GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than bury or leave Sherry nearby, I think instinct would have made these two drive far away from the scene of the "encounter" with Sherry, to put distance between them and the area from which she was taken. JMO

The FBI actually did sent out the same news release again.

I am seeing several places where the FBI has repeated it's request for assistance from landowners.

http://www.willistonherald.com/news...cle_cd7d5358-483d-11e1-84cc-001871e3ce6c.html

Arnold disappeared Jan. 7 from Sidney, Mont. and is presumed dead. Her body has not been recovered.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_291e5458-3d6c-5238-81c1-9a9bb1304b09.html

That is entirely different than the statement originally issued.
It would only create confusion to release the exact same statement again.
If the FBI did that and it wasn't a media error, that was irresponsible on the part of the FBI.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/ar...inding-Sidney-teacher-s-body?odyssey=nav|head

January 15 -

A news release distributed by the FBI on Sunday said, “Based on investigative evidence gathered over the last few days, it is believed that Ms. Arnold may be deceased; her body has not been recovered.”

A district court official in Garfield County, Colo., said Thursday, citing court documents, that Spell got permission to leave the state from a county district judge on Jan. 5. Spell was facing an arraignment on a felony charge of soliciting a minor to help him sell marijuana to young school children via cell phone text messages. Through his court-appointed attorney, Tina Fang, Spell told the judge on Jan. 5 he needed to go to Texas because his brother had been in an accident there.

Source

Would he have been allowed to keep his cell or get another?

This article says that the incident occurred in 2009:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mont-kidnapping-suspect-tex-15395426#.TyMh2WB77kk
Spell had been scheduled to be arraigned in Garfield County next week on charges that he tried to persuade a middle school student in 2009 to text fellow students and ask them if they wanted to buy marijuana.

He was free on $500 bond in that case. Prosecutors in Garfield County didn't object to his request to leave the state.

The article you cited doesn't include that detail, however I noticed they have Waters' first name as Lester. I wonder if that is another alias.
http://www.twincities.com/ci_19782628?source=most_viewed
Leslie Waters Jr., 47, and Michael Spell, 22, remain in a Williston jail, fighting extradition to face aggravated kidnapping charges, a crime that carries a maximum penalty of death in Montana.

It's been speculated that they are not very intelligent. Kidnapping someone off the street without any planning seems like a thing a stupid person would do, but a lot of smart criminals have done that too. They both have criminal records of crimes which should have had them locked up, yet they both managed to work the system.

Until we learn more details all we can do is make guesses.

SBM

I agree that it's all guesses here right now.

As for Waters, I don't think he worked the system. Or at least, not very successfully. He's put in three stints in prison in Florida. I think the reason he hasn't put in more is that, aside from the 3 hit and runs, his crimes were basically non-violent. Florida has a prison overcrowding problem, so as long as the perp isn't violent, they are less likely to actually serve time in prison. Florida does not have early release due to overcrowding, so judges are more cautious in sentencing.

The reason I think Waters is not too bright is that he had more arrests for driving with a suspended licence or driving without a license than I cared to count. It isn't that difficult to drive so that you don't attract LE attention!

I believe that moderators have requested all Harry Oakes posts go into the thread in the Parking Lot.

I won't be commenting on HO's suggestions.

ETA: Okay, I have to say I am completely disgusted that he has started a blog in Sherry Arnold's name. I'm sure that the human vultures are circling the Arnold family right now and I am so sorry they have to deal with that in this time of grief.

A district court official in Garfield County, Colo., said Thursday, citing court documents, that Spell got permission to leave the state from a county district judge on Jan. 5. Spell was facing an arraignment on a felony charge of soliciting a minor to help him sell marijuana to young school children via cell phone text messages. Through his court-appointed attorney, Tina Fang, Spell told the judge on Jan. 5 he needed to go to Texas because his brother had been in an accident there.

Source

Would he have been allowed to keep his cell or get another?

His cell phone would be confiscated as evidence.

I don't know how anyone could prevent him from getting another cell phone, particularly a pay-as-you-go one, unless he were imprisoned.

I believe that moderators have requested all Harry Oakes posts go into the thread in the Parking Lot.

I won't be commenting on HO's suggestions.

ETA: Okay, I have to say I am completely disgusted that he has started a blog in Sherry Arnold's name. I'm sure that the human vultures are circling the Arnold family right now and I am so sorry they have to deal with that in this time of grief.

The worst part is, these families that do not follow missing person cases will not know a vulture from someone just trying to help. They will not know the backgrounds of some of these people. Their false claims, etc. :banghead:

The local news repeated the same general description that they released almost two weeks ago. She may be in or near a shelter belt or might be in a farm yard under "matted grass." Everyone's perceptions are different. To me, the descriptions seem rather vague. Since the information is no different than two weeks ago I am going to guess that the suspects are not talking. Since it is either shelter belts or abandoned farmsteads, I see that as in indication that their information may have come from a third party, perhaps whoever gave them the tip on these guys.

If there was a witness who saw them I do not think they would still be wondering where her body is. LE states that a tip lead them to Waters and Spell. That came almost a week after she vanished. The possible body location as given by LE is not specific. She might be in a shelter belt or she might be buried in a farmstead. At this point my guess is that one of them said something to a third party, who then contacted LE.

I agree with what you are saying in the second post, I don't think that there was a witness. But in your original post it sounds like you're saying that LE may have received the description of the burial site from a third party. Isn't a third party a witness?

I agree with what you are saying in the second post, I don't think that there was a witness. But in your original post it sounds like you're saying that LE may have received the description of the burial site from a third party. Isn't a third party a witness?

Yes, he or she may be. Witnesses come in many forms. I should have been more specific and used the term "eye witness." The person may not have seen anyone commit a crime or dispose of a body. It could be someone who overheard them talking about the crime, perhaps one of them got drunk or otherwise messed up and told someone about it. Or many other possibilities.

I think a third party could be Spell's family member; I still think he called home for help, either from Rapid or before he went there.

When I registered my Explorer for the first time i was given a license plate with 666 as the plate number. It was something like BG666.

I went to the DMV and said NO WAY. The man was really rude and insisted that I had to accept that plate number. He said it was random and he had no choice and could not change it. TOO BAD, I said. I am not putting it on my car. My son was very sad because he was 17 and was dying to drive around with 666 on his plates.

Anyway I was stubborn, refused to accept the plate and a supervisor was called. She took one look, said ' no problem' and exchanged it immediately.

I love ironies, jokes, and play on words and numbers...but I agree with you...I could/would NOT have accepted 666 on my license plates!

As it turns out...I have 5SON--- on my license plate now, and I love it because it reminds me of "Son of God". Just the opposite of your experience! Tee! Hee! :seeya:

I think that's something we've skimmed over before and its a horrifying reality to think about when we suspect someone's remains have been placed out in the elements. Its just one more thing that decreases the odd that Sherry will ever be found.

But since you brought up that there are many cases where victims are discovered in a shallow graves, if those remains were not scattered by animals there is the possibility that Sherry's remains won't be disturbed.

And I always make sure my steaks are manufactured right here in America. :)

Hope we here some good news tomorrow! Thanks to all the locals who are chiming in and experimenting!

BBM
:floorlaugh::great::floorlaugh:

snipped by WS automatically :)

This article says that the incident occurred in 2009:

The article you cited doesn't include that detail, however I noticed they have Waters' first name as Lester. I wonder if that is another alias.

The aliases for Waters (as listed on his mug shot):

• LARRY CHAPMAN
  • LESTER WATER
  • LES WATERS
  • LESTER WATERS
  • LESTER V WATERS
  • LESTER V WATERS JR
  • LESTER VAN WATERS
  • LESTER VAN WATERS JR
  • LESTER VANN WATERS
  • LESTER VANN WATERS JR
  • LESTER,V. WATERS
  • LESTER WEST

Hi everyone, long time lurker jumping in with what might be a puzzle piece....possibly not a piece of Sherry Arnold's puzzle. Time will reveal more.

Sheriff Freedom Crawford has announced that, Charles Bowman Bowen, a 46-year-old Florida man has been arrested and charged with Negligent Homicide in regards to the death of Brian Doyle. Doyle’s body was found in the ditch along US Highway 2 near the town of Bainville on Jan. 20.

http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/2012/01/28/news/breaking_news/doc4f24295b294ae392176887.txt

http://www.ktvq.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-homicide-near-bainville/

It appears Mr. Bowen has some history with law enforcement:

http://www.bustedmugshots.com/florida/jensen-beach/charles-bowman-bowen/41449721

Just pondering... But without a body, I wonder how serious the charges against either of these men could actually be? I have no doubt that there would be jurors hesitant to convict of anything against one, or both, without any actual physical evidence (or body). The police obviously believe they have enough to convict these men since they arrested them, but the Casey Anthony police team thought the same thing.

Maybe the confession will help in convicting one of them, but without a body it's hard to say. For instance, (and I hope not), but if they did attack and assault her before she was killed, their attorney would just advise them to say it was an accident resulting in less serious charges. Of course we have no info, so everything is just speculative. Playing devil's advocate, we don't even know if police have the right people in custody since all they can manage to say is "trust us."

Just pondering... But without a body, I wonder how serious the charges against either of these men could actually be? I have no doubt that there would be jurors hesitant to convict of anything against one, or both, without any actual physical evidence (or body). The police obviously believe they have enough to convict these men since they arrested them, but the Casey Anthony police team thought the same thing.

Maybe the confession will help in convicting one of them, but without a body it's hard to say. For instance, (and I hope not), but if they did attack and assault her before she was killed, their attorney would just advise them to say it was an accident resulting in less serious charges. Of course we have no info, so everything is just speculative. Playing devil's advocate, we don't even know if police have the right people in custody since all they can manage to say is "trust us."

LE has stated that they have evidence. We will probably have to wait until the extradition hearing to find out what that evidence is.

When Dru Sjodin was kidnapped in Grand Forks ND in November 2003 Alphonso Rodriguez was arrested about a week later in MN. Her body was not found until mid April of the following spring. LE had enough evidence on him that they felt they could prosecute even without the body. (Trivia: The former US Attorney, Drew Wrigley, who put Rodriguez on death row is now ND's Lt. Governor) Neither ND or MN have capitol punishment however the evidence indicated that she was kidnapped in ND and killed in MN, thus making it a Federal capitol offense.

Believe it or not.... some perps don't get convicted even when there IS a body. So not having the body is not going to matter IF they have a confession and enough evidence that ties them to the murder. She will be found someday, hopefully.
I hope they find her, not only to help in the prosecution of the crime but to give her family some kind of peace of mind. When a loved one is taken from you, it's very hard to mourn until they are laid to rest.

snipped by WS automatically :)

The aliases for Waters (as listed on his mug shot):

• LARRY CHAPMAN
  • LESTER WATER
  • LES WATERS
  • LESTER WATERS
  • LESTER V WATERS
  • LESTER V WATERS JR
  • LESTER VAN WATERS
  • LESTER VAN WATERS JR
  • LESTER VANN WATERS
  • LESTER VANN WATERS JR
  • LESTER,V. WATERS
  • LESTER WEST

A few of these are not really aliases... just variations of the same name. Like Les Waters, Lester Waters, or Lester V. Waters.
Or if someone else wrote out his name, and used two n's in his middle name.
I sign my own name in various ways, my first name, middle initial and last name, just my first and last names, or first and middle initials and last name, for instance. Is that considered aliases?? Or "AKA?"
The name Larry Chapman sounds familiar to me, for some reason.

As long as any confession holds up and doesn't get thrown out...no prosecutor likes to count on a confession if the suspects also plead "not guilty". JMO

I have a feeling that her body may not be found until spring. I believe that the FBI would not have jumped on these men without pretty strong evidence. I just feel like this case will not go unpunished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann