Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately, I've never been involved in a divorce myself. However, I am quite certain that...

a. there is legal financial disclosure of earnings as part of a settlement. She/her attorney wouldn't be operating off what he "claimed" he earned. They'd see that large bonus, assuming it is true.

b. "equitable distribution" means not that she gets what she needs to start a new household, but that she get an equitable amount (read: half or more) of his earnings.

c. not as certain, but I believe it is true that IF the earning/alimony paying spouse's financial condition improves, then the other party can re-open the settlement and get paid more. This would further protect her should he for example get a bonus deferred until after the settlement.

ETA: Based upon reading Brad Coopers affidavit, I beleive he would bend the truth.My opinion, of course.

I honestly don't know, but wouldn't financials be based upon the previous years statements/records?

You'd have to be on your own planet not to ask to see the taxes, etc. for your own family though. He may not have shared that with her.

again, I can't claim intimate knowledge of what type of tax returns a Canadian on a work visa would file. But my wife is a stay-at-home mom and she has to sign our tax returns. So she sees them. And any half-wit would at least look at the income figure.

Raisincharlie, as to Scott living by Lake Johnston, yes. Remember, he was married to Heather Metour. They are divorced. Even though Brad Cooper and Scott's wife at the time, Heather M. had an affair, Scott H. STILL is Brad's buddy and allowed Brad and the girls to stay at his (Scott's) home after Nancy's murder!! So, one could play detective and say that it's possible that Scott, being Brad's good buddy, even though Brad *$#@*'ed his ex-wife, Scott may have been a good buddy enough to help Brad out if he needed it regarding the murder, IF Brad did it...

Just another episode in Who Done It.

I just can't begin to fathom how someone, other than a criminal, could even consider helping someone with regards to murder - good buddies or not. Can't even wrap my brain around that one. That is one huge risk to take for a buddy and defintely not a good choice. But it certainly does happen. Not saying or implying it happened in this case - just that I can't even begin to imagine why someone would.

Here's something else that is niggling at me.....we know that Nancy didn't go running with Carey now for a fact and that they had no plans to go running that morning. Soooo... if Nancy really went running with someone as brad wants us to believe, wouldn't that person was have come forward and said they were with Nancy by now? I know I would if it was me running with her and I knew I was the last person to see her alive - unless of course, I killed her.

FWIW, according to the accounts from, I believe yesterday that were reporting the new affidavit by Carey Clark, the media is sure to add, "That statement does not refute Brad's statements since he has never said he was certain that Nancy went running with Clark.
He simply stated that when none of Nancy's friends knew where she was he thought she might have run with Clark."

So, the excuses for the inconsistancies have already begun, even if NOT put out by the NOT suspect.

Curious, according to statements made by JA regarding her morning conversations with Brad, he stated it to JA as if fact, that Nancy was with Carey. He then told another friend that she was out havng coffee. We'll soon hear he THOUGHT she was out having coffee after the run because she hadn't yet returned.

IMO, the EXCUSES for his words and actions will start sounding lame after we get to the 20 EXCUSE mark.:rolleyes:

JMHO
fran

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6310421

As to Nancy having "someone else", I don't know. But she would have to come up with lots of energy and time away from her girls to do that. She looked awfully tired and worn in many photos. Emotionally and physically, she probably was already on full load. Taking care of two little ones, doing the laundry, cooking, household work, having a social life, painting walls (her own/friends) and getting a home ready to sell...think about it. Plus she had Crohn's. She was focused on getting the heck back to Canada some day. Or, getting her citizenship here and making a life here some day. Now if she could and wanted to get into a relationship on top of all that and Brad's lovely treatment of her...she would have to have a battery re-charger for her life!

I'm holding out for the big day when we all know the truth, but I'll still speculate.

was brad a salaried staff employee of cisco or an independant contractor who worked out of the cisco office (like microsoft employees) who file 1099s?

for independent contractors, the aim is to lower the taxed figure by claiming
legal, legitimate deductions.

maybe brad's tax return reflected that.
maybe he hid money in offshore accounts.
$285,000 is a very hefty bonus.

did that come in december the year that he threatened suicide? maybe he felt like he didn't want to give up half that bonus in a divorce.

he may have started moving around to conceal from nancy after there was mention of divorce.

I'm just having problems wrapping my head around IF there was all this bonus money in the "budget".........WHY does it seem like Brad is crying poor in his affiidavit?

i think one of the cruelest things brad did to nancy was have her pack up the house in a hurry, say "Get the $%^ out of my house!" and then call the whole thing off 2 days before the move. (see affidavits)

that is a major mindscrew.

Oh, duh 2Daughters. I totally did not think that yes, she'd have to sign the tax form.

In my post, #19, by Scott helping Brad out...I meant AFTER the murder, assuming Brad did it. Scott could've helped Brad in other ways than having Brad and the girls staying over at his house after the murder. He did help Brad by giving him a place for him and the girls to stay.

I'm just having problems wrapping my head around IF there was all this bonus money in the "budget".........WHY does it seem like Brad is crying poor in his affiidavit?

'cause nancy bought $200 jeans, snowshuze!

I think the bonus is overstated, but the salary sounds about right. He also likely has a decent amount of stock options if he has not exercised them - although many are probably underwater now - now the OPTIONS may have been issued for the $285K or whatever someone called out vesting over x years, etc., but I don't see a bonus of that size. IIRC, he was to retain the stock options in the proposed settlement agreement.

While bonuses can be pretty large at Cisco - to pull down that kind of coin in one year (almost $1/2 million before taxes) and have a loan against your 401K, an increase in an equity line, a mortgage, a car loan and be $45k in credit card debt - someone would either have to have a SERIOUS drug or gambling problem. And with all the airing of dirty laundry, that would have surely come out.

uh huh :crazy: . He could have wiped out that 45k in cc debt pretty easy. Since the payments were spread over 4 quarters, supposedly, and he had removed all cc's from Nancy and access to the checking account, it could have disappeared quickly and with much less interest than paying over time.

But I have to say in Brad's defense - this report of earnings falls into the category of rumor and speculation still. No confirmation this is true.

only a forensic accountant might be able to track the spending, but my feeling is that nancy bought herself certain things (like $200 jeans) after she found out brad had bought something expensive for himself.

she may have felt she earned it.

they say he earned the bonus in '07.

Well, I will say that the $285K bonus, on top of his $160K yearly salary, was an 'A HA!' moment for me.

An additional 285,000 reasons WHY he most likely murdered his dear sweet wife!

Funny how that wasn't brought up in the 'legal separation' document nor any of the affidavits. Poor Brad, by supplying all this documentation he tried to make it look as if Nancy was taking him to the cleaners financially.:boohoo:

YET! He failed to mention the additional bonus received which was equivilant to 178% of his years salary.

Just goes to show, can't believe everything you read! Including an affidavit, which is signed under the threat of perjury.

Oh, but I am fairly confident, that bonus is in there somewhere, just NOT the amount, because it was most likely in favor of Brad. Oh, yeah, wasn't there some type of an investment or brokerage or some type of account? No amount given but he was to retain that?

Like I said, it's all in the DETAILS.

NO life insurance? Maybe not, but an additional $285K, or $168K or so after taxes, could tide Brad over for awhile until he recovered from the loss of his family.

Course now,.................. Nancy won't be needing her half.......

JMHO
fran

uh huh :crazy: . He could have wiped out that 45k in cc debt pretty easy. Since the payments were spread over 4 quarters, supposedly, and he had removed all cc's from Nancy and access to the checking account, it could have disappeared quickly and with much less interest than paying over time.

But I have to say in Brad's defense - this report of earnings falls into the category of rumor and speculation still. No confirmation this is true.

Notice the capitalization of "IF".
:rolleyes:

was brad a salaried staff employee of cisco or an independant contractor who worked out of the cisco office (like microsoft employees) who file 1099s?

for independent contractors, the aim is to lower the taxed figure by claiming
legal, legitimate deductions.

maybe brad's tax return reflected that.
maybe he hid money in offshore accounts.
$285,000 is a very hefty bonus.

did that come in december the year that he threatened suicide? maybe he felt like he didn't want to give up half that bonus in a divorce.

he may have started moving around to conceal from nancy after there was mention of divorce.

we've been told Cisco paid for his MBA. Nobody does that for contract employees.

I am 100% certain that his bonus, whether it be cash or options, would have to have been disclosed to the divorce attorneys, so long as it had been awarded by settlement date.

I think a bonus > 100% of your salary is BS, and DEFINITELY a cash bonus, but that is MO.

Okay, just getting caught up, but something from NC #16 caught my eye -- BC checking Lifetime for NC. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive because I personally avoid exercise, but if you just finished a run, would you then go to a gym, especially if you had plans to meet a friend? BC knew all of this BEFORE he checked Lifetime for her. Why check there? :waitasec:

I think the bonus is overstated, but the salary sounds about right. He also likely has a decent amount of stock options if he has not exercised them - although many are probably underwater now - now the OPTIONS may have been issued for the $285K or whatever someone called out vesting over x years, etc., but I don't see a bonus of that size. IIRC, he was to retain the stock options in the proposed settlement agreement.

While bonuses can be pretty large at Cisco - to pull down that kind of coin in one year (almost $1/2 million before taxes) and have a loan against your 401K, an increase in an equity line, a mortgage, a car loan and be $45k in credit card debt - someone would either have to have a SERIOUS drug or gambling problem. And with all the airing of dirty laundry, that would have surely come out.

Or.........someone seeing an impending divorce in their immediate future, could be 'hiding assets' and running up debt, to minimize as much as possible, the blow to their financial security.

Wonder if a forensic accountant and a forensic computer analyst could detect any little secret overseas bank accounts for Mr. Cooper?:eek:

This is definitely, getting interesting. ;)

JMHO
fran

Okay, just getting caught up, but something from NC #16 caught my eye -- BC checking Lifetime for NC. Maybe I'm hopelessly naive because I personally avoid exercise, but if you just finished a run, would you then go to a gym, especially if you had plans to meet a friend? BC knew all of this BEFORE he checked Lifetime for her. Why check there? :waitasec:
Verification that he "searched"? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member