GUILTY MS - Cheyenne Hyer, 3, dies in hot car, Kiln, 30 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

She SAID she left the A/C on but I'm wondering about that. She said she arrived shortly before 9am and left the child in the car with the A/C on. According to this graph, the temp at 9am has been around 66 degrees at that time of day.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ture+long+beach+mississippi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Let's just go with she did have the A/C running. Then why did the child die from heat????

My guess is the A/C may have been turned on when the car was moved to the driveway after she was discovered. It's not going to be hard to figure that out. PDs keep records of when their vehicles are filled up with gas . Leaving the car run for 5 hours would have used up a lot of gas.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter. She had no business leaving her in the car in the first place. Not for 5 hours---------------- and not for 5 minutes.

See, that's what doesn't make sense to me. The officer said the air was set between hot and cold, so the cold wouldn't hit the baby in the face. This just gets more confusing.

The thing is, I spent hours pouring through her FB, and I wouldn't have pegged Cassie to harm her child. Especially twice.
She started off with a pretty good attitude, first in her family to get her BA, was a Christian.
Had a lot of boyfriends that she tended to fall in love with quickly, and they were always The One.
Seemed to genuinely love being pregnant and motherly.
I know people change though.
Poor baby girl.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

This sort of thing came up many a time before. You can't judge people by what is on their facebook. People who are mistreating their children are not going to post that on facebook.

Am I reading this right - she KNOWINGLY left her daughter in the car?!

Talking about work and falling asleep sounds like a big load of crap to me.

To me as well. I can't imagine going to someone's house to discuss work and then falling asleep in their house. Seriously?

See, that's what doesn't make sense to me. The officer said the air was set between hot and cold, so the cold wouldn't hit the baby in the face. This just gets more confusing.

The only thing I can think (due to the in between temp setting on AC) is that she really didn't plan to be in the house that long. Go in for a quickie and come back out. She probably did fall asleep - didn't mean to leave kid out there 4 hrs. So with the "air" blowing for 4 hrs, the car got real hot since it wasn't cold AC. Regardless, she should be held criminally liable for this and I hope she is convicted of manslaughter.

She SAID she left the A/C on but I'm wondering about that. She said she arrived shortly before 9am and left the child in the car with the A/C on. According to this graph, the temp at 9am has been around 72 degrees at that time of day.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ture+long+beach+mississippi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Let's just go with she did have the A/C running. Then why did the child die from heat????

My guess is the A/C may have been turned on when the car was moved to the driveway after she was discovered. It's not going to be hard to figure that out. PDs keep records of when their vehicles are filled up with gas . Leaving the car run for 5 hours would have used up a lot of gas.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter. She had no business leaving her in the car in the first place. Not for 5 hours---------------- and not for 5 minutes.

Hmmmmm....something just isn't adding up here.

I wonder what kind of sentence, if convicted, she's looking at.
Here's what I found regarding sentencing in Mississippi:

Manslaughter
97-3-35 $500 Fine &/or 1 Year Jail or Felony, 2 to 20 Years Pen.

Manslaughter with Culpable Negligence
97-3-35 Felony, 2 to 20 Years in Penitentiary

http://www.crimeandpunishment.net/MS/ms.html

If she left that baby in there on purpose, while she had a bootie call, with her boss, she needs to do some serious jail time. Even if she did fall asleep, she should have never left that baby in the car at all. :cry:

If she left that baby in there on purpose, while she had a bootie call, with her boss, she needs to do some serious jail time. Even if she did fall asleep, she should have never left that baby in the car at all. :cry:

Is she still on probation from the first time she left her in the car?

I wonder what kind of sentence, if convicted, she's looking at.
Here's what I found regarding sentencing in Mississippi:

Manslaughter
97-3-35 $500 Fine &/or 1 Year Jail or Felony, 2 to 20 Years Pen.

Manslaughter with Culpable Negligence
97-3-35 Felony, 2 to 20 Years in Penitentiary

http://www.crimeandpunishment.net/MS/ms.html

In Florida, the death of a child caused by culpable negligence (wanton or reckless disregard for child's safety) is considered aggravated manslaughter, a first degree felony, punishment is a maximum of 30 years.

I'm interested in this story largely because I'm following the Cooper Harris hot car trial, and am interested in how similar deaths are treated by LE and the courts in states other than Georgia.

