GUILTY MS - Sherman Sanders, 53, doused in hot oil, dies, Diamondhead, 27 July 2006

I live not far from this couple. They have a lovely brand new home in a good area, they have been married about a year and the two children are her's, not the victim's. The children are now with their dad in Baton Rouge. She abandoned her car when she took them to their dad's home and left them. (no , he knew nothing about the crime)
There is no hint of any domestic abuse on either side prior to this. He had recently asked for a divorce.
It is one thing to kill someone if you have reason to fear for your life, but there is no reason to go to the stove and wait for the oil to heat and to wait for the intended victim to fall in a deep sleep. And then run from the consequenses.

To read more the local paper is
sunherald.com
the local tv station is
wlox.com
They think she may be in Texas. I suspect Baton Rouge area.
She is a heavy set black woman I would guess in about her mid-late.30's. But that is my description, not the official one.

muffinrose said:
To read more the local paper is
sunherald.com
the local tv station is
wlox.com
They think she may be in Texas. I suspect Baton Rouge area.
She is a heavy set black woman I would guess in about her mid-late.30's. But that is my description, not the official one.
Is there a picture of her somewhere? Oh and BTW..welcome Muffinrose:)

This is terrible. I can't even imagine the pain that guy experienced, and all unncessarily. :(

I can recall how bad it hurts just to get splattered when cooking bacon or something... and it HURTS like HE**.
Man, he must've went into shock.
:(

Sounds like their family has had a lot of tragedy this year.
Losing 4 family members. yikes.

Prayers sent to the victim's family. This is just horrid. :(

The last thing this area needed is any additional heartache. We are still basically still in post-Katrina hell and any bad news just makes the cloud of gloom hover closer. Thank you for the welcome and thank you to any and all who have responded in any way to the recovery effort. Angels among us.....

Bobbisangel said:
In one article it said that they haven't been married very long but in an older article it said that she fled with THEIR children. I wonder if they had lived together a long time and finally got married?

I'm still not ready to pass judgment yet as we don't know the whole story. Things can go on inside a home and no one knows it but the people who live in that home. He may or may not have wanted a divorce. I'm sure that he couldn't have told LE and she is still on the run. I can't imagine a woman doing something like this without a real reason for doing it...like abuse. I don't know if this woman was a stable woman though or if she had some problems that she needed medical attention with. Who knows right now. I'm sure that they will find her eventially and maybe we will find out why she did what she did.
The fact those weren't his biological kids makes me wonder if something else was going on. I guess we won't know until when (or if) she is caught. She's seems surprisingly resourceful. Then again, she might very well be ex Navy, from a couple of reports. Weird if it turns out she's a retired Seal.

muffinrose said:
I live not far from this couple. They have a lovely brand new home in a good area, they have been married about a year and the two children are her's, not the victim's. The children are now with their dad in Baton Rouge. She abandoned her car when she took them to their dad's home and left them. (no , he knew nothing about the crime)
There is no hint of any domestic abuse on either side prior to this. He had recently asked for a divorce.
It is one thing to kill someone if you have reason to fear for your life, but there is no reason to go to the stove and wait for the oil to heat and to wait for the intended victim to fall in a deep sleep. And then run from the consequenses.

I heard this on CC today. Right now it sounds like she was really upset when he told her he wanted a divorce as she had no clue it was coming. I guess it was around their 1st anniversary that he told her.

I'm glad that she had the good sense to take the children to their fathers. They didn't need to be drug around from here to there. It was said that she is really evasive. LE have thought they were close to catching her and then she was gone.

If their marriage had been fine.. in her eyes anyway.. and he just said he wanted a divorce that just doesn't justify what she did to that poor man. It was said that he ran to the neighbors and his skin was just hanging off of him.
It's probably a blessing that he didn't live. I wonder if he could have even withstood the pain for long because he was burnt so bad. It's really horrible that she could even think up something like that to do to him.

There are alot of navy people in this area.
As far as his dying, I thought the very same thing. The descriptions have been unbearable to even hear. I was thankful for his sake when he died and was out of her misery. I can understand flat out killing someone in certain instances, like a mother coming in on someone hurting her child, but just kill them to attain the goal of safety as quickly as possible! What kind of evil mind would even think up such. She needs to be off the streets.

I have not heard this officially but I was told last night (Thurs) by someone who should know that the woman has turned herself in somewhere in Louisiana. Let's hope so.

Gmommy said:
Gmommy,

Thanks for the link. Everytime I think about what happened to her husband, I wince in pain. Cruel beyond belief. I too am grateful that he dies and is no longer suffering the neverending agony of that type of burn.

