Munchausen Syndrome by Internet.

Ohhh. One of the sites I have been a member of for over 9 years was recently hit by this.

There was someone claiming to be a 16 teen yo girl with stage 4 bone cancer. What this person was doing was taking actual updates from the real cancer girls mom's facebook page and then embelleshing extra. It went on for several months.

We found out when she stupidly posted a link that had the real cancer girls last name in it, and thru sleuthing! we found her mom's facebook page. Also there were some other little things like fake cancer girl said she hated justin beiber, but the real girl had her coverpic as him.

Further, the guy she was texting with was kinda dim in believing her stories about why she had a WISCONSIN phone number when she was supposedly living in dayton, ohio, then had to move to seattle for a special cancer treatment.

This is the 'outing her' journal: http://www.youthink.com/forum.cfm?clss=1&action=read&forum_id=6&q_id=3089748&archive=1

This was her profile: http://www.youthink.com/oancu

The mods deleted all her journals though, bc real cancer girls mom came and because people from there were messaging her on FB and they got upset b/c fake girl had taken tons of pics and used them, so everything was deleted.

Having been on the internet forever, I have to say there are no sites worse trolled than support groups for pregnant women/women trying to conceive, referred to as TTC.

Oh my gosh. Women who want to be pregnant but aren't are really some of the most incredibly destructive people on the planet.

I'd be willing to help any woman who wants to be pregnant but can't. In fact I'd be willing to work overtime to help her. :innocent:

We have had a few people who claimed to be missing children. That is one of the worst imvho.

That is. I hope none of these real kids families found out about this and thought their kid was still alive. :furious:

I have seen numerous cases of this and been blindsided. The worst is Emily McDonald though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-years-smearing-faeces-sick-daughters-IV.html

I was very active on Livejournal back then as was she, I was one of the many who supported her and little Dakota. I even sent her meds to help boost her milk supply. I was just gobsmacked at what eventuated.

What you did was true from your heart. You bear no responsibility for this. You can't tell the future or read minds. None of us can.

Having been on the internet forever, I have to say there are no sites worse trolled than support groups for pregnant women/women trying to conceive, referred to as TTC.

Oh my gosh. Women who want to be pregnant but aren't are really some of the most incredibly destructive people on the planet.

I can say from first hand knowledge, that really wanting a baby and not being able to conceive, is very traumatic for some women.
I know some lose all sense of reality.

I came (this close) to losing my mind after years of trying to have a child. It's a desperation like no other I've ever felt.

God blessed me with a daughter after I let go and let God.

But I really feel for couples with fertility issues. It's horrible.

JMO

Yes Steely, families have been through the ringer when contacted by these folks. If you are out on a public board claiming to be a missing child, sooner or later you will come across the radar of either family or LE.

Even though I've witnessed these things a few times, it always makes me wonder...who has time to do this making up a whole existence?? it blows my mind.

There was a girl that stole pictures of a little pageant girl and claimed she was her own. Since then, she's also been found Photoshopping her own self into other peoples photos. I'm talking wedding pictures, celebrity photos, etc. Funny she uses the exact same photo of herself each time. the wedding photos were from a tiny, wisp of a gorgeous Asian woman....but her face was replaced via Photoshop with the rather large imposters face.

I'm thinking this woman is so confused herself, she has no idea who she is or what life she actually has anymore.

people never cease to amaze me.

Babycenter was rife with this crap.

Each of my children's birth boards had at least 3 scammers. They were all about babies dying.. it was sooo traumatic for those of us who had just had our babies to hear of another woman's baby dying... I spent more nights than i care to admit crying over fake baby deaths :(
To be fair.. there really were some SID deaths, but those parents always posted the obituaries.

I can say from first hand knowledge, that really wanting a baby and not being able to conceive, is very traumatic for some women.
I know some lose all sense of reality.

I came (this close) to losing my mind after years of trying to have a child. It's a desperation like no other I've ever felt.

God blessed me with a daughter after I let go and let God.

But I really feel for couples with fertility issues. It's horrible.