For comparison, just on the charges and potential sentences (differences are many, including this officer knowingly left Cheyenne in her car , and for a second time, at least, while it is disputed if Harris acted with intent; Harris is being accused of intent largely because of his extramarital sexual activities, online and otherwise; this officer seems likely to have abandoned her child to engage in sexual activities, but no malicious intent is inferred, etc., etc).

If in GA , that officer could have been charged with at least 2 of the charges facing Harris:

2nd degree child cruelty (harming a child without any intent to do so, through criminal negligence (same as culpable negligence) . Sentence if charged and convicted on that count alone: 10 years.

In GA, though, the State may bring charges of felony murder as well as child cruelty. both in the 1st degree (requires intent) and second degree (crininal negligence, see above).

A conviction on the charge of 2nd degree child cruelty is all that is required to find a defendant such as Harris (or this officer, theoretically, if in GA) guilty of felony murder. Felony murder is considered murder in the 2nd degree, and the sentence can be as severe as life or LWOP.

What a difference being one state away (and being LE? ) makes.

This is just getting more infuriating as I read!!!!!!!!

"Ryan Hyer, Cheyenn’s father, said Friday he’s furious to learn about Barker leaving their daughter alone in a car before.

“
“That was a tell-tell sign that something was wrong
and if I would have been notified or somebody else would have been notified or if she lost custody of Cheyenn then, then my daughter would be alive today,” Hyer said Wednesday. “I wouldn’t have lost my child.”

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/counties/harrison-county/article106277872.html#storylink=cpy

How could this previous child welfare case be opened, the child removed from her custody, (placed in temporary care?), and the father not be notified?
bbm

IMO, mom ran in for a quicky, fell asleep, ran out hours later and turned the AC on, after finding her broiling unresponsive child . I also feel very strongly, her CO most likely knew the little girl was in the car. ( imo he should be charged with accessory!) Too bad they are not military, they would both be severely punished! Talk about "Conduct unbecoming an officer"!

Totally agree with Dad that first time the child was left alone in a car was a huge red flag.

I once lived in an apartment building, shared a front and side lawn, with other tenants. There was a mom to a two month old, who brought her infant outside in a baby carrier, when my daughter and I were out there, she got an older child off the bus, and went inside the house! My little girl and I looked after the baby, honestly just thinking positive things like maybe the first grader, had to use the bathroom badly, and mom would be back in minute or two...would have been nice if she called over her shoulder, "hey can you watch baby for a minute", or something of that nature, but this mom was exactly known for her consideration, or intelligence.

15 minutes later, the woman came flying out of the building,all panicky; "OMG! I cant believe I left (little girl baby) in the yard!

My child and I moved about a year later. I had some facebook pics up of my daughter and the child as a toddler, the next thing I know I see I am getting comments on those old pics, so I go to check and people are putting, "RIP baby girl!... I contacted one the commenters, and she told me the child (Almost three at that time),had died. She was left strapped into a car seat, in the house, and had somehow strangled on the straps. She was a lovely child, my heart was broken. I know that CPS was involved with the family back when we lived there, I do not believe the father was ever notified of the earlier transgressions...

I have to wonder why Cheyenne has a different last name than either of her parents? I also have a hard time feeling all that sorry for Dad's who *reappear* after yrs, (a year, in this case), of not seeing their children, suddenly wanting to be involved after a Tragedy...jmo

bbm

IMO, mom ran in for a quicky, fell asleep, ran out hours later and turned the AC on, after finding her broiling unresponsive child . I also feel very strongly, her CO most likely knew the little girl was in the car. ( imo he should be charged with accessory!) Too bad they are not military, they would both be severely punished! Talk about "Conduct unbecoming an officer"!

Totally agree with Dad that first time the child was left alone in a car was a huge red flag.

I once lived in an apartment building, shared a front and side lawn, with other tenants. There was a mom to a two month old, who brought her infant outside in a baby carrier, when my daughter and I were out there, she got an older child off the bus, and went inside the house! My little girl and I looked after the baby, honestly just thinking positive things like maybe the first grader, had to use the bathroom badly, and mom would be back in minute or two...would have been nice if she called over her shoulder, "hey can you watch baby for a minute", or something of that nature, but this mom was exactly known for her consideration, or intelligence.

