GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The temperature is back in the 50s today so I decided to experiment with digging. Using various shovels in a bare field I was able to dig a couple inches easily. Then the ground is very solid. With a shovel I could only make small chips in the frozen ground. Using a pick I could make bigger dents in the ground but I still was not accomplishing much. So based on my completely unscientific experiment I concluded that they probably could have buried her in the ground but they would have had to work very hard, and it probably would have taken quite a while.

Thanks for conducting your experiments, ED and Jacie Estes!

It may be helpful if Sherry wasn't buried deep in the ground...it may possibly be easier to find her.

The down side is.... she would not be protected from natural elements, and therefore she might not be easy to find if she isn't found soon.

FBI: No connection between Arnold case, oil field worker's death

A spokeswoman for the FBI said Wednesday that authorities are not aware of any connection between the abduction of Sidney school teacher Sherry Arnold and the suspicious death of an oil field worker.

The body of 49-year-old Brian Doyle was found Jan. 20 in a ditch along U.S. Highway 2 near Bainville.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...071-538d-9ba8-3e894f1a6f37.html#ixzz1kWwnQocZ

FBI: No connection between Arnold case, oil field worker's death

A spokeswoman for the FBI said Wednesday that authorities are not aware of any connection between the abduction of Sidney school teacher Sherry Arnold and the suspicious death of an oil field worker.

The body of 49-year-old Brian Doyle was found Jan. 20 in a ditch along U.S. Highway 2 near Bainville.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...071-538d-9ba8-3e894f1a6f37.html#ixzz1kWwnQocZ

That may be so but odd that he was an oilfield worker and these guys moving from one boomtown (Parachute) to another (Williston) is an indicator they're most likely oilpatch workers or one sort or another. Plus he and Waters were both from Florida and about the same age. Not to mention the death/disappearances took place in an area that is not all that accustomed to these sort of things happening. It's not like a big city. Probably not related like FBI said but sure is ODD....

That may be so but odd that he was an oilfield worker and these guys moving from one boomtown (Parachute) to another (Williston) is an indicator they're most likely oilpatch workers or one sort or another. Plus he and Waters were both from Florida and about the same age. Not to mention the death/disappearances took place in an area that is not all that accustomed to these sort of things happening. It's not like a big city. Probably not related like FBI said but sure is ODD....

Did a search on the net for Florida, a 49 year old Brian Doyle. Does anyone else think it is suspicious that he has also resided in Sebastian, FL (2010)? Was Waters not from there as well?

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Brian-L-Doyle/Wabasso-FL/16udgeh

Could you have skimmed the sod off the ground?

I'm thinking if they found a natural dip in the ground and were able to skim the sod off the ground, they could put her in the hollow, cover her with the sod and call it done.

That is the same method I've read of in literally dozens of cases where the perpetrator said they buried the victim in a shallow grave. I am certain you know that is not deep enough to prevent predation but there are an amazing number of people who don't have the faintest grasp of natural animal behaviour.

I swear, I would not be surprised if someone told me that steaks are manufactured in factories. In China.

I didn't even try. I had been working on the yard all day today and my lawn is as solid as a parking lot. A couple of weeks ago, before the cold snap, I had tried to drive stakes in the alfalfa field in front of the house. I got them in a couple inches and could go no farther.

Yes...I know ALL about those waffles in a box! My poor daughter was practically RAISED on them, since I could pop them in the toaster in the a.m., and she could eat them in the car as I drove her and me to the same school I taught at, and the school she attended! I haven't asked her, but I haven't witnessed her eating any since those days! (Tee! Hee!)

Yes, the post number WAS brought to my attention, thank goodness. I quickly submitted another post so that I wasn't tempting fate...or something else???? :furious: :dervish:

When I registered my Explorer for the first time i was given a license plate with 666 as the plate number. It was something like BG666.

