Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the current topic but there was so much debate regarding Brad's income. This link is from 2006 but, maybe I'm reading it wrong, it seems to indicate that in order to pay $2000/month for child support, the gross monthly income would be ~$16,000, which would equate to around $192,000 annual income. Does anyone from North Carolina know if these tables are accurate and if this is, in fact, how child support is determined?

http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/981.pdf

I checked our Canadian child support tables for Alberta and it says someone with an income over $150,000/year would pay $2096 in monthly child support plus 1.32% of the income over $150K. Other costs associated with the upbringing is usually split 50/50 between both parents (sports, lessons, healthcare costs that aren't covered). Although their drafted separation agreement states that Brad would cover private schools for the girls, there really aren't a great deal of private schools up here.

Just throwing that out there while we wait for the SWs to be unsealed.

I've wondered if the proposed terms of the draft divorce settlement were indeed "usual". At first glance, it seemed fairly excessive to me (without knowing of course the exact incoming level of BC). IIRC, the 2K/month in child-support was going to be in addition to a (yet unnamed) alimony also.

Maybe it was just the first-round of negotation, and (like most "first offers" of negotiation, it was intentionally one-sided in hopes of getting what one "really wants" in the middle). [ ie, I want to spend 5K for the car... I will offer the dealer 2K and see what happens... ]

Anyway, not sure if anyone else familiar can speak to whether the proposed terms (including some of the financial specifics) seemed unusual... or... completely customary (for a first salvo anyway).

I'm curious what elements of this case seem unusual to you?

Hi SG!.. Good question, and I gave it some thought. Maybe it's "just me", but among the elements that strike me as "intriguing" include the fairly massive community search and interest... the ex-parte hearing and prompt decision...the subsequent "terms" of the current (temporary) custody agreement... the 911 call from friend on the day of to report... the "drama" contained in the public custody affidavits... etc.

If this case was one of the (sadly frequent) "typical" tragedies, then I'm not sure there would be quite as much multi-national media coverage on it, quite as much public interest, etc...

[ I recall seeing the google stats from shortly after the custody affidavits were published... iirc, the #9 highest search query issued through google that week was for Heather Metour... not #9 query of all the google queries from North Carolina... not the #9 query of all the google queries from the States... not the #9 query from all the google queries in North America..... it was the #9 query when compared to all google queries launched that week IN THE WORLD ]

Not saying there's never been a case exactly like this (has there?) and maybe the above example items are indeed characteristic of all murder cases (and I'm just naive, or easily intrigued...), ... but for what it's worth, they do strike me as being at a minimum "intriguing", and yeah, I'd go so far as to say "unusual".

Just MHO of course. Am I the only one who doesn't exactly put this case in the "run of the mill / garden-variety" category?

among the elements that strike me as "intriguing" include the fairly massive community search and interest

As far as a 'massive' community search I'm not sure what constitutes 'massive,' and I suppose that's a subjective thing anyway. The numbers referenced were something like a couple hundred volunteers in total came out over 2 days to search and the searching took place on Sunday 7/13 and Monday 7/14 and then she was found the evening of 7/14. Compared to Laci Peterson and the search for her, the Cooper search was tiny by comparison and only a fraction of the time, of course.

Let's see, who else had a community search involved? Oh, Lori Hacking of Utah, Stacey Peterson of IL (FBI involved there), Kim Whittan & daughter of AL, Susan Fast of FL, just to name a few. Anywhere from a couple hundred to thousands of people search, depending on how long the person is missing. So, no, the Cooper case doesn't seem very different than any other missing person case and narrowing that down, it's right in-line with missing 'spouse' cases and the effort to search.

If this case was one of the (sadly frequent) "typical" tragedies, then I'm not sure there would be quite as much multi-national media coverage on it, quite as much public interest, etc

This case is very typical. The media coverage is also typical. The national media picks up these stories depending on what else is going on in the news, how 'appealing' the victim is to audiences (sad to say), and other factors that we might not fully understand. There's media 'heat' for several days, maybe a week or two and usually the case starts to fade a bit, more so in the national news. Updates are given when there's info. Look at the Michelle Young case as one example. Now the Laci case of course stayed in the national news every day for months and on into the trial.

Not saying there's never been a case exactly like this (has there?)

See all the cases above and Google "missing wife" if you'd like to see many, many more. And that's just for the wife. We're not even talking husband or children.

Am I the only one who doesn't exactly put this case in the "run of the mill / garden-variety" category?

Don't know about that, but IMHO this case is extremely 'run-of-the-mill.' Unhappy marriage, estranged couple, wife goes 'missing' and is found dead...murdered...husband being looked at closely, there's an affair uncovered. Yeah...way way too common, unfortunately. This case falls right into the middle of the bell curve of missing spouse/murdered cases in terms of the details. Nothing uncommon about it AT.ALL. This one is plain vanilla, actually.

Do you all seriously think that LE didn't seal the bottom of the "tall" package to protect whatever is inside from potential contamination, like all the other sealed up bags being carted out of the house ?

Not at the moment of that picture it doesn't appear to be 'sealed.' Maybe they did it moments later, I don't know. Also, perhaps the thing that drew their attention was in the middle or at the top and that part was fully covered. Hard to say, actually.

Not at the moment of that picture it doesn't appear to be 'sealed.' Maybe they did it moments later, I don't know. Also, perhaps the thing that drew their attention was in the middle or at the top and that part was fully covered. Hard to say, actually.

If CCBI didn't seal it inside the house, then they may as well have left it there, if true it is not sealed, it will be thrown out and rightfully so.

maybe the bottom that is scene is some sort of tarp that is covering the bottom of the actual object of interest.

sadly, some collection mistakes have been made on some murder cases.
just a few more days and we may know what that object is...

i just read the forensic astrologer's blog last night and found it eerie.

could there have been another man involved in killing nancy or disposing of her body?
during marital strife,
wives complain about their husbands to their friends and husbands do the same.
but what if you spent the whole night ragging about your friend's wife and then he killed her within a matter of hours?

i would feel terrible and would be cooperating with the police.

Wow - when you put it that way, it's amazing it even made the news. ;)

Murder always makes the news in one form or another. And missing moms with adorable little kids 'play' to a national audience and into the fears of so many. The details of the crime itself are what I think will be 'plain vanilla.' Compare a crime like this to something like Jeffrey Dahmer, or a Casey Anthony, or a Ted Bundy or Manson family. Quite different, wouldn't you say?

Seriously...do a Google search and tell me the kinds of numbers and hits you get. Then do some searches to look at the statistics.

I suppose if one is determined to see this case as exceptional, rare, massive and other various adjectives, the fact there are hundreds of other similar cases out there will not alter that opinion. That in no way diminishes the importance or impact of THIS case, or any of the individual cases to the local community, the families, the friends, and people that care about those missing and/or murdered women.

Murder always makes the news in one form or another. And missing moms with adorable little kids 'play' to a national audience and into the fears of so many. The details of the crime itself are what I think will be 'plain vanilla.' Compare a crime like this to something like Jeffrey Dahmer, or a Casey Anthony, or a Ted Bundy or Manson family. Quite different, wouldn't you say?

Good points. I guess, as you say, it's all "relative" anyway. :) In order to distinguish "usual/unusual", I guess it's helpful/necessary to establish the base/sample set for comparison. When compared to all criminal cases, my thought (but maybe I'm crazy) is that this one has some unique attributes (this is my main assertion).

If we compare it to all "wife-who-wasn't-getting-along-with-her-husband-and-is-now-found-dead" cases, then yeah, it's probably more (sadly) "usual" (at least on the surface, based on what we currently know) when compared with that sample set. If we compare it to "wife-found-murdered-as compared-to-famous-psycho-serial-killer-cases-in-history", then yeah, I agree, this one is probably downright "vanilla", as you say, and maybe even dull. :)

You responded to a couple of my examples of why I think the case has some unusual aspects, but not all (e.g. the ex-parte stuff, the custody affidavit assertions, etc). Even, as you say, the media attention isn't unheard of, but if we were to look at all the "wife-not-getting-along-with-husband-and-is-now-found-dead" cases that happen in North America, didn't this one get a little more media coverage than the average? [ If yes, then that's an example of something "unique/unusual" about it ]

Anyway, regardless, for me, I'm still of the opinion that there are some things about this case that strike me as intriguing if not unusual (when compared with other criminal cases). Maybe I'm the only one... (and again, just MHO).

No matter what, let's hope this one doesn't fall into the (usual or not) bucket of the "unsolved".

If CCBI didn't seal it inside the house, then they may as well have left it there, if true it is not sealed, it will be thrown out and rightfully so.
True, that. I assume they are professionals who know how to do their jobs and that they have been well-trained so I'm sure they took the necessary precautions and steps. People still love to speculate though and if only we had x-ray vision! :wink:

True, that. I assume they are professionals who know how to do their jobs and that they have been well-trained so I'm sure they took the necessary precautions and steps. People still love to speculate though and if only we had x-ray vision! :wink:

Kinda have a sour taste for CCBI following the Michelle Young case. Hope they learned from the mistakes made in that case.

X-ray vision would indeed be nice as I have a feeling that even if the warrants are released it will be the same as other cases, anything collected for forensic value and testing will not be listed in the inventory returned with the warrant.

And through that transparent paint I see that heinous picture of him in his little effeminate girly speedos.

Speedos are effeminate? Now I'm going to have to rethink my view of everyone from Mark Spitz in '72 up to and through the 90's and every other male Olympic athlete that wore them, as well as every triathlete that wears them. My world view may have just shifted, and not in a good way! :wink:

BTW, I don't see Scott Heider as heinous at all. He believes his friend didn't commit this crime; he may change his mind later, or maybe he won't. A man who clearly loves his sons and is nurturing and cares about them and was probably hurt very badly from a spouse who cheated on him (with at least one, if not more men). I reserve such (derogatory) terms for like O.J. Simpson, Mark Hacking, Neil Entwistle, etc, etc. A guy who likes to exercise and do Ironmen competitions? Pretty low on the 'horrible/heinous scale.' I'd rather spend an evening in his company than say, one of the Enron crooks or the killer of Michelle Young. At a minimum I'd probably get some good exercise/workout tips and a meal balanced with the right % of protein/carbs/fat. :smile:

Kinda have a sour taste for CCBI following the Michelle Young case. Hope they learned from the mistakes made in that case.
I'm unaware of the details in the M.Y. case so yes, if mistakes were made I sure hope CCBI learned from them. Then again the DA is so reticent to prosecute that one wonders if he would ever feel comfortable to proceed without a video of the perp committing the murder and several eyewitnesses in addition. But hey, I'm not bitter. Much. :furious:

signed,
Still not over O.J. walking free in '95

...anything collected for forensic value and testing will not be listed in the inventory returned with the warrant.

Wow... interesting. What real purpose does the inventory section serve then I wonder. If LE can omit listing anything that is determined to be of "forensic value", are they at least obligated to keep a separate inventory list somewhere of those items deemed to be of "forensic" value [ and therefore not listed on the primary inventory list (aka the "list of all non-interesting-things" list) ]?

OT...thanks everyone for the well wishes. :blowkiss: My decision to have the oral surgery this morning came after the costs of the dentist for the root canal, the periodontist for bone build up and then the crown. It was not even close to 100% confirmation this would work, I decided on the surgery with an implant...$2500+, with a closer guarantee.
I hope in my next life I go into dentistry...

Back to the NC case.....

OT...thanks everyone for the well wishes. :blowkiss: My decision to have the oral surgery this morning came after the costs of the dentist for the root canal, the periodontist for bone build up and then the crown. It was not even close to 100% confirmation this would work, I decided on the surgery with an implant...$2500+, with a closer guarantee.
I hope in my next life I go into dentistry...

Back to the NC case.....

Yuck! Hope you feel better soonest!

Maybe it's not just the weight alone .. but the weight over 6 feet of iron.. if it's a side rail it's at LEAST that long .. as those are the shortest ones available .. and the way the guy is carrying it... too loosely...

The shortest length of a bed rail is 6'3" and that is a twin bed.(191cm) A day bed uses a twin mattress, but not a bed rail for the mattress. It is a full 1 pc metal unit that bolts to the 3 sides, so that a trundle can be used underneath if one wants to have another mattress.

I keep looking at the man carrying it out and he does not use a hand to grasp it like one should have to.

I really did think like NCN? mentioned it might be a pole lamp, but after parading around here with mine and dropping it...it just can't be carried with out a grasp either.

The only other thing I keep thinking is a possible small rug or the BMW trunk liner/mat.

The length, width, weight and grasp is the key to this item. :waitasec:

I keep thinking the bag looking like a pillow might be associated with this long item, since they are coming out the same time and possibly from the same room.

i think what sets nancy's case apart from many others is being able to read those affidavits regarding the custody. they really painted a very dramatic portrait of a troubled marriage, a marriage where the wife ended up being murdered.

a "missing jogger' was reminiscent of the runaway bride. people were wondering whether this would be the same outcome. i think people felt like the issues involved were things that they may have faced in their own lives during a divorce. why did nancy end up dead and they didn't? they might be feeling like they could have been nancy.

and seeing the lovely little girls who lost their mother, plus the drama of the victim's parents trying to keep them away from the man they feel killed their daughter.

it has all of the elements to hold the public's attention.

it is a story about money not buying happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member