15 minutes later, the woman came flying out of the building,all panicky; "OMG! I cant believe I left (little girl baby) in the yard!

My child and I moved about a year later. I had some facebook pics up of my daughter and the child as a toddler, the next thing I know I see I am getting comments on those old pics, so I go to check and people are putting, "RIP baby girl!... I contacted one the commenters, and she told me the child (Almost three at that time),had died. She was left strapped into a car seat, in the house, and had somehow strangled on the straps. She was a lovely child, my heart was broken. I know that CPS was involved with the family back when we lived there, I do not believe the father was ever notified of the earlier transgressions...

I have to wonder why Cheyenne has a different last name than either of her parents? I also have a hard time feeling all that sorry for Dad's who *reappear* after yrs, (a year, in this case), of not seeing their children, suddenly wanting to be involved after a Tragedy...jmo

Cheyenne's last name is Hyer. Her father's name is Ryan Hyer. Where are you getting she has a different last name than either of her parents?

Cheyenne's last name is Hyer. Her father's name is Ryan Hyer. Where are you getting she has a different last name than either of her parents?

Thank you. Yes your right. I had somehow thought dad's name was different, confused him with an officer that was mentioned in an article. I beg your pardon all...

Whoa. You know what REALLY bothers me? (besides EVERYTHING?):

Mom comes outside, sees baby, runs screaming inside, her boyfriend/cop friend runs out, and here's my problem: MOVES VEHICLE ONTO STREET AND PUTS ON FLASHING LIGHTS. Contaminate a crime scene much?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Can you please give us the main points of the article? When I click on the link, it says I have to register and pay for an online subscription to read it. TIA

I didn't encounter a paywall:

Here’s why a Hancock County investigator believes Cassie Barker is a flight risk | SunHerald

Cheyenn Hyer’s body temperature was 107 degrees by the time paramedics got her to Hancock County Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

[...]

“Now, AMR spent spent 30 or 40 minutes working on her before she got to the hospital,” Grannan said, adding the group had been working during that time to cool Cheyenn’s body down. Her temperature was still at 107 when the doctor pronounced her dead.

Grannan said investigators learned the preliminary autopsy indicated Cheyenn’s death was heat-related, but the full autopsy results, complete with toxicology results, are not yet complete.

Left in the car

In the past, Grannan said, Barker would sometimes leave Cheyenn with the babysitter overnight because Barker worked a night shift. When Barker arrived to pick up Cheyenn the day she died, her babysitter had told Barker that Cheyenn “could stay the night.”

Barker later told authorities she wasn’t planning to stay but a “few minutes” when she dropped by Ladner’s home on CC Road in Kiln. She left Cheyenn strapped in her car seat with the windows rolled up and the car running.

According to the affidavit, the car’s air conditioning was set at the maximum level, but the temperature setting was past the cold setting and closer to the heat setting and the air blower was on low.

[...]

Barker was hospitalized immediately after her daughter died after she threatened to harm herself. She was released from the hospital Wednesday evening. When sheriff’s investigators went to arrest her Thursday morning, Barker had already left her home on Dummy Line Road in Kiln.

Flight risk

Investigators who arrived at her home peered through a window and saw that she already had moved furniture out and other items had been boxed up. Barker had also rented a place to store some of her belongings, investigators learned.

Sheriff Ricky Adam and Grannan said they became concerned about Barker being a flight risk after they learned she had left the state. Adam then issued a statement saying he would arrest anyone who helped her if she didn’t surrender Thursday.

She didn’t arrive at the sheriff’s department until shortly after 3 p.m. By that time, her $50,000 bond had already been set.

In fact, Justice Court records indicate Judge Tommy Carver set the bond by cellphone at 9:42 a.m. the day before, when the arrest warrant was issued.

When Barker surrendered, she was booked on the manslaughter charge and released within an hour. When asked if she wished to speak to investigators, she refused and referred all questions to her attorney, Donald Rafferty. He has since asked the state to turn over any evidence in the case and has requested a preliminary hearing, which is set for Nov. 1.

If convicted, Barker could go to prison for no less than two years or up to 20 years.

Barker’s bond does not prohibit her from leaving the state, a concern Cheyenn’s father, Ryan Hyer, now has because he says he’s concerned Barker will show up to try to see Cheyenn before she’s laid to rest.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/crime/article107340057.html

:stormingmad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members