container could really raise their rates--and depending whose name was on the title, they could be sued in case of an accident.

On the one hand, at 19, he's an adult. On the other, if he was on his parents' insurance plan, Open Container could really raise their rates--and depending whose name was on the title, they could be sued in case of an accident.

Good point. without knowing for sure, i do happen to be 100% certain he would have been on their insurance plan, but i'm willing to be corrected. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back