I am extremely interested to see what she has to say about all this.

There no reason a Man should beat on a Woman, I allway's get it the other way around I be walking away from her while she's beating on me...I was working on a piece of heavy equipment one day and a Hyd. Hose burst and covered me with 300 to 450 degrees of hot Hyd. oil I was burned from top of my head to my top of my pant's thank god it didn't go down little bit below that..But that close to quit time so I drove by the hospital. Dr. told me my eye ball's was even burned,,About 3 to 4 week's I was in major pain and looked like a The mummy from a horror film..I didn't miss 1 day of work but I couldn't do nothing but drive around and boss.. A burn is very painfull...I saw where that woman's name was Sander's I wonder If she any kin to Colonel Sanders of the Kentucky Fried Chicken Fame????

BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. -- The trial of a Gulf Coast woman accused of killing her husband by pouring hot cooking oil on him has been rescheduled.

Trial was scheduled to start Thursday in the case of Edna Mae Sanders, but Assistant District Attorney Chris Fisher said it was continued until the December term of Hancock County Circuit Court. Sanders remains free on $200,000 bond until her new December 10th trial date.

Her husband, 53-year-old Sherman Sanders, died of burns apparently inflicted on him while he was in bed at the couple's home on July 28th, 2006. He survived for a week before dying in an Alabama hospital.

Forty-five-year-old Edna Mae Sanders was indicted on a murder charge last February. more at link http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13864621/detail.html

No excuse. I can hear people saying what if he abused her or the kids? Well, she should have just taken the kids out of the house in the middle of the night while he was asleep and reported him to LE. Even if he was doing something to the kids then this is not the right message to send to the children. This is not how you deal with these problems.

I know what you mean. If he was an abuser, get the hell out of Dodge. I really am thinking that IF she is an abused spouse, or if her children had been abused by him, I might feel differently if she shot him, or something "quick." I'd even understanding throwing hot oil on him if he was hurting her or her kids and the oil was already heated up for cooking purposes.

But to coldheartedly heat the oil in the middle of the night, to pour it on him while he was asleep and just pack up and go---there's something very disturbing about that. The intent seems to be to inflict pain and suffering, not to kill. That's what disturbs me the most.

BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. -- The trial of a Gulf Coast woman accused of killing her husband by pouring hot cooking oil on him has been rescheduled.

Trial was scheduled to start Thursday in the case of Edna Mae Sanders, but Assistant District Attorney Chris Fisher said it was continued until the December term of Hancock County Circuit Court. Sanders remains free on $200,000 bond until her new December 10th trial date.

Her husband, 53-year-old Sherman Sanders, died of burns apparently inflicted on him while he was in bed at the couple's home on July 28th, 2006. He survived for a week before dying in an Alabama hospital.

Forty-five-year-old Edna Mae Sanders was indicted on a murder charge last February. more at link http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13864621/detail.html

They can delay that trial all they want. I betcha most people are going to feel like most of us do----She is cruel and guilty as hell.

I know what you mean. If he was an abuser, get the hell out of Dodge. I really am thinking that IF she is an abused spouse, or if her children had been abused by him, I might feel differently if she shot him, or something "quick." I'd even understanding throwing hot oil on him if he was hurting her or her kids and the oil was already heated up for cooking purposes.

But to coldheartedly heat the oil in the middle of the night, to pour it on him while he was asleep and just pack up and go---there's something very disturbing about that. The intent seems to be to inflict pain and suffering, not to kill. That's what disturbs me the most.

They can delay that trial all they want. I betcha most people are going to feel like most of us do----She is cruel and guilty as hell.
your bold is a very good point. if he abused her she would want him dead. not in alot of pain and pissed. i would not think pouring hot oil on some1 would kill them.

There is no excuse for this...abuse or not. She deserves whatever she gets when they find her. I hope she isn't crazy and she doesn't harm the kids in any way. They NEED to find her! She is a dangerous person.

A Hancock County woman convicted in 2008 of killing her husband with hot cooking oil was released Monday from jail after the state's high court upheld an appellate decision to overturn the verdict and order a new trial.Brian Alexander, attorney for Edna Mae Sanders, 51, said his client was released from the Hancock County jail shortly before 6 p.m. after posting $150,000 bond. She had been in jail since being convicted of murder and sentenced to life in the 2006 death of Sherman Sanders, who died about a week after he was burned at the couple's Diamondhead home in 2006.
"She's out. She's free and back with her family. She's over the moon," Alexander said.
http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2012/04/woman_freed_4_years_after_conv.html

Change of venue for re-trial, which has been moved to April 2013. http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/oct/24/cooking-oil-death-ar-4822439/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back