MSNBC to Imus: You're FIRED!

CBS just fired him, which ends his show.

That's going too far. The suspension was enough. No more free speech, I guess. Back in the old days, you turned the dial off if you didn't like what someone said. Now you have to have them fired.

May the Constitution RIP. Jackson and Sharpton must be too busy censoring Imus to issue an apology to the Duke LAX players......

ETA: I guarantee he will end up with a satellite radio show before long, where no one can touch him for what he says.

Come on, DK, you know this has nothing to do with the Constitution. Imus wasn't censored by any government body. Speech isn't entirely free when it is paid for by a corporate network and corporate advertisers.

I agree the firing is an overreaction, but Imus will be fine. Even if he never does another show (which I agree is unlikely), he is a very wealthy man who has had a long run.

Meanwhile, the point has been reiterated that it simply isn't okay to slur people who have long been the target of discrimination, disparagement and violence.

I agree the firing is an overreaction, but Imus will be fine. Even if he never does another show (which I agree is unlikely), he is a very wealthy man who has had a long run.

No Imus won't be fine. He's 67 years old and just got fired. He lost his retirement.He shouldn't have said what he did--- but he did what he could to correct the situation. And for the rest of his life he'll be ripped a new one because of a statement some blacks have made about their own race.

My neighors and I discussed the Imus situation a little while ago. One of them said the very thing you did.

It'll be interesting to see just how much this HURTS blacks and other minorities due what has now become an overreaction. It IS possible to go too far. They may have caused a subtle backlash. But they have the media on their side. They fan the flames as much as anyone.

No Imus won't be fine. He's 67 years old and just got fired. He lost his retirement.He shouldn't have said what he did--- but he did what he could to correct the situation. And for the rest of his life he'll be ripped a new one because of a statement some blacks have made about their own race.

He will be signed to satellite radio or another carrier within a month.

As I said, I imagine he will end up on XM or Sirius just like other shock jocks who have been fired did. (Opie and Anthony, for example.)

Society has gotten too out of hand when apologies aren't enough, anymore. It's truly a "pound of flesh" mentality. Hurt a minority's feelings, lose your right to earn a living! Yeah, that seems fair. :rolleyes:

CBS just fired him, which ends his show.

That's going too far. The suspension was enough. No more free speech, I guess. Back in the old days, you turned the dial off if you didn't like what someone said. Now you have to have them fired.

May the Constitution RIP. Jackson and Sharpton must be too busy censoring Imus to issue an apology to the Duke LAX players......

ETA: I guarantee he will end up with a satellite radio show before long, where no one can touch him for what he says.
I agree he totally screwed up. The suspension was fine with me, although I would have liked it to be longer than just two weeks. To fire him is wrong. But honestly I don't think that Jackson/Sharpton had this done, although they'll probably take the credit for it. I believe his firing came down to the CBS/MSNBC sponsors of his broadcasts. Bottomline, it was about the money! No paying sponsors, the networks can't pay their bills. Imus was not worth them getting their electricity turned of..JMO. Imus has alway been rude and crude, but in this case, he took things too far. What he said was no joke, it was an attack that was way out of line. And yeah...why aren't Sharpton/Jackson saying anything about the lyin' *advertiser censored* from Duke? She ruined those boys.

You really think Isaiah Washington didn't get fired because he was black? He is on a hit show in one of their top story lines - that is why he didn't get fired. Additionally, there are still behind the scenes whispers that he may get written off.

I do think, IMO, that had he been fired, the race card would have NO DOUBT been played, maybe not by Isaiah himself, but you can bet your $ that others would be saying that was the reason why.
Anytime something goes wrong for a black person in this world the race card comes out. IMO

I'm not a gambler but just this once I'd bet any amt. of money that there will be no apology from Sharpton/Jackson to the Duke players, and furthermore I want to know if the stripper herself has apologized?

I do think, IMO, that had he been fired, the race card would have NO DOUBT been played, maybe not by Isaiah himself, but you can bet your $ that others would be saying that was the reason why.
Anytime something goes wrong for a black person in this world the race card comes out. IMO
:banghead: :banghead: Why? That's wrong also.

Someone else has been fired...

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — A radio station fired its longtime morning DJ Wednesday after he encouraged listeners to repeat talk-show host Don Imus' racially charged comments in an on-air contest.
Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.
Musselman said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.
Station management reviewed a tape of the broadcast of the "Gary in the Morning" show and fired Smith, Musselman said.
Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."
The nationally syndicated Imus was suspended for two weeks by CBS Radio and MSNBC after he called members of the mostly black Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." Civil rights groups have demanded his firing. (more at link)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265422,00.html

Dark Knight:
"Society has gotten too out of hand when apologies aren't enough, anymore. It's truly a "pound of flesh" mentality. Hurt a minority's feelings, lose your right to earn a living! Yeah, that seems fair. ":rolleyes:[/quote]

That's the best quote I've seen about this situation yet! :clap:

Dark Knight:
"Society has gotten too out of hand when apologies aren't enough, anymore. It's truly a "pound of flesh" mentality. Hurt a minority's feelings, lose your right to earn a living! Yeah, that seems fair. ":rolleyes:

That's the best quote I've seen about this situation yet! :clap:[/quote]

Actually, a white man made the decision to fire Imus.

All I can say is DOUBLE STANDARD!!!! I am not an Imus fan nor do I listen to him but, I but if he had said something about them being dumb blondes there would be no issue here.

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — A radio station fired its longtime morning DJ Wednesday after he encouraged listeners to repeat talk-show host Don Imus' racially charged comments in an on-air contest.
Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.
Musselman said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.
Station management reviewed a tape of the broadcast of the "Gary in the Morning" show and fired Smith, Musselman said.
Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."
The nationally syndicated Imus was suspended for two weeks by CBS Radio and MSNBC after he called members of the mostly black Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." Civil rights groups have demanded his firing. (more at link)
Now that's wrong!!

That's the best quote I've seen about this situation yet! :clap:
Actually, a white man made the decision to fire Imus.
It was more than one...the heads of P&G, Staples, etc had very important input into this decision...MONEY!!!

He lost his "retirement"? The man is a multi-millionaire. I don't think he's worrying about his "lost" pension.

Personally, I wouldn't have fired him for this. I think the apology and suspension were sufficient.

But the outrage on this and similar threads is very odd.

A friend of mine was a teacher at an inner-city, predominantly black and Latino school in L.A. He worked for a year to get a corporation to donate computers so the kids--almost all of whom came from homes without computers--could learn to use them. When the donation was finally secured, the school had to turn it down. Because there were no tables on which to place the machines and the floors were flooded so often, it wasn't safe to keep electronic equipment there.

That's the sort of thing that outrages me.

I'm not a gambler but just this once I'd bet any amt. of money that there will be no apology from Sharpton/Jackson to the Duke players, and furthermore I want to know if the stripper herself has apologized?
Couldnt agree with you more. I bet if that stripper had been white and the players african american shed be under a jail by now...

See this is getting out of hand. What about the BET channel that is way more degrading than the term NHH.
And what astounds me is all the outrage over this and none over that stripper accusing men of gangrape. This country is totally messed up.
NHH is nothing compared to being called and branded a rapist.:banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back