I went to the DMV and said NO WAY. The man was really rude and insisted that I had to accept that plate number. He said it was random and he had no choice and could not change it. TOO BAD, I said. I am not putting it on my car. My son was very sad because he was 17 and was dying to drive around with 666 on his plates.

Anyway I was stubborn, refused to accept the plate and a supervisor was called. She took one look, said ' no problem' and exchanged it immediately.

Thanks for conducting your experiments, ED and Jacie Estes!

It may be helpful if Sherry wasn't buried deep in the ground...it may possibly be easier to find her.

The down side is.... she would not be protected from natural elements, and therefore she might not be easy to find if she isn't found soon.

It was so nice I was sitting on the deck in shorts and a t-shirt and then realized that the yard was turning into a swimming pool. :) That got me curious.

I thought there was a post awhile back that said this guy had been seen alive in a bar on 12 January, which was the day before Waters had been arrested in Williston and while Spell was being questioned in Rapid City?

I suppose it's possible that Waters had some connection but I don't see any way for Spell to be connected.

I think this guy just reflects the migration of workers in the current economy. Lots of people looking for a way or a place to get by. A bit like the Great Depression.

Could you have skimmed the sod off the ground?

I'm thinking if they found a natural dip in the ground and were able to skim the sod off the ground, they could put her in the hollow, cover her with the sod and call it done.

That is the same method I've read of in literally dozens of cases where the perpetrator said they buried the victim in a shallow grave. I am certain you know that is not deep enough to prevent predation but there are an amazing number of people who don't have the faintest grasp of natural animal behaviour.

I swear, I would not be surprised if someone told me that steaks are manufactured in factories. In China.

I think that's something we've skimmed over before and its a horrifying reality to think about when we suspect someone's remains have been placed out in the elements. Its just one more thing that decreases the odd that Sherry will ever be found.

But since you brought up that there are many cases where victims are discovered in a shallow graves, if those remains were not scattered by animals there is the possibility that Sherry's remains won't be disturbed.

And I always make sure my steaks are manufactured right here in America. :)

Hope we here some good news tomorrow! Thanks to all the locals who are chiming in and experimenting!

It absolutely blows my mind that they cannot find her body. This reminds me how difficult it can be to find a body and to keep that in mind with other cases that frustrate me. I guess there are many places to hide and one body is very small and easily concealed in comparison to the vast open spaces of our world :( Praying for a quick resolution for her and her family.

What really chaps my butt is that the guys who disposed of her body are in custody. You know if they said, "Ok, guys, you have 48 hours to lead us to her body or tell us exactly where it is or it's CURTAINS for you," they'd find it pretty darn quick.

There is just no motivation for revealing it (and possibly a great deal of motivation not to, like evidence of sexual assault on both their parts), so they won't. They're just sitting there on their secret. GRRRRRRR!

I think the only way the body will be found at this point is either accidentally or if one of them believes that rolling over on the other will benefit them more that finding the body will hurt them. I used to live in Montana -- it is just so, so, so huge and unpopulated.

Is Parachute a boom town? It's been about 10 years since I've been through there.

It's been 4 or 5 since I've been through there. Stats say that there has been a 28% increase in pop. since 2000 census. I do remember alot of 'company trucks, so there may be some kind of oil boom. Way more of those trucks than personal cars. Of 1288 people in the town, 11 of them are registered sex offenders.

Population in July 2009: 1,288. Population change since 2000: +28.0%
Males: 646 (50.2%)
Females: 642 (49.8%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Parachute-Colorado.html#ixzz1kbtcpQk7
According to our research there were 11 registered sex offenders living in Parachute, Colorado in July 2011
The ratio of number of residents in Parachute to the number of sex offenders is 117 to 1.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Parachute-Colorado.html#ixzz1kbt9APU2

If it weren't for the description LE has given regarding where to look, I would agree. I don't know what they are basing it on, and while it is a common description of property up there in that region of the country, it is a specific description that does rule out other places the suspects could have hidden Sherry.

I don't see LE giving a description like that unless they had very good information to back it up.

I keep thinking she is buried right under their nose, close to where her shoe was found. The lady who went missing in Buckhead, GA at Christmas and they found her car running along a road, they searched and did not find then last week someone found her under a tree, dead. It was right close to where her car was found running.

It absolutely blows my mind that they cannot find her body. This reminds me how difficult it can be to find a body and to keep that in mind with other cases that frustrate me. I guess there are many places to hide and one body is very small and easily concealed in comparison to the vast open spaces of our world :( Praying for a quick resolution for her and her family.

Many years ago, I had a chance to watch the training course for beginners held by my local SAR dog group.

The very first day, no dogs, just handlers. It was held next to a soybean field. For those of you who don't know soybeans, they only grow about thigh high at full height; these beans weren't fully grown, only about calf high.

The instructor said he'd hidden a duffle bag stuffed with blankets in the field and our job was to find it--without dogs!

Well, we stumbled around for 45 minutes and never found the target. Then the instructor got out his certified SAR dog and the dog found it within five minutes. It had been hidden in a subtle swale and wasn't visible from the two edges of the field that we'd started from.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for how much a human really can't see, even in a field that doesn't seem to offer any cover at all.

Today in the Billings Gazette I read: The FBI says "based on investigative evidence gathered over the last few days, it is believed that Ms. Arnold may be deceased." The FBI says her body has not been recovered.The way that was worded made me think they may have more information about where she is at.This article was written TODAY so that means they have gathered info over the last few days they aren't telling us; why so dang many secrets??

What really chaps my butt is that the guys who disposed of her body are in custody. You know if they said, "Ok, guys, you have 48 hours to lead us to her body or tell us exactly where it is or it's CURTAINS for you," they'd find it pretty darn quick.

There is just no motivation for revealing it (and possibly a great deal of motivation not to, like evidence of sexual assault on both their parts), so they won't. They're just sitting there on their secret. GRRRRRRR!

I think the only way the body will be found at this point is either accidentally or if one of them believes that rolling over on the other will benefit them more that finding the body will hurt them. I used to live in Montana -- it is just so, so, so huge and unpopulated.

It's not just Montana..seems like this country must be covered with the remains of the missing sometimes...they all have to be somewhere...

The local news repeated the same general description that they released almost two weeks ago. She may be in or near a shelter belt or might be in a farm yard under "matted grass." Everyone's perceptions are different. To me, the descriptions seem rather vague. Since the information is no different than two weeks ago I am going to guess that the suspects are not talking. Since it is either shelter belts or abandoned farmsteads, I see that as in indication that their information may have come from a third party, perhaps whoever gave them the tip on these guys.

It was 10 or 15 years ago that an elderly man left either Watford City or Alexander, I can not remember which, for a drive to Williston. He never made it and has never been seen again. Man and car both vanished. Thirty years ago Barb Cotton vanished off a street in Williston. She has never been found (she has a thread on here somewhere). When Barb went missing I spent a lot of time driving and walking the woods, fields, and shelterbelts southwest of Williston. I had no real reason to search there, just a gut feeling that it is a very good place to hide a body.

On the other hand, Gary Ridgway was told that if he didn't cooperate in finding his victims, the prosecutor would seek out the death penalty. Yet Ridgway was not successful in finding all his victims and couldn't even remember which victims he took to which dump sites. His deal was contingent upon the prosecutor being willing to assure the judge that the prosecutor believed that Ridgway had done his utmost to cooperate.

Even though he wasn't able to locate all his victims, the prosecutor did believe he had done his utmost to cooperate.

I will note that, according to several different source, Ridgway is not the brightest bulb on the string. Ann Rule quoted one of the LE officers who was guarding Ridgway during the search for victims as saying something along the lines of "Ridgway was the idiot savant of serial killing."

Waters and Spell frankly strike me as not particularly bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015