Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a full service one where employees clean out the car? Just curious!

No, it is on a corner attached to a jiffy lube type place, but you just put your coins in and drive-thru, it is open 24 hours. It does have a vacuum area though. It is accessible 24/7.

To hope to prove murder, a prosecutor needs both inculpatory evidence and corroborating evidence. If all a prosecutor has is evidence that the trial Judge establishes to be corroborating evidence, that is insufficient evidence.

HTH

Maybe in theory, but what is needed once the case is brought to trial is 12 jurors in agreement finding the defendent guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You can argue all you want about inculpatory vs. exculpatory vs. corroborating evidence, but it's the JURORS who ultimately decide. Obviously it helps to have a brilliant prosecutor and unimpeachable evidence, but as long as the JURORS believe the prosecution case over the defense case and they render a UNANAMOUS decision in favor of CONVICTION, that is all that counts. Doesn't matter how they came to the conclusion. All that matters IS THE CONCLUSION.

See, too me, his not attending doesn't really "look bad". I'm not a private person particularly, but I do tend to want to be alone when I'm sad. If something tragic happened to someone I loved, I wouldn't really want to mourn in front of the public. I don't see that as evidence against him. Likewise, *if* he were innocent, I wouldn't judge him for not fighting the custody. He's clearly a suspect. Even if he weren't guilty, he may think that his daughters would be better off elsewhere for the time being. Again, not evidence against him in my book.

Plenty of other stuff doesn't look right to me, but those two things don't seem like evidence to me (not even circumstantial).
I agree those two things are not evidence. That was sort of the point I was making. When I was watching Court TV during the Neil Entwistle trial all the talking heads mentioned that had he not run back to the UK his defense team "might" have had a better shot at winning the case.
Jurors are people, people have emotions and the majority of people, I believe, would think him not showing up is very narcissistic behavior. Yes, he is hurting(????) but what about his children, her parents, ect. It's not about him now. It shows very cowardly behavior IMHO. It's all about the jury thinking "What would a reasonable person do?" When you love someone nothing but being in the hospital usually keeps you from their services. These are all things jurors look at. I am not saying it's RIGHT. But history has shown that a lot of these cases are based on emotions.

Maybe in theory, but what is needed once the case is brought to trial is 12 jurors in agreement finding the defendent guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You can argue all you want about inculpatory vs. exculpatory vs. corroborating evidence, but it's the JURORS who ultimately decide. Obviously it helps to have a brilliant prosecutor and unimpeachable evidence, but as long as the JURORS believe the prosecution case over the defense case and they render a UNANAMOUS decision in favor of CONVICTION, that is all that counts. Doesn't matter how they came to the conclusion. All that matters IS THE CONCLUSION.

Incorrect.

When all of the People's evidence is but corroborating evidence, the trial Judge, by law, is required to issue a directed verdict for the defendant. In other words, the Judge is required to acquit the defendant.

If the carwash was used it is easy to gain access to the information since the owner of it lives .5 of a mile away from it. The owner is well known and I am sure he would turn over any records of transactions that occured in helping the police in this matter.

I hate to disagree with you again Wudge, but what is needed for a conviction is a good prosecutor and enough evidence to convince a jury beyond a REASONABLE doubt. That's it!

A voice of reason. Refreshing!

Susan

If the carwash was used it is easy to gain access to the information since the owner of it lives .5 of a mile away from it. The owner is well known and I am sure he would turn over any records of transactions that occured in helping the police in this matter.
Thanks so much! :) I haven't seen any photos of the Cooper's house other than the front. Are the neighbors right across the street, and how close next door?

Let me try this again...the carwash that was discussed in a previous post is at the intersection of Penny Rd and Kildaire Farm Rd. I said the owner of the carwash lives only .5 mile from the carwash and I am sure he would give any transactions that occured to the police if they ask for it. The car wash is not run by someone that would be hard to locate.
The carwash is about 2 miles from the Cooper home.

Let me try this again...the carwash that was discussed in a previous post is at the intersection of Penny Rd and Kildaire Farm Rd. I said the owner of the carwash lives only .5 mile from the carwash and I am sure he would give any transactions that occured to the police if they ask for it. The car wash is not run by someone that would be hard to locate.
Good idea, and I hope they are looking at all the car washes in the area.

Mom, I'm just going from memory, but when y'all are talking about a car wash connected to a Jiffy Lube, I'm thinking that you're talking about one where the old barn was at Kildare Farm (across the Parkway from Applebee's).

If that's the case, I thought that I'd mention that (once again, based entirely on memory) it seems like there's a drive-thru/auto-dealy at the 24 hr convenient store in Macedonia (I think it's now called "Swift Creek Crossings" or something), which would actually be closer to where the body was found.

Not to mention that there used to be a self-service thing down around Handee Hugos on Maynard (it's where the road behind Kroger's comes out) and last time I was home (6 years ago), it seems like there was a shopping center under construction, where the Parkway meets Holly Springs and I have no idea about what's there...

OK - Now I see which car wash that you're referring and as I mentioned in my request for clarification, there's a lot of car washes around, especially those attached to convenient stores. Heck, there's a car wash at the little store at the entrance to MacGregor Park, it seems like there may be a convenient store behind the hospital or by the entrance to Regency; There's at least one car wash by the Adam's house (next exit up the highway) and if you go down an exit, there was a self-service at South Hills and a couple of drive-thru things in that same area...

There's really a lot of car washes and those not drive-thru wouldn't have any records and even those aren't being filmed, except maybe in-directly from another store. (For example, the drug store or Food Lion cameras might catch a corner of the Penny/Kildare car wash)

If Brad was into keeping his cars impeccably clean, as his personality suggests, he might have known that the car wash at the gas station on the corner of Ten Ten and Kildaire Farm is an even better and more thorough car wash. IMO.

If Brad was into keeping his cars impeccably clean, as his personality suggests, he might have known that the car wash at the gas station on the corner of Ten Ten and Kildaire Farm is an even better and more thorough car wash. IMO.

...and what's the hours of that Lowes Foods? The Food Lion at Penny and Kildare was on-again, off-again 24 hours and I'm pretty sure that the Food Lion at Macedonia was 24 hour, the last time that I was in town... My point being that if Brad did wash the car on his late night run and if he used any of these other car washes, why would he have driven back to Harris-Teeter for the bleach?

Heck... Isn't there a 24 hour Hardee's at Macedonia (Swift Creek)? In theory, he could've dumped the body, drove up the hill to the car wash, bought the bleach and picked-up a sausage biscuit for breakfast, all at one intersection.

BTW: To those not familiar with the area; The Triangle as a whole and Cary in particular is littered with 24-hour stores and businesses. The population skews very young and highly educated, so the 24-hour life is much more the norm.

I just have some problems with him doing too much running around while the children were home alone. I can see him going out to dispose of Nancy and make a quick stop at a store, but unless of course he gave them some kind of medication, just how would he be sure the little girls didn't wake up while he was gone and go outside their bedroom?

I just have some problems with him doing too much running around while the children were home alone. I can see him going out to dispose of Nancy and make a quick stop at a store, but unless of course he gave them some kind of medication, just how would he be sure the little girls didn't wake up while he was gone and go outside their bedroom?

I am not sure if he cared much about the girls at all..at that point. :rolleyes:

...and what's the hours of that Lowes Foods? The Food Lion at Penny and Kildare was on-again, off-again 24 hours and I'm pretty sure that the Food Lion at Macedonia was 24 hour, the last time that I was in town... My point being that if Brad did wash the car on his late night run and if he used any of these other car washes, why would he have driven back to Harris-Teeter for the bleach?

Heck... Isn't there a 24 hour Hardee's at Macedonia (Swift Creek)? In theory, he could've dumped the body, drove up the hill to the car wash, bought the bleach and picked-up a sausage biscuit for breakfast, all at one intersection.

Who is to say that he went to a car wash on the same grocery trip. As I said in a previous post, there is no reason why he couldn't have packed up the girls, and driven to a car wash on Satuday, before she was reported missing. Almost as an afterthought kind of errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea