MSNBC to Imus: You're FIRED!

Imus used his freedom of speech to make offensive comments.

Those who protested, used their freedom of speech to protest.

MSNBC used their authority as Imus' employer to suspend him.

Consumers who were outraged by the comments and who felt the apology was not good enough, made it clear to advertisers that they would not support their products if they continue to sponsor Imus' broadcast.

Bowing to pressure from the free market, the advertisers chose to withdraw their support of MSNBC.

MSNBC responded to the advertiser threat of pullling out by punting Imus.

Works for me....

imho

The first part I bolded I agree with completely.

As for the second part, do you really think that some blacks having a nicer car than you means they aren't oppressed??? Come on, cal.

Oppressed by what? Figuring out where to spend all that cash?

Oppressed by what? Figuring out where to spend all that cash?

Actually I only used the word oppressed because cal did, but oppressed is not the right word. Just because a black man or woman has money or drives a nice car, DOES NOT mean that they have not experienced discrimination.

I am done bickering with you. I have not belittled anyone's comments and I don't deserve to be bullied about my own (this and the other threads with similar themes). IMO, many of the people commenting that blacks and other minorities don't face racism in today's world, wouldn't completely understand because THEY ARE NOT A MINORITY themself. It is that simple. And while I am not a minority myself, I have several family members who are, including my partner. I have seen many instances of how racism has hurt them and affected their lives. To deny that it exists is ridiculous.

Actually I only used the word oppressed because cal did, but oppressed is not the right word. Just because a black man or woman has money or drives a nice car, DOES NOT mean that they have not experienced discrimination.

I am done bickering with you. I have not belittled anyone's comments and I don't deserve to be bullied about my own (this and the other threads with similar themes). IMO, many of the people commenting that blacks and other minorities don't face racism in today's world, wouldn't completely understand because THEY ARE NOT A MINORITY themself. It is that simple. And while I am not a minority myself, I have several family members who are, including my partner. I have seen many instances of how racism has hurt them and affected their lives. To deny that it exists is ridiculous.

I didn't know we were even bickering. I'm sorry. Just so you know, just because a white person is...white...doesn't mean that they have not experienced discrimination.

ETA: This really goes for everyone...for every race there is. I'm sure everyone has been discriminated against in some fashion. Their looks. Their education. Their weight. You name it.

White people are well on their way to being the minority.

That is wrong, the man made a mistake and he apologized. If he didnt apologize I could see it but what else can the man do. :behindbar

I believe we have to protect free speech. I dispise Imus. I think he is a disgusting racist pig. I would never watch his show. I do not share his opinions on anything and as far as I am concerned I believe any air time he takes up is garbage. If MSNBC has decided they no longer wish to have his show take up their air space that I think that is fine. However, I do not believe he needs to apolgize for anything. He has spoken these beliefs before and its no secret he is a racist. Its about time his employeers recognize what he promotes and take a stand if they are not comfortable with that. However, he has every right to spurt any kind of trash he wishes and its the publics right and not to hire him or listen to him if they choose not too. IF there is a bigots are us radio station out there who would like to hire him then I say that is fine. It is also fine for me to never listen to such a station. The man is aplogizing to do damage control not because these are not his views. His 40 years of air play make it clear these are his views. Its time he realize that the public has every right to choose not to listen to them and the mainline media has every right to not hire him. Freedom of speech is wonderful in that it also alows us freedom to not listen.

mjak

I would like to hope we as a society might get to a point where we no longer have minorities or majorities but instead have equality for all and view oursleves not as belonging to individual races but as all citizens of earth. Nieve I know but it gives me comfort.

mjak

I would like to hope we as a society might get to a point where we no longer have minorities or majorities but instead have equality for all and view oursleves not as belonging to individual races but as all citizens of earth. Nieve I know but it gives me comfort.

mjak

mjak, if you don't mind, I'd be proud to be naive right along side you. :)