JMO

I hear ya, sister. I, too, have one beautiful, healthy daughter. But we went through years of infertility and I was a regular on the TTC boards.

The longing and pain are palpable but I suppose I was lucky enough not to have "dropped my basket" and started posting cray cray on Babycenter. :eek:

Each of my children's birth boards had at least 3 scammers. They were all about babies dying.. it was sooo traumatic for those of us who had just had our babies to hear of another woman's baby dying... I spent more nights than i care to admit crying over fake baby deaths :(
To be fair.. there really were some SID deaths, but those parents always posted the obituaries.

When I worked for the hospital I was responsible for keeping the ED stocked with drugs. I'd go in at 7am and the ED would be almost completely empty, most days. So I'd zip from one room to another very quickly to write up the order. One morning I rushed into a room I thought was empty to find a couple crying over a dead baby. I will never, ever forget that. I backed out slowly and I don't think they saw me. At least I hope they didn't.

Don't worry about crying over fake things. It shows how good you are emotionally and how evil they are. JMO

For webslueths based hoaxes the user "dalles" was banned for that, i think. I think he wrote a book and made up the story then came here and was talking about it in this thread: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33687&page=6 and at some point it was found to not be true. I think. I creep in old threads, and I read thru that one shortly after I joined, so it's been awhile.

I used IVillage when I was TTC, (did get some good information there), but in their chat room was an EMT who hogged the chat room for over an hour claiming symptoms of a heart attack, yet refusing to call 911 for themselves...:what::what::what:
This experience has made me leary of the prayer threads here.

Munchausen Syndrome and Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP)
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/munchaus.htm

Munchausen Syndrome is an attention-seeking personality disorder which is more common than statistics suggest. Munchausen Syndrome, named after a German soldier renowned for exaggerated tales, is a predominantly female disorder in which an emotionally immature person with narcissistic tendencies, low self-esteem and a fragile ego has an overwhelming need to draw attention to herself and to be the centre of attention.

In Munchausen Syndrome, this is achieved by capitalising on, exploiting, exaggerating or feigning illness or injury or personal misfortune. The opportunities for being centre of attention can be increased if feigning victimhood through alleged victimisation, isolation, exclusion or persecution is added to the equation; the Munchausen person can then depict another person (often a family member) as a victimiser or persecutor and herself as the victim. Presenting herself as a false victim is also a Munchausen trait.

In Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP), occasions for being centre of attention are created by deliberately causing illness, injury or harm to others to provide opportunities for rescue and care. Often the MSBP sufferer will work as a nurse, perhaps in a hospital ward for sick children (especially very young babies) or in a home for elderly persons, or with severely handicapped people, or as a care giver. The common thread is a victim whose is vulnerable, whose verbal skills or emotional state or mental condition prevents them from explaining what the MSBP person is doing to them and whose hold on life may already be precarious. Even if the victim survives, they cannot or will not be a witness. Because death amongst these groups occurs normally and is therefore not unusual or unexpected, her activities in causing death may escape notice for years.

Munchausen Syndrome is a form of narcissism. I could see Munchausen Syndrome as a variant of Narcissistic, Borderline, and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder. I agree it is a form of bullying. Many bullies are narcissistic.

That is messed up. Some take it really far by killing a pregnant woman. Lisa Montgomery comes to mind.

Munchausen Syndrome and Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP)
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/munchaus.htm

Munchausen Syndrome is an attention-seeking personality disorder which is more common than statistics suggest. Munchausen Syndrome, named after a German soldier renowned for exaggerated tales, is a predominantly female disorder in which an emotionally immature person with narcissistic tendencies, low self-esteem and a fragile ego has an overwhelming need to draw attention to herself and to be the centre of attention.

In Munchausen Syndrome, this is achieved by capitalising on, exploiting, exaggerating or feigning illness or injury or personal misfortune. The opportunities for being centre of attention can be increased if feigning victimhood through alleged victimisation, isolation, exclusion or persecution is added to the equation; the Munchausen person can then depict another person (often a family member) as a victimiser or persecutor and herself as the victim. Presenting herself as a false victim is also a Munchausen trait.

In Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP), occasions for being centre of attention are created by deliberately causing illness, injury or harm to others to provide opportunities for rescue and care. Often the MSBP sufferer will work as a nurse, perhaps in a hospital ward for sick children (especially very young babies) or in a home for elderly persons, or with severely handicapped people, or as a care giver. The common thread is a victim whose is vulnerable, whose verbal skills or emotional state or mental condition prevents them from explaining what the MSBP person is doing to them and whose hold on life may already be precarious. Even if the victim survives, they cannot or will not be a witness. Because death amongst these groups occurs normally and is therefore not unusual or unexpected, her activities in causing death may escape notice for years.

Munchausen Syndrome is a form of narcissism. I could see Munchausen Syndrome as a variant of Narcissistic, Borderline, and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder. I agree it is a form of bullying. Many bullies are narcissistic.

It's a disease of the mind that cry's out for attention. What's really amazing to me is that women are primarily the ones who have it. I'm just so surprised that women have diseases that cry out for attention. Huh? :waitasec:

For webslueths based hoaxes the user "dalles" was banned for that, i think. I think he wrote a book and made up the story then came here and was talking about it in this thread: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33687&page=6 and at some point it was found to not be true. I think. I creep in old threads, and I read thru that one shortly after I joined, so it's been awhile.

Wow. The guy even faked his own suicide and then logged on and posted pretending to be his sister. :what:

Wow, reading that article and all you guys' posts really makes me feel not so alone. I have crohns disease- a really severe case of it, with a bunch of other serious medical conditions. Fun, I know. Anyway, I'm not super close with my family, and I don't really know anyone in person with all of the medical stuff- especially crohns- so I felt compelled to seek solidarity online a couple of years ago. I was diagnosed eight years ago, but I just felt like I was holding all of my emotions in and felt alone, if that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I found some Munchausen mothas, to put it lightly. Some people were cool, and I still talk to them as myself on facebook- you know, not as my cat lol.

But, yeah, I joined one forum for crohns and colitis, and all the site master did was beg for money and I found out he was buying weed and designer clothes and Ipods and stuff with it. Meanwhile, here I am working part time (struggling to do that with my illnesses!) and on disability and other people can't even do that- they're struggling with just disability, struggling to pay for meds (crohns meds are - hell all meds! are expensive lol) and this douche is buying weed and Versace, while the government AND his daddy is paying for everything? Lame. Then, there was the super mentally off balance chick with crohns I met from that same site who would message me strange things on facebook. I would just kind of go "um okay, whatever." She finally left me alone after she put her cats in an animal shelter because she couldn't afford them, but could still afford cable and internet/wifi, and complained about it and money. My response was to cut the cable and internet/wifi. Read a book, watch DVD's. Go the library and keep your furry friends. She called me not nice names. I would delete her and she's make up a new profile under another name and just send me long messages with mispelled words, all about how her life was so horrible and everything. I am almost certain she made it all up. Eventually, I talked to my doctor and stopped looking for the internet for comfort about my crohns. I admit, I did go to therapy more regularly. Judge me all you want, but I have been and am in therapy. It's helping, and I speak to less crazy people now. Sorry this post is so long, but I needed to get that off my chest. Hell, I had to shut my crohns blog down too because of jerkwads! I miss my blog :(

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Wow. The guy even faked his own suicide and then logged on and posted pretending to be his sister. :what:

I think the most profound insanity associated with that person was the "peeping through the neighbors windows" pictures posted here.

Jaw dropping.

Wow, reading that article and all you guys' posts really makes me feel not so alone. I have crohns disease- a really severe case of it, with a bunch of other serious medical conditions. Fun, I know. Anyway, I'm not super close with my family, and I don't really know anyone in person with all of the medical stuff- especially crohns- so I felt compelled to seek solidarity online a couple of years ago. I was diagnosed eight years ago, but I just felt like I was holding all of my emotions in and felt alone, if that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I found some Munchausen mothas, to put it lightly. Some people were cool, and I still talk to them as myself on facebook- you know, not as my cat lol.

