GUILTY MS - Sherman Sanders, 53, doused in hot oil, dies, Diamondhead, 27 July 2006

shdbepaintin said:
georgiagirl said:
Why would someone do this????

BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. (AP) — A woman fled with her two children after severely burning her husband with hot cooking oil as he slept, authorities said.
Authorities believe Edna May Sanders turned on the stove Friday and heated about two quarts of oil, waited until the grease reached a simmer and then poured the oil over her husband, covering his head, face, chest and arms.
QUOTE]

This is so awful. I am sure this guy is wishing she had just shot him. You know what I mean. Of course he wishes she had done nothing.
This kind of reminds you of "the burning bed" that movie about the true story.
A burn of any kind is so painful, I can't even imagine the horrible horrible pain this guy is in. And no matter her reason, he was in bed, not an immediate threat, there were alternatives.

I've watched "The Burning Bed" so many times and I don't blame that mother at all for what she did. That was the only way she could have ever escaped from him and saved herself and her children. That was a true story and F.F. did such an excellant job in it.

Don't understand why this wife did this but I will be interested to find out.

curious1 said:
No excuse. I can hear people saying what if he abused her or the kids? Well, she should have just taken the kids out of the house in the middle of the night while he was asleep and reported him to LE. Even if he was doing something to the kids then this is not the right message to send to the children. This is not how you deal with these problems.

I'm not taking up for the mother because I don't know the details of this story but I just want to say that sometimes it is not that easy to just leave.
Sometimes women can report abuse to LE and nothing happens...they can leave and they are more unsafe then when they stayed and so are their children. Sometimes it is a toss up on what message is best/worse for the children. Yes, sometimes this turns out to be the only answer if you want to stay alive. I can only speak from my own experience but in some cases this is a sad fact.

Jeana (DP) said:
Well I would be in prison for life in the county where I lived at the time. Once, about 6 months pregnant, I was beaten so bad that I staggered outside and passed out on the lawn, bleeding and bruised so bad my eyes were swollen shut. Two police officers carried me back home, where I was beaten again.

When my daughter lived in Texas her then husband had a pan on the stove with hot oil in it. She walked towards the kitchen and she said that she heard a voice say "turn your head" and she did. Then the hot oil hit the side of her head. The neighbor heard her scream and called the cops. They would not even take her to the hospital..neither would her husband. The neighbor ended up taking her. There was no law against domestic violence in Texas then. One thing her husband did do while she was at the hospital was to call me to tell me what he had done to her. Figure that one out. He is the ex sitting in Walla Walla now.

Oh Jeana that is just horrible. I'm surprised that you didn't lose your baby or that he didn't end up killing you. Is this guy still walking the earth or did someone do the world a favor and take him out? I can't even imagine being treated like that. My daughter's husband...at the time...did break her ribs and put her in the hospital when she was big and pregnant but nothing happened to him then either....that was in Indianna.

Maybe she was just evil. I remember seeing a woman on TV recently whose husband had poured gasoline on her and set her on fire. She didn't do anything to deserve it except that she had left him. The judge had removed her restraining order against him but I doubt if a restraining order would have prevented that happening. Then there was the case of the man a few years ago who set his little boy on fire. That child certainly didn't do anything to deserve that. Maybe this man had mistreated her and maybe she was the one doing the mistreating. We don't really know. I realize that more men commit abuse but some women have been known to abuse too. I think this is even worse that a gunshot. Burns are so painful, and to be burned to that extent over such a large part of the body would be unbearable.

Bobbisangel said:
When my daughter lived in Texas her then husband had a pan on the stove with hot oil in it. She walked towards the kitchen and she said that she heard a voice say "turn your head" and she did. Then the hot oil hit the side of her head. The neighbor heard her scream and called the cops. They would not even take her to the hospital..neither would her husband. The neighbor ended up taking her. There was no law against domestic violence in Texas then. One thing her husband did do while she was at the hospital was to call me to tell me what he had done to her. Figure that one out. He is the ex sitting in Walla Walla now.

Oh Jeana that is just horrible. I'm surprised that you didn't lose your baby or that he didn't end up killing you. Is this guy still walking the earth or did someone do the world a favor and take him out? I can't even imagine being treated like that. My daughter's husband...at the time...did break her ribs and put her in the hospital when she was big and pregnant but nothing happened to him then either....that was in Indianna.

Darlin, I'm sorry that happened to your daughter. I can't imagine how horrible it is.

I've heard that my ex is now on his third wife and working driving a garbage truck. I think that's just about perfect. :loser:

Jeana (DP) said:
Darlin, I'm sorry that happened to your daughter. I can't imagine how horrible it is.

I've heard that my ex is now on his third wife and working driving a garbage truck. I think that's just about perfect. :loser:
Shouldn't he be 'in' the garbage truck, not driving it? :D

Annie said:
Maybe she was just evil. I remember seeing a woman on TV recently whose husband had poured gasoline on her and set her on fire. She didn't do anything to deserve it except that she had left him. The judge had removed her restraining order against him but I doubt if a restraining order would have prevented that happening. Then there was the case of the man a few years ago who set his little boy on fire. That child certainly didn't do anything to deserve that. Maybe this man had mistreated her and maybe she was the one doing the mistreating. We don't really know. I realize that more men commit abuse but some women have been known to abuse too. I think this is even worse that a gunshot. Burns are so painful, and to be burned to that extent over such a large part of the body would be unbearable.
Except that every account of a man being assaulted in his sleep ties into previous histories of fairly brutal domestic abuse against the wife & kids. It seems to tie into a need to not only strike back at the tormentor but incapacitate him in such a way that they're 100% certain he can't come after them.

All of your stories are making me feel bad about being a man! :crazy:

BillyGoatGruff said:
Except that every account of a man being assaulted in his sleep ties into previous histories of fairly brutal domestic abuse against the wife & kids. It seems to tie into a need to not only strike back at the tormentor but incapacitate him in such a way that they're 100% certain he can't come after them.
I agree, BGG. I've never read of an incident this heinous that wasn't precipitated by equally terrible abuse.

Mississippi Woman Accused Of Killing Husband By Dumping Hot Cooking Oil On Him

A woman accused of dumping hot cooking oil on her sleeping husband has been charged with murder, and the FBI has joined the search for her.

Sherman Sanders died Friday after a week in the burn center at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. He had suffered third-degree burns over more than half of his body.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/08/national/main1875707.shtml?source=RSS&attr=U.S._1875707

This is just so horrible! The article says they were only married a short time. I hope they catch this horrid woman soon. omg talk about suffering.

The article don't say how old her children are, but I would think it would be very difficult to disappear with two young children in tow. Surely, she must be headed towards family.

It also reminds me a bit of those underground groups that help abused women and children go into hiding...though, as yet, there's little only circumstantial evidence to suggest this woman might have been a victim of abuse.

Not that I necessarily agree, but if he did abuse her there's bound to be a defense of battered woman's syndrome. Basically, even though he was asleep he was still a threat on her life and so she acted in self defense (that my paraphrasing, not the actual defense).

bykerladi said:
Not that I necessarily agree, but if he did abuse her there's bound to be a defense of battered woman's syndrome. Basically, even though he was asleep he was still a threat on her life and so she acted in self defense (that my paraphrasing, not the actual defense).
Yeah - my jury's out, but it's very curious. You have to hate someone a lot to hurt them like that. Isn't there a battered woman's defense that you can use even when the strike back was not an obvious immediate defense? I'm no legal eagle, but I thunk there is.

Annie said:
I found a news article about this that was written before he died. It has some information I have not seen anywhere else including a video of his sister talking and a picture of the woman who did it.http://www.fox10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5232112
Thanks so much for that link, Annie. It sounds like after many years of marriage, he wanted a divorce. The oil was her response. It wasn't a passionate response, but cold-blooded. He was asleep and she had to bring all of that oil to a boil. This is awful. I personally can't imagine many worse ways to go.

I hope they catch her soon. I now have some real fear concerning her ability to care for her children.

In one article it said that they haven't been married very long but in an older article it said that she fled with THEIR children. I wonder if they had lived together a long time and finally got married?

I'm still not ready to pass judgment yet as we don't know the whole story. Things can go on inside a home and no one knows it but the people who live in that home. He may or may not have wanted a divorce. I'm sure that he couldn't have told LE and she is still on the run. I can't imagine a woman doing something like this without a real reason for doing it...like abuse. I don't know if this woman was a stable woman though or if she had some problems that she needed medical attention with. Who knows right now. I'm sure that they will find her eventially and maybe we will find out why she did what she did.

God bless the medical staff and LE who had to respond to such horrific injuries.
Abusive or not we may never know but medics and LE will never forget this patient.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back