I believe we have to protect free speech. I dispise Imus. I think he is a disgusting racist pig. I would never watch his show. I do not share his opinions on anything and as far as I am concerned I believe any air time he takes up is garbage. If MSNBC has decided they no longer wish to have his show take up their air space that I think that is fine. However, I do not believe he needs to apolgize for anything. He has spoken these beliefs before and its no secret he is a racist. Its about time his employeers recognize what he promotes and take a stand if they are not comfortable with that. However, he has every right to spurt any kind of trash he wishes and its the publics right and not to hire him or listen to him if they choose not too. IF there is a bigots are us radio station out there who would like to hire him then I say that is fine. It is also fine for me to never listen to such a station. The man is aplogizing to do damage control not because these are not his views. His 40 years of air play make it clear these are his views. Its time he realize that the public has every right to choose not to listen to them and the mainline media has every right to not hire him. Freedom of speech is wonderful in that it also alows us freedom to not listen.

mjak

Hmmm... I don't know that he's a racist, or if he's massively insensitive or trying to be cool somehow when he uses terms like n.h.h. If he's a racist, he certainly went outside his comfort zone when he endorsed Harold Ford Jr.

I do not think he's a racist- just rude, crude, insensitive and insulated.

mjak

mjak, I think it's only naive if one supposes that mere wishing will make it so.

That's NOT at all what you said. I share your hope.

As for whites becoming a minority, in and of itself, so what? If non-whites come to treat whites as whites have treated non-whites in the past, then that will certainly be something to protest.

mjak

I agree. He got what he has long deserved, just like the other Howard Stern!

I didn't know we were even bickering. I'm sorry. Just so you know, just because a white person is...white...doesn't mean that they have not experienced discrimination.

ETA: This really goes for everyone...for every race there is. I'm sure everyone has been discriminated against in some fashion. Their looks. Their education. Their weight. You name it.

You are picking apart everything I write. I never said a white person hasn't experienced discrimination. IMO racial discrimination is quite a bit different than the other forms of discrimination you listed.

mjak

mjak, if you don't mind, I'd be proud to be naive right along side you. :)
I so hope this country gets to the point where skin color doesn't matter. It SHOULDN'T ever define the human being under that skin. As Americans, why must we refer to ourselves as minority or majority anyway? Being multi-racial, and multi-cultural myself, I'll be standing with all the other "naive" people. :laugh: My family reunions are often mistaken for a company picnic.

CBS just fired him, which ends his show.

That's going too far. The suspension was enough. No more free speech, I guess. Back in the old days, you turned the dial off if you didn't like what someone said. Now you have to have them fired.

May the Constitution RIP. Jackson and Sharpton must be too busy censoring Imus to issue an apology to the Duke LAX players......

ETA: I guarantee he will end up with a satellite radio show before long, where no one can touch him for what he says.

I agree with you; I think people should get a second chance if they are remorseful and apologize. (just like Miss USA! lol). Look at Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe - they're on their 3rd and 4th "mistakes" by now, and they're not even talk-show hosts.

As Cal pointed out, it may just be the advertising support.

It could be that another network will pick him up; who knows.

Also, look a Isaiah Washington, the dude from Grey's Anatomy who used the gay slur...How many people were calling for his firing?
But did he get fired? Oh no, can't do that, he's black! That would be racist to fire him!

Also, look a Isaiah Washington, the dude from Grey's Anatomy who used the gay slur...How many people were calling for his firing?
But did he get fired? Oh no, can't do that, he's black! That would be racist to fire him!

You really think Isaiah Washington didn't get fired because he was black? He is on a hit show in one of their top story lines - that is why he didn't get fired. Additionally, there are still behind the scenes whispers that he may get written off.

Total BS!! Where are Rev Al and Jesse when it comes to the lying stripper and the Duke LAX team??? Hypocrites!!

Yes, that's my question also. Didn't Rev's Sharpton and Jackson publicly throw the Duke Lacrosse players under the bus?
I think it's outrageous that Imus was fired.:hand: It's not right imo.
What more could Imus have done? He apologized, met the women and their coach and apologized some more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back