NC - Boys 8, 9, & 11 rape 9 yr old girl

Lavonne, Boys of this age are taught this, IMO I in some way do blame the way our contry is so obsessed with sex. It is everywhere. I can not begin to think they were all sexually abused. Maybe they saw momma and daddy doing this I dont know. I am just trying to come to terms on how children at that age even know what this is. Hell at their age I had no clue. I was always against those who say the violent games turn kids violent, but I am starting to rethink my ways a little. There has to be a reason to all of this maddness our children are doing these days. I do agree this is a huge case of neglect, but where at their ages do they learn this?

Doesn't Europe as a whole air more sexually-related television programs than the United States? I thought I read somewhere that they have one of the lowest rape/violent crime statistics in the world. The only difference here is that the United States airs many more VIOLENT shows.

Rape is a violent crime, so the violent TV/video games could have been a factor here.

I wouldn't blame it on entirely on sex, but on a combination of bad parenting (possibly not watching the boys sufficiently and they were looking at *advertiser censored* on the Internet) and violent TV and video games.

Everyday "family" shows are *advertiser censored* nowadays. You can't turn on the tv without getting raw sex and sleazy inuendo. We need to bring back censorship. If adults want *advertiser censored* and sleazy, let them subscribe and pay for it - keep it away from the kiddies.:furious:

This is the United States of America. Last time I checked, censorship was NOT included in the Constitution of the United States of America. The First Amendment right to Free Speech IS, however, in the Constitution.

I've NEVER seen a "family" show that was *advertiser censored*, or even remotely resembling *advertiser censored*. If you're so concerned about innuendo, then be a good parent and get a TV with a V-chip and lock your kids out of those channels!!!!

Are you serious? Are you blaming a horrific act like this on the media? Where are these kids parents while they are watching MTV and cruising for *advertiser censored* on the internet?

IMO, this is a clear case of neglect on the boys parents.

lavonne, my point was that MTV is available just about everywhere and it's on all day long. It's a starting point not the cause. You don't need to cruise for *advertiser censored*...watch MSM that's on when kids are up. Perhaps it is the parents fault, but I suspect it goes way beyond that.

My goodness, I looked up this movie and it is rated R. Under 17, requires an adult. If a movie is rated R and needs a parent to "accompany" a teenager to a movie, do you think there is a reason.

Check the movie before you go.......we do.

Don't blame the people who made the movie, but the people who go expecting an R rating to mean something other then an R rating.

Morals is what you teach your kids at home, not what movie producers "think" when they make a movie for the "general" public in which they want people to see and to make a profit. Morals are for parents, not movie producers.

Gee do you think we liked to go and see Pokemon movies with our oldest. Not. We took turns "leaving" to go to the bookstore. But did I subject our son to "our kind" of movies, no, we went out and got a sitter.

I mean if you allow your child to watch "American Dad" and complain about the show. Then don't allow you child to watch it. Turn the channel, use the V chip, lock the channel, you have the power and control of what kids watch, after all you are the parent.

I am I going to allow our 16 year old to watch and 18+ TV show on late night TV, not until he is 18. Because those shows have "adult" content and are not appropriate for him.

WELL SAID! I agree 110%!!!!!

I believe the parents are at some fault here,parents are resposible for teaching right from wrong,how we treat one another,we are responsible for everything our children do until they are 18 and in some cases until they are 21. My kids know if I don't like it they can't watch,listen to or do it period. I banned ICP cause I didn't like the message it sent about women and I so didn't want their baby bro hearing it.

Are you serious? Are you blaming a horrific act like this on the media? Where are these kids parents while they are watching MTV and cruising for *advertiser censored* on the internet?

IMO, this is a clear case of neglect on the boys parents.

i do blame the media .. so much violence and ect on tv and in songs . most parents have to work long hours to support kids . alot of times they cant be around to mind them all of the time .and sometimes the people they trust to watch them dont do such a hot job .. flame me if you want but alot of adults are teaching these kids these things by the crap that they produce . they grow up seeing it and think its ok . then when you do try to disipline them you have people stepping in saying OMG you abuse your child ! i dont feel time outs and all of that always work( for small children yes) sometimes when they are older they need a kick in the butt (teens )..alot of these kids are in control and they know it .imho however when i grew up i knew my place . my mom and step dad where very loving but very strict too .

This is the United States of America. Last time I checked, censorship was NOT included in the Constitution of the United States of America. The First Amendment right to Free Speech IS, however, in the Constitution.

I've NEVER seen a "family" show that was *advertiser censored*, or even remotely resembling *advertiser censored*. If you're so concerned about innuendo, then be a good parent and get a TV with a V-chip and lock your kids out of those channels!!!!

Well, since I live alone I don't need any chips, but I turn off a lot of "shows" because they disgust me - and they're on prime time.

Censorship? Yes, indeedee we did have it in movies and television. Too bad it went out the window.

I'm not a prude and like sex as well as the next person, however, I prefer it where it belongs and it isn't on my TV screen where children, or myself, are subjected to it any time of the night or day. I'm simply wishing they'd clean up the naked bodies, suggestive humping, and filthy talk. If anyone wants to watch and hear that stuff let them, not society, pay for it. And society does pay with little girls raped, women beaten, raped, and killed, boys assaulted, and the beat goes on. I blame a LOT of today's sexual sickness/crime right on television and movie's doorstep.

I'd like to know more about the boys that did this crime. Are they from low-income families or on welfare? Are their fathers in their lives or are they from a single parent situation? Do the mothers work and if so, do they work late hours, etc.?

I'm just curious as to what extenuating circumstances could have caused this event to happen? Maybe they were in the care of someone who molested them? Maybe their babysitter or parent wasn't attentive enough to them and they were able to cruise some *advertiser censored* sites on the Internet?

however when i grew up i knew my place . my mom and step dad where very loving but very strict too .

You are making my point for me.

Too many people use the TV, internet, video games etc....to "watch" their kids for them. It has become all too easy to let the boob tube take our children off our hands, if only for a while, and know they are safe sitting in our living rooms....but are they safe? Not if we don't monitor what they are seeing.

Clearly your parents chose a different route, as did mine.

I just cannot understand the mentality that the media is to blame for 3 juveniles raping a 9 year old girl....or, how it would have contributed to it in the least, unless the parents were neglectful and let these kids run loose.

When I was a kid I almost never watched TV, and there was no internet. We ran free in the streets and as long as you were home when the street lights came on, all was good.

Clearly times have changed, and more and more parents are keeping their children close to ensure their physical safety. But is planting them in front of a TV to vegetate while watching questionable material the media's fault, or our own? Do we do this to keep them safe or to soothe our nerves?

Well, since I live alone I don't need any chips, but I turn off a lot of "shows" because they disgust me - and they're on prime time.

Censorship? Yes, indeedee we did have it in movies and television. Too bad it went out the window.

I'm not a prude and like sex as well as the next person, however, I prefer it where it belongs and it isn't on my TV screen where children, or myself, are subjected to it any time of the night or day. I'm simply wishing they'd clean up the naked bodies, suggestive humping, and filthy talk. If anyone wants to watch and hear that stuff let them, not society, pay for it. And society does pay with little girls raped, women beaten, raped, and killed, boys assaulted, and the beat goes on. I blame a LOT of today's sexual sickness/crime right on television and movie's doorstep.

I pay for it every month on my Comcast cable bill. Society has yet to foot my bill... I do not believe for one second that what a person has seen on TV or in a movie has any merit in making them the person they are today. It is the parent's responsibility, not the TV producer's or the cable company's, to mold their children into responsible, respectful adults.

I know how to supervise what I allow my child to watch on cable. I have a TV with a V-chip and as a responsible parent, I use it. There are some parents out there in the world that just don't give a damn what their kids are doing and that's the plain truth.

We can't shield our children from everything in the world, but a responsible parent will do their part to raise morally sound, intelligent, respectful individuals, which I have a feeling that the parents of these little boys failed to do from the start.

On a side note, honestly, the last sexually suggestive thing I've seen on broadcast TV was the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake fiasco at the Super Bowl two years back! :hand:

Edited to add: I'm sick and tired of people blaming this and that for things that happen. People need to OWN UP TO THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES and ACCEPT THE BLAME for what is happening in their lives!

Lavonne, Boys of this age are taught this, IMO I in some way do blame the way our contry is so obsessed with sex. It is everywhere. I can not begin to think they were all sexually abused. Maybe they saw momma and daddy doing this I dont know. I am just trying to come to terms on how children at that age even know what this is. Hell at their age I had no clue. I was always against those who say the violent games turn kids violent, but I am starting to rethink my ways a little. There has to be a reason to all of this maddness our children are doing these days. I do agree this is a huge case of neglect, but where at their ages do they learn this?

I doubt that one game or one video or one movie turns anybody anything. But like you, I'm beginning to rethink the effect of a steady diet of violent and sexual images.

As the British playwright, Claire McIntyre, once wrote:

"You have to do something with the images that are put in your head. You can't just pretend they aren't there."

I doubt that one game or one video or one movie turns anybody anything. But like you, I'm beginning to rethink the effect of a steady diet of violent and sexual images.

"You have to do something with the images that are put in your head. You can't just pretend they aren't there."

EXACTLY!

For what it's worth, I, too, grew up playing cowboys and Indians and soldiers and gladiators and I never missed a horror movie. Yet I turned out to be a lifelong pacifist. But we had 3 TV channels and I rarely spent more than an hour a day watching the tube.

And I do agree with those who believe parents should monitor what their children watch.

I hope no one took what i said the wrong way. I do not believe the media is the only reason these kids did this. I am just trying to understand how children of this age even knows what sex is. There are sexy billboards, sexy stores, sexy everything. I just dont think they couldve all be abused theirselves, but dont know. And yes I do put PART of the blame on the media, but most of it on the parents. These children learned this from somewhere, just trying to understand where.

A steady diet of unremitting violence and out of context sex scenes in computer games, on tv & in the movies can in my opinion lead to a blunting of the senses, not only for children.

As individuals we do not have to abdicate responsibility, we can make sure that our young are educated to know what sexual activity means. That rape is not sex & that what's seen on tv is fiction and fantasy.

I'm not trying to scapegoat anyone but really neither the government nor the media can raise a child or teach a child the difference between right & wrong.

I know that boys are interested in sex early but 8 and 9???? My son is almost 9 and still thinks girls are gross. I cant even imagine.

I know that boys are interested in sex early but 8 and 9???? My son is almost 9 and still thinks girls are gross. I cant even imagine.
ya im wondering that too i mean are they even physically able to do anything at that age? and for the parents planting the kids in front of the tv . i think when you are with your kids there should be limits to tv time my son and i went fishing alot when i was home from work or he played with his friends we didnt have intranet or cable in fact i didnt get any of that till around 2002 or so lol i didnt have time but i quit my job and got another to where i wasnt working 12 hours a day my body finally wore out and i couldnt do it anymore plus that is when my hubby came into my life and he worked too so it really helped alot

Ain't that the truth! I have to say, an R movie isn't what it used to be. They are getting a LOT more vulgar. Hubby and I watched "Knocked up" a couple weeks ago. I found it to be pretty darn crude.
Haven't seen that movie, but oral sex on a stuffed animal? Sick!

I just ran over to IMDB real quick... the sentiments over there echo yours. I think one post says "I felt like I was watching soft core *advertiser censored*." Guess I won't be picking this one up at the rental store any time soon.

I don't think these movies cause the problem - but the increased sexuality and violence (especially together) do create an awareness we never had before, and a social numbing where things do not shock us like they used to. Reading my long dead great grandmother's diary, she said she was seriously chastised for picking up the corner of another little girl's dress. That was then. Now, there are mostly naked women gyrating on commercials and even on the school bus.

Times they are a' changing. Certainly we're not getting more peaceful.

Everyday "family" shows are *advertiser censored* nowadays. You can't turn on the tv without getting raw sex and sleazy inuendo. We need to bring back censorship. If adults want *advertiser censored* and sleazy, let them subscribe and pay for it - keep it away from the kiddies.:furious:

I agree 100%. Even many shows that I really like have too much sex and inuendo in them. I find myself uncomfortable with quite a bit of it especially if I am watching with others. I am not a prude but this stuff is embarassing to watch with your mom or your kids.... and this stuff is on primetime TV. Why do they think every show has to have sex in it to make it a good show? I mean most of it just seems unessesary to me.

I do think our society is obsessed with sex but if you say this you will be told you are just uptight about sex...or that you can just choose not to watch....but it is not that easy...and even if you control your own family their are other people and kids watching it and they bring it into your life too. My sons friend would go into explicit detail about scenes from movies he had watched and my son would tell him he wasn't interested but on and on he went about it. I can't imagine what this kids mind is gonna be like because he is so impressed with sex and gore at the tender age of 9.

I just don't need a lot of sex to interest me in a show... the main characters don't have to be having sex or referring to sex all the time. If a show is good it shouldn't even need that. That is not to say that they can't have adult content in some shows but do they have to immerse us in it? Why not show these later at night or on pay channels or limit it to specific channels so you can block the whole channel.

Recently they have begun to show South Park and Family Guy during the afterschool hours. I don't let my son watch them but many of the neighbors don't even pay attention to what their kids are watching (or maybe they do and just don't care, I had a neighbor who constantly let her 9 and 11 year old kids watch horrible violent R rated movies like Texas Chainsaw and Saw I, II and III). I actually think South Park and Family Guy are often hilarious but often way over the top too. I don't mind if people enjoy those shows ...but it should be understood that it is adult humor and not for kids...and not be shown at times when they know kids will watch it.

The other thing is that I used to love Horror movies...but they also have gone too far...they have become so sadistically ultra-violent that I don't watch them anymore. I want to be scared a little, by a ghost or a monster... not watch 2 hours of dismemberment and sadistic butchery of human beings for entertainment....which is what many movies are nowadays...I guess I better not get started on violence now.....

Yes, and while many of us can store them away in our minds and not act on them because we see those acts as inappropriate....many people perhaps cannot. Not all kids are given a moral compass to guide them in how they process these images in their head and I think that is a problem. I think that some people especially some kids see this stuff and they grow to like it and want it to be real....or become somewhat addicted to these images...at the very least they become overly fascinated with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back