But, yeah, I joined one forum for crohns and colitis, and all the site master did was beg for money and I found out he was buying weed and designer clothes and Ipods and stuff with it. Meanwhile, here I am working part time (struggling to do that with my illnesses!) and on disability and other people can't even do that- they're struggling with just disability, struggling to pay for meds (crohns meds are - hell all meds! are expensive lol) and this douche is buying weed and Versace, while the government AND his daddy is paying for everything? Lame. Then, there was the super mentally off balance chick with crohns I met from that same site who would message me strange things on facebook. I would just kind of go "um okay, whatever." She finally left me alone after she put her cats in an animal shelter because she couldn't afford them, but could still afford cable and internet/wifi, and complained about it and money. My response was to cut the cable and internet/wifi. Read a book, watch DVD's. Go the library and keep your furry friends. She called me not nice names. I would delete her and she's make up a new profile under another name and just send me long messages with mispelled words, all about how her life was so horrible and everything. I am almost certain she made it all up. Eventually, I talked to my doctor and stopped looking for the internet for comfort about my crohns. I admit, I did go to therapy more regularly. Judge me all you want, but I have been and am in therapy. It's helping, and I speak to less crazy people now. Sorry this post is so long, but I needed to get that off my chest. Hell, I had to shut my crohns blog down too because of jerkwads! I miss my blog :(

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

First there is no shame in seeking therapy. I've done it and wish I could find a cheap source for it. I don't know where you live, but NYS has a lot of financial help programs.

Also, there is a thread here for people suffering from depression.

Also, I would suggest starting a thread here for people suffering from Crohns disease and I think you'll find others to talk to. This board is very well moderated and nobody should be asking for money. If they are just notify a mod and it will be taken care of. JMO

Crohns disease sucks...I've had patients who have it, and I kid you not...they suffer sooo much, and the patients tell me it's a pretty "embarrassing" disease to have. *I* don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about, though...so talk/vent away. This is an excellent site for that.

Two things.

LinusK...please don't be leary of my prayer thread...it's all true, I promise. Unfortunately, it's all true. I'm so very much looking forward to the day when I can say "I've recovered!!" and throw a party for everyone, but that's not going to be for a little while. And I have to say that the prayer thread has kept me going, through some serious pain and illnesses, when very little else could or did. Of course be judicious, but don't think I'm one of the MBP/I...I would probably choose a disease that's not quite so...erm...ah...personal as vulvar cancer. LOL.

The other thought...

It does not fail to amaze me at some of the imposters we have had on these boards. I mean, this is a board who sleuths out crimes and bad guys/girls...I mean, look at AZLawyer and JWG (who both ROCK.THE.HOUSE!)...they didn't even have to work that hard to get the info...just research records (not to take anything away...but that's part of what's so mind blistering about their discovery - it wasn't hidden. In plain sight!) and think a bit. (Again, not taking anything away from them at all...).

So how on earth does someone think they can come here, with the enormous numbers of posters from so many different walks of life, and fabricate things? And think they won't be discovered? I mean...really.

Scammers are scammers all over the world, and all over the internet. MBP is a very weird, weird illness...and those who are truly ill with it have my sympathy (yes, they do. Mental illness is a devastating thing to have). But as it's dangerous to everyone around the sufferer, it has to be caught and treated.

Internet scammers - people who prey upon those compassionate and good hearted folks - just because they can...well...they should all be beaten about the head with a dead fish. And that's just being nice.

Best-
Herding Cats

PS: Steely, you're still not getting Fred back. Period. Deal with it.

Where would I start a thread like that? I've gotten a bit better financially. My doctors have helped me a lot, I have an awesome prescription drug program that pays for most of my meds, so that's really awesome. I still do try to help others when I can. I just make sure it's people in person that I can see lol. I donate an extra dollar at Petsmart when I get my cats' food, bring extra stuff to the local no kill shelter, give things to people I know that are needy, etc. I just hate to see anyone taken advantage of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back